[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

4chan BBS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: whut.png (5KB, 651x242px) Image search: [Google]
whut.png
5KB, 651x242px
Does /g/ know of a BBS Software that

1. Isn't web based
2. Needs extream little ressources (like or almost like text based bbs)
3. Can run/compile on Linux
4. Can have a GUI and handle Media like Pictures and Clips
>>
>>57044951
I don't know but I like this question so I'll bump it for you friend.
>>
>>57044951
May I ask why you are discounting web based stuff? Any of the chan clones would meet your other requirements pretty easily.

If you could do without images, you could simply use an actual BBS, and run it over telnet.
>>
>>57044951
not web-based as in, not acessible from the internet? what use is that?
>>
>>57045797
I'm going to assume he doesn't want http, but is fine with telnet, or something more obscure (gopher?)
>>
File: tradewars1.gif (13KB, 724x500px) Image search: [Google]
tradewars1.gif
13KB, 724x500px
Do you mean a BBS, or a text-board?

BBS = Mystic
Text-board = Kareha

Also, why wouldn't you want it web-based? People telnet to BBSs now, not fucking dial them.
>>
>>57045816
Gopher is fucking God-tier.
>>
>>57045782
>>57045797
>>57045816

yes, http is unwanted. I'm okay with tcp/ip.

gopher is somewhat to wierd for my taste. it shouldn't be alternative to web, it's enough to have BBS and some media capabilities. the moment css and styles comes into the picture it's already unwanted.
>>
>>57045869
Well, if thats what you're looking for, there are multiple gopher servers available. They should meet all your requirements; though most can still be accessed over http.
>>
>>57045848
web = webbrowser

at some point developert thought is was a good idea pushing about everything into this and I'm sick of it.
>>
>>57045910
The only BBS software I can think of which might have come close to what you're asking is excalibur bbs; though it was only ever Windows Based.

Maybe look to see if there is a way to use RIPScript with telnet BBS's. Maybe that would work.
>>
How about gopher?

gopher://port70.net/1/chan
>>
File: bs.png (23KB, 1002x141px) Image search: [Google]
bs.png
23KB, 1002x141px
>>57046046
gopher is too much.
>>
>>57046108
Why is it too much; what exactly are you looking for? Dialup style BBS's?
>>
>>57046108
that description sounds more complicated than it is, its just like using a simple file browser
>>
>>57046227
it got to many features. it even includes web and webbrowser plugins. while a filesystem style doesn't sound to bad, I cannot help and see imagine kernel panics and shit if connection isn't stable.
>>
>>57046394
>it even includes web and webbrowser plugins
Gopher does not include those things, do you mean something like Overbite? That is a plugin for a web browser to view Gopher holes.

gopherfs is also completely separate from gopher itself, it allows you to mount a gopher hole as a filesystem but there's no need to actually do that to view a Gopher hole.

Gopher uses a very simple plaintext protocol, you can easily interact with it over Telnet if you had to (its possible to interact with HTTP over Telnet too but good luck with that...). Normally you would use a Gopher client, something like lynx (command line web browser that supports Gopher) or Overbite.
>>
>>57045962
There's nothing inherently wrong with doing things on a browser. You're not going to start a telnet revolution, so what are you trying to prove?

Besides a text board like 2ch or 4-ch uses so little resources that a potato can render them easily, and even a minimal browser like Dillo can navigate and post on them.
>>
>>57045869
>mfw it has been proven that in-line hyperlinks actually affect the reader's concentration

Looks like all those pure-text guys were on to something.
>>
>>57046517
I see.

I give gopher a try and see how it plays out.

>>57046531
>There's nothing inherently wrong with doing things on a browser
everything is wrong with that. it wasn't always the case but I only feel disgust for what it became. they've gone to far and your're full of shit. I hate you for liking something I don't like.
>>
>>57046787
I don't miss clicking on a video, downloading a video, then having to play it in a piece of shit like RealPlayer or Quicktime at all. I'm glad it's gone.
>>
>>57046828
Web technologies have encouraged the opposite though, actively trying to prevent you from downloading videos if you wanted to view it outside of their ad-ridden Flash player and page.

The convenience and idea are nice but they've come at a cost.
>>
>>57047048
That's why God invented youtube-dl.
>>
File: L29150-1041TMP.png (14KB, 642x387px) Image search: [Google]
L29150-1041TMP.png
14KB, 642x387px
>>57046775
What Gopher lacks in the glitz of even early HTML internet it makes up for in elegance and simplicity.
>>
>>57047612
Gopher is awesome. It reminds me of Geocities in that you stumble across someone's little world. I remember one where he was just talking about the various gardening files he has, when he suddenly goes AND IF YOU'RE THE FBI I KNOW YOU'RE TRYING TO MAKE ME FORGET ABOUT THE UFOS.

Then started listing folders for various seasons and garden types.
>>
>>57047612
What's a good gopher client for GNU?
>>
>>57048066
Overbite plugin for Firefox and the Lynx terminal web browser.
>>
>>57048157
Ah, lynx does work. Good enough.
>>
>>57048218
>Good enough.

Well, if it works, it works.

There's only so much with Gopher to not work.
>>
>>57044951
Gopher.su is a BBS build by /g/ for /g/

it has a gopher server, http server, bbs server, and some other shit idk
>>
>>57049300
Is the bbs active?
>>
>>57049911
It's online, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>57050005
I meant does anyone ever use it.
>>
File: A._E._van_Vogt,_ca._1963.jpg (10KB, 250x308px) Image search: [Google]
A._E._van_Vogt,_ca._1963.jpg
10KB, 250x308px
werc.cat-v.org and swerc mke yer own
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.