[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monitors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 7503012cv11d.jpg (232KB, 983x1000px) Image search: [Google]
7503012cv11d.jpg
232KB, 983x1000px
My main monitor gave up the ghost. I don't know how to buy a new one. Or rather, how to choose a monitor to buy. This is not for gaming, but for coding. Every screen seems to be identical to the next, the only difference being the bezel and logo that appears when you turn it on.

Do things like response time, contrast, etc even matter?

Looking for : IPS, 22 inch or larger, less then 150 CAD

Pic related, a refurb on newegg.
>>
If you aren't gaming then don't waste money buying a monitor with a 1ms refresh rate. Contrast and resolution etc depend on how good you want your pictures to look so if you plan on watching movies don't cheap out.

Because youre programming consider getting a monitor thats slightly taller than normal so you have more vertical space
>>
>>57044761
TFT central does great display reviews and guides. Check their buyer's FAQ and their selector tool, though don't let that be the final word because it's not perfect.
>>
Dell ultrasharp series
>>
>>57044911
>if you plan on watching movies don't cheap out.

Movies, no. But I do some web design so colour accuracy is a bonus

>Because youre programming consider getting a monitor thats slightly taller than normal so you have more vertical space
Don't all monitors have the same aspect ratio these days?
>>
>>57044761
ive had really good luck with my pair of lg ud68 27 inch 4k monitors. Idk if you need the resolution (i do a lot of work in premiere and occasionally at 4k) but man is it nice to have and you can pick up one for 350
>>
>>57045076
though i will note one caveat the base they come with kind sucks, but i use a dual monitor mount anyway so its irrelevant for me
>>
>>57045076
I don't need 4k. I don't know if my GPU can handle 4k. I'm leary of getting a huge screen because it'll just block my view, make it harder to see the entire screen at once.
>>
>>57045121
well what are you actual needs? I put together all the editing riggs for my boss and spent like a month diving into display tech recently so i have a reasonable familiarity with the market
>>
>>57045180
I'm a programmer. This monitor is for work. I spend (very roughly) 60% of my time in gnome-terminal on ssh, 35% of my time in a browser, debugging stuff in Firebug and 5% of my time in GIMP working on images.
>>
>>57045253
so refresh rate is meh, size is meh above 22 inches, extra features meh, i assume that you dont need it to have speakers built in (please)

I assume you want pretty good color accuracy for gimp

does resolution matter at all as long as its 1080 or up?
>>
>>57045303
>speakers built in (please)
lol no.

>I assume you want pretty good color accuracy for gimp
Yes.

>does resolution matter at all as long as its 1080 or up?
1080 and up
>>
>>57045063
>Don't all monitors have the same aspect ratio these days?
16:9 is standard. But 21:9 is getting more common, and 16:10 is disappearing, but can still be found.
16:10 is awesome.

The Dell U2412M is probably exactly what you want.
But it might be too expensive (almost 400CAD on newegg)

Less than 150 and IPS, you won't have much choice. I looked around a bit, and nothing stands out. The monitors I can see are below 24", 16:9, at most 1080p, looks plasticy, and have pretty much the exact same specs. Look if you can find some $200 on sale, or take one that looks good, and read some reviews on that.
>>
>>57045431
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-23-ips-led-hd-monitor-black-silver/8176078.p?skuId=8176078

Idont love AOC as a brand but theres nothing wrong with it. This is one of the few things that has solid color accuracy appropriate size and Ips in your price range. I personally probably would spend a little more but you should probably be fine
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_169323&feature=iv&src_vid=yWEpIwNDeCA&v=a2IF9ZPwgDM

Guys, I'm scared to get anything above 60hz. They say once you do you never go back!
>>
>>57046472
>They say once you do you never go back!
That's what they say. Partly why I go with 60hz for my next monitor.
>>
>>57046779
It actually is why I don't want to, all jokes aside it'd be an inconvenience if I look at so many monitors TV's that other people have a think "God, this is giving me a fucking migraine"
>>
>>57046850
you arent wrong since going 4k 60hrz most things look like shit to me. I started off a bit of a resolution image quality whore granted but man choppy refresh visible pixels and washed out blacks and yellowy whites that you get on cheap panels make me cringe
>>
>>57046904
I was looking at two 144hz since I can't afford an IPS one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2460PF-Response-Adustable-Speakers/dp/B01BV1XBEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476300553&sr=8-1&keywords=aoc+g2460pf

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewSonic-XG2401-Monitor-FreeSync-DisplayPort/dp/B01A0ZRR50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476300582&sr=8-1&keywords=xg2401

I play a lot of low end and multiplayer stuff, but then the I worry the TN panel may be dogshit for the high end single player stuff that I won't be getting 144 fps on.
>>
>>57046995
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewSonic-XG2401-Monitor-FreeSync-DisplayPort/dp/B01A0ZRR50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476300582&sr=8-1&keywords=xg2401
the free sync should help a whole lot if you can utilize it.
also tn isnt that bad in high end displays honestly. The biggest drawback is viewing angles so as long as you are head on and you arent in a position for glare to be hitting your screen it shouldnt be majorly different. I went with ips because i need the color accuracy and viewing angles
>>
File: longcat.jpg (218KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
longcat.jpg
218KB, 2048x1536px
>>57047184
Last TN panel I had was one of these 10 years ago.

Problem is I'm not sure rx 470 or go mental and 1070. one is £170, one is £340.

I'm not expecting to fully benefit from 144hz in all games but it'd be nice for FPS's and what not.
>>
>>57047302
i personally say go 1070 for vr and future proofing but idk that it will really matter for what youre doing. I have a 1080 and its very overkill for almost everything. Only the hardest titles give it any trouble at 4k and that at max settings
>>
File: multivac 2.png (64KB, 920x642px) Image search: [Google]
multivac 2.png
64KB, 920x642px
>>57047693
I suppose for reference of my budget there be the specs.
>>
>>57047747
if you got a 1070 id basically guarantee you would be able to play any game maxed out at 1440
im less familiar with the amd cards but i know it is slower the question is will it bottleneck you and idk
>>
>>57045451
>The Dell U2412M is probably exactly what you want.
Is there a real difference between that and the VS24AH-P?
>>
>>57048054
I don't think so. Look around.
But the ASUS seems to have a shitty stand.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.