[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People who put Band-aids over their webcams

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 20

File: band-aid.jpg (53KB, 747x278px) Image search: [Google]
band-aid.jpg
53KB, 747x278px
What is with this
A) Surely the webcam light would come on and you would know someone's watching you... it's not possible without having downloaded some shit tier software anyway, right?
B) who actually gives a shit about being seen naked or whatever, especially if you're not female. There's a whole webcamming industry out there
Can someone who knows about computers please explain this to me? ty
>>
>>57009506
>A) Surely the webcam light would come on and you would know someone's watching you... it's not possible without having downloaded some shit tier software anyway, right?
there's evidence that webcams can be activated without the indicator light turning on.

>B) who actually gives a shit about being seen naked or whatever, especially if you're not female. There's a whole webcamming industry out there
some people have something to live for, and being blackmailed for nude videos and stuff can be a real drag.

if you don't care about other people seeing you naked, why do you care about other people covering up their webcams? this is like the most retarded hypocritical complaint i've ever seen on /g/
>>
>>57009506
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/22/mark-zuckerberg-tape-webcam-microphone-facebook
>>
>>57009506
>not buying a laptop with a mechanical webcam cover
kys op
>>
>hurr why wouldn't you want the government SecuTrack™ cameras installed in your bedroom and toilet, you're not a terrorist are you
Fuck off if you don't understand privacy, idiot.

>webcam light would come on
Nope.
>>
the CIA director covers up his webcam
>>
>>57009540
FBI director
anyway close enough

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/08/473548674/why-the-fbi-director-puts-tape-over-his-webcam
>>
>>57009521
The camera on Macbooks are setup such that the power to drive the camera is drawn by way of the light.
>>
>>57009506
>Band-aiding your laptop's webcam
People seriously do this?
This is why insulation tape is used for.
>>
>>57009551
who led you to believe this? because a cursory google shows that the light isn't hardwired as commonly assumed.
>>
>>57009554
literally who cares what material you use? what kind of intense autism do you have?
>>
>>57009506
> it's not possible without having downloaded some shit tier software anyway, right?

The shit software I have to use is called Windows and is botnet ridden.
>>
>>57009521
>there's evidence that webcams can be activated without the indicator light turning on.
Some, at least.

>>57009561
Didn't Rossmann go over this? He has schematics for most/all the Macbooks so he would know.
>>
>not physically disconnecting the webcam
>>
>>57009521
>>57009526
>>57009529
>>57009531
>>57009540
>>57009546
>>57009551
>>57009554
>>57009567
>not disassembling your laptop and cutting the plug from to the webcam
>>
>>57009575

This, took the entire camera board out of my ThinkPad.
>>
File: 2016-10-10-013314.jpg (207KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-10-013314.jpg
207KB, 1280x720px
>>57009554
I just have a piece of Scotch Tape over my webcam. It doesn't black out the image, but blurs it enough to render things unrecognizable.

Pic related. What color panties am I wearing?
>>
>>57009574
>Some, at least.
... is that not enough? is the cost of putting some tape on your webcam sufficiently high that you need overwhelming proof?

>DIdn't Rossmann go over this?
I honestly have no idea; If I knew what you were talking about, I'd have preempted the claim.

I'm looking at a Washington Post article (below) that says it can be done, and unless there's a plethora of evidence convincingly showing that there's no way for a more modern laptop's webcam indicator light to be left off while the camera is on, I don't see the point in taking such a chance.

The FBI director and Mark Zuckerberg have covers on their webcams. If Zuckerberg is covering his webcam, he probably knows something about invasive shit. That's like his entire business.

wapo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2013/12/18/research-shows-how-macbook-webcams-can-spy-on-their-users-without-warning/
>>
>>57009551
I cut a tiny plastic tape (so that it fits the little square/circle/whatever the camera sits in) and place it over it.

That way I'm covered and at the same time don't have to constantly answer "why is there tape over your camera?" questions when I bring my laptop anywhere.
>>
>>57009554
Ah you see, band aid has no glue in the middle this means you and tear it off and have crisp quality as usual instead of glue riddled glass.
>>
>>57009575
This, don't forget the microphone too
>>
>>57009582
>>57009575
I use my webcam occasionally. literally everyone i've ever met who hasn't had a webcam has either been a pajeet or someone with such intense autism that they immediately became the alienated freak of the group.
>>
>>57009614
Where do you think you are normie?
>>
>>57009620
neo-/g/, unfortunately.
>>
>>57009601
Stripy, animu panties.
>>
File: webcam cover.jpg (130KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
webcam cover.jpg
130KB, 1200x630px
>>57009506

Pic related
There is asbolutely no better solution.
>>
>>57009506
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/perv-utopia-light-on-macbook-webcams-can-be-bypassed/
>In addition to standard computer security advice given to combat this behavior—keep your computer patched, don't install malware, and so on—it's commonly suggested that you only use webcams where the activity LED is hardwired to light up whenever the camera is active. Among others, Apple's line of laptops has been identified as having such hardwired LEDs. However, researchers at Johns Hopkins University have published a paper, first reported on by the Washington Post, demonstrating that even this isn't good enough. Some hardwired LEDs turn out to be, well, software controlled after all.

