[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to solder?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: hn.jpg (135KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
hn.jpg
135KB, 728x546px
I mostly need to learn how to change motherboard and psu capacitors, so what you think should be the best guide about it?
>>
>>56996114
learning by doing
>>
>>56996114
>change psu capacitors
Enjoy killing yourself.
>>
>>56996155
I know that I will need to spend time on it but simply going straight into soldering without any knowledge is pointless.
>>
>>56996170
This, PSUs are not meant to be serviced.
>>
>>56996170
I'm going to change only the small capacitors, I think.
>>
>>56996173
This is what fags at school expected from me. Survived and made cool drops. If not you can desolder it and try again until you literally burn down the board.
>>
>>56996114
first heat the spot where you are soldering then you put solder. practice!

https://youtu.be/aIab66EgfHM
>>
>>56996114
see>>56996155
>>
Soldering is pretty easy to grasp but it requires a certain technique that you develop through practice. You should find old discarded electronics like an old DVD player or something and take them apart and practice by removing the components from the boards.

Get rosin core solder, a solder sucker, and some solder wick, and optionally but recommended get flux. Flux cleans the parts of the board you're trying to solder to to ensure that the joint holds properly. Solder usually has a bit of rosin flux in the core but more flux does not hurt. Acid flux is not designed for electronics so don't use it.

Also if you ever encounter a component that appears to be free but still does not come loose add a bit more solder to the joint and then try using the solder sucker again.
>>
File: 1475688833781.jpg (190KB, 1011x663px) Image search: [Google]
1475688833781.jpg
190KB, 1011x663px
>>56996114
I recommend getting perfboards and an assortment of cheap components for practice. Also pick up some copper braid for easy desoldering.

Bonus point if you actually pick up electronics as a hobby and make shit.
>>
I've head using solder paste and heating it w/ the iron is a lot easier and does the same trick as solder+iron.
>>
What I did was I got a flat piece of wood then some random new solder then played with the bead of solder on the wood, and see how it stuck to different objects after I was satisfied with my testing I began useful application.
>>
>>56996114

there is nothing to it

surface mount parts can be hard but through hole like a big PSU cap is very easy
>>
>>56996114
Everyone has there own style and there own way of learning how to do it. Expect your first attempts to look like shit. Practice until it looks good.
>>
Changing caps is probably the easiest form of DIY soldering. If you wanna learn, buy a broken Sega Game Gear or equivalent for $5 off of ebay and a cap kit for another $5, sell your now working Game Gear for $20 and repeat until you get gud at it
>>
>>56996114
>>56996616
The very tip of the iron is usually the hottest, if that makes contact with part of the solder it will melt instantly if your have a good iron. otherwise you will have to twist and dig it into the solder to get it to melt which is no fun. You have to pull the part from the other side while you do it . I start at one end of the component and rock it back and forth alternating the points that I melt it, but I have no proper tools and it usually is a crude method.
>>
>>56996114
for starters, get this (and the others, it's a series worth watching): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s

You need desoldering practice and soldering practice. So get yourself a kit or something to practice, and desolder a bit from broken electronics.

Motherboard caps area tricky because it's easy to damage the board, PSU capacitors are tricky because, well... let's just say I blew one up. I've made that countless times now, and the PSU was actually the only one where it didn't work. I found out the reason as well: pregnant PSU Caps are mostly just a symptom of the disfunktion, not the cause.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.