[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legitimate question. What can you do on Android that you can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 230
Thread images: 24

File: 1453724056126.jpg (103KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1453724056126.jpg
103KB, 612x612px
Legitimate question.

What can you do on Android that you can't do on iPhone and why is it necessary?

Here's a pic of someone holding an iPhone because that's what we're discussing.
>>
Literally nothing.
>>
File: 1437446786825.jpg (169KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1437446786825.jpg
169KB, 720x1280px
>>57025537
Also here's someone holding a Samsung.

>>57025553
That's what I was thinking.
Especially if you jailbreak.
>>
android can do more

what do you do when you find black women attractive, but do not find the personality and common cultural mores they have desireable
>>
>>57025537
telnet to a server to see if it is up
>>
File: tumblr_nyc46b3Gr41tn1qszo1_500.jpg (134KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyc46b3Gr41tn1qszo1_500.jpg
134KB, 500x667px
>>57025566
>Android can do more
You're being very vague there mate.

Here's another person using an iPhone since its related to this thread.
>>
>>57025566
try and find a black women that prescribes to your ideal culture and has an attractive personality?
>>
>>57025537
Remove your battery
Expand your storage with micro sd cards without paying $100 per 8GB of space
Easier to write software for android, for apple you need to write it on a mac or vm
>>
>>57025585
I'm not going to give out an explanation, there is no reason to

If you've been here long enough you'll know its true

in terms of functionality, android is 10x better than iphone
apple just has good aesthetics and marketing. people like easy, so they enjoy the walled garden more.

they don't know what to do when they are give control
>>
Quickly make an app in Java or something, send it to phone, install it and get the job done.

File browser

Attach TV, keyboard, mouse and develop/troubleshoot almost anywhere when the need arises
>>
>>57025537
Use an older version of an app via apk install
Good example:

CloudMagic (now NewtonMail or something with yearly subscription)
>>
Start a fire.
>>
>>57025609
>educate yourself shitlord
>>
>>57025609
(you)

>>57025594
>remove your battery
That's good for if you want a custom made bigger battery, but for those worried about the battery wearing down, usually you'll have upgraded before that's an issue.

>expand your storage
Lots of Android phones are dropping micro SD support unfortunately. Samsung note 5 for example.

>easier to write software for
>need mac or vm
Is this real? That must be annoying.

>>57025616
>file browser
It has one if you jailbreak.

>attach tv, keyboard, mouse
You're being serious, aren't you? That's not an issue on iPhone.

>quickly make an app in java
It's a niche but I'll give you this one.
>>
>>57025609
>android is 10x better than iphone
... at propping up a wobbly table or for a baby t o teeth on. Apart from that it has no practical use except to rebellious, impoverished children who have to make do with whatever cheap crap their parents give them on graduation.
>>
is posting nigs to try to upset autists a new /g/ meme? :^^^^^^|
>>
Android has native ability to create a WiFi hotspot and you can do it without an added service onto your phone plan.
>>
>>57025718
Same as iphone then.
>>
File: apple-iphone-7-headphone-jack.jpg (69KB, 1125x765px) Image search: [Google]
apple-iphone-7-headphone-jack.jpg
69KB, 1125x765px
>>57025537
>>
File: IMG_0504.png (123KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0504.png
123KB, 750x1334px
>>57025733
Not on mine.
>>
Literally install Gentoo
>>
She got burned pretty bad desu senpai
>>
>>57025763
>American carrier
Oh. That's not a problem here in aus.
>>
>>57025777
Wot? For real?
>>
>>57025566
>android can do more
yeah like explode
>>
>>57025788
Yeah. Our carriers don't lock shit down as hard as American ones, but sometimes it's a pain removing a simlock to switch networks.
>>
Since Android users can't really say and explain why Android might be considered better than iOS, I'll list a few things.

>Easier customization
Android can be modded without security exploits and is often just an app download away as opposed to iOS where you have to jailbreak to even use icon packs. To this end, you can also install different operating systems if you so choose but that's drifting away from Android.

>Alternative app stores
Like in the last point, iOS needs to be jailbroken. Android can easily get Amazon or for the freetards, F-Droid for their apps. Clearly useful if you aren't a big fan of Google.

>The ability to change default apps
iOS locks you into Safari when you click a link in the mail where as in Android you can use something like Chrome or you use Firefox and have it as the default.

>Bluetooth file transfers
iOS uses AirDrop which is a combo of wifi direct and bluetooth between Macs and iOS devices. Nice feature but Android can do bluetooth file transfers to Macs, Windows, and Linux as well as other Android, JavaME, and Windows Phones too. But with things like email and SMS being an option especially on phones, that's kinda moot.
>>
>>57025655
>That's good for if you want a custom made bigger battery, but for those worried about the battery wearing down, usually you'll have upgraded before that's an issue.
But when you have a phone that doesn't slow down over it's life due to software updates battery wear becomes an issue.

