[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have been working at a decent university for the past five

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

I have been working at a decent university for the past five years teaching mostly post-graduates and I have noticed a stunning development in the past two or three years.

Outside of people from an IT-related background, most don't seem to have any grasp of a hierarchical/nested directory structure. It is an alien concept to them and they need to learn it from scratch.

People in their later 20s and 30s+ understand directory trees just fine, even the biologists. But the youngest of the students (think 22 year olds - I teach in MSc courses) struggle to an extent I haven't seen since I was teaching my grandparents to use a smartphone.

Anyone else notice this trend or did I just get three bad waves of students? What might be causing this?
>>
>>57024087
>hierarchical/nested directory structure
please be more specific, because I cannot believe that there are people in the Science faculty who cannot draw a tree diagram.

Please, at least the mathematicians
>>
>>57024125
Most can understand it once it is explained to them properly, what I'm surprised is that they need it explained at all. And even for the genuinely intelligent ones operating on what is a new concept for them will still be very inefficient.

They struggle with things like knowing where a downloaded file is, are puzzled by the concept of creating more directories other than "My Documents"/"Downloads" (and ESPECIALLY directories in those) and have problems with the concept of a file explorer/command shell being in a specific working directory.

Most commonly and even among those without the above problems, many have problems understanding the idea of file paths - they can click-through the directory structure just fine, but specifying the path as (back)slash delimited text?! - WHOA
>>
>>57024216
This is basic computer literacy, how is it that they've never come across directories in the normal course of using a computer? Even moving files around would require some understanding of how directories can be structured. And using a file browser must necessitate knowing that what is displayed on your screen is "in" the directory. If the majority of users have just the "My Documents" folder with all their files dumped in and with no subidrectories they I have little hope for the coming generation.

I'm not sure if I should be blaming Windows for this in the way I get pissy about users being scared of the terminal. I haven't used Windows since 7 though; surely things haven't got that bad?

AND THESE ARE POST-GRAD STUDENTS How do you keep on living?
>>
>american_education.mlp.pbuh
>>
>>57024087
It's just the layout of newer oses senpai
>>
>>57024939
I'm in the UK.

>>57024957
What about it? I've mostly used Linux for years.
>>
>>57024376
>How do you keep on living?
I focus on my research.

It's not that bad anyway. One of my friends who teaches a stats class recently learned one of his students (a PhD student, in fact) doesn't understand fractions.
>>
I call bs because I'm from that age group and most people my age throughout my entire life knew basic PC concepts.
>>
>>57024376
>blaming Windows
Blame iphones and tablets
>>
>>57025230
>tablets
so basically windows 10
>>
>>57025128
Still can't believe you guys voted for the Brexit.
That was the most retarded decision ever. Maybe it's related with your problem.
>>
This is what happens when people use only dumbed-down toy "computers".

Blame smartphones (specially iPhones) and tablets for hiding the filesystem from the user and teaching them stuff like "downloaded files go to the Downloads app". Shit is getting too easy to use, any retard can use a smartphone without understanding what the hell is going on, they just expect "apps" to do all the work for them, and sadly it's spreading to other types of devices too.
>>
>>57024087
>make a lenghty post about a minor issue
>intellectual masturbator
>ask to be spoonfeeded
>academic carrer
Op is the stereotype of a fagget
>>
File: 1461936065732s.jpg (5KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1461936065732s.jpg
5KB, 125x125px
>>57025312
>>
File: consider-the-following-gorilla.jpg (110KB, 786x514px) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following-gorilla.jpg
110KB, 786x514px
>>57025289
Hierarchical file systems aren't fundamental to computing, they are an abstraction just like the app one you mention.
>>
>>57025270
>That was the most retarded decision ever.
Least it was our decision.
>>
>>57024087
Hey OP, I have a completely free ride through undergrad school, and I have $40k which can be used for graduate school only. I have no interests.

I was thinking a BS in Health Information Management, and going to Law School after that.
What do you think? I ask since you are surrounded by academic eggheads all day.
>>
>>57025329
>pooped my pants
>but at least it's MY poo
>>
>>57025270
Self-governance is a significant reason to divorce a union where domestic politics are governed by non-voted foreign politicians.
>>
>>57025346
>foreign

