[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Small Questions Thread /sqt/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 49

File: 1475006168288.jpg (100KB, 529x727px) Image search: [Google]
1475006168288.jpg
100KB, 529x727px
How can I remap keys on a per keyboard basis in Windows?
>>
Say I have Windows 7 and a Linux distro installed on different partitions of the same drive, and use GRUB to pick between them. I want to install a new, different Linux distro and get rid of the previous one, is it as simple as creating a new partition for the new distro, deleteing the old Linux partition, then add the new distro to the GRUB menu? Or is something going to break?
>>
how can I set up a whitelist to allow Flash to load on certain sites?
>>
>>57033882
Just install new over old linux, use same partititions. The installer should adjust grub itself.
>>
why did windows 10 just lose the date from the time and date box in the lower right corner? it literally happened in the last 45 minutes I haven't rebooted or updated or touched anything what the fuck
>inb4 win10
good point
>>
>>57034560
rofl they literally removed the ability to show day of the week in the date. have to remove it or the whole date disappears why the fuck am I using this fucking shit os
>>
>>57033786
try sharpkeys
>>
>>57034095
wot browser are you using?
>>
how to install kali on a usb?
>>
Why does my laptop fans freak the fuck out even when my CPU load is only at 10%? Is there any way to prevent this? And no, I've cleaned the fans recently.
>>
File: 147396142727.jpg (68KB, 538x491px) Image search: [Google]
147396142727.jpg
68KB, 538x491px
More of a /v/ question but anyway, have any of you with an intel hd 3000 or similar low end card been able to run euro truck simulator 2 acceptably? Requirements page lists the hd 4000 as minimum but who knows.
720p with low details is fine by me, as long as it has okish fps.
>>
Is there a "code corrector", where you post your code, and it switches between the different formats"
Say google vs standard?
>>
>>57034761
Download iso, dd on flash drive (dd if=/dev/kali.iso of=/dev/sdb ir something)
>>
I want to try Chrome OS on a virtualmachine, the google domain download site is redirecting me to http://getchrome.eu/download.php those sites are making me wary, ul.to and depositfiles why the fuck would they use that? Are they safe?

>>57034787
I've seen buggy bios do this to memepads, memepads have a program called tpfancontrol that overrides the bios control over the fans. I'd google your bios version for possible known bugs and fixes. Or look for a compatible program for your computer.
>>
File: ba73e35a14[2].png (6KB, 736x102px) Image search: [Google]
ba73e35a14[2].png
6KB, 736x102px
i was looking around in the files of an old game, and i found these in the music folders. i know what the .dls is, but what are the other two?
>>
I'm doing a visual basic assignment for school, and the teacher wants us to have buttons to change the text color and font of one of the windows, but she's never mentioned anything about how to do that.
Any ideas? Remember it's in VB not C
>>
>>57034709
firefox
>>
File: Speccy64_2016-10-11_19-57-17.png (20KB, 459x417px) Image search: [Google]
Speccy64_2016-10-11_19-57-17.png
20KB, 459x417px
Should my pc be as loud as it is?

a constant

whrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr~
>>
Why do I get a boner when I'm sleepy?
>>
>>57035391
Noisy bits are fans which that image tells us nothing about and HDDs, that one shouldn't be terrible. GPU fans shouldn't be too bad.
>>
>>57035491
something about morning wood, when it happens it means you really need to sleep
>>
My HD7850 2GB just died, should I get an RX 460 2GB as a quick and cheap replacement? I cannot afford anything above the 460's price.
>>
>>57034918
Occasionally run it on my laptop, HD3000, runs reasonably smooth on 1366x768, all low settings except bumping resolution up to 100% and turning on MLAA.
>>
>>57035647
do you have promods installed? game is literally not worth playing for one second without it once you've tried it. unbelievable how much more polished and consistent a mod can be compared to vanilla.
>>
>>57035664
Not on my laptop, I suspect that'd kill performance.
>>
>>57035689
yeah that's why I brought it up
>>
>>57035391

my computer makes an wind sound too, like bllllllllshhhhhhhhhhh~ and it wont stop
>>
>>57035498
If temps arent causing the noise from higher fan speeds what could?

they're all on default settings etc
>>
How to hack wifi on Android?
>>
>>57035720
What fans are you using and how fast are they spinning?

The stock cooler that comes with the CPU is pretty bad for noise.

If your current temps are fine, turning down fan speeds to cut noise is sensible.
>>
>>57035615
Yep. Or look on craigslist/whatever your local equivalent is for something better.
>>
>>57035784
Thanks senpai
My cpu is 6 years old so my options are very very limited. Phenom ii x4 965
>>
>>57033786
I use HID Macros for that. It's pretty simple to setup, though it has a couple limitations. You can't remap something to just SHIFT, for example.

http://www.hidmacros.eu/
>>
>>57035834
750ti are normally around $150 around most sites.
I have a x6 1090T and it runs perfectly fine with it
>>
>>57034675
This won't work. It remaps the key for all keyboards.
>>
>>57035906
See
>>57035854
>>
1060 or rx480?
>>
I'm trying to read Windows terminal input in C using the win32 API in a non-blocking way. I use GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE) to get the file handle for stdin, and pass it to WaitForMultipleObjects along with other handles I'm interested in reading from, kinda like how I would use select(). Then when it says the console handle has input, I do this:
if(ReadConsole(hCons, buf, sizeof(buf), &dwRead, NULL)) {
printf("read %d bytes: '%s':", dwRead, buf);
for(i=0; i<dwRead; i++)
printf(" %02x", buf[i]);
printf("\n");
}

Sometimes it works:
>Hello
>read 7 bytes: 'Hello
>': 48 65 6c 6c 6f 0d 0a

Other times it doesn't:
>asdf
>read 6 bytes: 'n': 6e 00 6f 00 62 00

WTF am I doing wrong here? Best I can tell, it works when a modifier key was pressed before typing the first letter. Otherwise it returns N bytes from the name of the exe in unicode.
>>
File: SHITTO.png (2MB, 2572x724px) Image search: [Google]
SHITTO.png
2MB, 2572x724px
anyone know what's wrong with my VLC?
Left is VLC output
Right is VLCsnap
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (35KB, 802x725px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
35KB, 802x725px
>>57036029
Try a different output method.
>>
>>57035994
only "look at me I'm special" nerds use amd in 2016. it's just asking for trouble every time a new game gets released.
>>
>>57036053
direct3d worked. i feel dumb for not trying that in the first place. thanks, friend.
>>
>>57036072
well it takes me 3-4 days to download a new game (amerifat) which is about how long driver updates take, so maybe I'll spend the $30 saved on a few burgers from five guys. thanks
>>
Non-static function members of a class gain access to the calling object’s members by?
>>
>>57036141
Vague.
No context.
Doesn't say what language.
Phrasing makes it sound like you're pasting a homework question in almost verbatim without even understanding what's being asked.
>>
I've never looked into getting a vpn service but I"m interested now for torrent privacy. The problem is that I don't even know where to begin. Googling seems to return results that look like blogs that are thinly veiled ads for certain vpn services.

Ideally I'd like one that's under 8 bucks a month but would consider more if it matters.

Can somebody point me in the right direction for what to look for in a vpn?
>>
Looking to download Linux on my macbook but unsure which version to download. GNU, ubuntu or something else. Is dual booting best option?
>>
>>57036225
Private Internet Access
>>
say one of the buttons on your personal music player stops working.
The firmware is static as it is not a networked device. Is there any chance at all that it's a corruption of firmware that would cause the button to stop working and not damaged hardware?
>>
I have no life outside of fucking with my GNU/Linux installation. Instead of rectifying this issue by going outside, forming bonds with people, and in general being a good person, i wish to fill the void with digital entertainment.

Is this computer build good for such purposes? how long can i expect it to last?
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/DqkH3F

Best regards, Lakshit Poosam
>>
How much maths is needed in order to program? What's the minimum?
>>
I just bought an SSD to put in my gf's Macbook Pro (2011)

i have backed up all of her files to her external HDD, can i just switch the drives in the macbook and restore her computer with the external HDD?

i fucking hate macs, they dont make any sense to me
>>
>>57036233
I recommend starting with a VM (using VirtualBox, VMware, or Parallels) since then you can tab out of it and look online if you have problems that keep it from booting properly. It also makes it really quick and easy to delete if you decide you don't like it or want to try a different one.