Oh.
>>
>>57025537
>What can you do on Android that you can't do on iPhone
Download files larger than 100MB on LTE.

>and why is it necessary?
Because almost everything is over 100MB these days and I have multiple GB of traffic a month so 100MB file limits makes no sense.
>>
>>57025859
>but Android can do bluetooth file transfers to Macs
Can they? Last time I tried it wouldn't work.
>>
File: 1471775200070.jpg (1MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1471775200070.jpg
1MB, 3000x2000px
>>57025859
Thanks for being one of the few serious posters in this thread and giving a real answer.
>>
>>57025902
Well, I don't have a Mac, so I'm sadly assuming that macOS's bluetooth works just as well as Windows or Linux.

>>57025904
It's no problem, we need less fanboys on this board, to be frank with you.
>>
>>57025566
Find one with the personality traits you like

Believe it or not, not every black person is a Ben Garrison cartoon brought to life.
>>
>>57025537
>Muh dik
>>
>>57025537
Download files from the internet.
>>
Jailbreaking is stupid if you want the newest iPhone, it takes forever to come out
>>
>>57025921
>we need less fanboys
This. So much this.

It kills any potential rational discussions
>>
>>57025788
i'm an american and i thought it was common knowledge that our carriers were fucking us. have you never thought to look up how it works elsewhere?
>>
>>57025582
>using telnet
>2016
+ you can do that on iOS as well
>>
>>57025621
You can do that on jailbroken iOS as well
>>
>>57025616
Dude, activities and parcels suck fucking monster cocks. Android API is fucking dog shit. Literally half the design decisions with the API can be done on iOS without nearly as much drama. You can serialise data and send it to another app on iOS, Java jerks up parcels because the OS manages activity lifecycles. iOS could do this, but hey, nah, we can pass actual objects without implementing different interfaces for each shit type. Not to mention, rotate a device, refill all the data, fuck that. Android and Java suck cocks. Garbage collection on mobile devices was dumb as fuck and designed for lazy idiots, hence why native iOS is superior.
>>
>>57026045
You should compare jailbroken iOS to a rooted Android, not compare a jailbroken iOS to stock Android.
>>
>>57026069
That's not what op asked though
>>
File: polite conversation.png (311KB, 2072x1984px) Image search: [Google]
polite conversation.png
311KB, 2072x1984px
>>57025655
>having to jailbreak just to use a file browser
>having a good chance of voiding your warranty

No, thanks.

>>57025537
Customization. You can completely replace your entire launcher and lock screen, and thus most of the UI on your phone.

Not locked down to the App Store. You can install custom apks easily. I'm uncertain if you can install applications on an iPhone without approval from Apple.

Free WiFi hotspot.

Replaceable batteries and SD cards.

MDM tools for enterprise that aren't complete shit.

Development market share. Android has a larger audience, so it makes more since for developers to first focus on their Android customers, depending on if they're focusing on quantity of users.

Last, but certainly not least:
3.5mm headphone jack.
>>
>>57026103
I shouldn't have to jump through hoops and risk voiding warranty and bricking my device just because I want to connect my phone to my fileserver using NFS.
>>
>>57026131
>since
HA, A TYPO

Fuck you, it's early in the morning and mistakes happen.
>>
>>57026131
A little off-topic, but could you recommend a lock screen? I remember changing lock screens being a hassle a few years ago, and most apps didn't properly change it making everything kind of buggy.
No root.
>>
>>57026161
I will completely unironically recommend the lock screen developed by some side-project team at Microsoft:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.next&hl=en

It's comfy as hell.
>>
>>57026131
>You can install custom apks easily. I'm uncertain if you can install applications on an iPhone without approval from Apple.

You can actually sideload apps on iOS. Sadly, it sounds like you need a Mac. The second link doesn't need a Mac for sideloading apps though.

http://osxdaily.com/2016/01/12/howto-sideload-apps-iphone-ipad-xcode/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mVheGMDAU

>Replaceable batteries and SD cards.
Those are features of devices themselves, not the OS.

>Development market share. Android has a larger audience, so it makes more since for developers to first focus on their Android customers, depending on if they're focusing on quantity of users.

I hear that Android users don't pay money for apps like iOS users do, though.
>>
>>57026210
Android apps are lower quality though.
For example, the snapchat app on Android takes a screenshot of the screen instead of taking a photo with the camera like on ios.
>>
>>57026210
>Those are features of devices themselves, not the OS.
When you typed this, did you really think this comment is reasonable?

In this particular case, the OS is inextricably tied to the hardware.

This really shouldn't need to be explained.

