[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to get into Virtual Reality development?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 582056_3490.jpg (18KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
582056_3490.jpg
18KB, 750x422px
What's the best way to get into Virtual Reality development?
>>
installing gentoo
>>
install arch linux
>>
installing antergos
>>
installing windows 10, unfortunately.
>>
Buy a headset and think of something that would take advantage of it
>>
rice your desktop
>>
>>57058531
What's your budget?

If you have a flagship Samsung phone, a Gear VR is just $100 extra. Alternatively, you can get a used DK2 really cheap now. It still works with current Oculus drivers. Beyond that I recommend HTC Vive over Oculus Rift. This may change once my Oculus Touch controllers arrive and I get to test Oculus' answer to room scale and hand presence.

Regarding software, Unity is has the gentlest learning curve and supports all the major headsets right out of the box. You can drop an asset in the scene, press play, and see it right there in the headset (except with Gear VR).
>>
>>57058531
A bit of wisdom:
If you want to develop for money mobile VR is the only way. For you.

Between the walled gardens of Facebook and Sony and the childish and autistic users of the Vive the effort of a sole dev is pretty much a useless endeavor.
The Vive users will scowl at your half assed work and the rest will require a certification process someone with a low enough IQ to ask /g/ about this shit will not be able to pass.

VR is more or less a fad past it's prime now. As long as you keep that in mind you might make some money off the downfall of this gaming industry marketing stunt.
>>
>>57058983

For me, VR seems more like a fun pet project to do.
>>
>>57058531
One of my friends did a hackathon recently and won an internship with a VR company and will get to work with them for 6 weeks. There is also a job opening waiting for him but he wants to continue Uni first.

So that's one way...
>>
>>57058531
Read The Unincorporated Man, then go into a career that isn't going to completely destroy western civilization.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.