[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 48

My brother accidentally kicked the power cord to the computer (running Ubuntu), and it shut off.
Now when I try to turn it on, it shows the Ubuntu logo a bit bigger then normal with about 5 orbs loading, and once they're fully loaded, nothing seems to happen until I hit the power button.
This makes it restore to normal resolution. The orbs refill again, and it shuts off.
If I hit Ctrl+Alt+F6 I see this message:
[ ***  ] A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes up (3m 22s / no limit)_

How long do I have to wait? What other tactics should I look into. Is the computer bricked? Can using the Ubuntu install iso on a USB stick fix this, with a repair option?

I'm about to go to mass, so I'd have to make a new USB before I can try this option. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
Install Gentoo. Seriously, Ubuntu is shit.
>>
>>57002495
I use Calculate Linux for my personal computer and laptop, but this is a family computer. It's difficult enough to ease them into babby-mode Linux, without taking risks and using less reliable but more elitist bleeding edge software.

I know Unity has some crappy botnet things, but I use other DE's so I don't think that is a big problem, and even Richard M. Stallman admits that Ubuntu puts you must closer to freedom then Windows or OSX.
>>
>>57002465

Can I program video games or enter cyber security if I am a computer engineer?
>>
>>57002656
>if I am a computer engineer?
"computer engineer"? That sounds like an arbitrary title based on a piece of paper you got from college.
Tech companies don't care about your degree or your fake paper qualifications. They care about your skills.
You should ask
>What, broadly speaking, is the intersection between the skillsets of a designing games and securing computer systems, so I know how to start on my broad skills before I commit to my more specialized skills?
>Which of these areas is generally more emotionally rewarding and fulfilling for those involved.
>Which one has a better pay check at start-up, and which one offers better opportunities for a raise.
>>
>>57002465
Yer fucked duder.
>>
File: nightmare vision goggles.jpg (38KB, 680x329px) Image search: [Google]
nightmare vision goggles.jpg
38KB, 680x329px
>>57002737
>[ ***] A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes up (3m 22s / no limit)_
>[ *** ] A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes up (1h 18m 45s / no limit)_
>over an hour later.
>I seem to still be fucked.
Do I have hope guys? Please tell me this guy is ill-informed.
>>
>>57002656

computer science would be an easier degree to get compared to engineering and you'll get those jobs.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STEA4000400/dp/B017KE8OG0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TKFEE8K/

What would the difference between these two be? Desktop seems to have a slightly higher RPM (5900 vs 5400). Would there be any difference in longevity / failure rate between 3.5" and 2.5"? Is there a benefit to external power?
>>
Is there a difference between 1600 Mhz and 1866 Mhz DDR3 RAM?

I'm upgrading a computer with 4 GB of 1866.
My brother bought me a 16 GB stick as a gift but it's 1600 Mhz.

I don't wanna mix frequencies. Should I toss out the old ram despite the new one being "slower"?
>>
Is there a free,as in libre, imageboard software?
Moot is jew and wont libre
>>
>>57003153
moot is dead, it's all about hiro now
>>
How do I download chromium for windows?
>>
>>57003232
I'll tell you if you help me figure out what's wrong with my Ubuntu glitch, and how I should try to fix it, because I'm gettin' pretty scared.
>>
>>57003232
Don't bother. It doesn't have any self updating capabilities. Deal killer.
>>
>>57003271
I solved my own answer http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html?prefix=Win/424107/
>>
>>57003313
>I solved my own answer http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html?prefix=Win/424107/
I know how to help you figure out how to update this automatically, like this guy said, >>57003301
if you help me figure out what's wrong with my Ubuntu situation, and how to fix it.
>>
>>57003342
I'm a noob, sorry
>>
Is it possible to back up an Office 2013 license? I have one on my laptop but it's not linked to an MS account or anything - I don't have the serial, can I use some piece of software to extract that?
>>
Anyone using 4chanx and filters?
It seems like the stub option suddenly stopped working for me.

For example I have the following filter:
>/^!Sempai\.oWA$/;stub:no;

But it still displays the post stubs in threads where that trip has been filtered.
>>
>>57003465
They fixed it in AppChan X
>>
Why the hell can't chromium play mp4 on windows?
>>
>>57003342
kek. Holding info ransom. New low /g/
>>
>>57003551
chromium doesn't have support for proprietary codecs by default if I remember right
>>
Does Windows 10 have known issues with copying/moving files between drives? I've had this sequence of events happen like 5 times in the past week.

>Instruct Windows to copy or move a few files, usually totaling 1-4gb, between SSD to HDD
>HDD is usually spun down from being idle
>The file transfer window opens, but doesn't move. It's stuck at 0%.
>Assume that Windows needs to send the instruction to spin up the HDD
>HDD spin up never happens
>Other processes begin to behave strangely and eventually stop working altogether
>BSOD

I really don't think this is a hardware issue. I'm usually a Debian/Mint user and this hasn't happened at all in Linux. I'm in Windows because I'm using some disc imaging tools that are Windows only. This is making the whole process very annoying.
>>
Is there a business degree that can pay me 50+K a year? I couldn't cut it in the intro to EE course. I'm planning to change majors to business, but I'm not sure what's a good business degree. I want to work in the tech field area at least.
>>
>>57003232
check http://chromium.woolyss.com/
There you can find also an extension that will help you keep it updated.
If you don't like it just check on that page from time to time, it tells you what version are you running and gives you links to the new updates.
>>
>>57003589
kek, not helping OP unconditionally. Old low /g/.

Do you also bitch when the grocery store holds food ransom for money, ya dumb commie?
>>
I'm using a raspberry pi as a seedbox and I want to be able to share the files I get over http with my friends.
I want a http server that'll basically do this: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/
I notice at the bottom it says Apache, but can anyone link me a guide to get this done or perhaps give some keywords I can use to find guides?
>>
>>57003603
if you are sure those disks are fine then it's a driver problem. Only time I've seen that it takes more than usual to start moving/copying files is if the drive is sleep and has to start spinning up. Check the power settings and check on the HDDs to never turn off, restart and try to move your files.
>>
Oh well, I just uninstalled chromium
>>
>>57003440
http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/
>>
how do you parse strings in python? i'm brand new to it. Specifically, i'm trying to parse the return of getsockname() so i can get the ip and port as different variables. The return format is "(1.1.1.1, 1)"
>>
>>57003650
Turns out apache just auto-generates directory listings if index.html isn't present, sweet.
>>
What do if a lot of the companies hiring in my area are looking for people who need people that know niche languages or really old ones instead of stuff like c and java?
>>
>>57003650
Apache does this by default when pointing to a directory that does not have an index.(html, php, etc)
>>
Is skype using silk or opus?
>>
>>57003850
Be willing to relocate or try to learn. If you have good experience and think you could transfer your skills apply anyway. Worst case is you don't get an interview. Skill requirements are "in a perfect world" not need to have, generally.
>>
Ive got a USB 3.0 to SATA converter, with a 500g seagate plugged in. Windows wont open it, says its unallocated, but when i plug it into my bluray player, its shows all the videos i put on it. Recuva didnt find it, and i cant rename the path name ( maybe its c?) It shows up in Disc management as unallocated drive 1. any help appreciated
>>
>>57003934
What fs did you use?
>>
File: cxm_sata3.jpg (26KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
cxm_sata3.jpg
26KB, 800x520px
If my SATA cables come with multiple SATA heads forked on a single cable, does that mean it's safe to use multiple SATA devices on the same PSU cable?
>>
>>57003986
yes
>>
File: ba73e35a14[1].png (6KB, 736x102px) Image search: [Google]
ba73e35a14[1].png
6KB, 736x102px
i was looking around in the files of an old game, and i found these in the music folders. i know what the .dls is, but what are the other two?
>>
File: NZtg9GQ.png (393KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
NZtg9GQ.png
393KB, 640x360px
Hey /g/

I noticed Amazon is selling an ASUS 1070 Turbo edition.
Is Turbo edition a good version? They're selling it for $390 which is is the cheapest I've seen.
Considering I have a $70 off points discount on Amazon. I think I might just do it.
Good idea? Or is ASUS Turbo a bad 1070 model?
>>
Difference between uTox and qTox?
https://tox.chat/download.html
>>
File: 1475450228330.jpg (50KB, 756x938px) Image search: [Google]
1475450228330.jpg
50KB, 756x938px
I want to start using Ubuntu (The Gnome one): If i play Skyrim(or any program/game) using a Windows emulator, did it gonna use the "Double" of the capacity of my PC or something??? It is efficient if i use it like this?
Also I just want it because it looks nice.
>>
So I've got a modem with two ports, one of which is used by the router which has 4 ports. Of the 5 available ports, all are taken.