>I hear that Android users don't pay money for apps like iOS users do, though.
Absolutely true, but this is primarily pertaining to customer of cross-platform services that expect availability. Think about services like Netflix, where there is potentially a greater proportion of paying users in comparison to the total population of iPhone users, but in sheer numbers, they have more users that use Android away from their desk and TV.
>>
>>57026184
Thanks for the rec.

Seems okay, but I'm not liking how to unlock. Seems it's limited to dragging down to unlock only, while I prefer one where you can just swipe any direction.
>>
>>57026267
>In this particular case, the OS is inextricably tied to the hardware.

Not really. Especially with the point on the battery, when you have Android OEMs that are increasingly making it harder (but not impossible) to replace the battery. Also, I knew some people who where handy enough with phones to replace iPhone batteries.

With the SD card, again, more Android OEMs are cutting that out with cloud storage being a big thing. Not to mention, you can expand your iPhone's storage using the Lighting connector using things like this;

https://9to5mac.com/2015/03/20/the-best-iphoneipad-usb-flash-drives-with-lightning-connectors/

It's clunky but not any different from people who really wanted USB OTG flashdrives for their Android tablets and phones.
>>
>>57025594
Fucking swift 3.0 is the worst.
>>
>>57026336
Expanded Internal Memory
vs.
A fucking tumor sticking out of their phone.

You're really grasping at straws at this point, and you've conveniently ignored the other points made.

I'll make this very simple for you:

There are new Android devices that allow you to expand the memory with an internal SD card.

There are new Android devices that allow you to replace the battery quickly and easily, without voiding your warranty or requiring you to do out-of-the-ordinary dismantling of your phone.

Furthermore, all of the other things I mentioned above do NOT require jailbreak, and thus the potential to void your warranty. (Not to mention that jailbreak isn't available immediately on release for an iPhone anyway.)
>>
Didn't read whole thread but fuck iPhone. They should have stopped after iOS 5

>No customization options except wallpaper (flip phones have more personalization)
>Bought by normies, used by normies, because they're "easy to use"
>iTunes
>Company does stupid shit about removing headphone jacks for free publicity
>Up until recently you couldnt have things like word suggestions on your keyboard
>Every fucking thing they do is ideas they stole from Android
>Except head jack tomfoolery
>iTunes
>Overpriced, expensive as shit
>No expandable memory
>
>
>
>Go fuck yourself
>>
>>57025788
Not a problem in Denmark either senpai
>>
File: 1345933496487.jpg (129KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
1345933496487.jpg
129KB, 750x563px
>tfw my sister was given her first phone when entering middle school
>she insisted "I don't want an iPhone, all of my friends have them and I don't like them"
>get her an Android
>literally 6 months into the school year
>"Anon, your sister hates her phone now and wants one so she can be like all her friends. Go buy her that iPhone 6 that just came out."
>my blood is boiling with the rage of a thousand suns
>pokerface.png
>do as I'm asked
>end of school year, ask sister how her iPhone has been
>"eh, it's alright but I can't do a lot of the things I could with my last phone, and the one app I wanted it for is boring now"
>>
>>57026542
Should have bought her an iPhone 5s on special instead
>>
Android can download any file type natively in the browser

Very convenient for work
>>
>>57026570
iPhone can't do this?
>>
>>57025655
>>quickly make an app in java
>It's a niche but I'll give you this one.
iPhone apps are generally (if not always) written either in Oblective-C (let's and let's common) or in Swift, two languages that run only under OS X and macOS, whereas Java (more common language) runs everywhere, allowing developers to create Android apps from Mac, Windows and Linux (maybe even Android itself, I'm not sure).
BUT you have way less devices to test your app on with iOS than with Android, so debugging is generally easier for iDevices.
>>
>>57025671
>>57025655
>>57025585
i can't believe i'm actually getting trolled on here?

android is better than iphone, are you guys fucking retarded?
its just that your average phone user will want an iphone, its easy and doesn't require any effort - thats a good thing. thats clever user interaction, and good marketing, as it looks nice and has a certain mental association when you think "iphone"

however, in regards to functionality apple can't do shit compared to an android. that isn't an opinion.
>>
Use it as a flash drive.
>>
>>57026603
>>57025609
>>57025566
You present a great argument backed by facts and evidence leaving no room for doubt. I'm going to trust you completely because you said so.
>>
>>57025788
No problem here in France, plus it's easy as fuck to choose which network to use (like avoiding 4G for the poorfags who only have a couple of Gigabytes of data per month)
>>
Safari can't play webms, and you can't set a default web browser, so any time you'd like to view a webm you need to manually open a browser that isn't shit and paste the link into it.
>>
>>57026603
I can't believe you're getting trolled either
>>
>>57025537
Just to name a few:
File manager
Syncthing
Decent XMPP client
>>
>>57026631
now i know you're a troll, not because you disagree with me, but its because if you've been on this board for any length of time you would have lurked long enough to know why

Can I put music on an iphone without going through itunes?
Can I browse its files?
Can I customize the UI?
Can I install a custom ROM, totally changing the experience?
Can I put in a MicroSD, which has been the standard for years?
Can I change the battery when its been a year or two and its starting to hold less charge?
Can I insert a headphone into it?
Is it affordable?

keep denying reality

again, there is nothing wrong with liking an iPhone. Your average consumer does not want all of that shit anyways. That doesn't make them "dumb" or anything, its just typical. You just want your shit to work.

