[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lily 0.18

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Ask me whatever. I've spent over 5 years building a programming language from scratch in C. No parser generators, no existing vm. The language itself is statically-typed, but the reference is as an interpreter.

https://github.com/FascinatedBox/lily/

Sandbox here:

http://fascinatedbox.github.io/lily/sandbox.html
>>
>>56998703
Is your IQ sub-20 or does it sometimes reach the low 40s?
>>
Good job making another new language that nobody will ever use.
>>
>>56998783
Not having users doesn't bother me. The project is large enough that it keeps me occupied.
>>
>>56998804
Well if it's what you like to do then good for you.
>>
You couldn't have made a more generic-looking language if you'd tried.

Does this language solve any particular class of problems well? Or is it thoroughly "general purpose"?
>>
>>56998904
Suppose you need an embedded language, but you need one that's statically typed. You can embed Lily the same way you embed Lua, because the interpreter doesn't write global data. Only, Lily is statically-typed.

Or maybe you're doing embedded work and you're in a low memory situation or you want to limit gc pauses. Lily's type system allows it to rely on reference counting to avoid gc pauses, which can be unpredictable.

Or maybe you're using PHP because it has templating (that whole code between tags bit). The interpreter has templating built into it, so it's possible to transition over to a language that's statically-typed but keep that same abstraction.
>>
>>56998993
>Or maybe you're using PHP because it has templating (that whole code between tags bit). The interpreter has templating built into it, so it's possible to transition over to a language that's statically-typed but keep that same abstraction.

did you mean transition to dynamically typed or really transition from lily to static typed there?
>>
>>56999109
Lily is statically-typed throughout. But it also has PHP's 'code between tags' idea, if you start the interpreter in tagged mode. The default, though, is in standalone, where everything is code. When it's loading an import, the import is always loaded in code-only mode, so there's a distinction between what's the front (the templating pages), and what's not (strictly code parts).
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.