[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mouse in VIM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: vim.jpg (120KB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
vim.jpg
120KB, 1100x1100px
So, i've been using VIM for 6 months now on my Win7 and Debian machines. Nothing fancy really just the basics and when i want to do something i just look it up on the wiki and it works.

One thing i like is being able to resize split windows with the mouse, scrolling up/down with the mouse and clicking to move the cursor. Of course i'm using the keyboard more but sometimes it's just handy to use the mouse.

My problem now is that on my new PC i can't use the mouse and it's driving me nuts, really..
:set mouse=a

just doesn't seems to work on my new setup. The mouse still can select things, and the right clic paste, but i can't move the cursor with it and i can't scroll or resize anything...

I'm wondering if it's because i'm on windows 10? And the terminal is worst than the one on win7.
Does anyone have experienced a similar issue ?

>use gvim
No i don't wanna, i want to stay on the terminal
>install gentoo

I think i'm just gonna have to learn to do stuff only with the keyboard now. I know there's shortcuts for everything i was doing with the mouse but i did use the mouse for so long now that it's hard to switch just like that. On new small projects it's fine but on the larger one when i have to move around a lot i take my mouse to realize it's not working, then i spend time searching for a solution, etc.
Or maybe it is time for me to try emacs
>>
>>56986337
Oh wow you use vim how awesome
Your hakzor nao
>>
Just stop using the mouse.

nj = down n lines. Same for nk
nG = go to line n. Default is end of doc. gg goes to start.
C-) = forward in sentences, ( for backward
C-} = forward in paragraphs, {
/string = find string, n to search forward, N to search backward
F x = find x on the line.
While on brackets i.e., (, [, {, % will take you to the matching closing bracket.

You don't need a mouse in vim ever. Eventually you'll be faster than you are now with a mouse in anything.
>>
File: 1474910193014.png (169KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1474910193014.png
169KB, 1920x1200px
stop using vim wrong and stop using windows
>>
>>56987421
>Eventually you'll be faster than you are now with a mouse in anything.
By that time I'll have spent more time trying to master vim that I'll ever gain from having mastered vim.
>>
>>56987455
use it while you code, install vimperator/vimium for your browser and use that

being in the mindset of vim in all your daily tasks will help you. it's useful to always be mindful of using movement keys. learning them is essential. there's no reason to use vim and use a mouse. that's just retarded and you need to get over the crutch of using it

vim is not that hard to use. it takes practice, do vimtutor everyday, code everyday. they go hand in hand and being proficient in both is better than having mastered either. you're never going to master vim nor programming
>>
>>56987455

You'll get used to it much faster than you think you will. I did, at least. It was worthwhile because little edits to config files and editing non-compiling code is far easier with the simple commands vim provides you with. You can just get to the exact part and do whatever efficiently. It's not unrewarded effort.
>>
File: serveimage.png (545KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
545KB, 640x640px
>vim
>windows
>>
File: Captura de pantalla (11).png (163KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Captura de pantalla (11).png
163KB, 1440x900px
>>56987553
What's the problem?
>>
File: out.webm (152KB, 642x416px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
152KB, 642x416px
>>56987587
OP can't :help and do this.
>>
>>56986337
>i want to stay on the terminal
What terminal program are you using?
>>
>>56987421
>>56987475
>>56987532
>You don't need a mouse in vim ever. Eventually you'll be faster than you are now with a mouse in anything.
I know that's what everyone is saying, it's just that it doesn't feel right now that i've been using the mouse for so long. Also doing that >>56987794
is awesome.

>>56987434
>stop using windows
why? it was fine with win7

>>56988011
>What terminal program are you using?
it's the cmd.exe from windows 10, i also have the same results with powershell.
>>
>>56988144
>it's the cmd.exe from windows 10, i also have the same results with powershell.
Well there's your problem, MS can't make a decent terminal because most people aim to use CLIs as little as possible in windows.
Just use gvim, it's far better on windows because of the greater control you get over the UI.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.