Can I buy a switch to expand the number of ports and plug the router into it, or should I get a modem with more ports? I dont believe I can change the router, due to circumstance outside of my control.
>>
Is there any way to locally store numbers in javascript? I'm making a little goal tracker thing that gives you points each time you complete a goal.
How can I locally store the points so that every time I open the web page the number is the same as I left it?
>>
I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a while ago. Now when I start up my laptop it says "No Operating System Found" how do I fix this without installing windows again?
>>
>>57004274
cookies presumably?
>>
>>57004293
Yeah, I saw that kind of solution but I was confused about how it all works out. I'm still a beginner so maybe I'm doing stuff I don't need to be doing.
>>
I'm trying to use Titanium Backup on my LG G3 and I am having weird problems. I try to backup my apps, but it keeps saying that there is insufficient space on the device even though I have 15gb worth of free space. I read that I have to go into supersu and disable mount namespace or something like that and so I do that and try it again, but I still run into the same error.

The oddest thing to me is that I deleted my previous backup of apps and tried backing up the new ones, but whenever I close and restart titanium backup again, the same apps I deleted before reappear as if I never deleted it 10 times previously. What could be causing this?
>>
File: kiddens.gif (2MB, 330x270px) Image search: [Google]
kiddens.gif
2MB, 330x270px
I just built a new PC.

I am doing the infamous 4 hour Windows Update checklist at the moment, so I have nothing installed but Speccy.

Is it normal to have unusual fluctuating temps for your CPU when everything isn't up-to-date? IE drivers and shit. 36 degrees one second, 40 the next?
i5 6600k is the cpu in question.
>>
Streamci.dll module could not be found. I read on google that this is a problem with the windows default audio driver being either missing or corrupt. I'm going with corrupt on account of my audio still, you know, working.

If sfc doesn't help, is there any reason I can't just take that file from my laptop and manually replace that .dll?
>>
What practical Linux distro should I familiarize myself with?

What are servers typically running these days?
>>
File: firewall.jpg (24KB, 404x271px) Image search: [Google]
firewall.jpg
24KB, 404x271px
I'm running Ubuntu and by default it doesn't have any special iptables rules. It just allows everything. Should I set it to block everything and then whitelist what I need whitelisted? Or am I safe as it is?

I'm on my home network and I trust everyone on it. Am I vulnerable from outside attacks? If someone on my network gets a virus could it successfully attack me? I seed torrents all the time. Is that a possible vector for an attack? Are there only certain services that I should be worried about? If I start an SSH server running for use on my local network am I suddenly vulnerable to brute forcing by anyone?
>>
Any of you that bought g2a/kinguin, ever had any problem? Did you had key banned after a while?
>>
>buy laptop 4 months ago
>new version at a cheaper price is available now
how do i not feel bad about this?
>>
File: lena-meyer-landrut-13511.jpg (390KB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
lena-meyer-landrut-13511.jpg
390KB, 2000x3000px
I plan on finally upgrading from a flip phone soon

is buying a refurb bad idea?
>>
>>57004499
You're alive
>>
>>57004499
Your laptop is better and cheaper than they were in the recent past. And soon the current best ones will be outclassed. Moore's law marches on and we can't wait for it to finish for us to buy laptops.
>>
>>57004499
You know you've got something that works. If there was going to be a recall, or an exploding battery, you'd know by now. Not so with the new version.
>>
File: 1432592971184.jpg (131KB, 800x960px) Image search: [Google]
1432592971184.jpg
131KB, 800x960px
Hi /g/uys what HDD recovery service do you recommend me?
>>
>>57002465
you're probably going to have to reinstall the os
>>
File: bulletman.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bulletman.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
Any good resources for studying how many times a line runs in a simple psuedocode program?

I'm going through Introduction to Algorithms 3rd edition and need more practice.
>>
Any way to get Solaris 10 to support my fucking 802.11 card? DankPad X40 BTW, if that helps.
>>
>>57004534

This. Never buy version 1.0 of anything. Let the million-monkies-million-keyboards testing protocol do its job.
>>
>>57004289

Get a live image, dive in, and see if you can find the problem. Or just back up your precious memes and reinstall. Or back up your precious memes and try a different distro.
>>
>>57004332

4 deg. C isn't that big of a deal bro, and 40's pretty chill desu. If you start seeing something like 60 or 70, then, yeah, it might be time to worry. 40? You're fine.
>>
ClipConverter.cc no longer works for music. Is there anything out there that has some of those features like 320kb/s and chose file name?
>>
File: pr_sharable.jpg (66KB, 720x331px) Image search: [Google]
pr_sharable.jpg
66KB, 720x331px
I plan to buy a ".blog" domain for my blog when the sale starts on november. Is my plan a good one?
>>
>>57004382

Practical for what my dude? There's about a jillion and one applications for an operating system, so knowing a little more about its intended role will do a great deal to help decide on a distro.
>>
>>57004886
youtube-dl
>>
>>57003138
it's a 16GB stick? not two 8GB or four 4GB sticks? what does it say on the sticker? look for something similar to PC3-12800U or a part number if possible. the difference in speed is negligible, but if that's the wrong kind of ram or if it's too large for your motherboard/CPU to support, you'll have issues.

>>57002656
if you have relevant experience, sure. a degree alone won't guarantee you a job in any STEM field.

>>57003612
if you're asking /g/ i doubt you'll make it far, but try MIS. you'll be a corporate drone that everyone hates but you'll make money.

>>57004227
get a switch.

>>57004332
perfectly normal.

>>57004382
CentOS (which is just RedHat) or Debian
>>
>>57004476

Yes. Yes to everything except that last line, which (as I'm reading it, at least) is kind of paradoxical: You seem to be asking if running an SSH host makes you a bigger target, but if you're using it strictly on an intranet (which, BTW, why would you?), the only people who are going to notice you senpai are already going to be up to no good, in which case any encryption can *only* help you.
>>
>>57003465
yes, haven't done much with regex but seems to work fine
/what you're refer+ing to as linux/i;boards:g
/daily/i;boards:g
/flaw/i;boards:g
/on suicide watch/i;boards:g
/btfo/i;boards:b,g
/You have 10 seconds/i;boards:b,g
/stallman/i;boards:g
/install gentoo/i;boards:g
/dubs/i;boards:b,g
/dick rate/i;boards:b
/dick r8/i;boards:b
/weeb/i;boards:b,g
/autis/i;boards:b,g
/only oldfags/i;boards:g
/newfags can't/i;boards:b
/nostalgia/i;boards:g
/botnet/i;boards:g
/ylyl/i;boards:b
/cuck/i;boards:b,g
/reporting in/i;boards:b
/butterfly daddy/i;boards:b,g
/fell for*meme/i;boards:b,g;op:yes;
/boy*pussy/i;boards:b,g
/trap thread/i;boards:b
/name my band/i;boards:b
/name our band/i;boards:b
>>
Where is the cache folder for Discord (Android) stored? I have done a search with a file manager, and nothing for the term Discord comes up.
>>
Stupid question time:

Started wearing tinfoil hat, to prevent mind-reading by HAARP, but now I want to throw off the yoke of Microsoft. Linux is being installed very soon, but on top of that I want a VPN

Which VPN would unbiased professionals recommend that has a no-logging policy, reasonable speed, but zero affiliation with the 5-EYES or NSA or ELINT community?