That was from 2013 so maybe they have fixed it by now.

I always use electrical tape.
>>
>>57009506
>A) Surely the webcam light would come on and you would know someone's watching you

this is not true

>B) who actually gives a shit about being seen naked or whatever,

slave's logic. >i didn't want that freedom anyway lolol

OP, you're a cuck
>>
Isn't it a bit irrational though? If someone gains enough control of your machine to see the webcam surely he will see the screen too and all your e-mails and social media messages? And if you still use the webcam for video calls they will also be able to listen to your private conversations.
>>
>>57009669
absolutely. if it's become trivial to get access to someone's webcam without activating the light, then you have much, much bigger problems. but that doesn't mean that the webcam isn't a problem anymore.
>>
>>57009687
Doesn't webcam light controlled by firmware which is not midifiable through standard interface bus?
>>
>>57009669
Embarrassing emails and messages can be denied. Naked pictures pulled from the webcam are a little harder to brush off and strikes on a more intimate level.
>>
>>57009506
>Surely the webcam light would come on
What if it's just a picture for a slip second?
>>
No one wants to see your flab don't worry guys
>>
>>57009697
we've already discussed the fundamental question here - there's sufficient evidence to cast doubt on the supposed guarantee that the light has to turn on whenever the webcam turns on.

if the cost of covering the webcam were high, i agree that it would be irresponsible to take action without more convincing evidence, but given how "cheap" (in terms of time, money, etc...) it is to cover your bases, all you should really need is some reasonable doubt.
>>
>>57009506
The 2016 MacBook with Retina display does not have this problem, as the webcam LED is in series with the webcam power.
>>
>>57009506
>>
>>57009726
i don't think anyone here is afraid that people are masturbating to us. the substantive concern is that someone will use embarrassing photos of us to extort something we have - not even necessarily money, but access to some other resource we have, for instance.

but if you're the sort of person who thinks that the only use of RAT webcam footage is fapping, then something tells me anyone trying to extort anything from you will find the well dry.
>>
>>57009614
I haven't used a webcam in over 8 years.
>>
>>57009745
do you have an ifixit breakdown pointing to that, or something?

because my guess is that zuckerberg would know about this sort of shit, and the fact that he still covers his webcam tells me that there's something to be concerned about.
>>
>>57009756
wow, that's super interesting.
>>
>>57009764
Wow, you're a retard.
>>
>>57009506
A. Some webcams don't have a light
B. A persistent stalker

Paranoid people
>>
>>57009772
i don't know what you wanted me to say. what was the point of your post? i can feign interest, or surprise, or whatever emotion you were meekly trying to get out of us.
>>
>>57009526
>uses the competitor's browser
>tapes his webcam and mic instead of just asking one of his code monkeys to rip up the macbook and take them out
Sometimes these rich jews look like they're retards or something
>>
>>57009782
The point is the webcams are useless.

I can't think of any reason anyone might use them aside from camwhoring.
>>
Suckerberg does it, the director of the FBI recommends doing so...

But you're surely way more competent regarding online security than these two paranoid twats.
>>
>>57009786
he probably uses them occasionally, so physically breaking them would just be a nuisance.

are you guys really this stupid? are you aware of these issues? if you can just demonstrate some intelligence, then i won't feel like i have to explain this shit and you can make all these "pretending to be retarded" jokes and i won't jump in with logic and shit.
>>
>>57009793
Some people have friends and family they like to video chat with.
>>
>>57009796
>so physically breaking them would just be a nuisance.
what nuisance you retard? asking one of his pajeets to do it while he's doing a video conference with his ultra jew shareholders?
If it gets fucked up just get another pajeet to go buy 5 more macbooks down the street.
>>
>>57009526
>Taping the mic jack
How about just not plugging anything in you dumbfuck. Besides, aren't there mics in that laptop anyway, that you can't just disable easily?
>>
>>57009506
>A) Surely the webcam light would come on and you would know someone's watching you... it's not possible without having downloaded some shit tier software anyway, right?
Do you think people that are watching you without your permission would turn the light on for you?
>B) who actually gives a shit about being seen naked or whatever
People that are not nudists, civilized people
>>
>>57009793
okay. i think this post and the last one you made could've all gone in one post - like i don't think you would've hit the character limit. just saying.

as for
>I can't think of any reason anyone might use them aside from camwhoring.
there are lots of studies concluding that video chats are better on some dimensions for business meetings (given that in-person meetings aren't an option). there's a metric fuckton of papers from the last 15 or so years that talk about people maintaining long distance friendships and romantic relationships with video chatting. i wouldn't call that stuff "camwhoring", unless you've projected some imagined relationship onto chaturbate models.

