[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it planned obsolescence or are we just that bad at making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

Is it planned obsolescence or are we just that bad at making new batteries?
It seems like over the past 10 years we've heard about many new batteries, including graphene batteries which would in theory fix almost all the problems and would even be cheaper to produce.
Yet there's nothing on the market today other than good old technology from 30+ years ago.
>>
>>57015430
Samsung seem to have perfected them.
>>
>>57015430
We're just bad at making them, some legit technological leap in batteries must first happen before we leave behind lithium-ion batteries behind.

The 2 main problems are production costs and safety. No other battery tech has surpassed lithium ion in terms of those things.
>>
>>57015593
I would Risk my life in order to get a 7 days nonstop working phone. Fuck safety.>>57015593
>>
there's only one rational answer and that's chinks.
Not even joking, the Taiwanese and Chinese battery market is seedy and cutthroat, from the low quality "clean" rooms the assemble batteries in (where one speck of dust threatens the entire performance and safety of the battery), to binning and rebinning and relabeling the batteries too crap for the big brands, to the near-monopoly they have on battery manufacturing, cheap chinkshit from China and Taiwan are killing the battery industry. Even big brands and competent manufacturers in Taiwan are getting the crap end of the passed around cell market.
We can make good batteries, but like silicon chips, it's a certain chance out of 100 that it'll be any good, and the rest if those almost good enough batteries somehow end up flooding the market
>>
>>57015430
The batteries in the older devices seemed to last longer because their function did not require much power in the first place

Using the same caliber battery like in the old devices on a modern device and you're lucky if it even lasts an hour
>>
>>57015593
Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries are actually some of the most unsafe batteries ever.
We just use them because the alternatives have smaller energy density.
>>
>>57015699
Then betavoltaic batteries (aka atomic batteries) may be of interest to you. They would last a comfortable ~10 years on a phone before needing to be replaced. Only drawback is you will probably die of cancer within a year or two from the radiation exposure
>>
>>57015828
But you can encapsulate the baterry so the harmful radiation cant get you, right?At least thats what i saw in my nuclear energy class last year
>>
>>57015881
>But you can encapsulate the baterry so the harmful radiation cant get you, right?At least thats what i saw in my nuclear energy class last year
True but then your phone would weight like 10KG and be the shape of a standard brick or larger for the radiation shielding.
>>
>>57015828
>Only drawback is you will probably die of cancer within a year or two from the radiation exposure
sounds to me you're pretty ignorant about physics and your proposed battery
>>
>>57015963
The samples we analized At the laboratory didnt have that much shielding. I remember they were coated in an epoxy resin or some shit like that. We got readings from the geyger thought. The only problem i see is that anybody could break the seal and poison other people
>>
how soon are we to mass-produced bendy batteries
>>
>>57015994
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/190555-this-nuclear-battery-could-power-your-smartphone-forever-as-long-as-you-dont-value-your-life-or-sperm-count-too-highly
>>
>It seems like over the past 10 years we've heard about many new batteries, including graphene batteries which would in theory fix almost all the problems and would even be cheaper to produce.

it is easy to make some breakthrough in the lab, it is hard to apply that breakthrough to some large scale production.

>Yet there's nothing on the market today other than good old technology from 30+ years ago.
Yes there is, todays batteries are powerful for their size/weight than the ones in the past.

Take for example the BL-5C battery (from one of the best selling phones of 2006 the nokia 1600 series)
970mAh 3.7v = 3.598 watt hours

Now the LG G5 battery has a 10.78 Wh battery which is about 3x more capacity than the BL-5C battery
>>
>>57015881
whether you can or not depends on what kind of radiation is emitted by the radioisotope you choose. Alpha radiation is practically harmless, it's stopped by things like typing paper and the layer of dead cells on the surface of your skin. Beta radiation can be stopped by wrapping something in aluminum foil. More cause for caution, but no big deal. Gamma radiation needs thick lead foil at a minimum, and more powerful gamma rays need up to several centimeters of solid lead. A foot of concrete will also do the job.

