[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming languages for begginers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: prg.jpg (27KB, 489x352px) Image search: [Google]
prg.jpg
27KB, 489x352px
Hello guys, I am begginer in programming so I started learning Python, Would you reccommend it for a begginer? Can you recommend me other languages?
Thanks to everyone.
>>
Well, I'm only a few months into programming, but I hear Python is the most beginner-friendly language there is. One of the easiest and all.
>>
>>57036839
and one that teaches you an awful coding style

forth, c, lisp, etc are all better choices for intro languages
>>
The secret to programming, like any other hobby, it to just fucking do it and stop looking for the right way to do it. Pick a random fucking book from your library and start doing
>>
>begginer
Go fucking use google, you fucking pajeet
>>
>>57036518

just do C

python is the easiest but you don't learn much
>>
>>57036518
>Would you reccommend it for a begginer?
Absolutely. It is easily the best choice as a place to start.

>Can you recommend me other languages?
Not particularly. You can study a different language when you want to do a project where that particular language is a useful tool (or a requirement); or you can go learn some different languages when you want to move on and you feel you have an excellent grasp of python. Until either applies, keep doing what you are currently doing.

Keep it up!
>>
>>57036518
python ignores everything about programming that you need to feel intuitively and basically just skips straight to a simple logical flow
it's not the /worst/ choice though
>>
>>57037011
>skips straight to a simple logical flow
sounds perfect, whats not to like?
>>
>>57037046

Imagine learning C after you have done python.

now imagine learning python after learning C. You would be like "whats a data type? what the hell is memory?"
>>
>>57037146
In other words, python allows you to learn concepts on a step-by-step basis, whereas C requires you to know the whole shebang before even starting. That is very much a point in favour of python.
>>
haskell is the most user-friendly language out there. perfect for beginners
>>
>>57036518
So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
http://www.learn-c.org/

For C++:
http://www.learncpp.com/
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c++-tutorial.html
http://en.cppreference.com/
https://isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
http://www.learnpython.org/
http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.
>>
Hello, new to basically everything. I started working with HTML&CSS (don't go the whole route of "that's not a programming language), then worked my way through Javascript. I learned a small amount of ruby, and took a two classes on Swift and then a class of Java.

So far, javascript is my favourite, though I want to be a web dev so i'm not impartial.

Start with something close to home. F**k around with webpages, and learn to build your own. Start adding user interaction any way you can, but understand that you will need some more substantial learning if you want to get into software/game/etc. development.

> If I said anything wrong, please correct me. The more I am corrected, the more I learn!
>>
Haskell is very easy. I would really recommend it to a beginner. You will not have any problems at all.
>>
Yeah just stick with Python I started with C++ but Python is way easier so you can get a feel for programming faster
>>
>>57037363

learning a functional language first wouldn't be that bad
>>
>>57036863
This is not correct though. Not only will you be wasting literally months because you didn't learn to do something the right way, and you'll learn bad habits if you start doing stuff the wrong way.
People who say stuff like "How to learn this competitive game? Just play 2 thousand matches" are the type of people who just brute force their way instead of thinking their learning process through
>>
Start with binary
>>
File: huehuehue.png (620KB, 695x702px) Image search: [Google]
huehuehue.png
620KB, 695x702px
haskell
>>
>>57036518
kinda unrelated, but what would be a decent compiler, im gonna learn C
>>
>>57039071
gcc or llvm/clang
>>
>>57039092
thank you, i forgot there are boards here that are still decent
>>
>>57038636
What is wrong with starting with haskell? genuinely curious here.
>>
>nobody suggesting Scheme
honestly, easiest way to start out and gives you the most tools for expanding your knowledge.
>syntax barely requires any more learning after writing your first line of code
>can be imperative or functional or any other paradigm you want
>used in all the best programming books (htdp, sicp, etc.)
>available with Dr. Racket, which literally provides everything you need to get started out of the box
>>
>>57039177
It's really weird, even compared to other functional languages
>>
>>57039726
not really. it's not really "weird", although it can be a big step to start using coming from other functional languages. it's still the same ideas, just more heavily so
>>
>>57039177
Nothing much. If you have math background go with it. Just the abstraction that haskell provides is non-intuitive and weird to beginners (to paraphrase an old SO post: most first-time programmers imagine a car going down a street as a single car that changes it's state, not as a series of infinite, slightly different cars).
>>
I learned Python first, and I think it's the best choice
>high level (no memory allocation, or any of that autistic shit)
>interpreted (no compilers)
>open source
>very lively and helpful community
>easily extended to C or Java
>good for scientific programming with NumPy and Matplotlib (NASA uses it)

you obviously can't do EVERYTHING with Python alone
but I have used it as the foundation when doing big projects
especially when I have to do shit in C for computing time and efficiency
>>
>>57036857
>forth
>lisp
Don't lie, you didn't start from those.
>>
>>57040684
>high level (no memory allocation, or any of that autistic shit)
>implying memory allocation is the thing of the low-level languages
C is a high-level language, you pajeet.
Some BASIC dialects had memory allocation tools, does that make BASIC a low-level language?
>>
The language doesn't matter.
It is very easy to learn the language specific things once you know how to structure your problems and your solutions.

