[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come graphical artifacts happen? What actually goes wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

How come graphical artifacts happen? What actually goes wrong?
>>
Error in projection calculation along with inconsistent models, or something like that
>>
this wouldn't happen on gentoo
>>
inaccurate floating-point bullshit probably
>>
>>57057978
A.] There are not enough CPU threads. Anything below 4 threads will cause problems with many games, some will even refuse to start (ie pentiumcucks).

B.] Bugs and glitches in the game caused by a shitty dev. This can be fixed with updates from the dev, assuming dev gives enough fucks to fix it.

C.] System RAM or vRAM is faulty and causing errors.
>>
>>57057978
9/11
>>
>Playing that garbage game
>>
>>57057978
C/pre-C++11 coders that think they know best
>>
>>57058092
>Pa/g/eet shilling for Java again
>>
>>57057978
This is poor coding and engine, the game just works wrong.

But there are also ceses when either the GPU driver doesn't work with the game properly (Nvidia and Dx12) or when a memory error or GPU failure results on part of picture on the screen getting corrupt.
>>
>>57057978
its the lights of venus bouncing on the swamp gases an shiet!
>>
>>57057978
It has to do with the way models are animated.
If for some reason the skeleton animating the model moves out of the body - like a code monkey being a retard and fucking up a simple thing like a game engine while thinking he should be working for NASA (yes I'm looking at you) - the the vertices fly off in the direction of the skeleton.

As for the specifics? I neither know neither do I give a fuck. I just tell the devs to fix it by the end of the week or to gather their shit in a box and look for new employment.
>>
>>57057978

Something fucked up with the armature system where by something wasn't weighted correctly on the model or a glitch in the programming that put some of the bones that the skin was weighted to in some far away location.
>>
>>57057978
dude that missile is turning into a guy
>>
>>57057978
Sometimes it's dying, or faulty graphics cards. Happened to a video card I had recalled a while back
>>
File: youre_gonna_burn_alright.webm (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
youre_gonna_burn_alright.webm
3MB, 720x405px
>>
>>57057978
ubisoft developer working on assassin's creed gets fired and moves to another studio
>>
>>57058748
ALRIGHT MARTY WHEN THIS BABY HITS 3.5
>>
>>57057978
Either math or logic error in the programming (likely) or a hardware error (not likely)

3d engine requires a lot of math, if you do some of it wrong or load incorrect values from models/world data you are going to get this kind of garbage on screen.
>>
>>57058550
Ily

Going off of what >>57058638 said, if that character, for any reason, has to avoid a clip but isn't coded to do so, the game will draw "more wall" and point it at the character model. If for some reason you skip over the check to push the character away, by rotating the camera or using the model in an unintended way ( usually sluggish movement with no proper field of view ), then the check will never happen because it was undefined behavior ( pajeet ). This then causes the wall to keep drawing that short range of pixels over the long segment that now represents your grip, I suppose.
>>
>>57060002
And when I say the game will draw, I mean they coded the game environment to respond as anti-object rather than a full object model. It helps to "outsource" draws in an active environment to some of the earlier calls since you can always just depend on the players that don't mind lag to back up decisions like that. I personally hate lag. It hides a lot.

If you dont' know what an anti-object is, there should be a pretty decent abstract pdf if you just search that term in google. If not, someone say something and I'll put it up on one of the /g/ servers we have here.
>>
>>57060041
Anyway, without sounding like a bitter little prick, you outsource calls to earlier "layers" because in lieu of a texture to draw you gain time for a few extra touch ups. And since character models are usually drawn to canned animations OR are drawn in still rather than interlaced you can predict placement and just integrate. If it's in motion, you get equity out of the divergence/convergence and can plan your character's next moves ( or if you're a more vicarious player, find room for fitting in corrections to your gameplan ) with the help of the calls to draw pretty much acting like "peak activity" for you to respond to physically. Kind of like when you're playing a game with fog and can sense them coming? That's the environment drawing them as a prediction and you feel the difference from your usual draw "schema". It feels bolstered.