Guess what faggot? Your average consumer isn't on 4chan, nor does he want to control his phone, and he sure as shit doesn't take an interest in things like security and Linux

fuck off now
>>
>>57026647
>>57026673
>>57026131
>>57025616
Ios has file managers without needing root.
Took me 5 seconds to google it.
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/file-manager-free/id479295290?mt=8
>>
>>57026723
That app doesn't do what you think it does.
>>
>>57026723
>Taking a cup of water out of the sea
The inferiority is still there. See >>57026673
>>
>>57026741
Then what do these file explorers do?
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-files-file-manager-file/id957736496?mt=8
>>
>>57026542
She couldn't send her nude to chad with android.
>>
>>57025537
1. It's natively compatible with Windows Media Player and Explorer and natively accepts mp3 files, thereby sidestepping the need to deal with iTunes' clunky shit. Although the Apple Music app is less buggy in my experience.

2. You don't have to pay to publish an app and the process is generally more flexible.

3. By default you can transfer files between an Android and a PC in either direction, directly. Specifically, if you want to put some pictures on your PC, you don't have to load every one you've taken since you last did so.
>>
Drop the phone more than a foot without suffering a shattered screen
>>
>>57025777
>Living in Australia
No thanks
>>
>>57025537
iOS is for teenage girls.
>>
>>57027474
>if you want to put some pictures on your PC, you don't have to load every one you've taken since you last did so.

Confirmed for having never used an iPhone
>>
>>57025537
Recompile the kernel to suit the modules you need. Why? Ever tried to actually bridge LTE to a device?
>>
>>57025537
They can torrent
Proper file manager
Ability to move media without software like iTunes
>>
multitask
>>
>>57025594
>changeable battery depends on operating system
>every android device has a microSD card slot

Wtf are talking?
>>
>>57025566
Oh the irony.
>>
>>57025566
>what do you do when you find black women attractive, but do not find the personality and common cultural mores they have desireable

>protip: you fap to the pic of the black woman you found anyway.
>>
You can publish apps on Google Play perpetually for $25 USD. All you need to start developing apps is a PC. Some people can't (most will never) afford the apple ecosystem, yet a phone is not a luxury, well at least not calls, text, which are cheaper using some kind of app.
>>
>>57025553

DL and watch torrents.
>>
>>57025887
>Download files larger than 100MB on LTE.
What? You can do this.
>>
>>57025537
What can you do on iPhone that you can't on Android and why is it necessary? Not only do I get full control over the Android system I also have a back button, file manager (yes, it's important, even dumbphones have it), alternative stores, complete uninstallation of apps, torrenting and much more. I can fix it myself and literally everything is free (or can be pirated) and devices are more diverse. There's no reason to pay apple for mediocre services.
>>
>>57028452
>file manager
Holy shit, you really mean iOS can't have a proper file manager?!
>>
>>57028810
That's right.
You have to jailbreak it in order to even be ABLE to install a file manager.
>>
>>57025817
>software can explode
>>
>>57028824
What the fuck, I knew iOS was for teenage girls, but that's just ridiculous.
>>
You can't easily change a battery or simply insert a microsd on a ios phone that guess what is called a iphone.

Now my opinion, I have a 64gb microsd filled with music, pictures and weeb shit on top of my 32gb base and I'm about get a new battery cause mine is starting to last shorter.
-It is easy and convenient to watch my weeb crap, the 1080p (also available in icrap + tho ) is glorious.
-3.5mm for headphones that aren't shit, which is a big deal for me.
Sorry for potato orthography.
And fuck you.
>>
>>57026014
Kek
>>
>/g/
People don't know the difference between hardware and software
>>
>>57028979
>reading comprehension, context. What are they?
Bet you coannt raed tihs eteihr
>>
>>57025655
My point wasn't to attach peripherals, but that you somewhat decently write/edit code.
Doing dev work on a phone sucks by definition, but good luck trying to code on an iPhone
>>
>>57025718
ITT: opinions from the year 2011
>>
>>57025537
>What can you do on Android that you can't do on iPhone
download more than 100 megabytes of data
>>
>>57025763
>>57025777
Verizon doesn't do that.
>>
>>57025537
Alright fuccboi and his jailbroken iphone, I dont have to fucking plug in a damn cable and reroot everytime I restart my BASED android phone
>>
>>57028085
What Iphone has a removable battery?
>>
>>57029450
iPhone XXI
>>
>>57029346
Through the app store is what I'm sure you meant to finish that sentence fragment with. While it is a dumb as fuck restriction, it has fuck all to do with anything but the app store.
>>
>>57025537
Easier to write applications for android. Can repair most android based/anything that isnt an iphone much more easily.
>>
>>57025537
Let's compare unrooted to unjailbroken, since once you get into "Imma load custom os on my tiny ass device" you can pretty much go anywhere from there