TL; DR. Best VPN for the paranoid.
>>
>>57005103
Short answer is we don't really know. There's no oversight for these people, all we can go off of is what they tell us, and how good their customer service department is.
>>
>>57003953
nfts
>>
>>57004882
It's still hanging anywhere from 30 degrees or 42d degrees. I'm going to monitor it and if it doesn't cool I'm going to some AIO liquid cooling.
>>
why does my mouse sensitivity feel so high in linux mint and it feels like I have mouse acceleration on when the sensitivity is all the way down and mouse acceleration is turned off
>>
Can I use unbuffered ECC with an i5 4670k? I know it doesn't support the error correction, but will the RAM still work?
>>
>>57004886
>youtube
>320 Kbps
Why would you want to transcode your shitty music to a higher bitrate than the source format ?
This is retarded.
>>
>>57004894
Get 4chan.blog and redirect it to here.
>>
>>57003651
Yeah, I've been using the disks just fine in Linux and have had zero problems. So I know it's not a hardware issue. Windows usually locks up/BSODs if it has to wake the drive up from sleep, but it doesn't happen every single time.

I do use a PCIe RAID card just for additional drives, not in a RAID setup. I'll make sure that the drivers aren't wonky. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>57005343
What's youtube bitrate though? I think it was 192kbps but I'm not sure.
>>
File: youtubedl.png (476KB, 1305x734px) Image search: [Google]
youtubedl.png
476KB, 1305x734px
>>57005382
It depends on the video quality.
Used to be 256 Kbps AAC on high-quality videos, but it seems they've switched over to 160 Kbps OPUS.

Pic related. Also before you ask it's a Firefox plugin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-video-and-audio-dow/
>>
>>57005382
the highest available audio qualty is 160kbps opus, which is pretty good, almost overkill, really
>>
Is there a tierlist of cheap IEM headphones $10-50?
>>
Guys my piece of shit laptop crashed and I have an assignment for tomorrow, I was just finishing the goddamn thing and it crashed in my face, other people are depending on this shit I need help ASAP PLEASE the fucking thing wont turn back on
>>
>>57005472
Does it post? Do you have a desktop somewhere?
>>
>>57003465
Works for me. What version are you on? Browser? Can you export your settings?
>>
>>57005496
Mobile right now only thing I got
>>
>>57005501
Can you get BIOS? If not try power cycling it
>>
>>57005509
Nigga I don't even know what BIOS is, I'm desperate as shit and I'm a tard regarding tech, but I need help
>>
>>57005532
When you press the power button what happens. Does it get the OEM logo or does the screen not turn on
>>
>>57005614
Button is not responding, the screen seems to be tuned on but it's displaying absolutely nothing
>>
>>57005641
Try taking battery out and unplug everything then hold power button for a couple seconds then put it back in and try again
>>
>>57005641
Your best bet is just to take out the hard drive and plug it into a desktop
>>
>>57005653
Forgot to mention it's a piece of shit brazilian laptop, fucking thing doesn't even has a removable battery as far as I can see
>>
>>57005673
Ask your IT department
>>
>>57005673
>>57005667
>>57005653
Pic related it's the piece of shit
>>57005704
Ooh I don't think they can help right now (00:32h)
>>
this is probably asked a lot, but what are some /g related jobs you can do on the side? im talking something you can do in your spare time online while working a full time job. ive considered and tried a few things, freelancer.com or w/e it is, browsing ebay/CL for cheap stuff to resell, etc. but none of it worked out. googling stuff like this generally leads to those shitty scam sites, or those ones that pay you pennies to watch videos and search for stuff. Im not trying to make a lot, just an extra few hundred a month or so
>>
File: IMG-20161010-WA0001.jpg (51KB, 1032x581px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161010-WA0001.jpg
51KB, 1032x581px
>>57005724
Forgot the damn thing AAAAH
>>
>>57005733
Not sure where you are but Airtasker.com seems cool
>>
>>57005335
Ok, sorta answered my own question: removed the RAM in my i7 3770 XPS 8700 and put in a stick of 4GB ECC. It booted.
>>
>>57005742
im in the US. havent heard of that, checking it out now. thanks
>>
Looking for a new laptop.

>Budget
$800AUD
>Performance
i5 minimum
>Uses
Casual Video editing and decent gaming. Diablo 3 and new games on at least medium settings 60fps -> Can sacrifice gaming performance if needed.
>Screen Size
Preferably 15.5" and lightish

was thinking a thinkpad but open to other suggestions.
>>
>>57005673
When you turn on your laptop do you hear scratching or clicking? In which case, your hard drive might have failed.

To answer your next question, no. There is no timely way to recover data off of a hard drive. However, if you do really want to recover your hard dive afterwards, you can take your laptop to a data recovery center, and they will usually be able to recover most of the data on the hard drive.
>>
>>57005791
Thinkpad is a pretty good choice, you might be able to snag up something like a used W540 with such a high budget, maybe even a W550s.

Define lightish, though. Most 15.6" laptops are gonna weigh in at around 2.2 - 2.5kg.
>>
File: 1471170477412.jpg (430KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1471170477412.jpg
430KB, 1536x2048px
Does anyone have the screencap of the riced linux desktop where the guy edited all the system and font colors to match with Akari from yuru yuri?

I can't find it for the life of me and need it for reference. pls help.
>>
I decided I want a twitter account and they keep getting suspended despite that fact that I do nothing on them. How do I run a "virtual machine" on my PC and get a fake phone number?
>>
>>57005864
what is going onnn here
>>
>>57005825
I don't even know if we have that shit around here, well, either way it seems I'm fucked. Thanks anyway guy(s).
>>
>>57005915
you witness an appearance of the ultimate neet
>>
>>57005857
nah that sounds good. thanks for the reality check on the weight though. I think that'll be good.
having trouble finding in in Australia though
>>
>>57005915
Some Saudi prince flew to japan for Comiket. Those are his bodyguards / doujin mules to make his shopping trip easier
>>
File: Untitled.png (35KB, 704x587px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
35KB, 704x587px
>>57005759
Now I have 16GB, and this makes the guy on my CL with 32GB ECC for sale a little more interesting.
>>
I have Windows 7 and Kali Linux installed on my laptop. I want to remove Kali Linux completely without touching Windows 7. How should I go about this?
>>
>budget
Preferably <$300 aud but can go higher
>Performance
Don't particularly care
>Uses
Taking notes for uni/light web browsing.
A stylus would be great
>Screen size
Don't care

Is this impossible for my budget? Basically something like a surface but they're way out of my budget
>>
>>57006216
Go in drive manager or diskmgmt and delete the partition then boot from a live USB and delete the entry on grub if you have that installed
>>
>>57006216
Use windows recovery disk to get the default boot loader back and then just format the Linux partition.
>>
Streamci guy again: turns out the file was absent and sfc wouldn't restore it for whatever reason, so I just copied the dll from my laptop and pasted it into system32. Great success, my headphones are now working as intended.
>>
>>57006322
Oh right, the question part of stupid questions. I wanted to ask, if I was missing the file windows uses for audio, why could I still hear from both my speakers (plugged into a monitor fed sound via hdmi) and diminished but no less present audio from the front of my case? Seems like I'd have no sound rather than just shitty sound.
>>
>>57006216
>>57006240
>>57006265
Don't forget to backup any files on that partition that you want to keep.
>>
File: 1471270523284.jpg (285KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471270523284.jpg
285KB, 1800x1200px
>>57006229
anything is possible
>>
File: 67667.jpg (11KB, 224x166px) Image search: [Google]
67667.jpg
11KB, 224x166px
>>57002465
Is it possible to set up two different routers in a WDS? I mean, they can be made by different companies and as long as they support the function, they should work right?

