[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General ebook discussion thread. Get in here bookworms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9

File: $_32.jpg (83KB, 849x566px) Image search: [Google]
$_32.jpg
83KB, 849x566px
General ebook discussion thread. Get in here bookworms
>>
>>57029465
Just picked up a Kindle Paperwhite for $40 on CL. How'd I do /g/?
>>
>>57029465
I've been dying to get an eink reader, i just cant decide which one. Any suggestions?
>>
Any new devices? that can handle graphics just as good as text, but wont make my eyes bleed in a hour?
>>
I've had 3 kindles now, currently on the Voyage and its easily my favorite. High res screen, comfy design with both touchscreen and feedback buttons on the side.

Most important though, the screen and bezel are flush, one solid pain of glass. This way dust and shit doesn't get stuck between the screen and bezel. I have two cats that constantly are around me when I'm reading in bed or such and hair would get stuck at the side of the screen on older models. This one is much easier to keep nice and clean.

The standing cases are very nice too (albeit I have a 3rd party one, fuck those official prices). You can basically let it sit itself up while you read while eating or such. Very handy.
>>
>>57029523

Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite seem to be the staples for ereaders.

They're both on sale right now for $30-$50 the normal price if you have Prime. In terms of normal kindle/paperwhite it depends on what your needs are. I chose the Paperwhite over the standard as I want to be able to read both outdoors during the day as well as at night before bed or perhaps on a plane/car ride. Honestly for the price right now theres no comparison.

If you don't need one brand new and want to save some cash check ebay. They're on there all the time because people buy them thinking they'll read more but end up not using it.
>>
what are your favorite fonts?

bonus 4chan coins if links are included
>>
I got a ton of pdf ... whats good for me.. please dont sat convert them to another format for x product.
>>
As much as I love all tech gadgets I vastly prefer reading actual books over e-books. There's something about the smell of paper and turning pages.
>>
I keep my calibre library backed up to dropbox. I'd post the link, but doesn't dropbox detect when multiple IPs download stuff from you and it checks for copyright infringement?
>>
>>57029523

you should get one with high DPI, so the Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo HD

I have the Kobo and recommend it over Kindle for a huge variety of reasons, but Kindle isn't bad. Just requires more maintenance to be hassle free.
>>
>>57029711
fuck it, here it is

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oifhxpg56klcqje/AAD8vEX1_Gd2qaLJYtbnzJcJa?dl=0

I have good taste, you can thank me later
>>
>>57029664
Kindle can read PDF naively I believe
>>
Hobo Glo HD here.

Get it, Hobo? Because it's cheaper than Kindle, it must be shit, right?

Nah, all of these readers are the exact same stuff. They only differ in resolution, features and the color of the backlight, I guess. Haven't found a feature I miss on this one, the dot pitch can't really be any better and guess what? The backlight provides light.

The only thing this one lacks (and I believe all of them do) is telling you which page you are according to the reader. It reads the "page" value from the file which defines it according to god knows what. This really lights up my OCD and I sometimes think I skipped a page.
>>
>>57029865
Yup.
>>
Thinking about getting an e-reader but mostly for manga. How well does that work on kindle paperwhite?
>>
>>57030093
It works. How well is up to your standards. To me, it does not work well and a tablet, literally any tablet is much much better.

If I have to convert files or jump through hoops more than drag and drop just to get things to display on a device I get really pissy about it and kindles require that shit for manga.

The paperwhite is great for books and if you actually use the kindle store (instead of lel pirating everything, which you still can do) works wonders.

For manga, any tablet. Preferably one with a 8"+ screen though.

