[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FUNCTIONAL PROGRAMMING BTFO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: lmao.png (12KB, 225x321px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
12KB, 225x321px
>When it comes to code reuse, projects that used an object-oriented approach were able to take more than 70% of their code from previous projects. Subsequently, the projects that used functional design were able to take about 35 percent of their code from previous projects (McGarry, Waligora, and McDermott 1989).

OMG HOW ARE FUNCTIONAL TARDS EVER GONNA RECOVER FROM THIS #REKKING?
>>
LMAO /g/ Haskell and Lisp fizzbuzzers on suicide watch, doctors have taken away their belts and shoelaces!
>>
DELET THIS
>>
>>57031447
NEVER
>>
>>57031412
It's easy to reuse code when it's mostly boilerplate.
>>
>>57031412

Wow this "study" from THIRTY FUCKING YEARS ago totally BTFO functional programming.

4/10 for triggering me and making me bite
>>
>>57031412
Poo.Init();
>>
>>57031633

This is racist.
>>
>>57031698
Sorry.
>>
>>57031709

I forgive you.
>>
>>57031412
>"reuse 70% of code"
>public class XEntityControllerFactory implements FooBar
>public static abstract void
>SomeShit<Bar> = new SomeShit<Bar>

Probably all the OO bloat and redundancies that simply don't exist in purely functional languages.
>>
I don't really know much about functional programming, but I bet you know nothing about either
>>
>>57031854
No, I just want to list sources from 1989. I don't care about programming lol
>>
>>57031854

Nobody really does know, it doesn't make any logical sense.

>>57031789

Maybe that's why functional programming became so successful and ubiquitous, right? Oh wait...
>>
>>57031924
>Maybe that's why functional programming became so successful and ubiquitous, right? Oh wait...
C and Java are the most known programming languages. Javascript is the hip language. So eh.
>>
>>57031924
mfw almost every language supports a large number of functional features out-of-box

gtfo
>>
>>57032436
>mfw without greentext
>mfw without face
>all lowercase
Get out cancer
>>
>>57032929
>How dare he do something completely irrelevant differently than what I'm accustomed to
>>
OOP is the only way to have lots of marginally-skilled programmers work on the same project without it going to shit, so of course it's used more often.

functional programming is better though
>>
>>57033022
>defending shitty, low quality posts
People like you are the reason why this site is getting worse every day
>>
>>57032929
Do you even know what greentexting is actually for you insufferable faggot???
>>
>>57033188
Yes, for posts like >mfw, among others.
>???
Lurk more, it's obvious that you're new
>>
>>57031698
So?
>>
>>57033066
>shitty, low quality posts
Like irrelevant comments on the color of text?

He actually made a really good point. Most modern programming languages do support functional programming in some form.
>>
>>57033214
Are you 12? Nobody fucking cares mate. Especially online on anonymous image boards.
>>
>>57031412
>1989
They didn't even know what programming was back then. Stop discrediting Karlie Kloss you racist cisgender BIGOT
>>
>>57031431
>Lisp
Who still uses fucking Lisp of all languages? I used it to automate some stuff in AutoCAD and it was a pain in the ass to do anything with it.
>>
>>57035206
Try when your IQ reaches over 10 next time.
>>
>>57035206

Believe it or not, people still use AutoLisp.

I have to work in it every now and again.

I fucking hate this.

(((defun nofun)))))))))))
>>
F# has OOP support for interop with .net, so we get the best of both worlds...
>>
>>57031412

>When it comes to code reuse, projects that used an object-oriented approach were able to take more than 70% of their code from previous projects.

70% of object-oriented code is just

System.Class.import()

and

public static void extern class

etc.

>>
>>57035550
Yeah, except you're on Windows, you fucking Pajeet!
>>
>>57035725

Confirmed for never having coded OOP.
>>
>>57031412
>oop is 70% cut and paste
>funcD is 35% cut and paste
sounds like the functional guys write at least twice as much original code.
op rekt
>>
>>57036937
Cut and paste is not code reuse, you fucking moron. Geez, how to spot the beginner!
>>
>>57037121
t. Pajeet
>>
>>57038171

>cut and paste is code reuse
>only pajeets think otherwise

Oh boy, to what level has /g/ fallen?!?
>>
>>57038297
>import OopPajeet.util.*
>/g/ is one guy
confirmed for Oracle Certified Associate
>>
>>57031412
>were able to take more than 70% of their code from previous projects
kek, the way OOP bullshit works is that you want to take 10% and then need to pull in the other 60% to make it fucking work (libraries, parent classes, etc)

you want the banana, but end up with a monkey holding the banana surrounded by the entire fucking jungle
>>
>>57031540
APPLY WATER TO BURNED AREA
HOW WILL OOPFAGS EVER RECOVER?
>>
>>57038718
the fat paychecks help numb the pain
>>
>>57036598
Try again you stupid try hard faggot, f# works on windows, mac and gnu+linux.
>>
>>57035206

I... I like LISP.
>>
File: bf6.jpg (22KB, 456x628px) Image search: [Google]
bf6.jpg
22KB, 456x628px
>>57031412
Oh shit rekt. g2g, killing myself
>>
>>57031412
As a C++ and JS programmer who doesn't like Lisp or Haskell, I'd like to say this proves nothing and isn't an argument.
>>
OOP fag here:
Define 'reuse', because I've witnessed the following situation quite a few times:
>can we reuse that one package from last year's project?
>sure, what are it's dependencies?
>uhm... Just copy the whole project over... We can make it a library
>>
If only they had written it in forth they could have done p cool stuff.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.