do you want a list of references on video chatting in work and stuff? i'm kind of assuming that you're not actually interested in empirical research, but feel free to correct me.
>>
>>57009819
Poke them with a needle. Or disassemble it and pull the plug / cut wire.
>>
>>57009832
Sure, but that's on a whole other level of just putting some tape somewhere. Personally I don't want to permanently disable my mics, and I'm not confident enough to disable my laptop and phone to disable the mics temporarily.
>>
>>57009506
the people who do not cover thier web cams are the same people still not using an encrypted email service lol
>>
>>57009814
>what nuisance you retard? asking one of his pajeets to do it while he's doing a video conference with his ultra jew shareholders?
wow that sure was filled with rage, considering how innocuous my post was.

the nuisance is that physically disconnecting a webcam means that it's not usable, and needs to be reconnected if he wants to use it. so either you're talking about buying another MBP whenever he wants to video chat with someone (and are you serious about this suggestion?), or you're talking about the pajeet going back in and physically reconnecting the webcam.
>>
So if you don't go to any sketchy sites, don't carelessly download sketchy programs, have ad-block disabled and there is no one targeting you for an attack how could someone end up getting access to your webcam?
>>
File: apple-rmbp-left.jpg (213KB, 800x495px) Image search: [Google]
apple-rmbp-left.jpg
213KB, 800x495px
>>57009819
why post? it's really easy to google this shit. wouldn't that be easier than asking stupid questions?
>>
>>57009843
Rewire it and put a small physical switch somewhere convenient.
>>
>>57009853
How's any of that a nuisance when he probably has 10 macbooks lying around for different purposes? He can just use one for family stuff and a another one with no webcam or mic for coding.
Stop grasping at straws and defending this dumb jew.
>>
>>57009868
Because I wanted to discuss how stupid he is, based on what I think the answer is. I'm not really looking for the answer.
>>57009873
Did you read all of my comment? Because that seems almost impossible.
>>
>>57009859
if you're targeted for espionage (the way the FBI director or mark zuckerberg would be), i think it's impossible to anticipate every possible vector for attack. all it would take is a few seconds with the laptop left unsupervised, or potentially malware delivered remotely via an ad, for instance (not unprecedented).

even with ad blocking, considering a fair number of ad blockers are shit at it and let some ads through for a fee (and then later realized they whitelisted ads carrying malware), there's almost an infinite number of possible vectors.
>>
>>57009879
>How's any of that a nuisance when he probably has 10 macbooks lying around for different purposes?
why would he do that? why would anyone do that?

you seem to imagine wealthy people expressing their wealthy by just owning multiples of the stuff you own. that's retarded. stop acting like a retard or we're going to think that's what you are.

this isn't even grasping at straws. this is me trying to prevent a total retard from becoming the prevailing voice on /g/. take a walk and think about how stupid you're being.
>>
I just put a little piece of black electrical tape over the camera lens but not over the light. I want to actually know if the light comes on. If for whatever reason I get a webcam that actually clips to my computer monitor, I'll just unplug and put it in a drawer whenever I don't need it.
>>
>>57009859
Intel Management Engine
systemd
NT kernel
>>
>>57009902
expressing their wealth*
>>
>>57009761
>because my guess is that zuckerberg would know about this sort of shit
No he fucking wouldn't.
>>
>>57009902
>we're going to think that's what you are.
>we
>why would he do that? why would anyone do that?
Cause there's millions of dollars at stake you mong.
Now kill yourself and go back >>>/v/
>>
>>57009913
his entire business is invasive data mining. something tells me he knows this shit. i'm willing to bet he has people working on this shit.
>>
>>57009914
please stop acting like a retard. i'm serious. you're not helping yourself.

or at least trip like the other fucking retards on this board so we can all establish a history of you being hilariously stupid and irrational.
>>
File: 1447617198855.png (219KB, 340x368px) Image search: [Google]
1447617198855.png
219KB, 340x368px
>>57009521
>>57009531
>>57009653
>there's evidence that webcams can be activated without the indicator light turning on.
There is evidence that electricity now ignores some components that are connected in series using software? That must be a breakthrough.
>>
>>57009924
i've asked several times now - can you point to the ifixit page or whatever other breakdown that definitively shows the light is wired in series? i'm not disagreeing that this would be compelling evidence, but you've offered no actual evidence.
>>
>>57009923
>please stop acting like a retard.
like you are right now? lmao kys
>>
>>57009941
no, like this. exactly like this.
>>
>>57009946
nah like i said kys and do yourself a favor
>>
>>57009631
Laptop with a physical cutoff switch for the webcam. But that's hard enough to find for the radio. A laptop with a physical switch for cam and mic would be insane.
>>
>>57009793
Work. When having remote meetings, it keeps people from dialing in, hitting mute, and ignoring.

With the video, they at least pay some attention.
>>
>>57009924
>There is evidence that electricity now ignores some components that are connected in series using software?

