[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a programming language that could allow me to write

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: ios.android.2.610.400.jpg (25KB, 610x400px) Image search: [Google]
ios.android.2.610.400.jpg
25KB, 610x400px
Is there a programming language that could allow me to write an application and compile it directly to an Android or iOS executable easily ?

What about C++ ?
>>
>>57042202
You should use C# (visual studio), I don't know if this work but here is the beginning !
>>
React Native + JS or a compiles-to-JS language
>>
>>57042202
I assume you need to write one codebase and build for both platforms with minimal changes.

You can write fully custom drawing code as part of a portable C or C++ codebase. This is what is normally done for professional games, but it's unacceptable for non-game apps.

You can use Xamarin to write C# code and build for both platforms with a native look and feel. This supposedly works quite well, but it's also very expensive- not meant for individuals at all.

You can use React Native which allows you to build the app in Javascript. The downside there of course is that you would be writing an app in Javascript.

The last option is to just build it as a webapp and use something shitty like Phonegap to package it as an app.

I suggest abandoning this idea. Build an iOS app. If it's a success, and you think an Android port would be worth it despite the horrific piracy rate, hire a freelancer to port it for you. Don't put too much time and effort into Android, at least not up front. Android users don't buy apps.
>>
>>57042827
They fucking do buy apps m8. There might be a lot of piracy but there are a LOT of sales on the pooinloo phone OS.
>>
If you're smart enough to program an app in either one from scratch, then it will be only a matter of tediously translating it from one platform to the other, which shouldn't take more than a few days unless you're out to do something extremely complex.

Just suck it and learn either iOS or Android development first. The other one will come a lot easier.
>>
>>57042915
It's basically accepted now that you have to release an Ad-ridden, IAP-laden "Free" version to have any shot at the Android market.

Grab an Android phone, open the Play Store. I just did.
>New & Updated Games
>Recommended for You
>You Might Like
>Tools
>Productivity
>New & Updated Apps
Looking good, right? Lots of variety?

They're all fucking free. Scroll each of these lists, check them out. You'll have to a long long way before you see paid items. When you do, they'll be at rock-bottom prices. The most prominent paid app is fucking £0.10.

Now grab an iThing, look at the App Store. I just did. At least half of the featured apps are paid. The lowest price shown is £3.99; Jade Empire is £7.99 and that sounds like a bargain to me considering how good that game is. Hell, I might buy it right now.

The App Store is way worse than it used to be and it's still thousand fucking miles better than Android. It's a completely different culture. People with iDevices have money and are willing to spend it.

So tell me, do you really recommend maintaining two versions of your app, supporting the server load (assuming your app has a backend) for many times more indian pirates than paying customers, supporting obscene Android fragmentation (you can't even target 5.0 yet! You have to support 4.something), testing on a trillion different devices... all for a little more actual income when you could have spend all that time and resources building new iOS stuff.
>>
>>57043204
Holy shit!

Apple shills are bringing out the GUNS on this one
>>
>>57043245
>i don't have any convincing counterargument
>i know, i'll just call him a shill
>>
>>57042202
C++
>>
>>57043204
Well I noticed one outright piece of bullshit there, you can target whatever the fuck version you like. You can even target 7.0 and ignore anything older.
>>
>>57043204
Poorly hidden shill
>>
>>57043290
He's 100% right about everything else.
>>
>>57042202
react native is good from what I heard.
>>
>>57042827
This. iOS for getting paid. Android if you're just building a resume or have an exhausted market hit in iOS.

>>57042915
I've been an app development guy for 8 years. Android is a tough crowd. They have a massive userbase but almost none of it buys apps and ad revenue ain't what it used to be. If someone is trying to make a living they'd better get into iOS and learn how to market to that audience.

I don't have any big hits but I make a decent income between that and freelancing.
>>
>>57043275
You don't need a convincing counter argument to an opinion piece written by an anonymous shitposter on /g/
I was simply highlighting the fact that you make a well reasoned argument for what plastic piece of restricted access shit someone should develop for.
So either you have a clear opinion about which is superior and are sharing that opinion, which makes you a shill, out you're paid to write puff pieces (I went to college once too, work is hard to find) which makes you a shill, out you're shitpodting, which makes you a shill, just because you're a shill doesn't make you wrong, it makes you a fucking shill
>>
>>57043245
Don't be dumb. I hate iOS, but everyone knows those idiots pay for apps. They're clearly the target market for monetizing apps as a small time dev.
>>
>>57043290
Yep, you can. If you dislike money.
>>
>>57042915
I think for android ad sales exceed paid app sales. (this may actually be true on iOS as well).

