[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into programming. But it seems so daunting when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: html-programming.jpg (175KB, 1738x1151px) Image search: [Google]
html-programming.jpg
175KB, 1738x1151px
I want to get into programming. But it seems so daunting when looking at all the different alternatives and languages availible.

I've always been more of a hardware guy so I know a lot of stuff surrounding that. Lately i've gained interest in Software and perhaps looking at building a EZ80 machine.

Without bullying, where is a good place to start?
>>
(Yes I know codecademy is a meme) Go on there, and learn Python, and maybe a few others. Then just practice, practice, practice. Think up problems for yourself, and solve them with code.
>>
>>57011536
this, and maybe pirate a book for exercises
>>
>>57011514
Programming is a tool just like writing is. First thing to decide is what you are planning to write, then find the best tools for it. Don't get to anal about it, tools only matter to extent. What I always like to do for actual learning is reading code on github. Find a good project written by other people, read their shit. Funny how simple it is?
>>
>>57011514
You hit on the big issue, which is finding which way you want to go and just going and staying the course. In my opinion the best way to do it is pick a mid term goal like making a twitter bot, simple mobile app, or a website with a certain functionality, and then make a list of the most efficient languages to get that done.

Once you have that list get your books and start piecing things together. It's going to be rough so just bear in mind that you will be searching a lot, even with a book reference. Get on a schedule where you work on your project every day during X time of day so you get in the habit of working through your rough patches rather than slacking off and forgetting what you learned.

Forget everyone who is going to come troll you with K&R saying to learn C first. You can do that later once you have the motivation and interest of having built something simple that works and has your interest.
>>
>>57011536
>Maybe a few others.

Could you be a bit more specific? Perhaps give me a list of some languages worth learning. See, I know nothing about what's in and out in this business.

I mainly want to use it for Software making and perhaps getting into building an easy computer from scratch.

Are there perhaps some languages that ease the learning of others after it if that makes sense? Or do all languages follow the same underlying pattern.
>>
>>57011656
That is some solid advice. I'll keep that in mind, thank you.
>>
>>57011514
Thanks for making this thread OP. I've been thinking the same things and there is some good advice in here.
>>
>>57011536
>learn python
Don't learn this meme language
>>
>>57011745
Its the easiest language to learn for a beginner. Learn python OP.
>>
File: 1475958996090.jpg (62KB, 840x544px) Image search: [Google]
1475958996090.jpg
62KB, 840x544px
>>57011745
>Hur C is relevant dur
Nothing personal kid.
>>
File: image_31.jpg (14KB, 236x186px) Image search: [Google]
image_31.jpg
14KB, 236x186px
Start with python
Do things that you want, for example make your coffee machine start every morning before you wake up
Practice
Don't learn languages to learn a language. Figure out something you want to do first, then ask for the best tools to do it. Learn as you need to learn. There are resources everywhere on the internet.

Good luck cousin
>>
>>57011972
Enjoy unemployment kid :^)
>>
>>57011745
>>57011972
>>57012278

Please don't turn this somewhat helpful thread into a /g/ shitshow.
>>
>>57011656
This
Also I'd like to suggest to work goal oriented rather than time oriented, I mean set up some long term mid term short term goals, but whatever works best for you, having goals keeps me motivated.
>>
>>57011656
Great advice. I will only add that the best purchase a newbie can make is a whiteboard. You absolutely have to organize your work before hamming out a bunch of code you are scarcely familiar with. Pen and paper work too but a whiteboard gives you room to be elaborate without the clutter.
>>
File: 1476034650533.jpg (38KB, 570x359px) Image search: [Google]
1476034650533.jpg
38KB, 570x359px
>>57012040
how can i make something in python to auto-find and auto-purchase a specific item once it is released on a website?

heard you can do it in python -- also i'm not OP
>>
if you're more of a hardware guy, either you already know C or you should.
>>
>>57011561
I'm so fucking sick of hearing people say this.
That's not how it is, you fucking retard.
Learning syntax and practices of languages never fucking works like that, because you can do everything in every language's ecosystem, now.
Fuck.
ITS A TOOL!!!!!!!XDDDDD
>>
>>57012830

That sounds like an awesome project

There are libraries that you're going to have to leverage.

The way I'd do it is I'd run a script that refreshes the pages that says "coming soon", and as soon as a change is detected I'd make the script send an email alert, so you could purchase it yourself. That would be a good start.

Look up web crawling libraries
>>
>>57013203
i have a script already i just am looking to modify it but i don't know python

it parses the page and it uses beautifulsoup4 and pip i believe

right when the item is dropped it will find it and add it to the cart
>>
>>57013203
thanks for the response so far though, it's definitly a step in the right direction <3
>>
>>57011514
>suggesting dynamically typed languages as the first language
Yeah why learn it right when you can learn it wrong
>>
Couple months ago I really wanted to build my own tracker for astrophotography. I had it planned out but didn't even have a clue as to how I would program it to be able to track coordinates in the sky and take things into account like earth's rotation. If I attempted it now, what language would I try to learn first?
>>
>>57011514
Learn web stuff, js and the like. It's easier to share with employers and friends to show off and you still learn about programming. Then learn C
>>
imo, don't go through exercises on a random language to start

Instead, find something that you would actually want to program. Maybe you use Discord or IRC, you could try programming a bot. Maybe you're interested in web development, try making a unique website for yourself. Maybe you play vidya and you want to write a script to help you in a game.

Anyways I practiced through a texbook before and it just didn't hold my interest because it felt kinda pointless. Only once I started programming for my own use did I actually become interested and wanted to learn more.
>>
I want to be a game programmer, don't have much experience programming, where should I start? obviously I don't plan on making some call of duty by myself but I do want to start my own indie studio.
>>
>>57011514
Learn a simple staticly typed language, like C.
Then learn python and enjoy programming.
Then learn Java/C#/C++.
>>
>no Pascal ITT
It is made literally for education.

Python is a good and powerful language but I think it may develop wrong understanding how computer works.
>>
>>57015288
>I want to be a game programmer, don't have much experience programming, where should I start? obviously I don't plan on making some call of duty by myself but I do want to start my own indie studio.

Bumping for interest.
>>
This is the book i'm currently using to learn Python
Python for everybody
>http://do1.dr-chuck.com/pythonlearn/EN_us/pythonlearn.pdf

It's free
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.