> connected in series using software?

it's pretty clear here you are clueless about how electronics and circuit work
>>
>>57010042
don't engage with him. he's either going to come back with some stupid retort about how you can send more information via text or he's going to have a tantrum and emotionally shut down
>>
>>57009772
lmao that undisguised manchild asspain
>>
>>57010053
i keep asking for some teardown or something and it's almost like these people parroting "connected in series" don't actually know what they're talking about and i'm beginning to fear that you and i are the only sane people left on this planet
>>
>>57009526
He's retarded, he had a password of dadada
>>
>>57009601
none. you're wearing a diaper.
>>
>>57009906
Top meme, lad
>>
>>57009916
The fact he is dealing with so much data is the reason why he wouldn't know for sure. Just like now the NSA is gathering so much data they can't process it fast enough to prevent terrorist activity, he handles so much shit that separating fact from rumor would be impossible.
>>
>>57009906
You gotta be over 18 to be here
>>
>>57010129
that's some weirdly twisted logic. it's one thing to say that the NSA has more data than it knows what to do with, but it's another to say that the NSA doesn't know what surveillance tools exist and are possible.

i think it's fair to say that facebook/zuckerberg don't have any real insight on all the data they have - they almost certainly have messaging logs of people extorting one another, talking about crimes, etc... and yet they're not even at a place right now where they can have a conversation about whether it would be ethical or not to turn those people in to the relevant authorities. but that's totally unrelated to the meta question of what methods and tools might possibly exist.

if zuckerberg isn't paying people to figure out subtler and subtler ways to listen in on people's conversations and eavesdrop on stuff, i would be shocked. if he's not keeping himself apprised of the sorts of stuff that malware exploits are capable of, that would be kind of surprising. less surprising than if he wasn't employing people to figure out how to listen in on people passively and whatnot, but still surprising.

whether he has any idea what to do with that data is a totally separate matter.
>>
I don't put a bandaid on my webcam. I like the thought of a NSA agent fapping to me fapping on porn. It makes me super hard.
>>
>>57010053
>cherry picking part of a sentence to make it mean something else
Though I can understand how you could get that. Let me rewrite it for you in another manner that means the same thing
>There is evidence that, using software, electricity now ignores some components that are connected in series?
>>
>>57010206

Why exactly would you connect your webcam in series with an LED?
>>
>>57010263
So that it lights up when the webcam is in use.
>>
>>57010263
in principle, it would be a smart idea as a guarantee that the webcam is never on without the light indicating it.

in practice, i can imagine that it would be controlled by software, especially in the event that the light fails for some unforeseeable reason, and teenagers still wanting to video chat or whatever
>>
>actually owning a webcam
>2010+6
>>
>>57010285
>using the x+y joke
>in 2016
jesus.
>>
>>57010273

You could do the same thing with parallel connection without the problem of

1. the webcam and the LED must have the same amount of current passing through, while in actual usage, the current draw of a webcam is much higher than an LED

2. if the LED is broken, now the webcam will not work

3. if the LED is in series, its brightness will change with the current draw of the webcam

while the benefit is small, because if you want to make sure the webcam is not operating, it is far more secured to just physically block it.
>>
>>57010313
You're right. What they mean is that the LED shares the same power line as the webcam itself, so the webcam can't get power without powering the LED as well.

What's more likely happening in many cases is that there is a microcontroller which has one output towards the LED and another towards the webcam and both outputs should turn on at the same time, but if you can address and reprogram that microcontroller as in >>57009605 then you can change the behavior.
>>
I'm using a FOSS OS without any proprietary packages. Go ahead and tell me Dell's UEFI is using my webcam.
>>
>macfag
IIRC the webcam led indicator on those can be controlled by software, making it useless
>>
>>57009506

It's biometric "continuous auth" in the auth market, layered-auth-framework delivers next-gen auth systems, every market has a holy grail
>>
>>57010421
there are people saying that it's hardwired, and there are people saying that's not verified, and there are people saying that it's been broken as of 2013 (but maybe not since then), and finally there are people saying that it's definitely software-controlled.

i said at the outset that there's enough doubt that you should just cover it anyway (unless someone unearths compelling evidence to trust that the light is hardwired to the webcam), but don't make certain claims like the one you made unless you're prepared to back it up.
>>
I disabled webcam in device manager, wonder if that's good enough...
>>
If the FBI guy does it
>>
>>57010827
i don't know of any conclusive evidence, but my guess is that it's not. honestly, this goes back to the cost/benefit analysis. if you think there's even a 1% chance that the device manager is insufficient, and it takes you like 10 seconds to fully resolve the problem (with literally *any* adhesive, apparently), then why not just take the 10 seconds to solve your problem?

hell, this way you could re-enable it in the device manager and not deal with that added hassle when you DO want to video chat.
>>
>>57009506
The state TV in my country pretty much advised people to do this.