What do I need to consider before buying a 2nd router for setting up a WDS?
>>
>>57006240
>>57006265
Thanks
>>
Can someone help me?

I found out my local wifi network is too weak to use Steam Link wirelessly and I am thinking about getting a router exclusively to boost my wifi.

I have a Verizon modem/router that can't be taken off network so I am thinking I should run my routers in tandem.

Is that a good idea? Which router would be good for Steam Link gaming? I am looking for $60 and below.
>>
What is best Linux distro before I touch my hand on Arch?
>>
My ex-wife remarried and had two kids with her new husband.
They got divorced my ex-wife changed her and the kids' last names to my last name.
So now two kids, who I have no legal or biological connection to, have my last name.

Is this legal? Can I fight it in any way?

My ex is batshit insane so I have a feeling that she's trying something.
>>
I'm looking for jobs in my area at the moment and I've seen a couple for system administrators.

It seems like they mostly entail, backing up, taking wifi surveys and writing documentation.
Can someone chime in with how hard sysadmin jobs are, and generally what you do in a day?

For the record both I've seen have been with windows unfortunately. Is there a big learning curve with windows sysadminning?
>>
>>57006529
There's no such thing as "best Linux distro", otherwise everyone would use the same distro.
>>
>>57006547
is your name trademarked or something?
>>
File: IMG_5297.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5297.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
My little brother just ran into my room and shot my monitor with an airsoft
Am I totally fucked?
Pic very related
>>
>>57006547
That's pretty fucking crazy man.

>inb4 she claims they're yours and tries to get you to pay child support
>>
Youtube comment guy again on FF44/W7, I re-installed ABP and YT comments worked correctly for about 10 minutes before reverting to their behavior - View More Replies doesn't work and longer comments are cut off. Updating the filter list doesn't fix anything.
>>
>>57006582
Yeah, time for a new monitor.

Give that little shit what for by making him pay for it too.
>>
>>57006566
No, but it's a very uncommon last name. And by "uncommon" I mean there are less than 15 people with my last name and they are me, my father, my uncles and their wives and children.
>>
>>57006547
>>>/adv/
>>
>>57006554
Windows sysadmin stuff is super easy, but incredibly tedious and unrewarding (the pay may be alright, though).
Realistically, you would set up group policies for the machines on your domain (mostly to ensure they can't run .exe files you don't allow, install software, or make modifications to their machine), and then that's it.
Your day-to-day tasks would be along the lines of "my email won't load" or "my computer is slow", and you'll restart their computer and it's done.
>>
>>57002465
how to tell what displayport standard my 750ti is,concerned about issues with the 20th pin
>>
are there any guides for kali linux that actually explain shit? i got bored and wanted to test it on my wifi, only for it to continuously time out and try the same pin over and over. Tried it on other networks and got different errors/issues, so im just wanting to read into it a bit and see why its not doing anything
>>
>>57006700
by "explain shit" i mean more than just "type this code" and then not explain what any of it does/means.
>>
>>57006700

Just watch Mr. Robot. It will explain everything.
>>
>>57006678
That's what I figured, at least it will be useful to learn powershell.

>tfw no qt3.14 linux server to write bash scripts for
>>
I just want to learn I.T. stuff, like "maintenance". What do you recommend I look into?
>>
>>57006782
pick up some certs and become a desktop maintenance monkey
>>
>>57006906
What would be a pretty basic cert for this subject?
>>
File: muh-firewalls.jpg (514KB, 1506x1812px) Image search: [Google]
muh-firewalls.jpg
514KB, 1506x1812px
Trying to download the latest version of Comodo Firewall but I came across two sites and they give me different .exes. Which is the correct one?
>>
what are /g/s thoughts on auslogics duplicate file finder? is there better out there? i've tried ccleaners dup file finder, but auslogics is better in my opinion
>>
>>57005103
Of the VPNs that claim to keep no logs at all, Mullvad and IVPN will accept cash, Cryptostorm will accept bitcoin without even an email address. ExpressVPN will accept bitcoin with only an email address to contact you.
>>
So I posted in an old thread recently that my USB devices were randomly disconnecting in windows 7. None of the researched answers helped so I reformatted but the same thing happened again on a fresh install of windows, so I assume this means that my motherboard is fucked?
>>
>>57007427
If it's happening on both the front and back of your case, yeah, probably the mobo.
>>
I have an Axon 7. I have it set to unlock with my fingerprint, with a pattern as a backup. My problem is: I can get into the phone with my fingerprint, but it requires the pattern for changing the security options. Oh and I forgot the pattern.

Is there a way to get around the pattern bullshit with a fingerprint?
>>
>>57007427
Yes. And since you're buying a new mobo you might as well upgrade your processor too.
>>
>>57007359
Any vpn worth their salt will accept bitcoin, but that doesn't tell you much about their internals. Dish network accepts bitcoin.
>>
>>57007351
fdupes, accept no substitutes (or duplicates)
>>
>>57006582
No, but your brother seems to be.
>>
What's the best way to convert a bunch of JPGs into a PDF (with each image being 1 page)? I could do it in MS word but not sure this is the best solution. Don't want to download a bunch of software just to do something so simply either.
>>
since yesterday my PC (win10) has been randomly logging off then logging back on with windows default drivers for the GPU and my second monitor disabled
rebooting fixes it until it happens again

everything is up to date
how do I make it stop
>>
how do I download ktorrent? all the sites the hosted the installer are gone now
>>
How do I block YouTube and Facebook ads on a Android phone.
>>
>>57004509
No
>>
>>57005461
Check think shit general, there's a pair they like.
>>
>>57004699
I got HDD revocery service a while back, I didn't exactly have a good experience since I didn't know how recovery worked very well but I used some guys called File Retrieval since they had an office in Phoenix I could go to actually pick up/drop off myself instead of shipping to far away
>>
>>57007582
AdAway should work. Needs root tho.
>>
>>57007582
Use a browser with Adblock instead of their apps?
>>
>>57007624
Browser FB doesn't work anymore.
>>
>>57005992
that's some crazy shit, you think he could be any less conspicuous though? seeing all those guards standing around someone makes me want to go after them
>>
say i find a good torrent of windows7 and make bootable usb drive of it and im going keep this flashdrive around specifcally for having a copy of win7, assuming its not a samsung and wont explode, how long can i reasonably expect to rely on it for formatting when needed and such
>>
>>57007643
I dont think Saudis know what subtlety means.
>>
Hi. I have an old computer running an FX-6300.

My brother tried to give me his FX-8350 but (like an idiot) bent a few pins while taking it out of his PC.

I tried to straighten them the best I could. Is it safe to use or should I just stick to what I currently have? I don't wanna get my shit fucked
>>
>>57007434
After testing it out a little bit, when the usb 2.0 ports 'die', it is the mouse/ keyboard that don't work (they only have their led indicator lights flashing), but for some reason usb drives don't disconnect and can still be written to/ read from.

Also, it appears that this only effects the usb 2.0 ports and not the usb 3.0 ports. Right now I am testing my mouse/kb in the 3.0 ports to see what will happen.

>>57007445
I am currently still on a 2500k with ddr3 so upgrading would probably entail getting a new mobo/cpu/ram combo. Wouldn't it be worth to just grab another mobo over spending 3-4x more for current gen that wont offer much gains?
>>
File: hello nikki.gif (698KB, 1050x944px) Image search: [Google]
hello nikki.gif
698KB, 1050x944px
I'm in complete despair.