customization
android wins this hands-down. launchers let you search through or browse apps as you want to, with broader gesture support; widgets let you do things like check the weather at a glance; different unlock methods (for those who aren't interested in fingerprints) let you choose how to access your phone

filesystem and sharing
try moving files from iphone to someone else's computer. Hint: iTunes will throw a bitchfit and try to wipe your phone
Android lets you drag+drop files to and from any computer

default apps
Android lets users set default apps for basically everything. Music, photos, web browsers, everything. Apple... doesn't

price/user choice
You can buy an unlocked android phone with sd expansion for something like $100. It won't be great, but maybe you don't need great, maybe you need eh with lots of storage

app stores
android lets you use alternate app stores. ios doesn't

bonus: muh anecdotes
siri kinda sucks compared to google now
>>
>>57025921
Unfortunately without the fanboys there would be about 4 people posting on this board
>>
>>57025537
Right out of the box I can charge my phone and listen to music through headphones
>>
>>57025537
Lag
>>
>>57027803
can you reup, pic 404'ed
>>
>>57029826
use x and you won't have to shitpost like that
>>
>>57029849
but its too late now, and the pic seemed really ...interesting
>>
>>57026248
>Some devs are so shit they can't use APIs correctly
>Therefore all apps are shit

I could say the exact same thing with devs not taking advantage of the fast storage of the iPhone and instead of having few compressed files they have tons of tiny files

This does not mean all iOS apps are shit
>>
>>57026248
It doesn't
>>
Cracking/blocking wifi.
>>
File: ios.png (281KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
ios.png
281KB, 666x666px
android lets you keep your dignity
>>
>>57025566
There are black women who aren't ghetto, anon.
>>
>>57025537
Most things aren't used by most people, but I use my phone as a tool for work so a few things I actually do find useful; USB otg, transfer any files via USB/micro SD/bluetooth/, removable battery, ir blaster, I use it as a bootable flashdrive for installing windows 7/10+ Linux for recovering files, I use a USB camera on a wire for looking in walls/hidden areas, can Bluetooth/USB/ WiFi teather, use it with Bluetooth elm327. Also adaway is nice.
>>
>>57026673
Half of those things are hardware related, and there are several android phones with no sd slot or removable battery. There are dope explorers for iPhone, and if you jailbreak you most certainly can customize the hi. Oh you can also download a music player app that lets you browse files if you're jailbroken, also what is iFunbox?

Android is slightly more customizable, but it's also slower due to poor optimization and less secure.
>>
>>57031565
Nice meme.
>>
>>57025763
>falling for the carrier jew
>>
>>57025537
>>57025553
Oh look, the nigger poster is back.
>>
>>57025922
Most are though
>>
>>57031654
That's not an argument, everything I posted is true. Android isn't complete shit, but iOS definitely outperforms, because of how well optimized it is, and the hardware it runs on. You're letting your personal feelings get in the way of the truth, is your personality that dependent on Android being superior?
>>
>>57025954
This, I use my phone like an mp3 all the time, If I download an album I need to extract the the Rar file with ES file explorer and Apple doesn't let me do any of that.
>>
>>57031812
Not on stock but if you're jailbroken you can do that, there are 3rd party music players on Cydia.
>>
>Family member asks me change their ringtone to a .mp3 they found online on a Iphone 6
>Can't get it into the phone
>Emailed it to it
>It can't do anything relevant with it
>Find apps that handle this kind of shit
>Not free, not doing the thing I wanted, pay to use another feature I didn't want
>"I'll just get Zedge like on android and hope something similar is in that library"
>It's absolute dogshit, poor UI, poor selection of uploads, seems unable to set as ringtone
>Google "how to set mp3 as ringtone iphone 6"
>Need to convert it to .m4a
>Need to install ITUNES
>Use itunes to SYNC the file to the device
>Place it in the proper category
>Now it's in the list of available sounds

Don't even get me started at DELETING PHOTOS IN BULK on a fucking iphone.
>>
>>57031700
>nigger
hey what your grill is doing while you are away ?
>>
>>57027739
Are you daft?
>>
>>57032406
>I don't know how.
That's my go to for any tech help request no matter how easy it is.

