[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain P=NP to me?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Can someone explain P=NP to me?
>>
P=NP for all P if N = 1

t. mathematician
>>
>>57028331
Or for all N if P=0
>>
>>57028331
P=NP for all N if P = 0
>>
It's about time complexity, how long an algorithm takes to run in general given sufficiently large inputs.
There's like O(logn), O(n), O(n^2), O(2^n).
So, if an algorithm runs in O(n) time, in general the size of the input scales linearly with the time it takes to run. O(n^2) P olynomial time, time taken scales polynomially based on input size, NP = Nondeterministically Polynomial time. Basically a nondeterministic turing machine can perform the algorithm in polynomial time.
But ignore that shit, it's basically the set of problems that take exponential time to compute, you can see that these aren't feasible solutions really, as the time taken grows exponentially with larger input sizes, and takes fucking forever.
Nobody has proven theoretically whether these class of NP problems, have or don't have solutions that run in polynomial time.
>>
>>57028412
Are there O(n^n) algorithms that can't be done faster?
>>
>>57028275
>Penis = No Penis
It's one of the many things degenerates here say
>>
>>57028275
P=NP is utopist and utter non-sense
>muh let's make a god algo which can answer everything
>>
there are some interesting results that suggest the p=np question can't be solved by conventional means. i'd look into it further, but the fact that so many smarter people have tried and failed to solve the problem is discouraging
>>
File: really good mood.jpg (41KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
really good mood.jpg
41KB, 500x667px
>>57028500
This desu
>>
>>57028443
Reminder that these actually sets we're talking about, I'm guessing you know some basic set theory.
So we say a problem belongs to the set of P, if there exists a solution to it that runs in polynomial time.
For all the other sets there exist formal proofs showing their relationships with other sets, like DTIME (problems with solutions that run in O(n) time) is a subset of P, but we just don't know the relationship between P and NP.

Although I'm rusty on this shit, I was too busy drinking myself to death during that year,
>>
>>57028500

under most reasonable conditions, this is probably true
>>
>>57028649
You can't prove all the time that a polynomial algorithm exists.
The easiest example is travelling salesman problem.
The current best solution to this class of problems is to develop more powerful machines which can compute
exponantial algorithms in polynomial time.
We're approaching the limit of the standard computing theories set by Church and Turing.

Take a look at Grover's algorithm, the gain with that kind of algorithms is insane, for now we can't find similar algorithms with "standard" computing.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.