Some flavor of Ubuntu or Mint is a good bet for a Linux newbie. If you don't like the default desktop environment, you can apt-get install kde-desktop or whatever other one.
>>
>>57036474
Addition, Subtraction, Division, and Multiplication.

If you want to do compsci then prepare to do some hardcore mathematics :^)
>>
>>57035196
did you post this in a different thread recently? i feel like i have seen this question..
>>
>>57036294
Thanks, seems to be exactly what I"m looking for.
>>
>>57036468
If you're not gaming or doing machine learning research on it, save yourself some money and get a mobo with onboard video and drop the GPU.
>>
File: werks.jpg (878KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
werks.jpg
878KB, 1920x1080px
>>57036497
Once i get use to the coding aspect from uni and using linux software, you're saying to install something like GNU?
>>
>>57036533
I plan on using it for gaming. How's it look to you with that in mind?
>>
>>57036524
just in these stupid question threads
if you've seen it anywhere else then it's not me
>>
>>57036416
Very little. Corrupted firmware would much more likely cause it to crash or not start at all. Farm more likely the button itself is broken, corroded, or filled with pocket lint. You can try opening it up, turning it on, and shorting the two pins coming out of the button together with the tip of a screwdriver to see if that registers as a button press. If it does, the button itself is bad. You can see if pressing it really hard and wiggling it around fixes it, or desolder the old one and solder in a new tiny momentary switch that fits.

>>57036474
Depends what you want to program. For general purpose stuff, basic arithmetic and some algebra. For games, trig can come in handy because of angles and physics. For theoretical and research stuff you need calculus, stats, discrete math, etc.

>>57036482
Same as with a PC. Either clone the disk (with a GPT capable tool), or swap drives and then do a fresh install of OS X. The install is simple enough, though you will want to use the Mac in creating the installer USB since iirc it involves writing a non-dd-able .dmg file to the USB.
>>
Can I shorten the auto-submit time if I have a pass? It's stuck at the old 1 minute.
I don't want to shitpost at the speed of light or anything like that, don't get me wrong. I just think it could be helpful for story time threads.
>>
>>57036555
i always burst out laughing at the
"macfag"
>>
>>57036634
>clone the disk

i have a 2.5" hd enclosure, will that work?

sorry if im being stupid, i have never worked with ssd or mac before.

also, can i dl a macOS from apple? or do i need to make a boot from the laptop? i dont care about data. she has everything backed up to a 4tb HDD
>>
Do you mean remapping keys for just one keyboard out of multiple keyboards? I've done this before. While it's messy, it works. Here's a YT link: https://youtu.be/Arn8ExQ2Gjg?t=6m2s
>>
>>57036555
GNU isn't a distro, it's the base userland used by all Linux distros. Ubuntu is perfectly fine for coding, though once you're comfortable with Linux you might want to move to something like Slackware, Arch or Gentoo that gets in the way of tweaking less and does less noob-friendly hand-holding.

>>57036559
For gaming it looks okay. I'd be tempted to go up to a 960 or even a 1060 ($60 more for almost 2x the performance) myself, on the thought that it's not THAT much more expensive and should make it last longer before it needs upgrading. The amount of RAM is good, though I'd consider getting it in 2 sticks of 4 so you can install them in a dual-channel configuration. I'm not that familiar with AMD CPUs, but logicalincrements.com seems to think the FX6300 pairs well with a 950 or 960 but would probably bottleneck a 1060 on most games.
>>
>>57036733
You can download Sierra from the Mac App Store. Then, if you want it on a bootable USB, just use createinstallmedia.

Here's a tutorial from Apple. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
>>
>>57036634
>nd shorting the two pins coming out of the button together with the tip of a screwdriver to

Thank you for all the suggestions. It's a rockboxed clip+ that has had a rough life. I assumed what you told me as well but just wanted to double check. Will take it apart and see what can help as you suggested.
>>
>>57034918
omq that shoop !!
>>
>>57035647
Thanks anon.
>>
>>57036559
looks good for gaming. if you dont want to play AAA titles, but just want to game for something to do, you could maybe find an 850 or something and put another 40$ into you cpu and get a jump up. i really dont know much on pricing lately, been awhile since i did a build.
>>
>>57036733
>i have a 2.5" hd enclosure, will that work?
Yes, and you don't even need to use it if you don't care about the data and are going to do a fresh install. If you mean to use it instead of the USB stick to make an installer on, it should work.
>>
I just picked up a partial spool of CAT6. What are the best connectors and crimpers you've found?
>>
>>57036790
>It's a rockboxed clip+
Use your fingernail or a thin spudger to pry it apart. Remove the SD card first. Be particularly careful with the thin bit of plastic above the SD slot and volume buttons. It's super easy to break those. If you do break them, you can put them back together with krazy glue, just make sure the glue is fully dry before snapping the player back together if you ever want to open it again.

Do NOT use a screwdriver to pry it open. It will mangle the plastic around the seam, and it risks stabbing the soft-shelled LiPo battery inside and converting it into a flamethrower.

Also if you're on the stable build of Rockbox, I recommend upgrading to the latest snapshot for better battery life, more stable USB, slightly improved audio quality, and other bugfixes.
>>
I have a wacom intuos3 9x12, and it's acting strangely. I plug it into my win7 desktop (which before was using an intuos3 6x8 without issue) and it comes up as 'usb device not recognized'. I install the software fresh on a win8 laptop, plug the tablet in, and it works fine. Then I picked it up and balanced it on one edge, and it suddenly disconnected and the laptop started giving the same 'device not recognized' that the desktop was giving.

So it works on fresh installs until you fuck with it (maybe jitter the cord, maybe something else), and then it won't be detected correctly. But otherwise, it does work.

How can I prevent this unreliable behavior? I see nothing like it happening with the 8x6 tablet, and they appear to be identical aside from the size of the drawing space.
>>
Is it possible to introduce a logical paradox to a computer so complex that it shuts itself down?
>>
File: IMG_2336.gif (374KB, 821x796px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2336.gif
374KB, 821x796px
>>57036782
alright anon, thats the way im going to do it. thank you for your help!!

>>57036810
thank you as well anon. i really appreciate the help
>>
>>57036938
Computers don't understand thoughts. Hollywood AIs aren't real.

Introduce an x86 CPU to a triple fault though and it will reset.
>>
>>57036967
I never implied it had to be speech. Just a paradox in general.
>>
>>57036979
divide by zero
>>
>>57036924
try a different cord? thats the cheap option
>>
File: java-oracle.png (89KB, 651x330px) Image search: [Google]
java-oracle.png
89KB, 651x330px
what types of java programs should I write. I have to do this for a person I know and prove to him that I know this language.
>>
>>57036979
It can be typed, programmed, anything. Best you get is your program either catches the error and recovers, or doesn't catch the error (because the programmer didn't think to check for it) and the OS kills the program. Or if the OS is shit (like Win9x) the program could crash the system, not because it was a paradox but because it corrupted the OS kernel or asked the hardware to do something.