Anyway the first pacemakers used RTGs. That's a radioisotope thermal generator, and they're most famous for being used in space probes that venture beyond the distance where solar panels work. You pick something that's radioactive enough that it makes itself hot (usually plutonium-238, but there are plenty of other choices) and bolt it to a peltier. You may have encountered those for CPU cooling, since when you run a current through them, they create a thermal gradient - one side gets cold and the other gets hot. This works the other way around, create a thermal gradient by heating one side, and you create a current.

They put these in pacemakers because at the time nothing else was viable. The only rechargeable chemistries available were lead-acid (car batteries) and NiCd, which is famous for its lousy energy density. Nonrechargeables that you have to open the patient up to change were no good, unless they could last several years. Which even a small RTG can, for this low load.

They quit using these once better batteries became available, since they meant that when the patient died, they had to account for the RTG and dispose of it. Cremating the person without removing it would send plutonium up the smokestack, in finely ground oxide dust, which is exactly the form in which it can kill you most effectively.
>>
>>57016069
>What makes a betavoltaic battery somewhat safe is that beta radiation can be easily stopped with a thin piece of aluminium;
thanks, breh
>>
>>57016069
>as-long-as-you-dont-value-your-life-or-sperm-count
I don't value either, sign me up.
>>
>>57016073
We also have the GM M5 which boasts a 6Ah battery or 22.2 Wh. The phone itself only weighs 211g or only ~30% more than the LG G5.

http://www.gsmarena.com/gionee_marathon_m5-7259.php

I'd honestly like to see more phone manufacturers make this a standard so people only have to charge their phones like once a week.
>>
>>57015699
wat, I charge my phone bi weekly
>>
>>57016219
OP doesn't have a phone with a removable battery that's been replaced with a 10,000 mAh one like the rest of us smart folk.
>>
>>57016091
Thanks for that anon, that was really interesting
>>
>>57016151
6Ah is a lot different than 6000mAh, which is it? Because a 6Ah battery at any decent voltage would be pretty big news
>>
>>57017144
bruh...
>>
>>57017217
Ah isn't a unit, it's a measurement.
1 amp for one hour is a lot different from one milliamp for 1000 hours
>>
>>57015430
We can make really good batteries, the problem is that they like to test them for multiple years before we even begin to see them on the market

Fucking sucks cause we could have had that tech 5+ years ago but we don't, suppose it's better to wait than have what's happening with Samsung happen on a large scale
>>
>>57017663
Just hang yourself right now.
>>
File: image.png (734KB, 720x540px)
image.png
734KB, 720x540px
>>57017789
Let's see your 6Ah battery hold an entire amp at its nominal voltage for an hour and see how that goes
>>
>>57017816
For 6 hours*, sorry
>>
>>57015516
i smiled
>>
>>57017816
>I don't understand dimensional analysis
>>
File: 1475552294172.jpg (303KB, 960x1136px)
1475552294172.jpg
303KB, 960x1136px
>>57017816
>>57017829
>image.png
Stupid itoddler, you should have posted your first response to me with an image. That way I would have just ignored you from the start.
>>
>>57017885
But can you show me a battery that can hold an amp at any decent voltage for 6 hours? I'll shut up if you can but you cant
>>
>>57015828
>>57015881
>>57016069
>>57016103
>>57016109
The problem with this shit is that disposing of devices with such batteries would require a huge effort, and if punctured you'd have a radiation contamination to handle. Also radiation shielding and concerns would make these things nearly unpocketable.
And fuck, I'd never believe the shielding anyways, fuck this so much, not placing a nuclear battery anywhere near my ear.

It's just never going to happen. Luckily.
>>
>>57017941
>I don't understand dimensional analysis

Go back to third grade Billy.
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 720x568px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 720x568px
>>57017959
>doesn't even know what an Ah is
>>
>>57016091
Aluminum foil is a myth. It takes a 5mm thick sheet of aluminum to stop beta particles.
>>
>>57017959
this, HOLY FUCK aplel are dumb
>>
File: image.webm (113KB, 1080x1445px) Image search: [Google]
image.webm
113KB, 1080x1445px
>>57017971
see webm related, friend
>>
File: image.png (338KB, 622x399px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
338KB, 622x399px
>>57017941
>>57017941
>>57017941
>>57017941
Don't worry if anybody anywhere can find one I'll pay good money for it
>>
>>57018041
see >>57017995
>>
>>57017995
>>57018058
why do you keep posting this
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.