[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/! What is your opinion on what desktop environment or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: OprtNhq.jpg (105KB, 922x574px) Image search: [Google]
OprtNhq.jpg
105KB, 922x574px
Hello /g/! What is your opinion on what desktop environment or WM is best. Also explain why you think that desktop environment or WM is best.
>>
i3
try it, you'll see
>>
>>57029810
Tried it, I don't like how you cannot use the mouse for windows manipulation.
>>
>>57029743
>What is your opinion on what desktop environment or WM is best.
KDE
File picker
Mouse control
Dolphin
KDE connect
Korganizer
Kdevelop
Krita
>>
>>57029840
Also it cannot use gtk themes.
>>
>>57029844
May you explain why you think KDE is the best?
>>
>>57029844
you forgot Kdenlive. But yeah, KDE is definitely the best de as far as a "turn-key solution" goes--and it looks good too
>>
>>57029876
File picker
Mouse control
Dolphin
KDE connect
Korganizer
Kdevelop
Krita - All part of KDE
>>
>>57029854
Horseshit, just run a session manager like lxsession or the cinnamon-settings-daemon

This post is written in i3 with the Numix gtk theme
>>
File: 1458447494998.png (205KB, 1280x809px) Image search: [Google]
1458447494998.png
205KB, 1280x809px
I do it for free
>>
>>57029901
How about mouse windows manipulation?
>>
>>57029915
It's there, but only for floating windows.

You can move floating windows by holding alt while dragging the window.

Tiled window manipulation is done with your keyboard.

The entire reason I use i3 is because:
- I like tiled windows for programming / development
- I like to be able to do everything with my keyboard and never having to touch a mouse
>>
>>57029897
>>57029914
I have tried KDE before but what I didn't like was the lack of themes and how I couldn't fix screen tearing on Kwin (not from a lack of trying, I tried to fix it for over a month).
>>
>>57029956 here.

>>57029915
Also, what kind of windows manipulation do you wish for, anon?
>>
>>57029974
Which you can do with only a mouse.
>>
>>57030004
That's not very descriptive, I asked WHAT KIND of window manipulation you want, not how windows are manipulated.

Do you want to move around tiled windows with a mouse? If yes, how would you even go about moving around tiled windows with a mouse, considering it's all a tree structure and only digital input makes sense for that. You wouldn't be able to just drag around a window and expect it to do exactly what you have in mind because of the tree structure.
>>
>>57030070
I want manipulation of windows which are manually resizable and can can snap to the corners or sides of the desktop. Like a normal DE such as XFCE, KDE, LXDE, or Mate
>>
>>57029844
I would swich to KDE if I could use meta+shift+tab to switch between desktops.
That may sound like not a lot but I freaking need that shortcut because I use it all the time.
>>
>>57030187
its in System Settings>Shortcuts>Global Keyboard Shortcuts, change the drop down box to kwin, and theres support for like twenty workspaces
>>
File: kot ravioli.jpg (105KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
kot ravioli.jpg
105KB, 612x612px
I like the Awesome wm
>>
>>57030350
May you explain why you think Awesome WM is the best? Also does it have windows manipulation with the mouse?
>>
>>57030350
Also hello fellow rusbro. Пpивeт кaк дeлa.
>>
>>57030308
dude, You really think I didn't try to actually change this shortcut?
It doesn't work for the meta-shift-tab combination
>>
I am going to go with XFCE, convince me not to.
>>
>>57030603
my bad, the command just seems to be completely broken and badly functioning even when it does work
>>
MATE is just so comfy.
>>
XFCE. It just werks and it's fast on old hardware.
>>
>>57029743
Openbox with tint2. Haven't found anything better yet.
>>
>>57031484
No window snapping.
>>
>>57029743
>XFCE
Good DE for light environments. Has the simplicity of XP with a fair amount of features. I'd use it in a netbook / laptop situation if I didn't have a touch screen for it.

>LXDE
Good for low RAM situations but too ugly to consider for daily use on modern comps.

>MATE

GNOME2 clone.. Boring to look at but good at accomplshing their goals, if that goal is being boring.

>KDE

Heavy, but pretty. Too much software integrated into the thing. A stripped down version of KDE is my default DE. Very Windows-like.

>Pantheon

Hot garbage which cripples functionality in a bad attempt to be an OSX clone. Lots of problems with it off the bat, but I didn't bother looking at it for more than 15m. Budgie or Deepin is almost certainly better than this, but I didn't care enough to try them.

It's a GNOME derivative and you might as well install GNOME + a dock instead.

>Unity

It's basically just GNOME 3 with an amazonian botnet.

>Cinnamon

Tries to do what XFCE does, but manages to be buggier and slower. Mint isn't something I'd consider these days.