>>57036986
The CPU raises an exception. If the program doesn't catch it and recover gracefully, the OS will catch it and kill the program.
>>
I have fedora in a vm
When I try to finish the install it wont let me complete it.
What do I do?
>>
>>57037143
>it wont let me complete it.
Screenshot? What does it say?
>>
>>57037143
>>57037236
nevermind I was retarded and didn't set up a user account
>>
>>57037236
Ok so I've succesfull installed it, but now it won't boot up the actual install. It just boots up like I'm going to reinstall it.
>>
>>57037282
Sounds like it's booting from the CD again. Detach the CD drive. It's like ejecting the disc on a real PC.
>>
>>57037001
It's an internal, so remove the internal cord and put on a new one? Might be doable.
>>
File: dsafadfa.png (53KB, 770x581px) Image search: [Google]
dsafadfa.png
53KB, 770x581px
>>57037309
how? This is my first time messing around with a VM and I'm trying to find some distro I like before I quit windows.
>>
>>57037338
Go into the VM's settings and make the CD drive not connected on boot. I'd provide click by click instructions but I'm familiar with VMware, not VirtualBox.
>>
File: 1474713452554.jpg (35KB, 550x366px) Image search: [Google]
1474713452554.jpg
35KB, 550x366px
>>57035943
Wowzers. Thanks, senpai.
>>
>>57037392
Ah. That's easy enough for me to figure out to not need any help. I'll do it tomorrow after work.
>>
>>57036921
Thank you for all these tips. All this unique info would not be easy to track down. I will upgrade to the latest build as well as I've been sitting on an older firmware for a while out of laziness. Will follow your advice when disassembling.
>>
>>57037438
I didn't get the stuff about disassembling it from anywhere. It's from taking my own Clip+ apart when the clip broke off it. I dremeled the sharp nubs off the back shell and drilled two small holes to run a thin lanyard though.
>>
File: 1353699851173.png (440KB, 650x436px) Image search: [Google]
1353699851173.png
440KB, 650x436px
What's a decent equivalent to gigolo for ubuntu, on w7? Also what sort of protocol do I need to take on a w7 machine to enable LAN ssh? Similar to installing opensshclient and opensshserver on ubuntu.
>>
File: chokher.jpg (29KB, 500x504px) Image search: [Google]
chokher.jpg
29KB, 500x504px
Help me /g/entooman.
I now have three wireless mouses that barely work. An Insignia that works for 5 minutes then gets choppy, a $40 Microsoft that does the same but not quite as bad, and now I just got a Tecknet that has 2000 five star reviews on Amazon but only works when within inches of the USB receiver. So there must be a lot of interference: my desk, my monitor, wireless network (which is 30 feet away).

I can't really do anything about the interference. Is there a wireless mouse that will work? 5.4 ghz? Or am I doomed?
>>
>>57037657
if it's for a desktop pc, have you considered a corded mouse? it's not the antiquated old tech it's made out to be.
>>
>>57037684
Yeah almost at that point. Haven't used one for ages, feel like the cord would always be in the way.

Considering pic related too (but longer) and putting the USB receiver somewhere on my desk.
>>
File: 1473034474466.jpg (50KB, 500x596px) Image search: [Google]
1473034474466.jpg
50KB, 500x596px
My Logitech G602 completely stopped working yesterday. I tried replacing the batteries and everything. I tried plugging the wireless receiver in the back of my computer and it works, but it skips and its not smooth. Any suggestions, /sqt/?
>>
>>57037712
>I tried replacing the batteries and everything

EVERYTHING???
>>
>>57037527
Please /g/ save me from myself.
>>
>>57037755
i-i mean its a figure of speech anon s-sorry
>>
>>57037712
If the usb port itself works then the receiver might be dying. You could try to clean the contacts on that dongle to see if it helps.
>>
>>57037657
>>57037709
what the fuck
cordless mice are only for teenage girls
except teenage girls only use their phones now so I guess they're for middle aged business women or something
there has never been a good cordless mouse in the history of technology
>>
>>57038138
The new Logitech cordless mice are pretty good from what I've heard. Their click delays are pretty much instant.
>>
>>57038138
i have a wireless mouse because i only have a laptop and i don't want the usb part to get bent and stop working unless it's in a specific position
>>
File: 1444259387893.jpg (84KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1444259387893.jpg
84KB, 576x432px
I've never really torrented before, but assuming I did is the worst case scenario recieving a cease and desist letter in the mail telling you to stop? (I'm not talking about torrenting large software titles or music, or movies, I'm referring to anime.) Obviously I'm looking into a VPN, just curious if that sort of letter is all I'd recieve
>>
>>57038220
I've torrented around 30TB of data in my life and never even though about that as a real possibility.
But if you're talking about the semi recent letters people got in the mail they're just baiting. If you reply they know you're hooked. If you don't reply they'll move on. So many people torrent it's easier to find a willing victim than it is to gather actual proof and go to court.
>>
>>57038220
They'll send a blackmail letter which tells you to pay a few hundred dollars. If you refuse then they'll sue you and you'll have to pay more in court.
>>
Whats the replacement for lavabit?

I just dont want a botnet email
>>
>>57038249
Except both US and EU courts have ruled and IP is not a person so it's incredibly difficult to actually prove in court. They can get a list of IPs from open trackers like pirate bay just by downloading the torrent file and then go to a judge with the list of IPs to find out who to send extortion letters to but to actually gather enough evidence for it to stand in trial is just not worth the effort and investment.
>>
File: 1455040489145.jpg (1MB, 1704x2272px) Image search: [Google]
1455040489145.jpg
1MB, 1704x2272px
>>57038245
Do you use a VPN? Sorry if it was unclear, in my initial post I was mainly asking if I didn't use a VPN and torrented some chinese cartoons would I recieve one of those letters, or odds are would nothing even happen?
>>
what's an android phone that I can get for cheap (~100, a used old flagship model is what I'm thinking of) with a decent battery and unlocked/unlockable bootloader? I want to make it as AOSP as possible.
>>
>>57038560
kyocera brand phones imo they arent bad and water r
>>
>>57035866
I got the RX 460 just now, it's working good I guess. Thanks for helping me decide, /sqt/.
>>
>>57038633
resistant
>>
File: audiotrouble.png (50KB, 413x460px) Image search: [Google]
audiotrouble.png
50KB, 413x460px
What the hell is going on with my audio? Why isn't it working anymore. Since this weekend it's stopped working. I can't remember if I updated the wrong drivers or what. Please help me solve this. It can't detect any devices. I reinstalled windows 7, I installed the latest stable AMD drivers, I tried installing motherboard audio drivers but it says "dude there's no fucking devices plugged in I can't update shit when I can't detect shit"
>>
File: IMG_0170.png (68KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0170.png
68KB, 500x488px
Sorry for customer support-ish question, but I googled my fingers off.
When I connect the PC to the router through Ethernet cable, it doesn't work. I can connect to Wifi successfully, and the cable works when I try to use it with other laptop, so it's likely not the router/cable problem. The internet icon has a yellow exclamation mark near it. I also doubt that it is network adapter problem, since the lights on the cable are flashing when connected, and I connected to router successfully before through different cable and router.
>>
>>57037478
that's a good idea if my clip breaks off
Wish I stocked up before they discontinued it
>>
File: 1476063510733s.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1476063510733s.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
/g/ How should I go about creating an offline mobile quiz app?
Which software/programming languages would you recommend?
>>
>>57038866

html/css/javascript using one of the various... not sure exactly what to call them but they turn web shit into a native application like electron or nw.js
>>
>>57034095
I'm really late on answering this but I have an answer

In firefox addons menu press plugins
For the flash plugin set it to always ask
When a site asks to use flash you should be able to choose between allow, deny, always allow, always deny
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-11_18-29-26.png (64KB, 274x302px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-11_18-29-26.png
64KB, 274x302px
hey /g/, Linux semi-noob here. A few minutes ago my (Antergos) computer's internet stopped working (even though it was still connected to the wifi, and everything else in the house was still connected). Then, when I rebooted my computer, I saw everything I typed for a second (like what I assume a keylogger's output would look like) in that black-background-and-grey-text form (I can't remember what it's called, but I believe it's what normally shows up if you don't have gui/de stuff set to run at startup) that you sometimes see during startup/shutdown. Everything seems to be normal now, but what the fuck just happened?
>>
>>57038814
Just be careful to use a fairly thin cord sort of string or a flat but thin strap as the lanyard, and to be careful where on the back of the case you drill. There's not a whole lot of room inside it at points.

I've also got one spare Clip+ I got on eBay when I saw the prices starting to go up.
>>
>>57038892
Thanks anon, will try that. 1 question though: so no "game engines" are required?

>not sure exactly what to call them but they turn web shit into a native application
Webkit control
>>
File: 1335945403944.jpg (6KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
1335945403944.jpg
6KB, 201x251px
Is undervolting still a thing?

