[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to larger SSD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1476285621071.jpg (3MB, 2848x4288px) Image search: [Google]
1476285621071.jpg
3MB, 2848x4288px
Anyone on /g/ successfully moved a windows os to a larger drive and extended the partition?

how do?
>>
Just use any software for migrating an HDD to an SSD.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>57058580
This
Use dd
>>
>>57058527
I haven't tried. I use Debian now anyways. I just copy all important files to a 64GB flash drive and reinstall the whole operating system, then toss the important files into the appropriate directories of my fresh Debian install. Just werks.

Also with really big stuff like VMs and ISOs for operating systems like OSX and Windows I just leave them and take the torrent files. Then I reinstall my torrent client and download the files again.
>>
gparted copy&paste the partition. Didn't believe it would work, but it did.
>>
>>57058527
Clone disk, extend partition to available space.
>>
pesronally, Just do a clean install of the OS, then hook up your hard drive has a slave. to move "just your files". don't clone, it doesn't always work and if you have corruption. well, its not good.
>>
>>57058677
> it doesn't always work

Werks for me without fail. In fact you can even clone disks and have the OS work on new motherboards as long as you reset some controller drivers.

Far too lazy to reinstall programs and configure them up again.
>>
>>57058527
she has large breasts
>>
>>57058527
Clonezilla. Werks everytime.
>>
>>57058527
>copy whole smaller ssd content to big ssd
>expand partition to use all the bigger ssd or use it as two separate partitions
>done

I'd understand being worried abount moving from a bigger disk to a smaller one, but this is piss easy.
>>
>>57058811
does she? need more evidence.
>>
I tried just that, then I had to move around some partitions that were in the way and that's where it failed. I just made 2 hard disks C and D in the endd
>>
>>57058861
>piss easy
What about the boot partition?
>>
>>57058527
https://my.mixtape.moe/wpozui.webp
>>
>>57058527
I personally use windows backup to make a system image and recover disk, then install new drive, boot from recovery, install from image. Easy shit and no cloning or third party software.
>>
>>57059069
Sounds good. Did you extend the partition of the new, larger drive without problem?
>>
>>57059106
After the install you can just use windows disk management to extend the partition. It will be the size of the old drive.
>>
>>57058527
Is that the chick who called her local news station because her Dell laptop came with Ubuntu?
>>
>>57058527
Don't migrate from an HDD to SSD. The block sizes are different and it'll hinder the performance.

If starting from another SSD, just use dd to clone, followed by gparted to expand.
>>
>>57059275
Block sizes are no different.
>>
I use paragon at home and at the workplace

It just works
Inb4 muh loonix muh foss shill pajeet
>>
man dd
You're welcome.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.