fuck you
>>
>>57010833
yes if you'd searched for "FBI" in this thread before posting you would've seen like 5 other posts mentioning it. thank you for your super shitty contribution.
>>
>>57009521
>>57009526
>>57009529
>>57009531
>>57009540
>>57009546
>>57009551
>>57009554
>>57009567
>>57009582

>not using a black marker pen
>not cleaning it up with spiritus

dumbasses, all of you
>>
>>57010860
>having to clean shit up
stickers, dude. jesus.
>>
>>57010874
>stickering your shit up
That would look terrible; the marker pen is a much better solution if you don't use your camera, if at all.
>>
>>57010847

The state TV
>>
>>57009506
The german government is handing out webcam stickers for free. Really made me think.
>>
>>57010886
The Arc S had a A+ design, Jesus. I'd definitely buy a remake of it with recent internals.
>>
File: 1459200425758.png (2MB, 1681x1358px) Image search: [Google]
1459200425758.png
2MB, 1681x1358px
>>57010886

tfw you realize everyone is monitored and your netsec is in the loop instead of counteroppin you
>>
>>57009521
>that certain webcams
FTFY
>>
>>57010848
Thank you for your super shitty contribution as well
>>
>>57009521
It is the simplest way to have the light turn on with the webcam, so there's no doubt the majority of devices are designed that way.
>>
>>57009506
I watched Citizen Four and now I'm afraid of the US government checking up on me.
>>
>having webcam on first place
>>
>>57010938
i kinda thought that went without saying, but sure, add whatever clarifiers you need.
>>
>>57010956
it also breaks the webcam functionality if the light ever breaks for some reason, so it would make more sense for the manufacturer to make them function independently so that if the light is broken the webcam still works.

remember that laptop manufacturers aren't in the business of putting security first. they're making consumer electronic devices. the first priority is convenience and marketability for the consumer. if people complained that the webcam wasn't working and it turned out it was because their lights broke or something, then they'd get unfavorable reviews and whatnot.
>>
>>57011062
>it also breaks the webcam functionality if the light ever breaks for some reason
Yea, but you'll be rid of the computer before the LED breaks and, if it does, you can just fix it. The only other ways to do it are more circuits and maybe software, which is expensive. LEDs are pretty reliable, dude.
>>
>>57009506
>webcam light would come on
You wouldn't notice it while you abuse your meat
>>
i always make it a point to put electrical tape over a laptops webcam, i even do it to my friends for their own good
>>
>>57009551
In all products?Milenials... let me tell ya...
>>
>>57011109
>Yea, but you'll be rid of the computer before the LED breaks and, if it does, you can just fix it. The only other ways to do it are more circuits and maybe software, which is expensive. LEDs are pretty reliable, dude.
i'm not worried about the LED lifespan expiring. i'm not even sure what the lifespan is but i'd be amazed if a webcam indicator light ever went out for that reason. i'm more concerned about shitty wiring or poor assembly or something like that.

people would not bother to bring their laptops in to get serviced if the webcam light went out. if the webcam itself went out, that would be a different story.

it's all about failing as gracefully as possible. i agree there's room for interpretation on whether it's more graceful for the webcam to stop working when the indicator light fails (for whatever reason), but to me the reductio ad absurdum of hard serial wiring is that maybe the laptop would simply never boot if it couldn't guarantee certain things (like the battery being first-party, the webcam indicator light functioning, etc...).

i realize that's taking the argument to an extreme end, but on one extreme we decouple everything so that any single failure doesn't affect anything else, and on the other hand we couple everything so that any sign of failure triggers a safeguard to avoid any other possible failures.
>>
>>57011134
>MacBooks are set up in such a way
>>
>>57009506
No. Not this thread again. Are we gonna just quote a bunch of shit from a previous thread from months/years back?
>>
>>57011190
we're like 120 posts in. if you're going to moan about "this thread again", do it earlier on.
>>
>>57011178
>i'm more concerned about shitty wiring or poor assembly or something like that.
Then you'd have a problem with or without the LED.

The rest of your post is just pure nonsense that isn't grounded in reality and has no bearing on real world designs, sorry.
>>
>>57009669
>people are fapping, that's all
You can see what kind of sick porn I'm watching, you can hear me talk some shit and even hear me moan, but you can't see me beat my pathetic meat and cover my laptop in cum after which I'll still use it every day.I you have that on vid you could black mail my sorry feel ass.
>>
>>57011134
>Milenials... let me tell ya..
>Milenials
How old are you?
>>
>>57009804
>>57009786
Yea people have lives, not everyone is a neckbeard neet.
>>
>>57011203
if the wiring with the LED is shitty then that's not a bigger problem than the LED. that's just a problem with the LED.