I got a 6600K is a SFF case, and I want to make it as cool and efficient as possible.
>>
>>57039028
*Webkit control?
>>
>>57039030
Sure you can undervolt and underclock it as much as you want
>>
>>57039030
You can try it but it will likely require underclocking as well to make it stable. You've bought a performance-oriented processor, why are you looking to put it in a tiny case and gimp it?
>>
>>57039028

No game engines? I wouldn't know why you'd think you would need one.

If it's a quiz app all you really need to do for the basics is have a list of questions and answers, keep track of the score, and load in new questions as the user advances. This is very easy to do with basic javascript and a little bit of DOM control. Hell, if the question set is small enough I'd just load them all in at the beginning and only make a couple visible at a time as the user advances, no need to load anything.
>>
File: 1461368270437.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1461368270437.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
>>57039027
Or I might just dremel off the remains and look into an aftermarket clip to stick on with some quality epoxy mix
I would be worried about a few negligent pulls breaking the plastic lanyard hole since I use mine everywhere
>>
>>57039055
I've gone the non-K route, only to regret it later when I needed the performance.

I'd rather spend the extra $20 and have the option, than to not and regret it.
>>
File: 2016-10-12 01.48.31.jpg (459KB, 1284x1097px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-12 01.48.31.jpg
459KB, 1284x1097px
>>57039082
Wait, they made clear ones? The only options I ever saw were deep red, blue, and black.

Also be careful when dremeling off the remains of the clip -- the plastic is pretty thin in places.

Here's how I did mine. The parts where it's still sticking up about half a millimeter are where it might have turned into a hole if I made it flush. I had this black string where the ends click together. I don't know where it came from but it must've been from some sort of pendant. The string goes across inside it between the headphone jack and the battery, and I used a piece of electric tape to keep the player from sliding back and forth on the string. I usually take it off by giving the player a yank, and it's been working fine for a few years now. The downside is it makes it easy to dunk it in glasses of water if you aren't careful. That's happened a couple times but amazingly it doesn't seem to have taken any damage.
>>
Early today a spilt protein shake on my keyboard

I turned off the laptop and wiped it down immediately

I turn it back on now and some keys aren't doing anything and some are writing other letters

Here is a result of the alphabet and 1-10

What the fuck do?
>>
>>57039210
Go to ebay, search "<laptop model> keyboard", and buy one. There's no fixing a fucked laptop keyboard, and yours is definitely fucked.
>>
File: 1475200760362.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1475200760362.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>57039194
>Wait, they made clear ones? The only options I ever saw were deep red, blue, and black.
I've been told the clear ones are special makes for prisons. Don't have source on that.

Neatly done work. Saved for future reference. I'm going to drag the life of mine as long as possible.

Pic barely related
>>
File: 1475785810219.jpg (58KB, 493x549px) Image search: [Google]
1475785810219.jpg
58KB, 493x549px
>>57038290
Not him, but am anime expert. The question will come down to who cares enough to pursue something like that. In my particular case, I don't use a vpn because I doubt that KyoAni is going to send my small ISP a letter about me downloading Hibike. The worst a Chinese Cartoon related company has ever done to fansubbing was when they ddos'd nyaa, so as a pirate's hobby, anime is pretty safe.
>>
Is zooper pro a good app to have?
>>
>>57038220
How old are you?
>>
>>57033786
My cpu temperatures ranges wildly from idle: 15-50, to under-load 40-70 and I don't understand why. When I mean wildly is that within 30 seconds it can drop/increase 30 whole degrees.

I've cleaned off the old dried thermal paste and reapplied it. Didn't solve it.
Reapplied it again just incase and even reseated the cpu. Didn't solve it.
I've replaced the stock cooler with another one and even purchased 2 additional 120mm fans to fill up the fan slots on my case.
There are no fans obstructing the cpu and I can see it spinning inside and it shows up in the bios as spinning.

The temperature is overall cooler especially the other parts. However the cpu is still wildly fluctuating and I don't understand why. It no longer overheats and shutsdown my computer but the core problem (extreme fluctuating temps) hasn't gone away.

tl;dr: Tried solutions on google, cpu temps wildly fluctuates up to 40 degrees in less than a minute. Don't understand.
>>
>>57039479
That seems normal.
>>
>>57038979
check logs
>>
>>57038290
no I've never used a VPN. imo worrying about those letters while torrenting is like worrying about lightning striking you from the sky
>>
File: 0f9cd0b473[1].png (8KB, 522x257px) Image search: [Google]
0f9cd0b473[1].png
8KB, 522x257px
is this a normal transfer speed? the whole card is 8gb
>>
>>57038290
>chinese cartoons
Nothing will happen. I'm sure it has happened before but I cannot name a single time. You only get those letters when you download the latest movies/shows (not anime movies, but stuff like the movie, The Accountant) and usually from very popular and common public torrents.

Don't download new movies and you should be fine.
>>
>>57039587
When transferring lots of small files it normal to get very slow transfers. You might try compressing them to a single file before transfer
>>
>>57039610
Bruh
>torrenting since original client
>suprnova is literally the only place

14 years of torrenting, not a single C&D or settlement,downloading 0day all day

Only "issue" i had was cox told me not to upload more then 3tb a month,that month i had uploaded 5tb,never heard from them again,used them 8 years exclusivly
>>
>>57039661
I've gotten a C&D before (humorously enough not even our fault. A friend torrented a movie on our wifi). No phone call or anything, it was just a letter and we just ignored it.

I put precaution on movies because that is the only place I've ever witnessed it and ever heard anyone witness it. I'm sure you're right that even that is unlikely but if the guy is scared enough to jump on a VPN, he should just stay away from day0 movies.
>>
>>57039587
Yeah. Some cards are slow as shit. Just be glad it's not 120 KB/s.
>>
>>57039632
>>57039705
thanks
>>
>>57039504
I didn't have temps that high 6 months ago when I built this rig and it is not the issue that it is high but that fluctuates so wildly.

I don't think if I have nothing but speccy open should temps go from 20s to 50s in less than 15 seconds and then back to 20 in the other 15 seconds.
>>
Does anyone know how to make part of the audio and video loop on flash?

I mean like this:
http://img.4plebs.org/boards/f/image/1434/50/1434504631838.swf

You see how the very start of the video and audio never loop again but the rest of the song does forever? How do you make a flash like that?
>>
>>57039798
Pretty sure that is just a loop with an intro.
>>
My sd card just crapped out with a message
>Blank SD card
>SD card blank or has unsupported file system
>Press >>>>here<<<<< to format
I don't have sensitive data on it, but I'd rather not have to reupload all my music and shit and I'm curious as to why it would crap out.
The sd is relatively new. Any leads?
>>
>>57039812
what do you mean exactly?
>>
>>57039835
The flash is two completely separate clips. The beginning that he manually synced with the audio and then the loop.

Either you have two movie clips and call the second movie clip to keep looping it or you just use gotoAndPlay(x)
>>
>>57039832
Did you buy it online for cheap? Usually a high capacity SD card sold cheap is really a small capacity one that's been modified to lie about its size. When you run out of real capacity it wraps around and corrupts your filesystem.

Use H2testw (Windows) or SD Insight (Android) to test it and see if it's a counterfeit card.
>>
>>57039884
it was bought from a big chain and it's not a chink brand,
I intend to replace it with a chink shit meme shark card in the future if this happens too often.
I'll do as you said with the sdinsight and see where that gets me.
>>
>>57039235
I took it apart and realised I couldn't access the keyboard

After reassembling it, it randomly works again

dodged a bullet
>>
>>57039862
>>57039862
Ok let me see if I can do this..
>>
>>57039963
>I took it apart and realised I couldn't access the keyboard
For most laptops you undo a few key screws on the bottom (often marked with a glyph that looks vaguely like a keyboard), then pry off a bar just above the keyboard, which often contains power and volume buttons. This will either reveal a couple screws holding the keyboard down or allow it to slide up and then out. If there is no bar, there are often little indents at the bottom of the keyboard that you use to push it upward toward the hinge and then lift it after you undo the right screws on the bottom.

>After reassembling it, it randomly works again
That is quite lucky.
>>
>>57039306
>>57039572
>>57039610
Thanks for the help guys, despite me being incompetent. I appreciate it
>>
>>57039479
>>57039768

>What CPU?
>What OS?
>What Motherboard?