Has anyone tried the Kindle Oasis? I was interested in it but it's too expensive for me to justify on just an ebook device.
>>
Kindle + Bibliotik masterrace here

>>57029794
>https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oifhxpg56klcqje/AAD8vEX1_Gd2qaLJYtbnzJcJa?dl=0
>I have good taste
>Frank Herbert
>Gene Wolfe
>Glen Cook
>God
>H. P. Lovecraft
>Haruki Murakami

anon...
>>
e-readers are memes and belong in /trash/
>>
>>57030315
Literally shit everyone has read cry more faggot.
>>
>>57030093
Yeah I would buy a used Nexus 7 for manga. A color screen would be far superior to eink
>>
>>57029474
Bad considering the new ones are on sale for $90 now.
>>
>>57030413
How is that bad? If it's in anywhere close to good shape they got a great deal?
>>
>>57030352
So do (you)
>>
>>57029474
>kindle
>no epub
Why would anyone go for this device?
>>
Anyone know a site for epubs torrents. Like scihub, bur for normal books?
>>
>>57030451
Because of Calibre, one-click convert epub-to-mobi
>>
>>57030477
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/
>>
>>57029865
It *can* read PDF (sort of), it doesn't mean you should do it.
>>
>>57030529
Is there a major formatting difference between epub and pdf that I'm not aware of?
>>
>>57030427
Probably an older model and a battery that has seen better days.
>>
>>57030726
Epub is basically html for books, while pdf started off as a way to scan paper documents. Totally different.
>>
>>57030726
yes

epub is text, pdf is an image
>>
>>57030726
epub is basically text, pdf is kinda like pictures, and most ebook readers are shit at displaying things that aren't ebooks.

there are pdf to epub converters (epububator i think it's called for android for example) which could then be probably be turned into a mobi?

why wouldn't it be be better (or is it) to buy... say... a 2013 nexus 7 and use that? that's what I'm thinking of doing for
>>
>>57029523
I've got a kobo aura h2o, but if they made the base model waterproof I totally would've bought it instead. a backlight is totally unnecessary desu
>>
File: Selection_570.png (10KB, 382x90px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_570.png
10KB, 382x90px
>>57030380
>>
>>57030848
To each his own. I cant read my brothers ereader as it's not backlit. Too much eye strain
>>
I want to buy an ereader to read different scientific articles for college to keep me up to date in my field work. Wheres the best place to find such articles? Google Scholar?
>>
File: 6f8.png (247KB, 760x572px) Image search: [Google]
6f8.png
247KB, 760x572px
I'd really love one of these with a better graphics processor but still uses E ink. I really truthfully would like one over my nexus 7, but they can't do pdf well. So my textbooks and animu wouldn't really work for it. Which is kind of a bummer. Idk if converting them would be of any use though b
>>
>>57031221
>read different scientific articles

webofscience
sciencedirect
jstor
publisher sites like elsevier, wiley etc.
Scholar is okay too

But unless your uni subscribes to a litany of journals you are going to have to use scihub to actually access them.

And don't buy an ereader for journals, they are all in pdf and you will need a tablet for them especially if they are color.
>>
>>57030726
If you have a larger ereader you might get away with most PDFs okay. Mine is a smaller Kindle Paperwhite, and while the image rendering isn't *bad* per se it's more or less unreadable because it's both faint and too small.
>>
I have a Kobo Aura HD and I love it.

I doubt I'll ever need to upgrade it unless I break it or something either. Gets the job done perfectly for me.

>>57029677
I used to feel that way until I realized I was reading in bed all the time. It's way more comfortable to move my thumb to change the page while holding it in one hand than to try and do anything similar with a real book.

Plus I don't have to shelve dozens of books somewhere in my house.
>>
>>57030529
Which Kindle is best for reading pdfs?
>>
>>57031805
Kindle Fire. (AKA any tablet)

Ereaders are great, but as people have said they sometimes have trouble scaling PDF's
>>
>>57031805
Buy a cheap android tablet for that.
>>
File: dusty.jpg (110KB, 394x600px) Image search: [Google]
dusty.jpg
110KB, 394x600px
>>57029465
>>>/lit/ might be better.
Also, EPUB is the only acceptable format.
>>
>>57031831
yeah thats allright, it can only improve really
>>57031844
I have one, but would rather have something with weeks of a battery life and have shitty components
>>
>>57030726
PDF is a printing format only (despite adobe being cancerous faggots and putting forms, 4 programming languages and 3d models into it) which means that even if your PDF files aren't simply images the positions are absolute and the viewer can't reflow, as this is the case with HTML and therefore epub.
Epub and other ebook formats on the other hand are their own kind of cancer for various reasons.
>>
>>57030505
What is this new meme?
>>
>>57032231
Are you fucking retarded? Did you even look at it?