The animation that I've been working on fro awhile (pic related) got it's data corrupted once my computer decided to crash on me while I was saving my progress. (clip studio paint)

I'm not sure what my options are. I'm trying photorec but in all honesty I've never done this before. I dunno what to do. Somebody please hold my hand.
>>
>>57007556
imagemagick can do this if you're okay with using the command line. run convert input1.jpg input2.jpg inputn.jpg output.pdf

>>57007671
i've used an old sandisk drive for years for similar uses and it's just now starting to die. probably a few hundred windows installs/pmagic boots, and reformats. i think a faulty motherboard ended up almost frying it, but it still somewhat works after overheating that one time. if it weren't for that, i'm sure it would have lasted a few more years.

>>57007703
as long as the pins aren't actually broken it should be fine, but if your motherboard is shit (poor VRM cooling/few phases) you'll have little to no overclocking headroom.

>>57007712
boot up a live linux system and/or just go straight into the UEFI and see if you still have usb problems.
>>
>>57007717
assuming you don't have any previous versions saved, you'll just have to fix it up/redo the missing data again

protip: don't save important stuff directly over the old version
as you've found out, if for whatever reason the save fails, you will end up with potentially nothing
>>
File: :^).png (9KB, 192x167px) Image search: [Google]
:^).png
9KB, 192x167px
>>57007717
>>
>>57007756
I booted into Knoppix and left it overnight without problems, though it was just idle. I'll probably test it again after this. Honestly it seems so bizarre and happens seemingly at random times, but I think it has only happened when I was using the computer, not while I was away.
>>
File: 10.2.16 - everyday nikki.gif (241KB, 818x1152px) Image search: [Google]
10.2.16 - everyday nikki.gif
241KB, 818x1152px
>>57007775
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.

FUCK.

well thanks, anon. I'll keep it in mind from now on. this is the worst thing ever. have something else I animated previously. god damn it.
>>
>>57007712
Well you have to upgrade at some point anyways, 2500K wont last five years. You could sink 100-150 dollars into something that only lasts few years and won't give any performance, but would that really be wise? I'd recommend just biting the bullet and upgrading now.

>>57007717
If you don't have any backups then there's nothing you can do. Any file recovery software won't help since you saved over the old copy. You'll have to start from scratch or try to fix up the corrupted version. Sorry.

>>57007671
If you keep it in stable temperature and away from light then I dont see a reason why it woudnt last a decade.
>>
>>57007756
>your motherboard is shit (poor VRM cooling/few phases) you'll have little to no overclocking headroom.

My motherboard is good in that regard. Do slightly crooked/straightened pins affect OC?
>>
>>57007800
yea, check if your program has a means of automatically picking a new filename each time

a few programs i use (such as solidworks/revit) will do this, moving old versions to a new name before saving, never overwriting the old directly unless you've messed with the settings

your character is pretty cute btw
>>
Does anyone here use the browser Opera Mini on their phone? How do you get it to stop saving your log in information?
>>
>>57007804
If it fits it should be fine
>>
File: ultimate nikki ref sheet.jpg (4MB, 2292x2084px) Image search: [Google]
ultimate nikki ref sheet.jpg
4MB, 2292x2084px
>>57007826
She's not my own creation. She's from swapnote, a now-defunc drawing application nintendo decided to pull the plug on awhile back once they heard about some jap pedos exchanging pokemon for pictures of naked children...
>>
Try starting up from a live USB and shut down normally. See if that helps.
>>
>>57004902

Practical in the sense that when I'm done school in a few years, I want to be familiar with a commonly used industry Linux distro.
>>
File: 1474733422749.png (85KB, 389x568px) Image search: [Google]
1474733422749.png
85KB, 389x568px
>>57004015
pls respond
>>57007881
good taste and nice animations
>>
>>57002465
pic is so stupid.
why did i laugh so hard?
>>
File: 1465480058664.jpg (56KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1465480058664.jpg
56KB, 750x1334px
Don't know where to go with this question, but I guess I'll try here.

So my new 3ds suffered a nasty fall recently from me being a dumb ass and tripping on the cord while getting up. And it ended up like pic related, the cables didn't completely tear off but I can see what I think is the screen's cable and wi-fi cable being damaged.

I assume both screen and wi-fi cable are fucked, but maybe there's someone here who knows more than me and can correct me if I'm wrong. I already ordered a new shell housing to replace this broken one (and an outer shell to prevent this bullshit).

And I'm wondering if I should order a screen and wi-fi cable replacement as well so I can get repairs done, since I doubt parts for it exist in my country.

Screen is black and wi-fi signal is super weak, so I'm guessing I'm right about this. The little plastic part you see there actually came off the system but I kind of mashed it in there with no problem.

Anyway, don't really know where else to ask. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>57008299
Well, Nintendo always hides the Screen, wifi, and sound for top screen into a single flat wire in the left hinge. You'd only need to replace that normally. The thing is, the flat wire is soldered to the screens, and removing it is not worth the hustle. So probably you'd need to replace the whole fucking screen and everything that was connected to that flat wire in the hinge. Also to prevent futher damage, it'd be good to replace the whole shell for this device.

Find a person who could do a repair in your country. If you're already a 3DS user in some 3rd world country, then I assume you probably know all the other 3DS users in your country. Someone has to know/be able to fix that.
>>
File: die please.jpg (41KB, 962x799px) Image search: [Google]
die please.jpg
41KB, 962x799px
what the fuck are these bastards and why are there 10 fucking million of them flying around my god damn face and monitor nonstop for like 5 months straight?

i cleaned the fuck out of my house 100 times over making sure there is no food or garbage anywhere, not the sink drain or stove tops or fucking anywhere

so ok i go to the store to buy this fucking thing and sure its got like 20 of them but theres still like a billion left. i almost think the killer thing is just attracting more into the house or something.

i have never ever had such a problem with bugs in my entire life and i swear theres more in this 2 foot cubic area than the entire world. i dont see any outside or at work or fucking anywhere but in my god damn room

i- cant focus or do anything with my life because of this god damn infestation flying around my fucking face like pigpen
>>
>>57008414

Yeah I figured, I've had an old 3ds xl's screen repaired before, gonna go to the same place but with parts of my own. Found them for dirt cheap online. Thanks.
>>
Is it possible to make a backup of my Android phone stuck on boot loop over USB on PC?
>>
>>57008426
Off hand I would say fruit flies but I can't confirm from those photos.
>>
I was just getting ready to shut down for the night when I noted I had a text file open. It was called A5C9.tmp, and I did not create it. I did not open it either.

Any idea what's up with that? Kinda scares me.
>>
best duplicate finder program
>>
File: Screenshot_20161010-112927.png (198KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161010-112927.png
198KB, 1152x2048px
how long does sign up take
>>
File: Captura.png (42KB, 663x859px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
42KB, 663x859px
I have no idea of computers

what video card can I upgrade to?

would it be as simple as just buying a new card and connecting it to the computer? I suppose not
>>
>>57008426
Are you sure there's not something you forgot about under your bed
>>
Will my Sapphire rx480 8gb nitro work crossfire with reference rx 480?
>>
>>57008870
It generally is that simple assuming you have enough wattage for it, but with your machine you'll be running into CPU bottlenecking with most potential upgrades.
>>
>>57009007
any suggestion?
>>
will I be able to run Portal 1 or Half Life 1 on my Nexus 5x using GLTools to emulate Tegra 4 drivers ?
I won't have my computers for the next 4 months and I really want to play those games
>>
>>57008426
insects are not technology
>>
>>57008857
bump
>>
Is it possible to send all mouse inputs to an inactive window when hovering over it, like it already works with scrolling/back/forward?
>>
Someone enlighten me on overclocking GPUs.

Overclocking a CPU I can understand. Going from 3GHz to 4 is a 33% increase in performance more or less.