Generally CPU temp fluctuating that fast in a short period of time happens when a process or program is running. (For example, when I open up a program on my PC my temperatures will go up from say 31C idle, to 42C, then back down to 35C though I assume you already knew that.) regardless your temps seem normal, but if it's shutting down to preserve itself because its reaching its thermal limit, there may be an issue.
>>
>>57039935
nothing unexpected, it appears I got a toshiba
I guess it's time to bulk buy some card an spend some time listening to radio while it arrives
>>
On Manjaro, when I use mpv to watch videos, there's a random chance for it to completely mess up everything to where I have to restart my computer for everything to work correctly. Whenever I am playing a video, there will be times when I can't double click or press escape to get out of fullscreen. The video will still play, but if I want to get out of it, I have to drag the trackbar to the end of the video for it to get out. When that happens, it messes up my entire interface by preventing me from opening my panel, switching windows or desktops, and preventing me from opening or closing any programs by making the buttons disappear.

Besides by the obvious step of not using mpv anymore, what can I do to fix this? What could cause something like this to happen?
>>
>Try to install chromium on Android phone
>try to set up sync
>durr account already exists
>chrome isn't installed

What is this shit man
>>
I need to toss a hard drive
What is the best way to format it to make sure data wont get recovered from it?
Would formatting, filling with random data, and formatting again be a good way?
>>
>>57040277
If SSD, look into secure erasing using a Linux distro, google for more info

If normal HDD, use DBAN.
Depending on how extreme you want to go, you could take it apart and smash the platter, rub it with a powerful magnet, microwave it or other various things. DBAN should work fine though.
>>
File: temps.png (91KB, 915x963px) Image search: [Google]
temps.png
91KB, 915x963px
>>57040120
Windows 7
AMD FX-8350
MSA97 R2.0

>I assume you know that
Yeah, I mean like without opening or even using the computer. Like if I am just sitting at my computer but playing my ps3 and glance over the temps would change. Pic related is a better explanation of the fluctuation with just firefox and paint open. Other than the stopwatch and printscreen/pasting I wasn't doing anything.

The other temps on my computer changed like 2-3 degrees at most during the time of the stopwatch. The actual cpu usage barely changed from 15-20% either.

Like it doesn't overheat anymore but the temps get pretty close depending on what I'm doing. I haven't tried rendering anything because if playing video games bring my temp to 70-75 I don't want to try and render a video.
>>
If I just intend to get an SSD to hold the OS installation, I should just snag one of the smaller ones, right? Any one in particular that you recommend?

I got a two-year old Seagate to act as storage for games, music, and all that shit.
>>
>>57039862
do you know the codes to

gotoplay and gotostop? I don't know how to use these
>>
>>57040255
Try logging into your account, not making a new one with the same name.
>>
>>57040450
That's what I'm doing senpai. As soon as I start chromium it asks me to log in. Even tried to remove my Google account but then it just makes me login to google and then chromium which throws up the same error.
>>
>>57040425
I got a 64GB SSD 5 years ago, used it for Windows 7 and Photoshop CSwhatever the latest is. Over time, due to Windows being bloated and handling updates poorly, it ended up at 45/50GB. So I'd say at least 100GB to be comfortable on Windows, 64GB should be fine for Linux. Samsung 850 Evos tend to be crowd favorites, they're good and cheap.
>>
>>57040400
If you haven't looked into it already, it looks like the max thermal tolerance for your CPU is 62C. Are you overclocked? I assume you would have mentioned if you were or not. Considering it's an AMD processor, memes aside it's going to run warmer, if you're not crashing I'd say it's fine? Though I still can't explain the difference in temperature. If you're up for it, you could try booting a Live distro and see if the issue persists, if it doesn't I'd imagine it's some run-away process that Windows is running or something similar. (An easier way of trying to see if it's a process would be simply looking through your task manager, however I would suggest a Live boot, as it would be an entirely different environment.) I read around and I saw mention of some people complaining of high temps using the same motherboard you're using, however that was only with overclocking. So I'd rule that out, assuming you're just running it stock.

Hope that helps a bit, it's what I'd try
>>
hi /sqt/
i'm using vmware to log into a remote machine for school
but it's got a different keyboard than the one i got on my computer, and it's really nasty seeing as i would mainly use it to write matlab scripts
how do i change its layout? there's no language/keyboard thingy in the lower left corner, and the usual shortcuts don't work. and of course, it has the usual uni/workplace pc restrictions as far as settings go
>>
File: max load.png (38KB, 985x152px) Image search: [Google]
max load.png
38KB, 985x152px
>>57040555
I'm running it stock, the motherboard is really cheap so I wouldn't want to overclock it. Also don't really do much cpu intensive stuff that I would need overclocking.

I just spent the last 20 minutes rendering a very large video that I had lying around. The temps hit 75-78 within like 3 minutes which concerned me but never actually increased beyond that. It hit 78 and has been there since. Considering this is literally the most intensive thing I do on my computer that's a pretty good sign and maybe while it is weird I shouldn't worry about it too much.

>try a live distro
I'll probably do this and see what happens.

Looking through task manager has not helped me once yet. I can't find anything that looks out of place. I found a similar thread that the guy's voltage is completely out of whack and it could be an issue. However voltage goes completely over my head.
>>
>>57040537
Yeah, gonna be installing Windows 7 onton one of 'em. Thanks, anon.

Lastly, any particular HDDs you recommend? My Seagate has been running strong, but I'm worried that it'll kick the bucket soon. Was thinking maybe a 2 TB Black from WD, but I heard some say that they only last a few months before shitting the bed.
>>
>>57040583
If you can't get to the keyboard layout config in control panel and change it just for your account, your only real option is to use a 3rd party program, maybe an AutoHotkey script to capture the keys you want to remap, and send the correct key instead.
>>
good computer architecture book? unversity recommends william stallings.
>>
>>57040625
Anything WD is probably fine, they're the crowd favorite for a reason, and your data is too important for anything but. Blacks are fast and loud(Normal late 80s/early 90s drywalled Pacific Northwest house, I can hear a WD Black through the bathroom wall), Blues are normal and cheap. And honestly, normal drives are fine nowadays, unless you NEED the crazy performance. And if you only need that crazy performance for one thing I'd consider spending the extra money on a bigger SSD than a faster HDD.
>>
Would the two PCIe 3.0 slots being in x8/x8 mode bottleneck two 1080's in SLI? PCIe 3.0 is new enough I'm not sure if video cards fully utilize it yet.
>>
does anyone know how to use the gotoplay and gotostop codes/commands on flash?

I want to have something play an intro only and then the second bit I want it to loop forever
>>
File: 1472683378905.jpg (141KB, 750x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1472683378905.jpg
141KB, 750x1072px
So my oleophobic layer of my tablet was ruined, after some vodka poured over it.
Is there any way to restore it? or something that would help?
>>
>>57040787
Eh, fair enough. I am a fairly casual computer user, and mainly use it for gaming and just typing up some papers, so I guess a WD Blue would be ideal. Hopefully the stories and reviews I've read about their sudden failures are just from the unlucky ones.

Thanks for the assistance, mate.
>>
>>57040807
Most cards won't be bottlenecked by 2.0 x8
It'll be fine
>>
>>57040854
Drives fail, it happens, WD drives fail less. I use my computer basically the same way, I don't regret my Blues. Sure thing.
>>
>websites aren't loading
>figure its a DNS problem
>can't even ping out to the nonfunctioning sites
>some do work
>i'm stuck in some kind of hell where 4chan and a couple of niche jap sites work but nothing else
I don't even know where to start with this.
I just felt like sharing this strange purgatory i'm in.
>>
>>57033786

How can I leech a video from an Instagram and turn it into a webm?

Because I totally don't to make something for /s/.
>>
>>57041061

MTU issues can cause this.
>>
Is it possible to have two different " external " IP in the same connection, same line, same network?
>>
>>57041120

Yes, but it's nontrivial. Google "BGP". The short is, you'll need a router capable of BGP, and two ISPs that let you do it. We run our office links this way.
>>
>>57041170
thaks, but to do this,..you need two different connections and two different ISP?
>>
Any idea if the AV receiver needs to support HDR if you play HDR material through it to an HDR tv?

