[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will IBM ever go back to the consumer electronics market?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: fuck me.png (62KB, 1194x700px) Image search: [Google]
fuck me.png
62KB, 1194x700px
Will IBM ever go back to the consumer electronics market?
>>
No, it's full of manchildren nowadays
>>
>>56991917
something something microsoft
>>
>>56991917
No, consumer market has become the big business.

IBM doesn't have the heft to compete with the likes of Apple and Google anymore.
>>
>>56991917

No damn way. Their future is enterprise cloud and watson, that's it. They've done huge pivots in the past that have no distanced them hugely from the consumer market.

>>56991928

No it isn't... It's predominantly men in their mid-late stages of their career who have worked there forever and aren't particularly ambitious, and young people who will quit after two years because they want to work in a company that's more exciting. The only good places to be are Watson and leading edge cloud stuff, and only old genius people who've been with IBM for 30 years fill these spaces.

Oh and half of the company is in India.

>>56991936

They certainly have heft, just not in the same way Google or Apple does. It's a company of 650,000 people, of half that if you don't count the Pajeets.
>>
>>56991917
No, I think they were stupid for leaving it to be honest. Yeah I think they made a good idea to get out of the PC market but stupid for not replacing it with something else. HP fucked up too.
>>
>>56991995
The sheer amount of production needed to sustain a modern consumer product is enormous. It may not seem like it but there's a very good reason Apple was outsourcing to Chinks long before the first iPhone- it costs an insane amount just to get a product out of the factory
>>
>>56991917
they shifted to enterprise and big buisness solutions + they are big in R+D so they have a good playground where they a the big guy

consumers are fickle and dont get SLA's or pay for technical support unless they are appletards which stick with iRetard products

only a fool would try to compete in the high tech market against established companys the game has changed it is not 1990 anymore
>>
File: Siemens_S65_AF.jpg (2MB, 2182x3504px) Image search: [Google]
Siemens_S65_AF.jpg
2MB, 2182x3504px
>>56991917
I miss Siemens phones.
>>
File: ph_lg_2701.jpg (16KB, 220x249px) Image search: [Google]
ph_lg_2701.jpg
16KB, 220x249px
>>56991917

I paid fucking megabux as a teenager for this phone. This was back in the day when having a 256 colour display was a big thing.

The "6mno" button stopped working after a few months. Same exact thing happened to my friend..... I was so fucking pissed so not really.
>>
>>56992496
>>56992523
Same goes for Siemens they are a big infrastructure provider building big projects around the world for big bugs anybody that works in EE can atest to the Simatic or in infrastructure the the gas-insulated high volate switchgears they got no reason to worry about consumers since they are at bedrock level when it comes to infrastructure
>>
>>56992579

did they merge with Ericsson or something back in the 90's ? i cant remember
>>
>>56992660
siemens sold the mobile part of the company to benq in 2005 they never bought a handset maker themself i think
>>
>>56992660
Siemens sold their network business to nokia
>>
>>56991917
there's no fucking money in it unless you control half the market, PCs were never a real money maker for IBM compared to their mainframe/server/software/etc businesses

>>56992496
>shifted
they were there all along
IBM's just basically turned back into what if was before PCs, nothing really more
>>
>>56991917
>Will IBM ever go back to the consumer electronics market?
Not if they are smart. They tried it once and it blew up in their faces. They never made dollar one from PCs.
Old hands knew it was a mistake to move into a commodity market. But the marketing people envied the easy dollars that Apple was raking in. The "persistant innovators" had 3 tries at making a personal computer and each time it failed. The IBM board gave them one more chance with the stipulation that it be brought to market within a year. That's why they went for the 16-bit Intel chip rather than the better 32-bit Motorola chip; the Intel design tools were better. You could have had a 32-bit IBM PC in 1981 if they'd been given a little more time.
>>
>>56991928
It always was

80s home computers were game machines for manchildren
>>
>>56992496
>where they a the big guy
for you
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.