Depending on how long they have been trying ot get it to work and how upset they are I might help them if I feel like they actually tried.
>>
How does it feel to have a black gf?
>>
>>57032482
Well I feel insecure when I am around niggers always scared that some apes will steal her
>>
File: bill.jpg (20KB, 260x320px) Image search: [Google]
bill.jpg
20KB, 260x320px
>>57025537
Install multiple operating systems, build custom operating systems, sideload apps without a computer, choose from many different types of hardware, work on cool XDA group projects, etc. You also earn enough good boy points for 3 anti-apple shitposts.

FUCK TIM COOK

2 left.
>>
>>57032468
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>57032944
None of that is necessary
>>
I've been told that when you reset the phone to factory settings it asks you for the previous apple account still. So to sell it you have to reset the phone, log in and then log out(or just log out). Is it true?
>>
File: Penguins.jpg (760KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760KB, 1024x768px
>>57033356
Owning electronics of any kind is unnecessary. Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>57025593
i know im like 10 hours late on this one but

lol
>>
>>57033547
You have to unlink it from your AppleID, and then do the reset.
>>
File: 1469307991576.jpg (92KB, 1080x679px) Image search: [Google]
1469307991576.jpg
92KB, 1080x679px
iPhones just have better applications. Applications go to apple first
>>
Nothing
>>
>>57025993
Its shit posters and shills who are the problems. Often one and two the same.
>>
>>57025763
This is apparently because of being on an Unlimited Data plan.
>>
>>57034465
Most of that isn't even true though
>>
File: image.webm (113KB, 1080x1445px) Image search: [Google]
image.webm
113KB, 1080x1445px
Oops
>nobody posted the webm
>>
>>57034480
Other than camera it pretty much is.
Some functionality can be unlocked by jailbreaking, but apple actively tries to stop that, android does it out the box, and root is either out the box or easily obtained with no google trying to stop you.
>>
I couldnt find a screen dimmer like twilight to install

Thats one thing.
>>
>>57025655
A few of my buddies upgraded from their 5 soley because it didnt hold a charge anymore. Otherwise theyd keep using it until it actually breaks.
>>
>>57034508
>shit res screen
But the iPhone 6+ and 7+ are 1080p

>shit battery life
Only for call time. For SoT it trades blows with android flagships despite having a much smaller battery.

>shit mobile os
Same as every other MOBILE device then?

>no native file browser
But they're available in the App Store, for free.

>can't use the phone as a flash drive
My iPod touch 4g on ios 6 used to when I plugged it in, why can't iphone?

>no back button
It's built into the software. You know, like most Android buttons are too?

>shit multitasking
Not now that they have 2GB ram

>less apps
But they are higher quality and the qc from apple is tighter

Those are all the ones I care to disagree with.
>>
>>57025655
>usually you'll have upgraded before that's an issue.
I had to change the battery in my gs4. It was nice being able to easily put the new one in.
>>
>>57034673
>1080p
>good
>>
>>57025566
You find one raised middle-class or higher in areas with higher percentages of whites. I go to a college in Portland and almost none of the black females here have the stereotypical black accent, instead a white one or more mannered way of speaking. But they are likely from means.
>>
>>57025537
Man this chick is sexy
>>
>>57025537

You can own a smartphone without giving money to Apple.
>>
Be able to block all ads OS-wide while also receiving security updates.

You need root to modify host files on either Android or iOS. On iOS, to obtain root, you need to jailbreak, which requires exploiting a vulnerability. If the vulnerability is patched by a future update, the jailbreak is lost. On Android, root access can be obtained simply by flashing a recovery image through fastboot mode, and then flashing a superuser binary from the recovery. Neither of these require making the phone less secure, and one can still flash new OS images as need be should vulnerabilities be found.

Rooting Android is much more convenient than jailbreaking iOS. Any time one might consider using jailbroken iOS, it might be a better idea to just use Android.
>>
share data (text, pictures, videos, etc) between any two apps that can send/receive that data

ex. take picture in camera, share immediately to literally any app that can accept image files

ex2. share link directly from chrome to fb messenger without having to copy, navigate home, open messenger, then paste
>>
>>57029556
>>57028452

also these
>>
>>57026133
Offtopic I know, but how? I just use smb since ghost commander and vlc and everything supports it. Howto android nfs?
>>
>>57025537
Since it's 2016 and every fucking application ever is made with something.js and the mobile version is just a WebView package, there's not one single god damn difference at all between them.

Except Apple users have more sex.
>>
Well, we get better apps in iOS because Java is shit, and developers don't make quality apps for the play store with your insane piracy issues.
>muh 3rd party storez
>>
>>57025537
Separate volume control for
-notifications (ex calls and messages)
-sound (ex video music)
-alarms

This way you can have the volume for your alarm set to a certain level and not have to worry about it being muted the next morning. Additionally you can have notifications muted so that your movie/music playback is not interrupted etc etc.