That's pretty anti-European of you
>>
>>57025327
that's not a gorilla.
>>
>>57025350
ouch
>>
>>57025252
Doesn't matter what OS you use, if you use a desktop you will understand directory hierarchies, nobody exclusively uses metro on win10 desktops, theres a desktop mode for a reason
>>
Soon we will catch up with Japan where 60% of teenagers don't know how to use a desktop computer.
>>
>>57025370
>for a reason
Yes, backwards compatibility and pleasing dinosaurs like you as the market is slowly being weaned of the tired desktop metaphor gimmick which belongs in the 1990s.
>>
>>57025312
Downvoted and reported
>>
>>57025394
>le current year
>>
What is there to not understand about it?
>>
These are products of iOS and Android. You're going to see more as desktop computers are used less.
>>
File: computer.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
computer.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>57025380
I blame Sailor Moon
>>
>>57025394
I'm 20 lol, if I'm considered a dinosaur then windows must be marketing to my sperm cells. Nobody I know uses metro on their laptops or desktops and I know plenty of people with win 8 or 10 in my classes as well as friends. You're buying into /g/ hysteria, metro failed, their phone failed, their tablets aren't even that great.
>>
File: 1476173242395.png (5KB, 431x191px) Image search: [Google]
1476173242395.png
5KB, 431x191px
>>57024087
That's what you get from raising your kids on macs and iphones.
If you give them toys designed for the elderly and mentally challenged people, how do you expect them to learn anything useful?
I call them the "app" generation.
Fuck them all.

Also, please refrain from posting unoptimized PNGs. Thank you.
>>
>>57025500
>Stop wasting bandwidth wait let me waste bandwidth wait lets turn this into webm for good measure
kys
>>
>>57025571
>5KB instead of 7KB
>waste of bandwidth
>>
>>57025479
Mental dinosaur.

The normie future is now, no one cares about you or your self-selected group of abnormie peers.
>>
>>57025578
>>57025571
>>57025500
do you guys think moot partly saw this place as a labor of love?

I mean obviously he no longer does, but hiroshima is cutting corners right from the start.
why couldn't notch have just bought this place
>>
>>57025380
http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20151025/p2a/00m/0na/005000c
>>
File: enjoy.jpg (37KB, 466x349px) Image search: [Google]
enjoy.jpg
37KB, 466x349px
>>57025624
>89 percent of high school students indicated that they used smartphones, while 30 percent said that they utilized laptops, and a mere 16 percent answered that they used desktop computers
>>
Bullshit OP. We're are the ones that fix our parents computers, which would be hard to do if we didn't know about directories.
>>
http://www.coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
>>
>>57024087
Have had experience with those spergs.
Happened yesterday.
I just want them to leave earth.
>>
File: 1432817901948.jpg (59KB, 395x401px) Image search: [Google]
1432817901948.jpg
59KB, 395x401px
>>57025679
>I handed back the MacBook and the woman opened up Safari. 'The Internet's not working,' she stated with disdain.
>I've heard this sentence so many times now from students and staff, that I have a stock reaction. Normally I pull out my mobile phone and pretend to tap in a few numbers. Holding the handset to my ear I say: 'Yes, give me the office of the President of the United States.... NO, I WILL NOT HOLD. This is an emergency.... Hello, Mister President, I'm afraid I have some bad news. I've just been informed that The Internet is not working.'
>>
>>57025787
Now he will have to call the UN.
>>
>>57025370
>Doesn't matter what OS you use, if you use a desktop you will understand directory hierarchies

You're dead wrong. I know lots of (mostly Windows) desktop users who do not know shit about directory hierarchies. Without desktop shortcuts, docks or a start menu most normies would never be able to find the location of their programs.

>normie friend books flight, accidentally saves boarding pass pdf file to another folder than "downloads" and is absolutely fucking lost.
>my sister deletes chrome desktop shortcut and rages about how it still is the standard browser even though she "uninstalled" it.
>girl in my university class unable to find powerpoint presentation because list of recently opened files was "cleared" after update

most of young normies are completely out of touch with the technology they use on a daily basis. Meanhwhile old fags like my parents, uncles etc. who were used to copying files and directories by hand in MS-Dos do not have any problem with these things...
>>
File: printer cat.jpg (48KB, 450x334px) Image search: [Google]
printer cat.jpg
48KB, 450x334px
>>57024087
>Kids who have only ever used Chromebooks and iPads, never real computers and have never consciously used a file system

What a horrible thought.
>>
>>57024087
I've met 17 year olds who don't know what a url is.
They think it's like a google search, or something.

Most of them are completely unable to use a keyboard. It's like watching a 70 year old from 20 years ago. I wish I was making this up.
>>
>>57025952
Don't they have "keyboarding" as a required class in Highschool? I did (28).
>>
>>57026007
>literal typewriter class in TWENTY SIXTEEN
>>
File: macbook_gaming.jpg (67KB, 590x841px) Image search: [Google]
macbook_gaming.jpg
67KB, 590x841px
>>57026007
took it in middle school, but it was strictly for typing and basic office software competency. there was no training on what a browser is, urls, etc.