>GNOME 3

It's average. Average in every way I can think of. Requires systemd though so purists don't like it.
>>
File: Icewm.jpg (207KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Icewm.jpg
207KB, 1280x1024px
>>57029743
EDE or icewm. /thread
>>
>>57029743
>best wm
dwm>xmonad>scrotwm>awesome...>i3
>>
>>57031629
>LXDE
>too ugly to consider for daily use on modern comps
But isn't it like super customizable or something? I'm genuinely asking, I never used it. Or was it Xfce..?
>KDE
>Too much software integrated into the thing
At least it's good software (mostly). And you can always delete it.
>Pantheon
>Hot garbage
>Lots of problems with it off the bat
Like what?
>Deepin is almost certainly better than this, but I didn't care enough to try them
Agreed. I'm using deepin as my main DE. You should try it, it's very pretty.
>>
>>57030156
If you were using i3 properly you'd see that question is pointless. never leave tiled and you don't have to drag them that way
>>
I like XFCE, "it just werks" but also lets you modify a lot and you can make it real pretty. It's also pretty lightweight which I like and doesn't look bad without any modifications.

For WM I like i3 and awesome the most. Awesome is imho better if you are willing to put more time into writing your config, i3 is better "out of the box" or with very little configuration. I also used Ratpoison at one point but that was a bit too much.

I have to confess though, I use the default xfce wm when I'm lazy and just want to use mouse, like when i want to just watch movies or play point'n'çlick adventure games.
>>
I use Plasma, a bit heavy but looks great and just werks out of the box. XFCE if I'm on a toaster or want to switch things up.

I've never gotten the point of Gnome, it's required shitloads of tweaking to be decent looking and usable every time I've tried it.
>>
>>57031866
>But isn't it like super customizable or something? I'm genuinely asking, I never used it. Or was it Xfce..?

Yeah, it's pretty customizable. You can even make it an OSX clone with a dock and a GNOME-like top bar.

But I'm lazy, have better things to do, and I want things to Just Werk^tm and look pretty out of the box.

>>Pantheon
>>Hot garbage
>>Lots of problems with it off the bat
>Like what?

copy/pasting from the last thread on Pantheon:

>- Suffers from OSX ripoff syndrome but can't hide the top bar when something wants fullscreen because it's a GNOME derivative
>- Spams the hell out of notifications for simple tasks
>- Can't preview multiple windows of the same process type (e.g. multiple Chromium windows) so good luck if you want to keep track of anything at a glance
>- Can't do an 'always-on' dock without allocating the bottom 50px of the screen permanently
>- Spawns another instance of the process if clicked on via Audio menu..
>- Can't do per-application audio from the system menu reeeeeeeee
>- Single click to open in Files with no option to change it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (is this GNOME shit?)

A lot of this is just pedantic. Except the previewing multiple windows stuff which annoyed the hell out of me. I hate that on OSX too whenever I work on it.
>>
>>57029743
>Gnome is chopsticks and uses a food analogy
>all the other knives are clearly not meant for food

is the author implying he cuts his steaks with switchknives?
>>
>>57031973
Hmm, I fooled around with Pantheon for like a half an hour and remember it to be a pretty positive experience.
And also, it's not gnome derivative. It's written from scratch.
Oh, and if you like things to just werk™ out of the box, I again recommend deepin for that.
>>
File: 1476142732942.png (287KB, 2732x768px) Image search: [Google]
1476142732942.png
287KB, 2732x768px
I think Unity is the best.
>HUD
>godlike screen real estate.
>looks great once customized
>really good default keyboard shortcuts.
>scroll through program instances in the launcher
>near full size preview of multiple instances if you click the program icon.
>>
>>57032124
>Comparing with Gnome

You do realize you can use a DE that isn't shit, like Plasma or XFCE, and hide the elements you're not using so it doesn't take up space horizontally or vertically?
>>
Oh wow, I use xfce AND have the exact knife laying around right besides me
>>
>>57032203
>XFCE
abandonware
>Plasma
Constant crashes.
>>
>>57029840
Yeah you can man. You can resize any window and drag floating windows around like any other env.
>>
>>57029956
You can resized tiled windows with a mouse if you really want to as well.
>>
>>57032531
>Constant crashes
So it's bad because PEBKAC, got it
>>
>>57031973
i am on pantheon now:
>topbar supergay
>nah, notifs cool
>i can preview them easily (alt+W or alt+downarrow)
>idk why you would want this, but yeah, its troo
>idk, sounds bad
>y, it sux
>easily changed, you just uncheck the box somewhere in tha settings
I ussually get problems when i try to do something programmy as it has quite a lot of stuff not installed (NO APT-ADD-REPO WTF). "native" programs often crash though, prob gtk fault, as similar happens in gnoom.
>>
>>57029743
>dwm
>exacto blade
>no handle, you have to code that yourself
>>
>>57029743
pic saved
>>
>>57031771
>Icewm
hot damn, looks just like what I need
>>
xmonad. i can be smug about using haskell and smug about using a tiling window manager at the same time.
>>
>>57029743
XFCE with i3 WM
>>
Lets be serious guys, everyone looks something different for themselves so there is little point to recommend wm just by name.

I currently run Ratpoison, like the name says is a strictly tiling wm that avoids the use of the mouse and has emacs-like keybinds. I like how every window is set to fullscreen by default, although you can have a script to open the programs you want, and resize them and put them in order.

Speaking of scripting, this is the most easy scripting environment I found.

It doesn't look good on screenshots but does the job well.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.