One of my major gripes with iOS.. maybe not necessary but a very handy feature.
>>
File: IMG_20161012_153358_942.jpg (26KB, 1080x537px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161012_153358_942.jpg
26KB, 1080x537px
>>57038393
I can definitely see that as necessary since my phone is on silent but I still need alarms
>>
File: Screenshot_20161012-012147.png (79KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161012-012147.png
79KB, 1440x2560px
>>57030639
it does tho. resolution of 6P is 1440p
>>
Mount network drives
>>
>>57025537
being able to simply copy files from nearly any device
>>
>>57038874
Ouch.
>>
With an Android phone, I can compile and install my own 100% open source operating system, customized and optimized however I like it. Or I can install one I like that was made by a good developer I trust. And freedom doesn't require a justification of necessity.
>>
Android is heavily customizable, iOS (non jailbreaked) is not, but to 95% of people it doesn't matter so they go with iPhone
>>
have an OS that doesn't feel like total shit when on a large screen
>>
>>57025594
>Easier to write software for android
Hello Ranjid ,how is pajeet?
>>
>>57038005
I use SolidExplorer. I don't remember if I paid for it or not, but it was 100% worth. The best file explorer app I've used, and the NFS features just werks.
>>
>>57039867
IPhone 6s plus is great
>>
>>57026673
Yes
Yes
Yes
Not really. ROMs don't totally change the experience either. It's the same operating system, just with changes here and there, mostly UI changes too.
No, but it's not really a valid complaint unless you need 256GB+ of space.
Not easily, but it's doable. Same as with android flagships. This point is moot.
Yes
If you can afford an android flagship, you can afford an iPhone.
If you can't, you shouldn't buy a smartphone in the first place.
>>
File: iosVsLagdroid_games.jpg (543KB, 2010x1425px) Image search: [Google]
iosVsLagdroid_games.jpg
543KB, 2010x1425px
>>57025537
nowadays the only thing Android can do that iOS can't is accessing the file system (which is irrelevant for most people)

Also you can pirate stuff more easily on Android, which is by no means a good thing since because of this developers and content creators give preference to iOS.

> pic related, it's b8 but true in a way.
>>
I guess the main one for me is to drag and drop files to/from my phone.

I did also install a custom ROM (XtreStoLite) to debloat my Galaxy S6 Edge. I guess it would be handy if you could get rid of the unused inbuilt apps and iOS components from iPhones too.

One of the main things for me previously was the ability to use things like Swype and SwiftKey, but I see that they are available for iOS now. Do they work okay?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering a switch back to iPhone. My last one was the 4S. I already own Bluetooth memephones too.
>>
>>57039971
Content publishers are somewhat wary of piracy, but a majority of people aren't /g/ neets so it isn't that bad.

Besides, they'd be locking themselves out of a majority of the smartphone market by being iOS only.
>>
>>57039971
Excuse me?

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/fileexplorer-free/id510282524?l=en&mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/file-manager-free/id479295290?mt=8

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/file-manager-app/id521405763?mt=8
>>
>>57040000
>Can only access network files and files within the app itself, not elsewhere on the phone

Seriously?
>>
>>57025537
Just broke up with my half black girlfriend.
Fuck I miss her.
>>
>>57025537
Damn she's sexy. Tight little body.
>>
>>57040050
You can browse files on the device.
>>
>>57027786
1 hour ago I had to copy 1 video from someones ipad. Linux file explorer does not recognise ipad
Had to install some libraries
Linux explorer freezes when browsing DCIM folder because muh thumbnailes
in the end I simply copied DCIM folder itself from root folder (6GB, 7 minutes over usb 2.0)
>>
>>57027786
>>57041998
also ipad does not show filenames in it's picture feed
>>
>>57041998
Which distro?
Just werks on Ubuntu
>>
>>57042010
xubuntu
ios 9 on ipad
>>
>>57033671
This.
>>
>>57025537
tether via wi-fi
>>
>but ios can do with jailbreak

Why everyone doing this? We're talking about the phone, not the customized one. Just basic standard stuff. The talk of root/jailbreak means that your phone CANNOT do the actual action on the base model.
>>
>>57025537
>>57025553
You can't store files on it like a normal hard drive. It's a DRM prison. You can't even put music on it, you have to go through iTunes.

Even as someone who owns a MBP and iMac Retina I just cannot get down with the iPhone's DRM restrictions.
>>
File: fryman.png (112KB, 289x381px) Image search: [Google]
fryman.png
112KB, 289x381px
>what can you do on Android that you can't do on iPhone and why is it necessary
Post images without them being named "image.jpg"
Watch WebMs
Browse your filesystem
Manage your filesystem without using proprietary shit/adware
Remove carrier bloat
Rice

Can keep going if you want.
>>
File: serveimage(6).jpg (47KB, 640x385px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(6).jpg
47KB, 640x385px
>>57025537
Legitimate question.
What can you do on an iPhone that you can't do on Android and why is it necessary?
Here's a pic of someone holding an Android because that's what we're discussing.
>>
communicate with linux
I can't use an iphone again unless I buy a mac
that's going to take some doing
>>
>>57044527
As I said earlier ( >>57044425 ) I have TWO Mac products and ZERO desire to get an iPhone.
>>
>>57025553
Customize things without being treated like a second class citizen (my iPhone's keyboard keeps switching back on its own).