But as far as I know you can't overclock GPUs as much. Do the little increases really help that much? And how exactly do they help, Do you get better graphics or does it make the framerate simply more consistent?
>>
Why source code of android telegram client is so outdated? The last commit was more than 3 months ago with 3.10.1 release, but on play store there is 3.13.
>>
Can anyone help break this method down step by step for me please?

protected void randomise() {
Random rnd = ThreadLocalRandom.current();

for (int i = getArray().length - 1; i > 0; i--)
{
int location = rnd.nextInt(i + 1);

int a = getArray()[location];

getArray()[location] = getArray()[i];

getArray()[i] = a;

}

}

>>
I'm (planning on) getting a Bachelors in Information Technology.
Besides the actual schoolwork, is there anything that I should research or study while doing it?
>>
File: file.png (5KB, 390x332px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
5KB, 390x332px
How do you change the color of menu items in a program on Windows 7? I am getting tired of this.
>>
>>57007800
Try asking in /co/, they may know something
Chances are slim
>>
can anyone recommend me here a list of stuff i have to install before getting started with the java ecosystem. I have to do java stuff for my next project. but the last time i used java was with eclipse and all, a really long time ago. i heard about meaven and such. anything else to know?
>>
>>57002723
Not that faggot, but i am also following computer engineer. The name is totally wrong.

We are basically full stack web devs that know nothing about security. we see the following languages and things each for one semester

c#
asp.net
java
java servlets
android
php
html, css, js
c++
pyhon
node.js
sql

And some basic design patterns
linux servers
windows servers
>>
My debian xfce keeps getting stuck at "Performing Autostart..." in the splash screen.

What should I do? The last time, it ran out of battery and was on low percentage so it froze and went to sleep. But then after I opened it up and charged it, everything was glitched and slow. I forced a shutdown and started it again, and now it won't even start.

What happened? Do I have to reinstall xfce now or something?
>>
>>57009414
I get something like
systemd[1]: Breaking ordering cycle by deleting job rpcbind.service/start
systemd[1]: Job rpcvind.service/start deleted to break ordering cycle starting with sysinit.target/start
>>
>>57009414
>>57009440
I need to finish my lab report, any help?
>>
File: 1428624869420.jpg (19KB, 383x400px) Image search: [Google]
1428624869420.jpg
19KB, 383x400px
>>57009464
>I need to finish my lab report, any help?

haha, the memes write themself.

that being said, I wish I could help, but I can't.
>>
>>57009464
use the disk and repair your OS
>>
>>57009464
If it's urgent and you want to work now and troubleshoot later, just boot from USB, mount your filesystem and finish your lab report like this.
>>
Instead of putting murderers in prison wouldn't it be better to make them do an amount of good deeds equal to the value of the life they took?
>>
>>57009484
I'm not joking Anon.

>>57009487
fsck? I think it runs fine when I boot it from the default or GNOME DE for some reason. but the keyboard breaks when I enter the root terminal.

>>57009510
I have some time before going, but I'll see.
>>
Is win10 anniversary update something that'll fuck up my "pirated" win10 copy if I install it? Or is it something that's fixed with the activator?
>>
Can a Plex server be instructed to buffer-transcode?

Currently I have a relatively weak server, so transcoding some x265 show to play on a chromecast for example, it struggles with. During playback there's lots of stuttering as could be expected - however can I configure the Plex server to do a large chunk of transcoding before starting playback? Eg. I click on a show to watch, and rather than instantly starting playback it starts to transcode for 5 min, then starts playback while continuing to transcode further into the show?
>>
I want to know how many posts came before a particular post on fireden.net. I already have something that does this on 4chan, by using appchan x's custom css thingy and having this in it
body {counter-reset: postnumber;}
a.hide-reply-button::after {counter-increment: postnumber; content: counter(postnumber);}
body {counter-reset: postnumber;}
.postNum.desktop::after {counter-increment: postnumber; content: " No." counter(postnumber);position:relative; ;}

It works well enough in my opinion, and it just appends the number of the post relative to the thread after the post number. How can I do this for fireden? I tried pasting the same thing in the style editor of firefox, but that didn't work. I have no idea how I got that css to work in the first place.
>>
>>57009293
It shuffles the array returned by getArray.
So say the array has 5 elements. Then you start with i = 4, so that getArray()[i] is the last element.
You generate a random integer from 0 to 4, location. This means getArray()[location] is a randomly chosen element to the left of the last element, or the last element itself. You swap getArray()[i] and getArray()[location], so that your last element is now at a random position.
You then decrease i, meaning you're looking at the second to last element. Again you pick a random element from its left, swap them and so on, until every element (except for the first one) has been swapped with an element to its left (or not, in case the randomly picked location equals i).
>>
What's the general knowledge I need to get into security.
Is there a specific language that os prefered, or just general knowledge about computers and how they work?
Any good literature on the subject?
>>
>>57009036
I KNOW BUT WHO ELSE DO I ASK
>>
>>57009600
"Security" is very broad, it depends what you want to specialize in. Knowing languages isn't necessary as such, but it's definitely a huge help if you do as (a) you'd be able to write your own tools and (b) through understanding languages you'll have a better understanding of what's happening "under the hood".

What you WILL need is to be able to -understand- languages and overall systems - so for example with webapp security you'd need to understand what's happening in, say, a Javascript script, HTML, Java webapp etc. but you don't need to be able to write these. You would however need to gain a good understanding of how different internet protocols, servers, software configurations etc. work.

On the flip side for software security, you want to be able to understand C and Assembly (or whatever language your target may be using if it can be decompiled - Python, C#, Java etc), but not necessarily need to be able to write code in these. Again, huge help if you can but you don't have to be able to. With software security you need a deep understanding of the CPU, how the underlying computer is working and also the details of the specific operating system (and thus PE structure, configuration etc) that your target runs on.

Then, with all aspects of security come further rabbit holes to jump down. You might find yourself interested in cryptography, IoT and hardware hacking, malware analysis, etc and they all have their own aspects and topics to delve into.

> tl;dr: No specific language, lots of specific knowledge. Find what aspect you're interested in and focus on that. Tonnes of good literature, but again there's no "security" literature, there's literature on all the sub-sections of the sub-sections of security
>>
>>57009681
I don't know, how about the fucking animals board?
>>
>>57009598
Is int index = randomnumber.nextInt.... The line that generates the random number? If so, why is it nextInt (i + 1)?
>>
Are those "cheese of the month" subscriptions worth it?
>>
>>57007717
if using windows, check shadow copies. you may be able to restore an older save point.
>>
I am accesing internet behind a restirictive firewall, it is sending forget TCP RST, I've blocked them on my router.

After the blocking openssl s_client -connect works ok. Get html page, but browsers time out.

What should do to make browsers work too?
>>
>>57009683
Thanks for the detailed answer, yes, I wasn't really thinking about web security, since I don't like the majority of the material connected to webdev.
So, what are some good reads for software security? I already know the basics of sql and c#, I saw a course about cryptografy on coursera, how's that?
>>
Is there a way to move floating windows in i3wm which don't have borders?
>>
Two questions
>do I need uBlock when I can use uMatrix?
>when using uMatrix, how can I get the captcha to work?
>>
What is a "CSS Compiler" and why is it an active add-on in my Firefox?
>>
Trying to torrent shit off kickass and it keeps asking for a friking registration, what do?
>>
What's the most open smartphone that's cheap, has good battery life and runs AOSP (with sources). Spex don't really matter. Preferrably buyable from aliexpress/ebay. Basically looking for a chinese phone running untouched AOSP.
>>
What is the comfiest, cheapest shitposting machine? A Thinkpad X40?
>>
>>57009293
>>57009598
>>57009805
Hang on, let me format this better

Is
int location = rnd.nextInt(i + 1);
the line that generates the random integer? I don't quite understand the
rnd.nextInt(i + 1);
part.