Anecdotally I've been an android user since the G1 and I've bought maybe 6 apps, all less than $3
>>
>>57043409
Okay so honest question here.

Why?
I've tried for a long time to figure out what people see in app development and I just can't understand the appeal other than get rich quick and that won't happen for 99% of developers. I don't understand why people would WANT to develop for a mobile platform when other platforms with more flexibility/greater market share exist
>>
>>57043204
>Android
>They're all fucking free

>iThing
>The lowest price shown is £3.99

>The App Store is... still thousand fucking miles better than Android

uhhhhhh............
>>
>>57043493
I didn't contradict myself. On iOS, it's normal to pay a reasonable sum for an app. On Android, it's normal to pay nothing.

If you try to charge for an Android app, users will still pay nothing. They'll just get it from a shady APK site instead, and then you don't even get statistics from them. So instead, you release for "free" stuffed with so many ads you can hardly press anything and a hundred IAPs.
>>
>>57042202
As long as you're not developing a game, you might want to consider respecting the platforms, their guidelines and its users first, instead of taking a huge dump on everything to make it easier just for you and create native apps instead.
>>
>>57043569
Not him but iOS would be the same were it not for Apple's walled garden, which is the main reason I'd choose Android over iPhone. I don't like it when my device gets to dictate what I can and can't do with my device
>>
>>57042202
Xamarin makes it pretty easy.

It's open source, and free.

>>57042827
>This supposedly works quite well, but it's also very expensive- not meant for individuals at all.
Xamarin is free.
>>
>>57043634
>Xamarin is free
My understanding is that there's a free version for students and FOSS devs, and otherwise you need the pro version- the price of which is listed as "Contact us for quote". Maybe I'm mistaken and the free version is more capable than I think?
>>
>>57043816
All of the components are FOSS now. They did that when Microsoft bought Xamarin.

https://github.com/xamarin

They make their money from test-device farms. Large companies can pay for a service that deploys their app to hundreds of models of Android and iOS phones and gives them test-case feedback.
>>
>>57043569
If as a developer you suck so hard, that you can't prevent people from using pirated apks, you deserve it
>>
>>57043816
No, it's actually really completely free now.
>>
>>57043816
>free version for students and FOSS devs, and otherwise you need the pro version
Maybe you're confusing it with Qt? It can be used for mobile development and that's basically the license terms.
>>
>>57042349
Underrated
>>
>>57043478
It's an easily monetized platform. Market share is relatively meaningless if you can't monetize it unless you're an entrepreneur who is just pumping a startup to sell before having to worry about that.
>>
>>57044152
Thx for ur help !
>>
>>57042202
C# with xamarin can do that
>>
>>57043478
Because every joe is gonna want an app for his new internet store selling shitfuck, etc. Not to mention you can come up with something interesting or write some simple shit and still get money out of that, and do all of that alone or in a very small team. Writing for PC nowadays is mostly writing internal software for big companies who can afford that kind of thing, be it direct employment or outsource, with all it's upsides and downsides, for a lot of people latter weights way more.
Web is different story altogether. Lots of variety there, lots of jobs too, it just doesn't have that much to do with PC itself, in some cases even with "programming".
On mobile you have millions of people who have more money than brains and are willing to pay for simplest shit, why not exploit it? Not to mention that it's "trendy" to have an app for every fart, so there is a lot of job to be done and money to be made. Even paid apps aside, you can apply tons of ads and tracking on everything and still get some money, sums to quite a lot if your shit is gonna get popular. Main thing is culture though, it's just OK to have an app for every little thing, it's OK to pay for it or view ads, it's NOT OK to not have an app if you have some service which can be done in an app or paired with it. Money/work ratio is outstanding.
>>
>>57042827
>Android users don't buy apps.

You could try unintrusive ads.
>>
>>57045023
It works ? I try a few months ago but it doesn't work :(
>>
>>57045023
I third this
>>
File: anal beads.png (148KB, 1676x943px) Image search: [Google]
anal beads.png
148KB, 1676x943px
>>57045704
Works for me.

I made a sample application that authenticates against our AAD on login, and stores basic information.

Pic related.
>>
>>57045872
'Kay I will try that
Thx for the pic
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.