[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/calculators/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: casio.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
casio.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
My sister needs a Casio fx-CP400 calculator for high school advanced math. It's what her school needs us to buy.

How do you rate this calculator?
>>
>>56990368
It's a calculator alright.
>>
>>56990368
Why are calculators still a thing when we carry around cell phones?
>>
File: 20160922_205206.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160922_205206.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>56990368
Pic related, it's a CASIO FX-991 ES PLUS C, identical to the FX-115ES PLUS
>tfw my university has a retarded calculator policy where it requires the American model version despite being in Canada
>tfw will have to buy a new one for my exams
>>
>>56990437
Because in a fucking test you can't use a cell phone? Or because people need reliable calculators? Or because not everyone has their cell phone up their asses all day long?
>>
File: 20160922_205313.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px)
20160922_205313.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>56990460
>>
>>56990437
Because not only does every high schooler want a smart phone and can be trusted to not text in class, but also they should need a smartphone to take a math class
>>
>>56990437
I'll take a calculator over my phone any day
>>
>>56990505
>Because in a fucking test you can't use a cell phone?
Why not? Cheating? You can do that with your average graphing calculator and we did.
>Or because people need reliable calculators?
What's not reliable about a modern cell phone?
>Or because not everyone has their cell phone up their asses all day long?
Then why aren't calculators more advanced?
>>
>high school advanced math
>Anything other than a Ti-83 or Ti-84
Hell, even any standard scientific calculator is more than sufficient all the way until calc 2
And even then they won't let you use the fancier ones, you have to stick with 83/84/89 or Casios
>>
>>56990659
>not telling the teacher off then proceeding to use your HP 50g
lrn2school
>>
>>56990659

This is in Finland, the world's most advanced school system.
>>
>>56990691
I repeat my previous statement.
You're not doing advanced vector calculus in highschool, and even if you were you still don't need anything more than an 83/84 to do it.
>>
>>56990368
TI-89 titanium for calculus/analysis; anything below that a $50 Casio FX9750II will do for graphing applications. I like the HP35s for non-graphing engineering applications if they don't let you use a computer. I've never needed to use a full pocket CAS for any test ever, and if I needed it for a class I'd just bring my computer or phone, with Sage/Maxima alongside Octave/Genius/R installed.

If you absolutely need it, calculators are literally all about the same price in 3 tiers, numerical only (~10-20), RPN and Graphing (50-70), and calculus/CAS (120-150). Just buy whatever you need.
>>
just buy an HP 35s/50g and call it a day.

RPN masterrace
>>
>>56990659
>standard scientific calculator is more than sufficient all the way until calc 2
Nah. Kids should be graphing in trig/pre-calc.
>>
>>56990368

hilarious meme
>>
>>56990659

>Hell, even any standard scientific calculator is more than sufficient all the way until calc 2

top fucking jej
>>
>>56990368
>buying the touchscreen jew
>>
>>56990368
I rate it as required by her school. So they probably based their lessons around its mode of operation.
>>
Literally what. What the fuck kind of math are these kids doing that they need a calculator like that?

How expensive is it? Is it negotiable? No fucking university professor is going to allow that thing on tests, and you'll have to buy a TI-84 or similar regular calculator.
>>
>>56990368
Seems a bit fancy for a high school class but I don't keep up with calculator tech so who knows maybe thats perfectly suited for a modern day math class. I mean kids in high school now probably have never had a phone without a touch screen so why should their calculator be any different?
>>
>>56990368
>high school
>requiring students to bring in their own expensive advanced calculators instead of providing it to the students
Not even America is this fucked
>>
>>56990368
You don't need a calculator for high school maths. I was meant to use one but I only really needed a cheap scientific calculator if there was some dumb numerical calculation.

I remember other kids used to have programs written by the teacher to solve certain problems though which is a cop out in my opinion.
>>
>>56992911
graphics calculator I might add.

They are deprecated out of high school by Mathematica anyway.
>>
>>56990437
Very convenient
It's much easier to take our your calculator, type in a complex expression with various dedicated buttons for cos and tan inverses, logs and factorials and hit a button to get the answer instantly.

This versus using a flimsy as fuck application where all the buttons don't even fit in a screen and you have to toggle between basic operations and more advanced operations all the time
>>
>>56992933
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>56990553
>You can do that with your average graphing calculator and we did.

Do you really think that a calculator has the same potential as a smartphone when it comes to cheating or are you just baiting?

>whats not reliable about a smartphone

Way worse battery life and they are not as sturdy
>>
>>56992911
Yeah you do. Kids need a visual and mathematical understanding of how various functions work. What's the difference between 2*sin(x) and sin(2x)? cos vs sin? tan vs arctan? Graphs illustrate that and show what those functions mean. How the input is related to the output. You've got to be able to play with graphs and mess with the function's parameters to get an intuitive sense of what's happening mathematically. Books can't offer that as easily and doing it by hand every time is infeasible. Graphing calculators are great.

Even simple arithmetic with calculators is useful. If you're learning calculus then you need to practice with a bunch of calculus problems. Calculators handle the menial work so the kids can focus on understanding the calculus part. The teacher already knows that they know how to add numbers together so why force them to do that all the time when they should be finding derivatives? Calculators facilitate doing more math and learning more.
>>
File: hero.jpg (11KB, 260x308px)
hero.jpg
11KB, 260x308px
>>56990368

OP......seriously consider it
>>
>>56993071
Someone got their internet feelings hurt.
>>
>>56993043
Basic sums aren't maths. I did a pure maths degree and used the calculator once. Fuck off retard, most of the best mathematicians never used a calculator. Honestly just kill yourself you are an embarrassment.
>>
>>56993092
>learning high school math is the same as what mathematicians do
Obviously mathematicians don't use calculators, idiot. How is that relevant? But to learn calculus you do calculus problems. Calculus problems involve, you guessed it, basic sums. And stop telling everyone to kill themselves you fucking child.
>>
>>56992911
>school literally requires a specific calculator for the class
>lol you don't need it
>>
>>56993107
High schools should start with the basics like group theory. Honestly I bet you use arch Linux. None of the calculus problems really needed a calculator to do sums. You can do most of it in your head or just leave it in an algebraic form.
>>
>>56993013
No, I'm a univ student so I use these things daily
For any serious computation or calculating something during class, phones cannot be beat by calculators. I tried using my smartphone for calculation during class.
My answer came in the last, while everyone using calculators got theirs ages prior
>>
>>56990691
Mene nyt no vittuun täältä
underage b&
>>
>>56990460
I have the regular PLUS, without C, how fucked am I? It's pretty much a staple calculator in every single school and college here.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.