I'm looking to get a new one and I'd hate to buy one now only to realize hdr won't work.
>>
File: 1462730322542.jpg (63KB, 340x510px) Image search: [Google]
1462730322542.jpg
63KB, 340x510px
>>57041085
>bing is the only search engine that seems to load right now
>none of the results load
McFucking kill me now.
I got the idea that it was my router so I just skipped it going straight to the modem and still no luck so this is probably something further down the line that's out of my hands. I wonder if it's something I could use a proxy to get around in a stupid way.
>>
Can someone recommend me a printer+scanner (all in one ) for a budget around 80ÂŁ
>>
Two questions.
For people still using Windows 7, how do you mantain it as in still updating it with important updates but keeping the W10 and telemetry garbage away

Are there any non-shit themes for Windows 10, other than this http://neiio.deviantart.com/art/Arc-618235768 which went full JEW MODE
>>
File: 1422167805822.jpg (340KB, 768x840px) Image search: [Google]
1422167805822.jpg
340KB, 768x840px
If I use some HDD clone software like Clonezilla to copy the C drive which contain the windows OS.
Can I use it to run it in a VM?
>>
>>57041404
I haven't installed a single update since September 2015
>>
>>57041352
Traceroute. See how far it makes it before it fails. Try this for multiple websites. Are you on Comcast? This happened to me last night.
>>
I'm having trouble with flash

I have the intro going fine but the 2nd clip which is loop clip starts playing just before it's over and I don't know how to make it play exactly when the intro ends, does anyone know how to fix this?
>>
>>57041404
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/ and staying at least a couple of months behind on updates, checking here, various news sites, and related subreddits for news before updating.
>>
>>57041431
They all fail immediately at the ISP hop, except on sites that do work where it will complete successfully.

I heard about that Comcast shit last night, and was thinking maybe this is related but i'm not on Comcast thankfully.
>>
>>57041453
Is your hardware new? how is the compatibility? I have a FX6300 and heard about problems with windows 7
>>
>>57041499
Phenom II x4 955, Gigabyte 990XA-UD3, GTX 660(Swapping it for a $90 4GB 960 this weekend). No issues with hardware.
>>
>>57038785
Anyone? I tried assigning static IP address, restarting router and PC, but it's all useless.
>>
Just installed new motherboard. (used my old CPU, it's the same socket). When I plug in and turn on, lights and fans come on for a couple of seconds then shut off for a second. Then, they come on again on their own, and it seems to be running normally--I get a POST beep and everything. However, I don't get any video. The motherboard has no integrated GPU, but I've tried 2 known good GPUs in 2 different PCIe slots, nothing works.

I'm fucking stumped. Any idea what could be wrong?

>ASUS P5Q Pro mobo
>Core 2 Quad Q9550 (shut up, I'm poor)
>>
>>57041453
Does windows 7 still have windows defender?
>>
>>57037005
fart simulator for Windows 10
>>
>>57041689
Yeah
>>
>>57037657
Disable xHCI in BIOS and use ECHI instead.

Should fix it.
>>
Is there a good 13" laptop with a sim slot and a numpad?
If there isn't one, what's the best choice?
It's going to be used for web browsing, so, if i can find one, i would be fine with a used laptop
>>
why won't Hiro split up /g/ into /g/ - Technology for technology discussion and /fag/ Fashion/Technology for consumer electronics, ricing and battlestationshit?
>>
>>57041815
Didn't you hear? They're thinking of merging boards. So forget about splitting anything up.
>>
Please teach me how to browse for tablets. I am in the market to buy, but maybe not right now.

What should I look out for and seek? What should I avoid? My only requirement right now is android and a mostly seamless top, if you know what I mean, though I'm pretty sure that's standard for modern tablets now.

I checked the wiki about two weeks ago but the only android tablet they list is the Nexus 9 which was discontinued half a year ago and has inflated to 1,000 CAD on amazon from the original seller and stuff. I asked for alternatives but got no replies.
>>
>>57042032
I'm looking for a tablet for my dad too and the only sensible recommendation I've gotten was the Pixel C, which looks great but can't get in my country.
>>
>>57042055
Yeah, I read of the Pixel C in the article I read that first told me the Nexus 9 was discontinued. This was two weeks ago, and the first google link for "Nexus 9" was still the official vendor, which when you go to buy only leads to broken links...

So, cheers m8. I mean, sorry you can't get the tablet, but thanks for reminding me of it, anyway. Sorry. I still want to know how to browse the market anyway though, too, or maybe of just straight recommendations.
>>
>>57042055
the pixel c costs more than twice as much as my laptop at 649 usd so maybe i can't go for that anyway...
>>
>>57042092
Honestly there are 2013 8inch tablets that provide a similar user experience to what's out there today. Yeah you'll, get more omph out of a $600+ device, but if you're strapped for cash it's not too bad stepping down a bit.
>>
>>57042199
Where do you start browsing though? Sorry to occupy so many posts in this thread with this convo but I have no idea where to start. I only use my tablet for porn and mobile games.
>>
gonna install windows. 7 or 10? why?
>>
>>57042211
I'd think your best bet would be to just go to some store and try out a bunch of tablets
>>
>>57042284
From what I've seen the Windows 10 UI looks really good, honestly. Not "blow your socks off" good, but, "actually like Windows 7 and intuitive" good.

The only thing I heard was that you can't disable telemetry (m$ harvesting your data, using your PC to seed updates etc.) on it, but that was [citation needed] at the time so I can offer no real input, sorry.
>>
>>57042211
Amazon, ebay, cnet, wirecutter, best of lists. Read around on the different models. Reviews are as important as anything. Anything with a snapdragon 600 and 1080p or above and good reviews will usually leave you pretty satisfied

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-android-tablet/
>>
>>57042284
Some people have had their system fucked up pretty bad by the windows updates, which microsoft makes a pain to disable. On the other hand they're about to make it impossible to choose individual updates in 7 too. But 7 gets fiddled with less. Eventually 7 will be pretty much a non-option, but if you don't need Dx12 it's still pretty comfy for now.

>>57042302
You definitely can't disable 100% of telemetry in 10, just minimize it through certain settings.
>>
>>57042326
Aye, cheers... I guess that's the only way after all, isn't it... better get started, I guess.

And sorry for not responding to the other guy (>>57042296) but the only resource-heavy thing I do is play mobile games, but they're still the time vs. money mobile games. They're not resource-heavy except when you're sitting on a few specific animations on-screen, but I can't feasibly download the games, log into the play store, then load my save to test that, right... and it'd be a matter of hardware, anyway.

The only model-to-model complaints I may have is that on my current tablet I sometimes accidentally press the back or task manager (I suppose) buttons since they aren't buttons. Like, cum on them would make them spaz out. But I've learned to periodically copy everything I've typed so far, and that's the type of thing you observe before using a model, anyway. Plus, some apps save your ass from losing your data by giving you a confirmation screen. That doesn't save you from task manager and accidentally scrolling the app off to close it, but it helps sometimes. So I mean, I don't really need to hands-on test product, I think- it's just hardware vs price (vs. possible model inferiority), to me.
>>
My laptop fan broke, and since those fuckers ask for 70 bucks for the replacement without parts, I'm going to do it myself.

Question is, does changing the fan means replacing the thermal paste ? Or is it separated from the heat sink ?
>>
What encryption software should I use on windows?
>>
>>57042378
>On the other hand they're about to make it impossible to choose individual updates in 7 too.

WHAT, why??? And, source? Any idea when this is about to drop?

I've had to run cmd commands I found through google to uninstall some updates after Windows Update enables itself and installed it all once, but this would only be a cockblock.
>>
Why small? Can't they be stupid?
>>
>>57033786
how do i get into electrical engineering? i want to work with digital stuff but i don't know where to start.
>>
>>57042426
I think this is what he was talking about
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/10/10/say-good-bye-to-individual-patches-on-windows-7-and-8/
>>
>>57042524
>Microsoft will change how patches and updates are delivered to devices running Windows 7 or Windows 8 starting tomorrow.

meatball on fork.jpg
>>
>>57042426
I find it amusing that every time I bring this up someone's like 'THEFUCKAREYOUTALKINGABOUT??!?'