if you're too stupid to understand the rest of the post, go take a nap or something. it wasn't that complicated.
>>
>>57011246
>if the wiring with the LED is shitty then that's not a bigger problem than the LED. that's just a problem with the LED.
Are you possibly illiterate? But yes, I'd consider poor construction to be a bigger problem than the LED possibly malfunctioning and disabling a webcam. So, like I said, if construction is poor enough to cause failure of the webcam, it's probably poor enough to risk failures in other parts of the device.
>if you're too stupid to understand the rest of the post, go take a nap or something.
I didn't say I didn't understand it, I said it was delusional.
>>
I have the mic+webcam disabled in device manager, click a link in firefox and everything is enabled,no dialog, nothing, think about it!
>>
>>57009786
Jew is baiting and everyone took the bait.
when I take selfies I make sure whatever's behind me looks fancy so that I can get maximum bitches.
>>
>>57010273
>not using a resistor and an NPN transistor to amplify the tiniest current used by webcam to light up an LED and an audible buzzer alarm
>>
>>57009551
There was an exploit some number of years ago where you could turn the camera on and leave the light off by sending a corrupt packet to it through USB.
>>
>>57009521
/thread
>>
File: 1463453178503.png (56KB, 974x715px) Image search: [Google]
1463453178503.png
56KB, 974x715px
Electrical tape + hole punch.

Thank me later.
>>
>>57009506
It is a stupid fucking meme. Most of my colleagues do this, but I refuse. If someone has access to my webcam, then they must also have access to a lot more. At the point where they can snap a pic of your face, you've already lost. So I say let them have it.
>>
>>57009924
in a lot of the cases, they aren't wired in series.
It'd often not make sense to do so, it's just implemented in the cam driver's firmware
>>
>>57011672
I'm more concerned about vulns in the webcam firmware than I am my OS.
>>
File: 1458964386916.jpg (68KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1458964386916.jpg
68KB, 429x410px
>>57009506
>not using linux and just enable/disable kernel module when needed

kids these days
>>
>>57011672
only intelligent post ITT
>>
>>57011721
>>57011699
I'm also checking if the tape is damaged... sometimes. :^)
>>
>>57011690
Webcam firmware vulnerabilities like what, the camera having a separate network adapter & IP stack allowing it to connect to the internet independently from the host so it can be accessed and controlled? If someone can take a picture of you, they're in a position to do waaay more than just that.
>>
>>57011810
Who knows what vulnerabilities lurk in my proprietary BIOS and who knows how they relate to any vulnerabilities in my webcam.
>>
>>57009506
>Surely the webcam light would come on and you would know someone's watching you
It entirely depends on your software. For some cams the LED is wired directly to the camera's power source so if the camera is powered so is the LED. For others, the LED is controlled by the camera and when the camera turns on it turns the LED on, which can be abused.
>who actually gives a shit about being seen naked or whatever, especially if you're not female. There's a whole webcamming industry out there
Oh I see, this is just a shitty bait thread
>>
>>57009819
I'm the guy who originally posted this. I'm not sure if you were referring to me though. I don't even have a laptop. My mother has an ancient one though, but it has no webcam built-in.
>>
Retarded normies who think they're being secure.

Its like having a gun in your house and hoping no one would touch it.

Best security is to not have it in the first place.
>>
>>57009958
Holy shit, I can only hope that this is some medium level trolling right here.
>>
>>57009786
Didn't you know that people who develop or shill garbage, rarely use that shit themselves?

Why would they? They have the money and power to use the better options.
>>
>>57010882
Nigga, some black electrical tape placed neatly looks significantly better than doodling on your fucking laptop with a sharpie like a fucking retard.
>>
>>57011810
...can they rape you?
>>
>>57011959
True,also the case is black and later on I might want to talk to some bimbo on skype!
>>
>>57010263
>>57010313
You should read the preceding posts before responding. The point is that it is unlikely that that is how it's done, and therefore there is a way to operate the camera without the light turning on.
>>
>>57009885
>Because I wanted to discuss how stupid he is, based on what I think the answer is. I'm not really looking for the answer.

So... shitpost.

You wanted to shitpost.
>>
>>57012012
No not at all, I do not think my post has no value. The degree of his stupidity directly corresponds to technological discussion in this case.
>>
>>57012026
But, he didn't tape the mic jack. He taped where the mic would be located. So he's not stupid, you're just ignorant.
>>
File: 500px-SS-Panzer_hat.jpg (57KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
500px-SS-Panzer_hat.jpg
57KB, 500x600px
would disabling webcam from windows device manager suffice?
>>
>>57009506
> -nsa
>>
>>57009506
if you don't care, why do you care other people care?
>>
>>57012120
Absolutely not. If they can get in to access your camera without you knowing, then they have the ability to re-enable it if it's been disabled at only the software level.
>>
>>57012155

this is the correct line of reasoning. why would he care?
>>
>>57009521
fpbp
>>
>>57011978
>obtain webcam access
>case the house for weeks
>break in
>raep
they can't do it through the webcam, but could certainly use it to study your habits and know when you're home for the night
>>
>>57009793
I'm european and my GF is American. We use it to video chat when we are apart (we usually live together in Europe). She also uses it to call family when she's over here.
>>
>>57009611
This, took the keyboard out of my laptop
>>
>>57012098
Wait, so the article is wrong? Because that's what I commented on.
>>
>>57009506
>buying a laptop with a webcam
>>
>>57012352
Probably. It's just people guessing based on the picture that you can see.