Anyway, I think you guys get it. I hate lag. Lag is mostly there to hide a lot of the heavier mechanics from the jump to ps1. It's good to get to us early because then we can get used to things, like with Resident Evil style games, and then you can hide blur actions and filters like that in the lag without us having to worry about any "new" style mechanics.
>>
>>57058675
We wuz ICBMs 'n' shiet.
>>
>>57060130
And by "new" style mechanics I mean dashes that could inferred by motion blur and shit. Instead it's the same model doing the same thing under a filter. The filter can also be used to time your next move if you get used to how long it takes for it to draw to data significant in the transition.
>>
dude what
>>
>>57058006
Because you can't run anything on gentoo
>>
File: misle_badge.png (122KB, 768x1088px) Image search: [Google]
misle_badge.png
122KB, 768x1088px
>>57058675
Looks like the USAF missile career badge.
>>
>>57058748
>>
>>57058748
>>57058778
underrated
>>
But what is the cause? Is it all down to bad coding?
>>
>>57060595
It depends. Some artifacts are because of hardware failure.
>>
Not a problem on consoles
>>
>a fucking nigger
>>
>>57057978
Usually some form of corruption has taken place in the pipeline. Could be the model/bone data has gotten corrupt. Could be a problem with the GPU memory, or the GPU in general.

In that particular case it looks like some of the bones attached to the arms and the front of the jacket have invalid transforms.
>>
The cause is Nvidia OP
>>
>>57057978
is your GPU overclocked?
>>
>>57057978
because of numale and feminist coders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_gVG-Q4o7I
>>
>>57058493
>implying the j is pronounced like a soft g
>>
>>57061519
vid unrelated, btw.

I love the Fox Engine

just watch the final minute for a joke on graphical artifacts and bad engines
>>
>>57057978
Your graphics card dying.
>>
>>57061530
>implying that he's implying
>>
>>57060425
How oddly specific.
>>
>>57057978
Ameriburgers have extended stomach.
>>
Math is hard yo
>>
>>57057978

A huge number of different issues can come from a huge number of different complex systems.

In the image in question, part of the model of the character has been miscalculated such that those vertices are over on a different part of the map and the characters textures are being stretched.

I've seen cool stuff like this happen when an entity is updated to a different part of the map but the events queue isn't checked before the physics engine solves any collisions, so solving any collisions puts part of the entity inside something.
>>
File: 1473833254016.jpg (124KB, 444x460px) Image search: [Google]
1473833254016.jpg
124KB, 444x460px
>>57061653
>You will never live in math land
>>
>>57057978
Programmers not testing for edge cases. Either because of lazyness or performance reasons.
>>
>>57058065
spotted the racist /v/ tard
>>
>>57058038
i think you are autistic
>>
>>57060425
spergasaurus rex spotted
>>
>>57057978
The most common reason is programmer error. In this case it seems like the code has gone into a failure state where the mesh for the character (which is essentially a large collection of points in space) is bugged in such a way that part of it is simply placed in the wrong place.
>>
>>57062923
>doesn't like a game with a black person in it
>"MUH RACISM"
>>
>>57062923
>>57063035
What game is it/
>>
>>57062923
>Doesn't like a game with gameplay mostly consisting of open world game filler, shitloads of bugs, super wonky physics and is generally in a state where you'd think it's 3+ months from release
>Has to be a racist
How about you piss off to wherever you came from?
>>
>>57058748
What a shame
>>
>>57063057
mafia 3 the best one in the series
>>
>>57063057
mafia 3
>>
>>57063068
responding to bait
>>
>>57063071
Oh Mafia 3, I thought it was having tonnes of issues on PC with frame rate atm and generally awful AI.
>>
>>57063097
/v/ will cry about anything
>>
>>57063111
I got that from the IGN review which is usually quite liberal.
>>
>>57063119
liberals they are indeed
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.