[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/ I just disassembled an old hard disk for fridge magnets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: hard-drive-magnet.jpg (5KB, 172x93px) Image search: [Google]
hard-drive-magnet.jpg
5KB, 172x93px
Hi /g/

I just disassembled an old hard disk for fridge magnets and coasters (only one because it was really old).

I now need to get the magnet off the backing plate and it really doesn't want to move. How do you do it?
>>
>>57026180
Screwdriver or bench vice, I always break them it seems.
>>
>>57026205
>Screwdriver or bench vice, I always break them it seems.
I broke the last one of these I tried. I'd like to avoid that this time.
>>
I did it... 4 tries, 4 broken mangmets :DDDD
>>
>>57026180
use your credit card OP.
>>
>>57026451
>use your credit card OP.
t-thanks anon
>>
You don't
They're welded on or some shit
>>
>>57026527
>They're welded on or some shit
Glued I believe.
>>
>>57026538
Makes more sense that they're welded considered how they're positioned in a hard drive.
>>
>>57026597
High heat unaligns magnetic domains. Welding would trash the magnets
>>
>>57026636
>High heat unaligns magnetic domains. Welding would trash the magnets
This.

Which is also why you shouldn't just boil it to soften the glue.
>>
File: 1469879870170.jpg (325KB, 2745x2057px) Image search: [Google]
1469879870170.jpg
325KB, 2745x2057px
>>57026451
>>
>>57026180
I put a screwdriver between them and hit it with a hammer a few times. My one was glued so you could try with a heatgun and some slim metal peace, as well
>>
>>57027171
>I put a screwdriver between them and hit it with a hammer a few times
That's probably worth a shot, if I can avoid shattering the magnet.
>>
>>57026180
If it's glued on, acetone based nail polish remover might work
>>
>>57026888
Welding is one thing but boiling water is not even close to the curie temperature. I wouldn't do it in a steel pot though for obvious reasons.
>>
>>57027623
>Welding is one thing but boiling water is not even close to the curie temperature. I wouldn't do it in a steel pot though for obvious reasons.
Fair enough. I can just soak it in a mug with boiling water for a bit I guess.
>>
>>57027727
>Fair enough. I can just soak it in a mug with boiling water for a bit I guess.
>>57027171
>I put a screwdriver between them and hit it with a hammer a few times
>>57026390
>Screwdriver or bench vice
A combination of all of these worked.

I soaked it in a mug of boilling water for ten minutes, then put it in a little vice and tapped at it with the smallest screwdriver I could find. It moved after a bit.

I used the HD body as the hammer, which adds insult to injury I guess.
>>
You guys are wimps I only used my hand to pull it out. That shit can pinch your skin and hurt hella though, be careful anon. The magnet is fun for throwing once at a metal surface to see it break and see all the magnetic dust clump. Also useful to hold loose screws together and being a fucking magnet.
>>
>>57029122
>Also useful to hold loose screws together and being a fucking magnet
Ignoring the rest of your nonsense, that's more or less what I plan to do with it. Put it on the bottom of a thin metal bowl and use it to hold screws while I'm working on things.
>>
>>57026180
Just leave it
>>
>>57029449
>Just leave it
I kept the backing plate so I can just leave it on if I want, it sticks magnetically very well, but it's more versatile this way if I want to do something else with it.
>>
>>57027454
This. Soak it in acetone for a day or two. The glue will be weakened considerably after that.
>>
>>57026451
no no no no no
a single card isnt strong enough, you need to stack them all together and use them all at the same time
>>
none of you suggested bending the backplate?
bend the backplate, then screwdriver once the bending separates the backplate
>>
>>57030843
>none of you suggested bending the backplate?
OP here, that's how I broke the first one of these I tried to separate. The glue is pretty strong and the magnet is much, much weaker than the backplate.
>>
If heat ruins the magnets you could try submerging it in alcohol over night to loosen the glue.
>>
>tfw just keep the backing plate on, wrapped the whole thing in masking tape, and use them as refrigerator magnets
>>
>>57026180
been meaning to salvage some magnets, got two old suns with 20 HDDs each lol, might as well do something with them.
>>
>>57031197
Alcohol won't work. It must be acetone.
>>
I am also interested in this OP, I have a dying 1TB HDD that I might as well do this with.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.