>>57030477
Use #bookz, it's much easier and faster than torrents once you learn how to use it.
>>
>>57029465
Is it just the e-ink stuff that people like over buying a tablet?

I have a Nook Simple Touch from years ago, but still think a tablet would be better, especially with a bigger screen for pdfs.
>>
File: Robotnik.jpg (17KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Robotnik.jpg
17KB, 512x384px
on book 10 of The Wheel Of Time (on my Aura HD)

holy heck, will this ride ever end?
>>
>>57032457
Yep. For me at least.
I have a Kindle (old "normal" one like 4th or 5th gen?) which I adore for reading novels, the e-ink is so nice to look at.

However, for technical documents, journals, programming books etc which are 99% PDF verging on A4 (or in color), my 11" tablet is a FAR superior option imo, way nicer reading experience for those types of books.
>>
>>57032403
Yah. What is it.
>>
>>57032679
I feel that way about Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I got the collection off amazon, all 10 books in one ebook format for like $70.

Estimated time to completion was like 300 hours and I swear I am over 100 hours in and I've only finished 3 books and about 20% of it.
>>
>>57032842
which tablet?
>>
>>57033017
If you can't be bothered to even look something up before shitposting, it really makes you look bad.
>>
>>57029465
Currently using an old tablet for reading books. Is it worth it getting an ereader?
>>
>>57030917
Good post.
>>
>>57033410
for epubs, nothing is better than an ereader.

for pdfs and comics, stick with tablet.
>>
>
>>57033410
The benefits are great battery life, and since it uses that E ink Bullshit, it doesn't strain your eyes. Even with a backlight it is still gentle. Unfortunately it can ONLY do text rendering well, so if you wanna read a bunch of PDFs you'll be left with a mediocre experience.
>>
>>57029664
For PDFs honestly you're best with a tablet, unless you want to drop the $800 or whatever for the Sony DPTS1, which would be totally awesome save for the price (dear god I would have loved that in grad school, reading so many fucking papers). You can also take nots and shit with it, meant to replace paper in offices/medical shit/academia/etc.
>>
>>57033219
Lenovo MIIX-300. It's a WIndows 10 tablet, definitely not necessary for ebooks but it can be handy sometimes to have reliable software and not "apps" when I'm on the go.
>>
>>57033518

The low resolution kills it IMO. You want a sharp screen for reading stuff. I have an 8" 1280x800 Win10 tablet I bought for 40€ - not pretty but I can't complain at that price.
You can get Chinese tablets with 1200p for substantially less than the Miix 300 retails for.
>>
>>57029664
Same problem, I'm looking into the kobo aura one + koreader, does anyone here have it?
>>
>>57029677
I feel you man, but at some point I realized I'm just holding on to way too much stuff just because of a smell, if it's that important just keep your smelliest book, and strap it to your nose every time you grab your ereader.
>>
Iva always wanted one
>>
Tablets are the best ebook readers. Especially tablets with high DPI and 4:3 aspect ratio, like the iPad.

E-ink readers don't do anything but text well, and it's just not worth wrangling an extra single-purpose device just to read novels. E-ink displays might be easier on the eyes, but tablets have a superset of the functionality. They're comparable in size, but they read novels, PDFs, and comics, and they also browse the internet (well), play music, take pictures, etc.
>>
>>57037177
E-ink displays have 20x the battery life of a tablet.
>>
>>57037190

Meh. My slab of granite lasts thousands of times as long as your e-ink reader. Can't do shit with it, but it sure does last forever!
>>
What's the best program for Android?

I really like UB Reader but it doesn't seem to play all formats.
>>
>>57037177
Your eyes are fucked. Also, you get shit battery life on tablet compared to e ink
>>
Fucking amazon shills and poorfags.
Kobo Aura One master race reporting in.
>>
File: 1466475255710.jpg (274KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466475255710.jpg
274KB, 960x720px
What's a good e-reader that can have pdfs uploaded to the library.
>>
>>57037616
Whats so good about it? From their main page the only thing special I really see is the orange backlight which would be kind of cool, but not really necessary.