From what I do understand, it gets a random location number, so either 0, 1, 2 or 3 and assigns it to the location int, but I don't get the code itself
>>
File: 1454447578711.jpg (306KB, 600x1383px) Image search: [Google]
1454447578711.jpg
306KB, 600x1383px
What did /g/ study at uni?
If you could choose again what would it be?
>>
>>57010034
KAT was taken down, Anon. What shady site are you accessing?
>>
>>57008690
Pls respond
>>
Probably a weird question, but is there some way to see for sure if my mouse is delayed? I dunno if I'm experiencing placebo or not, but I swear shit is delayed like when you have vsync on.
>>
If I have a /gaymen/ keyboard with onboard storage with pre-configured (in Windows) lighting, will it retain the lighting settings on a Mac/Linux machine?
>>
>>57009683
>>57009926
Pls respond
>>
It's about a wifi-adapter. Which one is faster?

USB 3.0 vs. Ethernet.
>>
>>57003153
tinyboard
vichan
>>
>>57010495
Should do.

>>57008690
Possibly.

>>57010256
X40 is pretty nice

>>57010337
EE. Would do again.

>>57010076
How cheap is cheap? Used okay? If so, Moto /g/
>>
>>57006390
It's tricky but can be done.
You need to check your router's chipsets - two chipsets from the same manufacturer will tend to work better.
DD-WRT/OpenWRT are your friends.
Of course, it's better if you can just run ethernet to the second AP.
>>
>>57009302
go to class, don't slack, always do your math.
>>
File: ShareX_2016-10-10_14-54-33.png (9KB, 283x158px) Image search: [Google]
ShareX_2016-10-10_14-54-33.png
9KB, 283x158px
just made a fresh install of virtual box and i cannot make any vm, i get the following error
>>
>>57006390
WDS is not standardised.
>>
Why does my steelseries siberia v2 sound better than my akg k550?
>>
>>57010569
Both look preet desolate in development
>>
I am new to Linux. I want a normal user to be able to use sudo, but want it to have to retype their password everytime they want to execute a sudo command. I added them to sudoers but everytime they sudo they gain unlimited su access. In the terminal it shows as [root@hostname user].

Can anyone pls halp?
>>
Can a wordpress admin see passwords from other users?
>>
>>57007685
There is no way to be subtle when the USA is against you.
>>
>>57006582
This monitor is like 20% fucked.
>>
>>57009036
They are bugs. Bugs need to be reported to the developer, so they can be fixed.
>>
>>57008857
Every paid survey I participated on the past was a scam.
>>
>>57010337
Nothing. The course I took on the University on my city was shit, the University was shit. I don't want to study on an University anymore.
>>
>>57010557
How fast is your Wi-Fi?
>>
>>57010977
Defaults        env_reset,timestamp_timeout=0
[/code
>>
>>57010919
Could be that your DAC & Amplifier is shit. Siberia is designed for plugging to headphone jacks while AKG's are designed to be used with hifi equipment. Or it could simply be that you prefer the sound of siberia while other people dislike it. This higly depends on what kind of content or which genres of music you listen to.

>>57010682
Are you running it in admin mode?
>>
>>57010294
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/util/random_nextint_inc_exc.htm

nextInt(n) generates a random integer that is greater or equal 0 and less than n.
>>
>>57002465
>Google is hard
http://askubuntu.com/questions/760825/cannot-boot-system-due-to-start-job-running-for-hold
>>
File: 1447133867437.jpg (12KB, 290x296px) Image search: [Google]
1447133867437.jpg
12KB, 290x296px
I have a CRT monitor that I used to run at 1600x1200 at 75Hz when I had a nvidia card.

Now I'm trying to use the same monitor with Intel HD Graphics and it refuses to go above 1600x1200 at 66hz even though the official monitor specs lists 1600x1200 at 75Hz as supported.

Any way to fix this?
>>
File: 1470021635288.png (524KB, 499x622px) Image search: [Google]
1470021635288.png
524KB, 499x622px
Alright g I have this bitch of an xp machine that just won't Post. I've already tried the basic troubleshooting of taking the ram out etc including taking out the Battery and cleaning the cmos but no Post at all just the cpu fan spining with no beep codes or anything.
I'm guessing is either the mobo or the psw might be dying. Anything else I missed?
>>
>>57011164
Further clarification:
The Intel HD Graphics control panel is stopping me from doing a custom resolution above 1200p/66hz. I do not get an out of range error on the monitor. Intel simply refuses to accept the resolution.
>>
>>57011084
Thanks for your help, but adding this to sudoers doesn't fix it. Any other way you know of to tackle my problem?
>>
>>57011114
I don't have a DAC or amp. I have tested it on different types of .flac music but prefered siberia on every.
Do i need an amp or DAC? I don't know alot about that stuff.
>>
>>57011215
What i posted is exactly how you do what you want to do
>>
>>57006700
did you do an
 airodump-ng -W <iface> 
to determine if the router you're attacking has WPS enabled? The reason you keep seeing the same pin is because when reaver fails the transmission of the pin it tries to resend it. So it sounds like the pin is failing in transmission to the router.
>>
File: Screen shot 2016-10-10 at 16-10.png (20KB, 598x492px) Image search: [Google]
Screen shot 2016-10-10 at 16-10.png
20KB, 598x492px
This is my build. It's a couple of years old.

I wanna upgrade but I'm unsure which part would make the most sense to upgrade. I'm assuming with regards to gaymen the bottleneck would be the GPU but I'm also assuming since I'm a retard my intuition may be off and the CPU could be the bottleneck just as well

I'm definitely gonna cram some more RAM in there simply because it's so cheap
>>
>>57011226
And I did exactly as you told me to do, however, it is not working.
>>
>cpu fan slipped slightly of somehow after I did some shit the other day
>get a kernel panic
wew lad, not got one of those before

Thinked my fan slipped off cause Idk how those silly clips worked but it's back on now
>>
I want to place an external hdd at a friend's house and make backups every few weeks. Can I do it remotely?
>>
>>57011281
Then you are a special snowflake and should submit a bug report on the developers tracker with your logs so they may fix this
(Pro Tip: i have mine set to 2 minutes using exactly what i posted)
>>
>>57009707
>/an/
they'll just say bring it to the vet. they dont know shit about animals.
>>
>>57011164
It could be that your processor's iGPU simply does not support a refresh rate that high. If you can get a higher framerate at lower resolutions then it's a bandwith limitation.

>>57011174
If your processor has integrated graphics then remove everything except mobo, 1 stick of ram and the processor and only connect power and that display.

But yes, your motherboard is probably dead.

>>57011217
If it is 50 ohms or lower then you shoudnt need a seperate amplifier. DAC could help, but you're getting into audiophile territory there. Besides good amps cost like 100 dollars so they're not worth buying.

Which frequencies are annoying you the most (bass, mids or tremble)? Does it get better if you crank the volume up?

>>57011279
The CPU is good enough for few years, you need a new graphics card. Don't sink too much money on more ram, you'll have to replace them with DDR4 memory when you upgrade your CPU. 8GB should be fine on everything except the most recent titles.

>>57011300
Yes, but you need to connect it into something that you can access remotely. So your friend needs to set up a computer or some other NAS server for it and allow external connections to it.
>>
>>57010337
>>57010572
Why did you pick EE over CE or CS?
>>
>>57011343
>Besides good amps cost like 100 dollars
Good DACs start at 100 dollars and audiophiles usually recommend 200-300 dollar ones.
>>
>>57011303
Welp, I am probably just retarded. Did I do something wrong?
>>
>>57009681
File a bug report. Please note it could take 24 - 48 hours for a trained professional to get to your case. We value you as a customer.
>>
I just build my PC and got a free copy of Win10.

I just want to ask what settings in the bios should i change for Win 10?

Secure boot: Enable or disable? (its greyed out now idk why)
OS Type: Other OS or Windows UEFI?
CSM: enable or disable?

Also does Win10 format the HDD to GPT only?
>>
>>57011343
>The CPU is good enough for few years, you need a new graphics card.
any suggestions? something solid that'll last a couple of years in the medium-shekel range?
>>
>>57011360
is your user account in the sudo group?
don't add yourself to the sudoers file. instead add yourself to the sudo group.
then close all existing terminal windows, open a new one and type
 sudo su 

does that prompt for your user account password?
>>
So I got a 144hz 1440p main monitor and a 1080p 60hz secondary monitor.

