[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the syntax of LaTeX so shitty?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 640px-LaTeX_logo.svg.png (12KB, 640x267px) Image search: [Google]
640px-LaTeX_logo.svg.png
12KB, 640x267px
Why is the syntax of LaTeX so shitty?
>>
use TROFF/GROFF

/thread
>>
>>57044421
it's meant to be used with macros or a default file
idiot
>>
>>57044444
checked
>>
>>57044442
Only used for documentation.
>Muh pdfs.
>>
>>57044575
what are you on about? nroff is used for UNIX documenation; troff is a typesetter. Use the mom macros if you use groff.

http://www.schaffter.ca/mom/mom-01.html
>>
Just use a fucking word processor. If you can use ms word properly, you'll get the job done much more quickly, hell even libreoffice writer is pretty good, I wrote my entire thesis with it.
>>
>>57044442
Is it easier to convert to docx? That's the only thing I don't like about my current setup with latex, it fucks up spacing and shit to go tex>html>docx
>>
>>57044640
>oh no, I clicked on some obscure button I forgot about, now I have to spend half an hour fixing it or copy-paste to a new document
Getting bullshit out of the way early is too useful.
>>
>>57044666
Hey satan, might be better to go from tex -> docx with pandoc. Never had to use docx, ever.
>>
>>57044718
Still doesn't do page breaks, line spacing or fonts right. Is setspace that weird of a package to use?
>>
>>57044640
>t. non-stem major
>>
>>57044640
>It only took one whole day to get my references formatted right!
>>
>>57044640
MS Word is an abomination.
A document that's worked on long enough and grows large enough turns into a minefield of inscrutable design and formatting instructions.
It starts to exhibits all sorts of quirks and bad habits, the kind of stuff you'd expect to see coming out of a complex and defective machine, not a straightforward document.
The fruit of everyone's labor becomes overgrown with cancerous invisible markup, and has to be painstakingly salvaged bit by bit to try and reverse the damage.
In the face of these horrors, computer-savvy kids tear their hair out and executives bow their heads in resignation. Even the most high-strung and bitchiest of people go silent when they realize that they've been had by MS once again.
>>
>>57044421
Try coming up with a better syntax that is just as powerful. Can't really think of anything besides someting xml-like which is a pretty terrible idea.
>>
>>57044421
The native syntax isn't that bad, but the syntax for third-party extensions/libraries sucks. Still miles ahead of shit like Rust/Haskell tho
>>
>>57044689
Ctrl-z iz your friend.
>>
>>57044718
The pdf to doc exporter from adobe works like a charm, for 2 bucks a month.

I tried every other method for converting and all other suck balls
>>
File: Smug Faces12.jpg (13KB, 282x272px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Faces12.jpg
13KB, 282x272px
>>57044421

I write LATEX in real time during lectures.
>>
>>57046893
not always. tables and margins, for example.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.