[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My mom needs a work laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: dell-xps-13-refresh.jpg (163KB, 1200x704px) Image search: [Google]
dell-xps-13-refresh.jpg
163KB, 1200x704px
Must have:
>touch screen 12.5" or larger
>good battery life
>4lbs or less
>actual laptop chassis, no removable tablet screen
>SSD or replaceable/empty drive
>$300 or less used

I'm mostly looking at old Dells and Lenovos (afraid of the malware though) right now. I fucking hate laptop shopping because everything is so shit. I had a bunch of ebay searches bookmarked a while back, but now my mom wants a touch screen, which means I have to search all over again.

Is there a go-to cheap laptop with a touch screen that's good for business?
>>
Newegg has this cool thing where you can narrow your search results based on criteria instead of asking a chinese cartoon website
>>
>>56998878
What is your mom planning to use her laptop for?
>>
>>56998878
try this >>56994736
>>
>>56998878
You're never going to find all that in a decent laptop at that price.

If it's for work, swallow the pill and just buy a brand new one. With warranty and everything. It'll be well worth it.

Iirc, you can buy the XPS 13 (since that's the pic you used) with a 1080p touch screen for like $900.
>>
>>56998878
Check Dell's outlet site. They're having huge sales on inspirons
>>
>>56998878
Your Mom needs a good hard dicking from me
>>
>>56998914
premaeum kak
>>
ThinkPad W520
>>
>>56998914
>Newegg has this cool thing where you can narrow your search results based on criteria instead of asking a chinese cartoon website
Already did that, but I'm asking /g/ as well. Newegg tends to get rid of older laptops from their search results, making it less useful for finding good used options.

>>56998919
word, excel, firefox. She does some actual database and calculation/sorting stuff for her work, but power is obviously not a huge issue. The generation of CPU is more important because of battery life.

>>56998982
I put an XPS picture because the non-touch model is like $350 used. I figure I absolutely ought to be able to get something decent for $200 to $300 if that's how much a used XPS 13 costs.
>>
>>56999068
You dumbass. For that price, you won't do better than the XPS. Tell your mom shes being dumb. Fuck the touchscreen.
>>
>>56999068
>I figure I absolutely ought to be able to get something decent for $200 to $300 if that's how much a used XPS 13 costs.

That's because you don't understand how computers deprecate in value once they are used.
>>
>>56999068
Why does she want a touchscreen? Tell her that she can do all the touchscreen gestures like scrolling and swiping on the trackpad.
>>
>>56998878
>Must have:
>>touch screen
dropped, get a tablet you whore, suck three more dicks to afford a win10 tablet
>>
File: go the fuck back.png (275KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
go the fuck back.png
275KB, 500x492px
>touch screen laptop

get the fuck out of here
https://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/
>>
>need for work
>touch screen
Fuck odf
>>
>>56999224
Admittedly I grew up pre-touchscreen, but I can't see using it (unless forced too) is a pleasant experience. Keypresses are just so satisfying.
>>
>>56999423
The thing about touchscreens is that they are not going to be as comfortable to use compared to a trackpad because touchscreens require you to lift up your arm. You can use trackpads just from moving your fingers on the laptops palm rest.
>>
File: motorola-xoom-tablet-swipe.jpg (324KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
motorola-xoom-tablet-swipe.jpg
324KB, 640x428px
>>56999423
after only using my xoom for a few years i got so tired of touchscreens. i forgot how efficient a keyboard and mouse was and bad using touch screen fucks your hands up. my thumbs would start to hurt so fucking bad. also touch devices have such ugly UIs. even if i have to use the shittiest computer i will never go back.
>>
>>56999176
>>56999218
I consider these replies to be shitposts. In my book, any celeron or i3 that's fourth gen or more recent is a decent processor for normal business. And i5 or i7 is just a bonus. I'm mainly concerned about build quality and lack of malware. There should definitely be something decent for <$300 used.

>>56999224
>>56999423
Touch screens are genuinely useful on laptops, albeit in limited applications. They're simply faster and easier for some kinds of simple GUI stuff than touchpad or nipple are. I used GNOME3 on my touch laptop and it's great.
>>
Why people want touchscreen on their laptop???
>>
>>56998878
there's a vivonook that goes for 370new, and has fhd and 14 hours of battery

i imagine you can get one used for 300, if you manage to find it.
>>
>>56999806
to touch things
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.