Given the way that macbooks are designed though, that's probably where the mic is.
>>
File: Scared_finn.jpg (22KB, 431x275px) Image search: [Google]
Scared_finn.jpg
22KB, 431x275px
>>57012246
OHH NO, MUH BOIPUCCI IS IN DANGER!!
AaaAAAAAuUUU!! :^)
>>
>>57012688
Well, if I'd use the pictures from this thread, it seems to me that it's over the USB port actually. On >>57009526 it looks like the tape is on the upper edge of capslock, and on >>57009868 it looks that the USB port is there, and maybe the jack.
In any case, it does not look like he covered that actual mic in my opinion. I also doubt that would really accomplish much, considering sound would likely still travel through tape.
>>
>>57009924
Almos on every single webcam indicator led is just a led hardcoded to become HIGH when camera turned on on firmware. You can modify firmwares. Dumb anime poster.
>>
>>57012725
Probably. To be honest, I really don't know why I'm defending Faggotberg. He probably is an incompetent.

4chan has truly made me a cray-cray ultra-contrarian.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
>>57009506
Why not just unplug the actual webcam cable from the main board in the laptop and use a cheap USB webcam when you need it? That's what I did and I don't look autistic with a sticker on my computer.
>>
File: 1410100587703.gif (542KB, 311x283px) Image search: [Google]
1410100587703.gif
542KB, 311x283px
>>57012717
>>
>>57012725
>considering sound would likely still travel through tape
But it would be muffled and unintelligible.
>>
>>57012949
I'm not too sure about it being unintelligible.
>>
Windows whatever: Couldn't you just destroy drivers and registry data for the mic and cam?
>>
>>57012860
You really have to be looking to notice a tiny piece of black electrical tape on a black bezel.
>>
>>57009506
Well I am a female and I do mind being seen naked (;
<- also

I don't use tape though, I mostly use my desktop and have it unplugged. On my laptop is disabled in device manager (also has a notification led).
>>
i wish someone would turn on my webcam and watch me masturbate
>>
>>57009526
As a celebrity, I also cover it. It can ruin your career
>>
Any reason to do this if I use arch linux?
>>
>>57009506
A chick I've done once had that.

Bandaids are fucking disgusting. Ugh, still getting shivers from that.
>>
>>57013286
>Bandaids are fucking disgusting
pour melting plastic on it
>>570129581
>unintelligible

Just a bunch of random ppl talking with cocks in their mouth
>>
>>57009506
>People who put Band-aids over their webcams
>A) Surely the webcam light would
>come on and you would know someone's watching you... it's not possible without having downloaded some shit tier software anyway, right?

"Sincerely,
Retard"
>>
>>57013200
>I will bring my tits into the conversation, then maybe anon-kun will notice me.
There's far better/more appreciated ways of bringing your tits into a conversation.
>>
>>57013542
I know, but I was not the one. Read the OP again.
>>
>>57013286
>Bandaids are fucking disgusting.

Cool. People are then even less likely to touch your laptop.
>>
I taped just the webcam led, problem solved.
>>
File: 1472696505821.png (156KB, 453x400px) Image search: [Google]
1472696505821.png
156KB, 453x400px
Does disabling the webcam for my T420 through the BIOS help any or is it just as useless?
>>
>>57009506
You have never had a program snap a pic and try to upload it. After that shit I covered it.

Thankfully I cut my internet before it finished uploading so nobody got to see my fat ass nude figure.

also it is an apple sticker, as I was eating it while I was waiting for something else to load. A band-aid just seems wired. Would put proper blackout electrical tape but never really bothered.
>>
>>57009930
You don't need it to be wired in series.

All you need is a load switch placed infront of the cam's circuit. Your led would be in parallel with the camera. The only way the camera would be able to be turned on is if the load switch is switched on, ergo the led is on.