Also I already have a ton of amazon books and keep up with their sales using ereaderiq so swapping seems unecessary.
>>
File: sony_e_ink_watch.jpg (87KB, 860x483px) Image search: [Google]
sony_e_ink_watch.jpg
87KB, 860x483px
>>57029465

Hey /g/,

I recently "upgrade" from my PRS-T2 to a Kindle Paperwhite.

Upgraded is in quotes, because besides having nicer cross platform integration, the device is worse in every way possible. Until the recent OS update a few months it was almost unusable.

Since Sony is out of the e-reader game (even though they are still making all kinds of weird e-ink shit like remote controls and watches) who makes the best e-reader hardware?

Looking for something with a metal body, fast response time, and good sorting/organization of books.

I assume Kobo is the best here, right?
>>
>>57037839
>Also I already have a ton of amazon books

Easy to strip DRM. You should already be making a backup of your Amazon books anyway because Amazon has shown they are not afraid to take them away from you.
>>
File: calibre.png (724KB, 1158x307px) Image search: [Google]
calibre.png
724KB, 1158x307px
my new batch. how'd I do?
what first bros?
>>
File: 1468126350404.jpg (59KB, 600x905px) Image search: [Google]
1468126350404.jpg
59KB, 600x905px
>>57029465

Kindle paper white is the best. Just download epubs and convert them to AZW3. I hated how mobi files would never show up in my books section.
>>
>>57037899

I just finished way of kings a few hours ago and I fucking loved it. Dalinar reminded me a lot of Ned starks character.
>>
Found this recently, anyone have this pdf or where to get it without pushing out $250?
http://www.makershed.com/products/make-complete-ebook-collection-pdfs
>>
>>57037899
You should read Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
>>
>>57038261
I actually have it and heard many good things.
some say it's scifi, some say not. which one is it before I dive that deep?
>>
To all the people wondering which e-reader to get, get the aura one if you have the money. It's undeniably the best e-reader on the market.
>>
>>57037861
>I assume Kobo is the best
Probably. The Aura One is pretty damn impressive (waterproof, 8in screen, night reading mode, ect.) but the dealbreaker for me was the fact that it doesn't have a slot for a removable micro SD card.
Sure, it has 8GB of storage built-in, but if you're like me, someone who owns mostly pdfs (and a lot of them) you'll probably need a lot more than that. I've currently got about 18GB of books and papers on my computer and a long list of others which I have yet to acquire.
What I plan on doing is just waiting for the color e-ink screen to get adopted by a few companies and then after that, maybe even waiting a few years for them to really get it down well. My dream device is something along the lines of a Microsoft Surface with a colorized e-ink display and digitizer pen. In the meantime, I've got my Spanish eReader Pro+ by Energy Sistem. Works well, just not with pdfs and the lowest brightness setting is still way too bright for reading in the dark.
Hopefully I'll have finally completed the "essentials" of my personal eLibrary by the time such a device finally arrives.
>>
>>57038242
>where to get it without pushing out $250?
If you can't find it anywhere else maybe you could find a relevant board on reddit and suggest a group-buy type thing?
>>
>>57038407
I'm just trying to find where I can get any books by Make. They seem interesting to read and I might find something I like to do.
>>
>>57038439
they show up in humblebundle from time to time
>>
>>57033162
I got the same collection off of library genesis for nothing because I'm not retarded
>>
>>57031029
it's funny, for me it's the backlight that hurts my eyes. they're really photosensitive, not sure why
>>
>>57029465
Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen. October 2014.

Favorite books: Techno-thrillers.
Notable authors in the genre: Steven Konkoly, Michael C. Grumley, A.G. Riddle
>>
>>57038378

I was seriously considering the 13inch sony e-reader.

The lack of color does not bother me, and I could get it pretty cheap from my University.

My only worry was how fragile it was. When I used one IRL it was so thin I worried about breaking it.
>>
>>57029647
I like Bookerly and Futura
>>
Kobo is free as in freedom from Amazon.

Also any resource for free as in piracy eBooks in other languages than English?
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.