[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is linux really worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: kyouko snek.gif (443KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
kyouko snek.gif
443KB, 400x480px
Id like to have a nice portable on-the-go usb which can hold an OS, since linux is nice and small and got some pretty cool distros (pls show me some cool ones) id like to use it, pls just tell me its not worth if its just a meme I don't want to waste 50 dollars on a good usb with fast write/read speed
>>
>>57056198
>50 dollars
Just grab a cheap USB stick and create a live distro on it, jesus christ stop being autistic.
>>
>>57056214
But I want to pay my respects to the OS if it really is that good (is the 'install gentoo' meme just a meme or is gentoo really good btw?) and I want it to be fast, so the quality of the usb matters not just some cheap chinese $5 usb stick will do, needs to be at least usb3.0
>>
>>57056243
>is gentoo really good btw?
Yes. Install Gentoo.
>>
>>57056300
But why do I keep seeing these memes appear on /g/ where someone can only get 10 minute intervals of wifi working from linux without installing some random package in the terminal? I don't play games, but can I play games if I use linux?
>>
File: 1430944571000_1143150.jpg (16KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1430944571000_1143150.jpg
16KB, 500x500px
Retard
>pic related, 35$
>>
>>57056335
If you are scared of using a terminal, you should fuck off from /g/.
>>
>>57056198
6$
>>
>>57056243
Gentoo is certainly one of the best distros out there but beginners will struggle with the installation process so I would stay away from it.
>I want it to be fast
Most live distros are small enough not to be a problem with usb2. You can store large files on your hard drive even if you boot linux from usb. Why don't you first try it a cheap one before spending money?
>>
File: (96KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
96KB, 500x338px
I've tried over 40 distros and none of them were as good (overall) as Windows.

Many did better in areas than Windows but had big drawbacks that made the good almost worthless and the experience frustrating. My opinion is that when it comes to being "good enough" for 90% of the populations usage be it work or play then Windows and OSX are the kings.
>>
>>57056243
using it on a USB is never going to be as fast as having it on your SSD. stop being a faggot and just throw another 128GB one in your computer, linux can access all the media on your other hard drives anyways
>>
>>57056411
I dont live in the US, usb 3.0 very expensive here

>>57056425
Never said I was scared, I don't want to install a broken OS and barely maintain the wifi working

>>57056432
Very expensive where I live, not US...

>>57056446
Ive heard the gentoo optimizes for your personal needs, can you explain what this literally means? I dont get what is the trouble with installing it, whats actually "difficult"?

I have tested out ubuntu on another computer but I dont get it, its just like any other OS except you have to install packages all the time if something doesnt work...
>>
File: sad pepe.png (46KB, 654x527px) Image search: [Google]
sad pepe.png
46KB, 654x527px
>>57056464
but I dont have a desktop computer, I have to work with a toaster laptop feels bad man
>>
>>57056460
The thing is I actually think the botnet meme isnt a meme, I actually think its true to some degree, which is another reason I look for a linux distro, until linux sells out to the kikes and will have to find another OS
>>
File: Windows10EULA.png (106KB, 850x1659px) Image search: [Google]
Windows10EULA.png
106KB, 850x1659px
>>57056496
>the botnet meme isnt a meme
>>
>>57056469
>I don't get what is the trouble with installing it, what's actually "difficult"?
If you have two computers so you can follow a guide/look up shit when it doesn't work it'd probably be easier.
Only attempted to install Gentoo once 3 years ago, if I remember correctly the kernel got fucked during transfer and I just gave up and went back to Xubuntu.
>>
>>57058027
>GNU/Linux
>>
>>57058563
ty :^)
>>
>>57056198
>>57056243
Small USB 3 drives are like $15..
>>
Gentoo and Arch are memes
>>
>Install Antergos
>>
>>57056523
Microsoft is an official NSA Prism-Partner. I'm glad that doesn't bother you. It does bother people with better sense.
>>
Arch and Gentoo are fine educational distros. I've used Linux for a long time. I don't want to jump through all those unnecessary hoops forever. I'm not insecure about the size of my epeen or version numbers.

~ Debian guy
>>
>>57060507
I'm using Mint because I want something simple and stable but with more freedom than Windows if I want it.
>>
>>57056198
If it is Live, then a cheap one will be identical in experience since everything is loaded into RAM. However if you are trying to run a full blown version (equivalent to installing Windows on Bootable USB Stack instead of loading RAMDisk image) then you are better off with an external USB 3.0 HDD/SSD.
>>
>>57056300
I installed the recent sabayon kde on a 16gb usb.
>gentoo based
Everything werks.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.