Swap the default messaging app.

Pick what I want to do with my phone, not the other way around.

Have my pebble watch respond to texts without having to go through AT&T.

Get a legit 4chan app.

iPhonetards will say "Too cheap to get an Apple watch" my response is "I'm sorry, I should be able to use whatever I want, shouldn't have to pick a phone just for some hardware."
>>
>>57044643
>shouldn't have to pick a phone just for some hardware

What a dumb argument.
>>
>>57038035
>Except Apple users have more sex.
Anon, gay sex isn't sex.
>>
>>57044669
So you only pick one of them. Makes sense.
>>
Is a jailbroken Iphone always going to be better than android? I previously had a jailbroken iphone 6 which I sold and now use an s7 and I feel like I fucking downgraded.
>>
>>57045163
better as in smooth performance, no fucking lag and still decent customization. I don't flash roms or anything, but being able to customize my homescreen and gestures is important to me.
>>
>>57025537
iPhone shill pls go
>>
>>57025622
Underrated
>>
File: Bitlocker.jpg (30KB, 650x664px) Image search: [Google]
Bitlocker.jpg
30KB, 650x664px
Nothing. Both are awful. Get a Windows Phone.
>>
>>57046204
Anon, is that even possible?
>>
>>57025757
/thread
>>
>>57025537

They're usually better priced for what you get, and the variety of choice attracts a lot of people. Removable batteries are useful, and a more customizable interface is a plus if you're willing to spend an hour or two doing it.
>>
>>57025537
legitimate question here, who the fuck is that in your picture and why am I not already hitting that?
>>
>>57046713
Android flagships cost just as much as iPhone now
>>
>>57025585
>>57025565
>>57025537
What are they taking pictures of?
>>
>>57025537
>>57025553
apple r good
can you sign my up for the pay-to-shill club now
>>
Does iOS still use the onscreen back button at the top? If so it's garbage. You can always rely on Apple to sacrifice functionality for design.
>>
Hack the Gibson
>>
>>57049501
Women holding phones
>>
>>57025585
>>57025537
>>57025537
>>57033761
stop posting niggers you disgusting faggot
>>
File: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (14KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
8-inch-floppy.jpg
14KB, 430x319px
>>57025537
>What can you do on Android that you can't do on iPhone and why is it necessary?

You can run all the most common and useful smartphone apps for less than $599.

/thread
>>
>>57052412
So if I bought my SE for $299, what does that mean?
>>
>>57052449
I bought my Moto E 2nd Gen for $20. What does that mean?
>>
>>57052640
It means you can get a Moto E 2nd Gen for $20.

The point was you can get a current iPhone for half as much as you stated.
>>
File: ChromeBananaHoldBowl_l.jpg (15KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
ChromeBananaHoldBowl_l.jpg
15KB, 260x260px
>>57052662
It's a legitimate point. Let me reformulate my statement:
You can run all the most common and useful smartphone applications for less than 1/10th the price.
>>
>>57034489
/thread
>>
File: 1475492354034.png (127KB, 2458x2458px) Image search: [Google]
1475492354034.png
127KB, 2458x2458px
>>57034489
Why is the 100MB mobile data download limit and updates that make older iPhones laggy as shit not in that list? Those 2 things are what keep me from buying an iPhone, ever.
>>
>>57052821
That screen on time is really impressive once you see the difference in battery size.
>>
>>57025537
no access to hardware apis on ios
That means absolutely no diagnostic tools will ever exist on iphones or ipads to analyze wireless signal strength or report on bssid/channel spread

Theres also only 1 restricted app market so i cant run emulators or have easy access to customization (read:ricing) tools

Those are my two main reasons. Plus I'm vehemently against giving that company money. They care nothing for their users and constantly shit on devs to boot.
>>
File: Capture.png (189KB, 620x459px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
189KB, 620x459px
>>57025537
Black Lonley Ugly Woman trying to promote IR dating bye trolling with pic of propaganda black women..
>>
>>57055398
that sounds too intelligent for a black
>>
>>57055398
>being this new
>>
>>57055398
Why so angry?
It's not just to keep us entertained, is it?
>>
>>57052821
Isn't the iPhone only 1900mAh?
>>
>>57025537
I can replace my own button without Apple bricking me at a later date.
Thread posts: 230
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.