Yeah, they're not releasing individual updates any more. Said the windows 10 update model was such a big success they decided to backport it. I haven't heard anything officially about windows update forcing updates, but they're simply not going to release the individual versions any more. All you can do is get cumulative updates with everything, or nothing. The exception is the monthly security only updates rollup, but they're going to be a pain to get.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-move-to-monthly-patch-rollups-for-windows-7-8-1-as-of-october-2016/
http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/08/windows-7-8-1-moving-to-windows-10s-cumulative-update-model/
>>
>>57042566
I like the source the first guy provided. It has this excerpt that mentions telemetry unlike your sources:

>While that is bad enough, it gets worse.
>If you don't trust Microsoft enough because of its actions in the past year -- Get Windows 10 or Telemetry are two headwords -- then you may not want those cumulative updates. The reason is simple: you cannot block updates that you don't want anymore.

I probably shouldn't sit on an outdated version of W7 for very long, so this is making me kind of antsy desu. This makes it so there's no reason anymore to choose 7 over 10 except for the UI and possible program support, right?
>>
>>57033786
Autohotkey, linus cunt tips did tutorial about that if you can't be bothered to read documentation.
>>
>>57042606
This makes it so there's no reason anymore to choose 7 or 10 over Linux or BSD
>>
Something in my rather newly built computer is producing a low pitched, but still rather annoying buzzing noise whenever loads are low (i.e. when I'm just browsing the internet).

It's not entirely unbearable but I'd love to fix it somehow.

Which part could be causing the problem? I believe it to either emit from the PSU or GPU but I can't really tell honestly.

Here's some relevant parts.
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 860
GPU: G1 Gigabyte GTX 1080
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
Mobo: ASUS Z170

It's maybe worth noting that the computer is about a week old. Had absolutely no problems when I built it in and everything seems to be in order as far as I can tell.
>>
>>57042606
They were some of the first links. As in this has been public info for a while. I'm disappointed but not surprised that you still need internet explorer to download the security patches. I expect pretty soon someone will figure out a convenient way to install them with some tool or another. If you don't care about non-security updates that's probably still the best option that doesn't involve penguins.
>>
>>57033786
I just read that an unofficial update have been made to an android keyboard app I used, which its last official update was from 2011, and the unofficial update bring Android L skin to the keyboard. However, when I try to download it, I am not able to get a working link to the app. THe keyboard is named "Android L 中文鍵盤(CedIME)" and google search turn up a few apparently useful site.
First google search result is from ezone, which is a local computer magazine, but it provided the link via googl url shortener service and google think the link target is harmful and thus censored the link
Second google search result is a blog on blogspot, not sure about the identity of the blog owner but it linked copy dot com for the download of the software which have already terminated their service.
Third search result is on gphonefans dot net which appears to be a short review, but the domain name have already expired. Luckily the post is still accessible by google cache, however the bitly link it provided return http 500.
All other search results seems to be merely copying from the gphonefans site.
Is it now impossible for me to download that app?
>>
does a 600 MHz cat5 cable provide any meaningful benefit, or are they just trying to jew me out of an extra $3?
>>
>>57042814
Don't know shit about tech, but extra three dollars relative to what? What is the $3 less product
>>
>>57042814
cat5e? cat7?

These standards exist for a reason. Advertising only exists to jew you.
>>
What's power of z or zSpace?
>>
>>57043154
I googled zSpace. It's 3d glasses for the classroom. Like, making every kid wear a pair of these google glasses and they'll see shit like augmented reality stuff.

Sounds impressive to a retard, is pretty stupid and unecessary though. They're also not really making a product, they're just trying to find people to take their technology off their hands from looking at their website.
I dont want to call them scam artists trying to sell a shitty product, but it seems close.

Why do you even ask that? In which context did you learn of this? It seems really obscure.
>>
How do I set up a stream from my computer? I want to stream some movies.
>>
>>57043254
A girl asked me this.
Instantly posted on /g/ to get quick result because I couldn't find something on jewgle
>>
>>57043295
Well I forgive you for not bothering with google because they put up this really confusing front for it that doesn't let you find out what the product actually is without digging. The mark of scam artists.
>>
>>57043279
this might help
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+I+set+up+a+stream+from+my+computer%3F+I+want+to+stream+some+movies.
>>
>>57043308
Thanks for the help anon
>>
File: shut ur mouth.jpg (46KB, 377x384px) Image search: [Google]
shut ur mouth.jpg
46KB, 377x384px
>>57043322
>>
>>57035216
I remember doing this exact assignment in this exact language 3-4 years ago in highschool. We had a textbook that said all of the dialog options like change color and such. Basically in code for the button you have an onClick event or whatever it's called start the other object's color dialog box. I'll have to look at VB again to give you an exact answer, but you'll never use VB again after that class. Learn C early.
>>
>>57043426
Dim MyFont As New StdFont With MyFont
.Name = "Arial"
.Size = 10
.Bold = True
End With

Set yourspecificwindow.Font = MyFont
>>
>>57042032
I am really fucking annoyed, by the way, that literally overnight my tablet's battery started shitting itself, basically, after two years 3 mo. of use. I just woke up one day to find my tablet at 45% charge instead of being charged to full. Alright, I think, I'll just use it while it's plugged-in. But no, it still drains even when I do this now.

Now my tablet can only get a mere 10% charge overnight, literally. And it has to be off, not in sleep. If I accidentally unplug it for seconds while it use, it drops 2% from like 8 to six, though maybe this is because I don't naturally drain it at percentages this low, so the display is wonky. Either way, it's horrible. It doesn't help that for some reason the charger is difficult and finicky to keep plugged-in, now.

Not a question, just ranting. Also I just sage googled "replace samsung galaxy tab 4 battery" and see some tutorial videos so maybe I can replace this piece of shit battery even without a "removable battery".
>>
File: file.png (24KB, 558x147px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
24KB, 558x147px
So looking at this benchmark fx-9370 is only about 15% weaker than i7-4790k, but at the same time it's about half the price. What's with that is the benchmark shit? Or is it really only slightly worse and I should buy it?
>>
>>57043557
It's half the price because you're buying an AMD CPU.

Wether that's a good or bad thing is entirely subjective.
>>
I accidentally removed the thermal paste from my GPU VRAM cooling pads. Can I use normal thermal paste instead? How fucked up can they be while still being OK to use?
>>
>>57043557
Shit single core performance.
>>
>>57041417
yes
>>
File: 1475684117153.jpg (22KB, 259x320px) Image search: [Google]
1475684117153.jpg
22KB, 259x320px
My work computer gets this whenever I use google search or Google maps. But calendar, keep and drive works.

If I use ANY other site, its fine. Why is this?

Also, I cannot use captchas. 4chan works fine, but no captchas appear. Specifically, the box that you check to verify you're not a robot.

I fixed Mozilla (it had the same problem) by following some guy on YouTube and fixing the proxy but it won't work with Chrome.
>>
Why does switching from tty7 to tty1-6 and vice versa take so long?
>>
How can I live a beautiful life?

If I'm asking this question now does it mean that it's already too late?
>>
>>57044018
[netsh winhttp reset proxy]
>>
File: 1320780217541.png (211KB, 936x2088px) Image search: [Google]
1320780217541.png
211KB, 936x2088px
How do I kill myself in the most painful way possible? Self immolation?
>>
>>57044018
Maybe try clearing your DNS cache or something
>>
>>57044069
Read more
>>
>>57044093
Is your picture related to why you want to kill yourself? Tell us the story anon
>>
>>57044069
get off 4chan
>>
>>57044018
set your dns to google dns maybe
>>
>>57044069
>>/adv/
>>
>>57044093
Jump into one of these things feet first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAqJO82lAwI
>>
does osx have x-forwarding the same way linux does?

if i ssh into an osx machine can i run osx-specific programs via the x-forwarding or is that not allowed?
>>
File: 1449076282087s.jpg (8KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
1449076282087s.jpg
8KB, 250x201px
how do people do this to music? is there a simple program that automatically does it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnS-05XoXs4
>>
File: why.png (6KB, 541x149px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
6KB, 541x149px
Why won't windows show the free/occupied space of that USB stick?
>>
How to prepare USB pendrive with Linux OS (any distro) that will boot in EFI mode? I've formated about 15 times with ubuntu and it won't boot to me. I am preparing this on BIOS-booted Linux machine.
>>
>>57044262
maybe because the name is so long and taking up two lines instead of one, try shortening the name.
>>
>>57044250
No, they painstakingly do it manually. It requires a good ear for tones and some creativity.