So far I got it to work so the main monitor seems to work normally at 144hz. However, the second monitor is weirdly laggy. Like when I drag windows around on it, everything seems to have high latency and moves really unsmoothly.

How do I fix that?

Also, when I have firefox maximized on my 144hz monitor it's kind of wrong and laggy like that aswell, though not as hard. When I fullscreen it with f11 or window it, I dont have that issue.

In video games I have not noticed an issue. They seem to be working at 144hz properly as far as I can tell.
>>
>>57011483
Oh and I forgo tto mention, I'm on windows 7. When I google this most people with this issue seem to have it related to something windows 10.
>>
>>57011452
>sudo group
Its called wheel
>>
>>57011483
>>57011503
Are you just confusing 144 vs 60?
>>
>>57011407
>Secure boot: Enable or disable? (its greyed out now idk why)
If you enable it then you'll have difficulties installing any linux, but on the other hand viruses have harder time replacing the windows boot loader. It requires UEFI. If you just install one operating system and don't do anything too special you might want to keep it on.

>OS Type: Other OS or Windows UEFI?
UEFI has some advanced features but nothing that'll change your user experience. Enable it if you havent installed windows, otherwise leave it as it is (because you'll have to reinstall windows if you change it)

>CSM: enable or disable?
It adds a compability mode for older operating systems that don't use UEFI. No reason to disable it.

>>57011438
How much money are you willing to sink into one?
>rx 460, rx 470, gtx 1060 6GB, gtx 1070
Get the most expensive one out of that list. If you're looking at 460 then you might want to wait for gtx 1050(ti?) which is supposed to be released in a month or two.
>>
>>57011515
no dipshit there is literally a group called "sudo"

wheel is just a group that belongs to root and has nothing to do with the sudo program
run:
 cat /etc/group 

and see for yourself
>>
>>57011452
I removed the # before
%wheel ALL (ALL=All) ALL
, then added user lain to the wheel group using
usermod lain -g wheel
and restarted my system. Still, it only asks for my passwd once (I sudo startx) but let's me execute any command after that for an unlimited amount of time.

I am close to reinstalling desu
>>
>>57011562
No, its fucking called wheel you fucking faggot
>>
>>57011571
wheel is not sudo
jesus fuck kid
>>
>>57011548
>How much money are you willing to sink into one?
>>rx 460, rx 470, gtx 1060 6GB, gtx 1070
>Get the most expensive one out of that list. If you're looking at 460 then you might want to wait for gtx 1050(ti?) which is supposed to be released in a month or two.
gtx 1060 looks good. thanks for the help, youre a sweetheart
>>
>>57006265
Follow up question: here are my partitions, I'm assuming the first two are the Kali installation, but how can I make sure of it?
>>
>>57011585
There is no group named sudo on my system. I am new to this, please be kind.
>>
>>57011548
Hey thanks man.
So when i install Win10 i wont be able to change the secure boot and os type settings anymore until i reformat?
>>
File: disk.png (5KB, 389x96px) Image search: [Google]
disk.png
5KB, 389x96px
>>57011598
hurr forgot pic
>>
>>57010572
I can't buy moto g3 from china and fuck buying from america, the shipping jew always wants to rip me off when buying from america. Any open chinese phones?
>>
>>57011580
look at your sudoers file retard:
## Uncomment to allow members of the group sudo to execute any command
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL

create the sudo group if you deleted it you fat fuck
>>
>>57011601
>remove yourself from wheel (this is why nothing is prompting you for a password)
>create sudo group
>add your user to sudo group
>>
>>57011548
>>57011592
okay one last thing, how do i chose the specific version of the card i want? gygabyte, asus, msi, whatever? does it really make much of a difference?
>>
Is it safe to use a AMD CPU with slightly bent pins? I pawned it off a friend
>>
>>57011664
I removed myself from the wheel group, created the sudo group and added myself to it. It does not fix the problem.

To be clear: I _am_ prompted for my passwd, but only once. After the first time I can do whatever I want without worrying about a passwd. I want it to prompt me for my passwd everytime I attempt to do something I need su access for.
>>
I need a help with creating a batch file that will copy the content of certain folder/file to the flash drive.
What I'm having trouble with is how to know the flash drive location.
Any ideas?
>>
>>57011603
You can enable or disable secure boot and CSM, but you cant switch between legacy boot and UEFI because windows installs compability for one of them.

>>57011614
That 665 megabyte thing is probably window's own recovery partition. I got one at 450MB even though I dont have a linux. What does it say on the graph at bottom?

>>57011674
Should be safe to use if you can bend them back.

>>57011666
The biggest differences are different coolers and slight differences in clock speeds. Don't buy the cheap stuff like palit cards, go for the midrange ones. Doesn't really matter which one, they're all pretty similar. The most expensive ones are a waste of money unless you're planning on overclocking though.

Also don't buy rear exchaust/blower cards. Get a 2 or 3 fan card instead.

>>57011715
Does it have a drive letter?
>>
>>57011065
>>
>>57011730
thank u kind sir
>>
File: 2016-10-10-114740_835x691_scrot.png (74KB, 835x691px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-10-114740_835x691_scrot.png
74KB, 835x691px
>>57011618
No.
What non standard non iso following shit distro are you on kid?
>>
>>57011529
I don't understand what you're asking me.

I'm 100% certain that my main monitor is 144hz and my secondary monitor is 60hz if that's the question.
>>
File: qwerty.jpg (41KB, 960x401px) Image search: [Google]
qwerty.jpg
41KB, 960x401px
>>57011730
>Does it have a drive letter?
Yes, but The drive letter could change.
I'm making what would be "thief USB" drive.
A flash drive with batch file to copy the content of certain directories.
The first issue is how to know where to copy the files to.
The second is how to keep everything invisible/background.
The third is to know when it finished and safely eject the drive.
>>
>>57011756
Yes, you are going from youer 144 to your 60, are you sure you're not just noticing the difference between the refresh rates, cause it sounds like yo uare
>>
I see a \n at the start of each line on subs while watching videos on my android phone using default player. Any way to fix this without getting a new player?
>>
>>57011769
The variable %cd% has the current directory you're executing from. So %cd:~0,2% will only give you the first two letters of it.

>The second is how to keep everything invisible/background.
You cant really run a batch file without a cmd window popping up. You can try to mask it with by disabling command echoing and then writing some nonsense into it, but people will still get suspicious. Try writing a proper program instead.
>>
>>57011770
I'm 100% sure it's not just that. It's way laggier than regular 60hz, like actual strong input lag and stuttering.
>>
>>57011828
>The variable %cd%
Thanks.
>Invisible
I figured it out, I can run the batch file as a process this why not a single window would open.
>You can try to mask it with by disabling command echoing
I'm using @echo off.

The important thing is how to auto eject after finishing it up.
Will mountvol %cd% /P help?
>>
File: Selection_531.png (14KB, 436x138px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_531.png
14KB, 436x138px
>>57011580
>>
File: Selection_532.png (19KB, 683x160px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_532.png
19KB, 683x160px
>>57011618
>>
Does windows recognize grub?
I'm making a multiboot usb and im not sure if grub will be found to boot from the usb
>>
I think my power supply is fucked.

When I plug in power, pc immediately starts, without touching I/O button.
Then it shuts down and it's not reacting to anything.

Someone help
>>
File: Przechwytywanie.png (5KB, 243x112px) Image search: [Google]
Przechwytywanie.png
5KB, 243x112px
My keyboard switch icon disappeared and I can't find it anymore. How do I fix? It's not under the arrow
>>
>>57012704
more like a mobo issue
>>
>>57013378
Win+space to change keyboard layout
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.