>that's what college "computers 101" is for, anon.
>>
>>57025679
This made me sad.
>>
File: 1475124794040.jpg (145KB, 936x728px) Image search: [Google]
1475124794040.jpg
145KB, 936x728px
>>57024087
>mfw I realise my lecturer browses /g/

Don't worry, C. N., we won't tell anyone.
>>
>>57024087
>Post graduate (nursery) teacher
>>
>>57024216
Because they probably use macs
>>
>>57026154
Those kinds of things -- typing, word, powerpoint, etc -- are what people think of as computer skills nowadays. People who don't know what urls are still think they're pretty computer savvy.
>>
>>57024216
>mac fags can't into computers
>this is a new trend
You must be new here.
>>
>>57026389
oh I'm well aware of that. I was just saying that ~16 years ago, my "computer" class used the old Power Mac G3 to teach the absolute basics, nothing about browsers or the internet. It wouldn't cut it nowadays.
>>
>>57026380
>>57026702
don't macs have unix filesystems?
>>
>>57026959
Yes but they don't really use them. They instead choose to corral the user into whatever Steve wanted them to see.
>>
>>57025600
nagasaki cares about money, how you dumb retards didn't see that from his past, he's trying to sell more 4chan passes, the site is already profitable otherwise he would've accepted one of the offerts from the dozen of richfags that offered to buy the site.

He knows that longterm he can make more money especially with annual passes.
>>
>>57026959
As a Windows fag, I find it hard to use finder. The path at the bottom is a ridiculous abomination (hover to show folder name wtf.), there is no visual hierarchy like in Windows, files and folders are per default shown as a grid, no wonder people can't into computers.
>>
Sounds kinds baity or they're really stupid
Windows 10 has directory hierarchy on the left in explorer
>>
People either search for their files (?)
Or maybe it's more like
Muhmuh iPad just shows what files there are, wut is directory and hierarchy and file type
>>
>>57025128
>I'm in the UK.
what uni you at, senpai?

>>57025270
non-brit doesnt understand british politics
colour me surprised

we voted leave on principle, were fundamentally opposed to the EU in its current form
>>
>>57027060
Are you serious? How files are represented in the Finder is 100% user choice but where the files actually reside is at their respective UNIX paths, regardless of how it looks in the Finder.
>>57027077
Just turn on column view and the Path Bar, you don't have to hover over anything.
>>
I've encountered several old people who can't grasp the concept, but never a teenager.
>>
>>57027711
Not really, no one gives a shit here, Germany's worried like fuck cause they're economy has been going to shit and they influx of migrants
>>
>>57026959
Yeah but they abstract them a lot.
>>
>>57027682
>Just do these 15 simple steps
I thought it just works?
Column view doesn't really show the tree-ness of the structure, and if the path gets long enough, stuff is shortened. Can you just click on the path in the bar and have it as selectable text with "/"es?
>>
File: Untitled.png (49KB, 1143x431px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
49KB, 1143x431px
>>57025270
>britain doing logical decisions
>>
>>57027934
That's a result of uncertainty, it's not like they have left the EU yet.

From an economic point of view you will only be able to judge the results in a few decades. In terms of principle they have saved their sovereignty.
>>
>>57024087
>Anyone else notice this trend or did I just get three bad waves of students? What might be causing this?
Let's be real, UI designers have accepted defeat long time ago when it comes to hierachical file management.
>>
>>57025329
That's what you believe.
>>
>>57025787
He's right, but it is neither funny nor well placed sarcasm. He may have shit taste for dad-jokes(,) like you.

What good is sarcasm if it doesn't tear your spine apart.
>>
>>57028567
actually as a dad joke it is excellent
>>
>>57028479
So what the new hotness?

In any case a hierarchical file system is just an abstraction, the data is stored as blocks.
>>
>>57024216
>They struggle with things like knowing where a downloaded file is, are puzzled by the concept of creating more directories other than "My Documents"/"Downloads" (and ESPECIALLY directories in those) and have problems with the concept of a file explorer/command shell being in a specific working directory.

How many of these students exclusively use Mac OS?
>>
>>57028767
>So what the new hotness?
throwing it all in one place and hope a search engine finds it

>In any case a hierarchical file system is just an abstraction, the data is stored as blocks.
Your point?
>>
>>57028977
My point is despairing at kids these days not knowing about hierarchical file systems like OP does is pointless. As an abstraction it is in no way more real, fundamental or important than the search-engine based flat abstraction those kids are used to.
>>
>>57027934
>falling for the forex meme
>>
>>57029034
>As an abstraction it is in no way more real, fundamental or important than the search-engine based flat abstraction those kids are used to.

That's like saying abstract data structures make no sense, because they are only an abstraction about raw memory pages. With heuristic approaches, you can't automate things unambiguously. Git gut, faggot.
>>
>>57028479
>UI designers have accepted defeat long time ago
Wrong.
UX "designers" declared war on all HCI.
>>
>>57027919
15 steps? I recommended a literal 3 click solution to your issue.

You can secondary click on anything in the path bar and go straight to the enclosing folder or open that location directly. If you need to go somewhere and already know the correct path you would just use the 'Go To Folder' command (Command+Shift+G, which can be invoked from anywhere if the Finder is in the foreground) and just type the file path.
>>
>>57029495
>UX designers
>>
>>57025578
>5KB instead of 7KB
It's 7+5, you dip.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.