Figuring out how its actually set up would take a ten, fifteen min at most with a MM and microscope.
>>
>>57014140
I would not trust anything that isn't hardware related. I think I've seen proof of the NSA being able to get shit running that's connected to your PC, regardless of what you've done to disable it softwarewise.
>>
>>57009506
why dont modern laptops come with a hardware switch to disconnect mic/camera? it seems like this would be fairly simple to add
>>
>>57009610
I have a small value coin serve the same purpose with electrical tape
>>
>>57014648
Just disable it in device manager or the equivalent of your OS. If you really think the nsa is watching you your webcam is the least of your worries
>>
>>57014648
Because then people could actually turn them off.
>>
>>57014602
Yeah, but...fucken dude...if you're doing something so damn bad that the motherfucking NSA is after you, there is literally nothing that will stop them and you have far, far worse problems to worry about than your webcam.
>>
>>57015240
I didn't say that it only applies if the NSA is after you.
>>
>>57015257
Well there are very, very few groups with the capabilities and resources to do as you describe, hacking/cracking through on literally the lowest levels your electronics, and the NSA is among them.
>>
>>57015299
I'd classify al cyber crime groups as very very few groups. And to just say it's not a problem because not a lot of people can do it, without it being based on physical resources, seems stupid.
>>
>>57014648
It's called a load switch, a electrical switch which has very low "off" current leakage. A well designed battery powered device should have one infront of sub systems and components to minimize power usage when you're not using them.
>>
>>57015358
Well I never said it wasn't a problem, nor did I intend to imply that, even if it may have come off as such.

My ultimate point is that if you have any of these groups after you, targeting you specifically, you have more things to worry about than your webcam.

Of course it's still good personal security as far as passive security goes and steps should still be taken to mask yourself as much as you can. I'm not saying otherwise.
>>
>>57015402
>My ultimate point is that if you have any of these groups after you, targeting you specifically, you have more things to worry about than your webcam.
I disagree with that.
>>
>>57015439
Well OK then.
>>
I've used both. Band-aid is far better. It doesn't get sticky goop all over your camera lens/flash, and it doesn't turn into a sticky mess all over your device in a few days. If it's too unfashionable for you, go back to waving your iPhone around at Starbucks.
>>
>>57009634
>>>57009506 (OP)
>http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/perv-utopia-light-on-macbook-webcams-can-be-bypassed/
>>In addition to standard computer security advice given to combat this behavior—keep your computer patched, don't install malware, and so on—it's commonly suggested that you only use webcams where the activity LED is hardwired to light up whenever the camera is active. Among others, Apple's line of laptops has been identified as having such hardwired LEDs. However, researchers at Johns Hopkins University have published a paper, first reported on by the Washington Post, demonstrating that even this isn't good enough. Some hardwired LEDs turn out to be, well, software controlled after all.
>That was from 2013 so maybe they have fixed it by now.
>I always use electrical tape.
Maybe usually means no in the corporate world
>>
>owning a laptop
Why would you do this if you already own a desktop?
>>
>>57016036
Because you look kind of dump carrying the desktop with you everywhere.
>>
>>57016094
If a smart person looks dumb, what's the problem?
>>
>>57012958
I assume he tested it at least once.
>>
>>57016268
He? You mean the poster? That seems to assume a lot.
>>
>>57009506
a. My MacBook stopped receiving updates about 3 years ago. The camera can be turned on without the led showing
b. Scammers, blackmail people about sending nudes to work/relatives
>>
>>57014338
>You have never had a program snap a pic and try to upload it.

What the fuck programs are you downloading ffs
>>
>>57009601
Peering through Scotch tape I'd have to say tartan
>>
>>57009819
It's in case someone else plugs something into it and he doesn't notice.
>>
>>57011672
>I don't like it, so I call it a meme
Since when are people doing this?
>>
>>57011978
Yes, with their eyes.
>>
>>57009506

>Can someone who knows about computers please explain this to me?

Yes. Most people talk about tech stuff as if they were hot shit but they're secretly not confident enough about their systems being secure or just plain incompetent to manage them. For these people webcams and networks are like witchcraft, and being unable to understand their working they have to resort to using measures that they can understand such as physically blocking the camera. That's all there is to it.
>>
File: trump-clinton-debates-stare.jpg (16KB, 405x229px) Image search: [Google]
trump-clinton-debates-stare.jpg
16KB, 405x229px
>>57017324
>>57011978
>>
>>57009786
>be autistic and require that microphone and webcam be removed
or
>put tape over it

hes a human being too
>>
>>57009506
I had a girl who told me she put it on her Surface for this reason:
>was undressing
>her Surface suddenly woke up from sleep and started making noises
>>
>>57017383
What was he trying to convey in this scene?
>>
>webcam can turn on without the light on
This is what I'm confused about. Will the light still turn on if you try to use the webcam yourself?
>>
>go to class
>notice a student sitting infront of me with a piece of paper tapped over his webcam

why don't you autists stand up and tell the class you're a porn watching degenerate?
>>
>>57017473
Pretty sure all laptop webcams are designed in such a way that the led must come on when the webcam draws power. I think I've heard of a macbook exploit though.
>>
I honestly kek to myself when I'm on campus and see all these girls using laptops with the webcam taped off
>>
>>57017500
Yes I've heard of the macbook exploit, but we don't usually use MacBooks around here
>>
>>57015400
No, I mean a physical on/off switch i have to flick
>>
>>57009506
I just run a continuous loop thru my webcam of the neighbor's dogs shitting in their backyard. Could care less who sees it.
>>
>>57018568
*couldn't
Thread posts: 235
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.