I'm sure there'd be a way to automate it, maybe there is already, but it's bound to be garbage.
>>
>>57044283
have you tried this?
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
>>
File: why2.png (11KB, 982x253px) Image search: [Google]
why2.png
11KB, 982x253px
>>57044285
Well seems like that was it? it shows up in this view
>>
File: firefox_2016-10-12_12-12-41.png (43KB, 518x774px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-10-12_12-12-41.png
43KB, 518x774px
>>57044093
seems like immolation's the way to go, but a shotgun is more successful
>>
File: SonyTrinitronMultiScan-200ES.jpg (103KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
SonyTrinitronMultiScan-200ES.jpg
103KB, 600x600px
for some reason i have to set my CRT resolution to 640x480 @ 120fps manually for my CRT to make the switch to 320x240 @ 120fps in emulators
if i dont, even if i have 320x240 selected, the CRT will stay in the previous resolution. screenshots still show that the real resolution is 240p

how can i switch to 240p in emulators without having to set a 120 Hz desktop resolution everytime ?
>>
I remember there being a rather extensive pastebin guide that aids in removing all telemetry from windows 7 manually.

I found this while googling http://pastebin.com/KXM7ZFg7
But I'm unsure wether it's outdated and will fuck something up or if it should still be good.

Can someone take a look at it and tell me wether it'd be alright, and if not, maybe help me find the manual guide?
>>
>>57044022
Anyone?
>>
File: 2014-01-04 22_01_57.png (800KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2014-01-04 22_01_57.png
800KB, 1366x768px
>>57042566
>can no longer exclude the kb970333 activation detection patch
fug
>>
File: 1448507686034.jpg (309KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1448507686034.jpg
309KB, 1200x1500px
i have a adsl modem/ip-telephony thing connected to my phone line, and a wifi card in my computer. the signal is pretty weak though, and i'd like to make it better somehow. neither computer nor modem is moveable, and i'd like to avoid wires.

i've a decent wireless router and i wonder if it's possible to set it up as a repeater? and if so, where do i begin? i believe there's openWRT available but i don't know if it helps me or not.
>>
>>57044348
pc (31KHz+) crt monitors can't do 320x240@60Hz, which is presumably what the other programs are trying to set it to
the reason is that the horizontal frequency is too low, you have to either doublescan or use a doubled refresh rate to get that low a resolution

if you want true 320x240@60Hz, you need a crt television or arcade monitor (~15KHz)
>>
>>57044350
looks good to me
uninstalls patches, disables scheduled tasks, and adds null routes to the hosts file.
>>
>>57044398
thats why im saying 320x240 @ 120 fps
i have the 240p resolution set to be 120 Hz. and it works that way.
>>
>>57044410
Thank you anon.

And sorry, I'm really new at this. I'll just copy-paste that whole thing, put it in a .bat file on the desktop, and run it?
>>
im trying to change the color of my ps1 prompt but i dont see anything that looks like a color in here and im confused

this is arch linux with gnome terminal
>>
>>57044292
I need Linux booted by UEFI on pendrive and this guide does not provide this.
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
I built a new skylake i7 case and I want to use blender, photoshop etc...

I tried using the win 7 pro product key on my x220 but it didn't work. it says it's expired.

should I buy windows 10? or pirate win 7? which option is better/safer?
>>
>>57044250
Boredom and audio/video editing.
>>
File: pr_sharable.jpg (66KB, 720x331px) Image search: [Google]
pr_sharable.jpg
66KB, 720x331px
Is it a good idea to buy a new ".blog" domain for my blog, when the sales of this new domain starts this month?
>>
Can i somehow use igpu's display ports as dgpu's? My new 1060 don't have analog ports and i would have to buy new displays.
>>
File: fuckrightoffpls.jpg (116KB, 1103x484px) Image search: [Google]
fuckrightoffpls.jpg
116KB, 1103x484px
What the actual fucking fuck is a <blockx> for fuck's sake?
Fuck.
Fucking fuckers.
>>
How do I really and completely disable fucking windows 10 updates?

It's a work machine, I didnt want to fuck around in the registry or stuff like this, plus, running an outdated OS seemed like a stupid idea (also compliance and shit), but fuck that!

I have this machine now since 3 weeks, and I have lost a lot of work 5 times so far, since this piece of shit decided to just reboot at night, and close all my dozens of models and references I have open, causing me to loose hours of work.

I dont care anymore. If someone wants to target me, and rootkit my PC through an unpatched security hole, feel free to fuckin come in and have a blast. Your sabotage can't be worse than Microsoft fucking with my work.
>>
>>57044714
>disable windows 10

hehe

I'm afraid it really it is that bad.

The only machine I have Windows 10 on is my game machine. No way in hell I'd trust it with anything that matters. I use 7, Ubuntu, and Sierra everywhere else.
>>
>>57044453
yes
>>
>>57035122
It's a virtual machine... How much harm do you think it could do?
>>
>>57035491
Welcome to puberty. When you turn 13 you will have a boner constantly.
>>
>>57044740
>No way in hell I'd trust it with anything that matters.
Tell that to my universities IT department…
I'm mostly working on my private machine anyways [spiller]it runs linux[/spoiled], but there is some specific windows only software I have to use, plus I need a desktop for some heavy lifting…
>>
>>57034918
I should try this, I have an HD 3000, but I'm out of SSD space and too lazy to reinstall OS on a bigger drive.
>>
>>57044532
Getting ubuntu 16.04.1 image resolved problem.
>>
I'm thinking of installing a Linux distribution to escape win 10.
Only problem is I want to use my cracked Manga Studio EX.
Can I use it in wine?
Also recommend distro
>>
>>57044250
with a keyboard

that guy knows the notes, puts smonk le wee wee erryday on each key of his keyboard with the pitch and then just plays it while the background music runs.

or he uses some software and puts the notes manually with a mouse

but due to the fact that he made a lot already, I guess he's just gifted with music making skills. I can only sample and do bad mashups.

Making music is extrmely fun though, you can force music on everybody - just play it in front of them and youre in there heads already. not so simple with self written programs, people must be willing to use your softwaer
>>
>>57044815
I'm 22. Thanks to >>57035521 I kind of understood I should cut off my lack of sleep.
>>
where in the FUCK is the settings for forced aliasing and all that shit when you're using an amd card? i'm going fucking insane and this garbage pile called "radeon settings" isn't what i'm fucking looking for.
i want my CCC back.
>>
File: IMG_20161011_020031.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161011_020031.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
>>57044085
What?
>>57044102
>>57044174
I did both of these and restarted my chrome but still no luck. Also, captcha/verification box still invisible.
>>
>>57035122
>>57034787
The usual Windows program for things other than Thinkpads and Macbooks is Speedfan. It scans the bus for any fan controllers and sensors it recognizes and uses them.
>>
>>57044838
I just installed it and can confirm it runs ok like >>57035647 said, same settings except no MLAA, I get 20-30fps depending on traffic mostly.
>>
>>57034787
it has to do with CPU temp, not load. you might want to replace the thermal compound.

>>57042399
in most cases, yes. and if it's a cheap laptop (not from a business line) you're going to have to take the entire thing apart to get to the heatsink and fan.

>>57042673
probably coil whine. test one thing at a time and see if it still does it (do a GPU bench, then CPU bench, then test each fan, etc)

>>57043557
it's true for that benchmark, but that FX9370 is at 4.7GHz (using over 200W) and the 3770K would run at 3.6GHz under load (using probably 70W). if that 3770K was at 4.7GHz, it would be above that 4790K, but it would also be using significantly more power than stock (probably 175W or more)

>>57044714
block all MS IP's at the router level
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.