[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why shouldn't I just create my own programming language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3226.jpg (55KB, 619x464px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3226.jpg
55KB, 619x464px
Why shouldn't I just create my own programming language?
>>
>>57045462
Because you can't and are dumb?
>>
>>57045462
You should, it's great practice. My personal project at the moment is doing exactly that, except I don't have any delusions about creating a great language: I'm just making a simplified C-like language and it's not going to be effective.

Anyway, as a bottom-up person, I've started with making a byte code format and then a virtual machine / interpreter that can run it. I'm currently able to place the interpreter and the bytecode into the same executable file and then point the interpreter at the code in memory. Doing this for all major architectures (Windows, Linux and Mac) has taught me a lot about Mach-O, ELF and PE.
>>
reinventing the wheel is a waste of time, but then again, so is 4chan. go for it.
>>
>>57045500
I'm not dumb and who says I cant? The only thing that's stopping me is that I know nothing about coding.
>>
>>57045535
I'm not reinventing the wheel at all, there are many languages for different purposes right?
>>
>>57045538
Well there you go, OP

You are welcome
>>
>>57045538
>I know nothing about coding.

Make your own language and compiler that does just one thing. When you compile this:
a

make it say this in the terminal/prompt
Hello World!

Obviously without using bash or batch or anything, but by actually compiling it.
>>
nice meme
>>
>>57045462

Because your language will not be good unless you are really good at programming and spend a lot of time on it and it probably doesn't have a legitimate reason to be made in the first place

To create a (good) language takes a lot of careful thought

If you don't care and want to make one anyways, go ahead, but don't expect it to ever get used
>>
>>57045462
Isn't that the guy from the most recent debate?
>>
>>57045538

GCC is 7.3 million lines of code.

7 . 3 m i l l i o n

m
i
l
i
o
n
>>
>>57045462
Because renewable energy is killing jobs
>>
>>57045462
You should. It may seem like a /g/ meme but a lisp interpreter is a great way to go because the syntax is a direct representation of what the machine evaluates. With other languages you'd need to learn about lexers and parsers and ASTs just to get off the ground.
>>
>>57045538
oh wait nevermind, don't start with your own programming language, that's insane
>>
>>57048257
GCC compiles to many architectures and has many optimization flags. If you use something like LLVM, creating your own compiler isn't too difficult. The front end of a compiler is doable by one person. The back end is where the insane complexity lies and these days LLVM is good enough that most people just write front end compilers on top of it.
>>
File: Screenshot_15.png (500KB, 550x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_15.png
500KB, 550x1016px
>wants to write his own programming language
>knows nothing about coding

learn to walk before trying to run, dumbass.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.