>>57037416
If we stick with programming, making 2000 applications DOES make people learn a lot of things about programming.
Sure some of these will be printing hello world or doing fizzbuzz, but it is very likely that they have solved some problems that they can use to advance their understanding.
Learning about best practices means jack shit if you don't have a project where you can apply them.
I have spent a lot of time with C++, but once in a while, I am presented with a C library I have to include, and then I will have to investigate how to solve that problem without bringing all the bad practices of C into my application.
>>
>>57040750
Python has manual memory management too, but you don't have to do it.
>>
If I start with C will other languages be easier to learn?

I actually already started like 3 months ago.
>>
>>57040836
If you start with C, you'll learn outdated solutions to problems.
I'd suggest C++ as your first language, as 90% of languages are extremely similar.

And before you ask, no, C is not as good as C++, because it doesn't teach you shit about object orientated programming
>>
>>57040836
A 100 different languages is 100 different ways to do the same thing.
What languages can and can't do are very specific problems.
There's a library to do basically anything with any language.

Like.. you may choose to use ruby because of a library or framework or because it's what some project you're copying is in or whatever, or you want to use ObjC so you can make an iphone app, but you could do the same fucking thing in js or python.

obviously if you want to do web development C is not the best first choice.. not a bad choice but basically wasting time. but everything you learn will directly transfer to anything else.
>>
>>57040684
Python is fine for a first language, if you don't know what you don't know.

Once you get to a point where you know what you don't know, you can branch out.
>>
>>57040903
what the fuck does this even mean?
you can do literally anything with python
obv it's suited for scripting and learning things, but that has nothing to do with it's power.
>>
>>57040859
So do I just drop the C book I'm currently learning from and just pick up a C++ one up or something
>>
File: 1396490086169.png (378KB, 454x603px) Image search: [Google]
1396490086169.png
378KB, 454x603px
>>57036518
Your mileage may vary, but I believe that Python is one of the best languages for beginners out there.
>friendly and intuitive syntax with just the right amount of syntactic sugar
>powerful enought to implement almost anything (as long as number crunching or programming on the bare metal aren't issues--however, C code can be embedded where optimisation is required)
>libraries for almost any task exist and work fine
>almost all important programming paradigms (procedural, functional, oo) are present and may or may not be used
>large, friendly, and helpful community
>all the documentation you will ever need can be found online for free--also, there are some very decent books out there...

This being said, no, I am not a Python fanboy, but back in the 90s I learned programming (again) and started with Python, never regretted it.

Just pull through with Python, then look around for another language to learn.

Good luck, anon.
>>
>>57036518
C#, It's stupidly easy to learn.
>>
>>57041042
addition:
>there are oodles of programming projects and initiatives that use Python (SageMath is based on Python, for instance), so after learning the basics you can easily join one of these groups to work on more interesting things.
>>
C# is super easy. Definitely a good beginner language. But honestly, C isn't that hard either. I'm 32 now and in 9th grade we had a programming class. We learned qbasic first then jumped right into C. Try the "the hard way series" it's not perfect but it's a great introduction if you're brand new.
>>
My experience with Python is pretty much the same as many are saying here: it's a great language for beginners and it's powerful enough to be good for professional use too.
>>
>>57040836
With C you set your expectations from languages pretty low, so different fearures to ease programming you'll meet very nicely.
It's like starting making salads by cutting vegetables with a knife and later switching to blenders.

>>57040859
>C++
What are you doing, nigga?
If OOP is needed, he'd better learn languages designed to be OOP from the beginning but not the superset to the C.
>>
>>57041172
This, if you are starting from literally zero, start with Python.
>>
Java or C# is my recommendation for beginners.
>>
>>57037146
I learned c after python as my first language just fine. Java was my 2nd tho as an intermediary though
>>
Asking /g/ for programming advice

my sides

If you are looking for graphic card advice? sure
watch advice? sure
wallpaper advice? sure
smartphone advice? sure

but asking for programming advice is bad, you will get advice from professional 25yo neets C fizzbuzzers that shitpost unfunny jokes in every programming thread.

>muhhh lisp
>muhhh C superior
>muhhh fortran
>muhhh ada

you should check
/r/programming
/r/learnprogramming faq
>>
C or Lisp (or Scheme) are imho the best for learning. Python is ok i guess, it will at least force you to indent like a human being, i've seen some hellish formatting from beginners (read the Linux Kernel Style guide and follow it). Python is too high level though imho and it has way too much stuff which can be confusing and it abstracts away too much from you. C is really simple but makes you do all the work so you will learn how to write linked lists and these really basic structures and you'll learn how they really work under the hood in other languages as well, it's also pretty close to memory and gives you all the responsibility for the memory so you get a bit of a sense of how memory is allocated and handled which happens in other languages as well but it's often hidden from you. And since it's so simple it imho makes it much easier to understand effective algorhithms and things like asymptotic complexity. At least that's what I got from learning C back in high school as my first language and it helped me a lot.

Mainly, while OOP is popular and widely used and you'll probably need it, OOP is not something you should get into as your first experience in programming. It will just degenerate your brain, i've seen this lots of times. If you ever want to get hired to work as a programmer you will have to learn more than one language anyways so don't stress if your first language isn't the one all the big corporations use.
>>
>>57037146
no ones learns C it's 2016 bruh
>>
>>57037146
the funniest part about this is:
you can find python programming job and makes money without a slight tought about asm, op codes or memory management and make money

while
you will not find a job after learning C, because its a nieche for very advenced programmers or for embedeed stuff and every C job offer require 5+ job experience
>>
scratch
>>
do this:
https://github.com/open-source-society/computer-science
>>
>>57041688
so true, agreed
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.