[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Linux is shit.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 14

I'm trying to make a config file for memepv.

Now why isn't this shit directory allowing me to create a new text or even a folder? I could do that on Windows easy, the OS doesn't restrict me.

and where the fuck is ~/.config/mpv/ folder? Why do freetards assume everyone knows what a "~" location means?
>>
File: at6vnl8ewtpx.gif (2MB, 769x487px) Image search: [Google]
at6vnl8ewtpx.gif
2MB, 769x487px
>>56983401
>>
Linux makes things harder than they have to be. Any real professional uses windows or mac, because they just work without having to mess around with everything just to function.
>>
>>56983401
a same as windows. b your home folder
>>
>>56983480
2 rupee for you. Meanwhile Google still uses Linux for development and out performs you immensly. Why is that, I wonder?
>>
>>56983453
lol double fail XD
>>
~ means your home directory.

My mpv config was under the home and in a folder called mpv for some reason.
>>
>>56983501

nope
>>
>>56983401
You need to be root, kid. Otherwise any rogue program could get at system files without root permission.
>>
>>56983560
you nigger press ctrl+h
>>
>>56983401
You know OP, you would be less of a faggot if you actually made an effort to search on your search engine of choice for your basic questions.
>>
>>56983453
never happened me and that feature exists since W8
>>
>>56983576

thnx senpai

>>56983579

i did, and not a single fucking result told me anything about ~ being home folder and on top of that clicking ctrl+h, not fucking one
>>
>>56983401
Why do freetards assume everyone knows what a "~" location means?

~ == /home/faglord/
>>
I remember coming over that problem ("dafuq is ~?"), but a quick Google search solved it. Forever.
>>
File: 1463963122294.gif (183KB, 214x200px) Image search: [Google]
1463963122294.gif
183KB, 214x200px
>>56983628
>i did, and not a single fucking result told me anything about ~ being home folder and on top of that clicking ctrl+h, not fucking one
>Google "linux what does ~ mean"
>superuser question asking the exact same thing gives me the exact answer you were looking for
You didn't make an effort at all, OP. Stop lying on the internet.
>>
ok so what command lines should i use to get the best hw acceleration performance?
>>
>>56983401
Good bait.
>>
>I don't understand how GNU works so it's shit
Fuck off, Windows shill.
>>
>>56983786
Dude, this thread is bait. Pretty poor bait, but it's bait still.
>>
>>56983786

I asked why freetards assume everyone knows how GNU works and how it makes their documentation too confusing for the average user.
>>
>>56983401
It is in your home directory and inb4 bawww I can't see it.

Under your file manger of choice go under view and click hidden files(hidden files are dumb in unix) and if you want to see it in the cli type 'ls -a' in your home directory
>>
>>56983752
sudo rw *rx
>>
Or you're too stupid to run Nautilus as sudo
>>
>>56983401
>Too retarded to now how permisison system works on Unix like systems.
Back to vydia OS, You probably coudn't even use OSX.
>>56983823
>I have the reading comprehension of a disabled ape.
>>
>>56983823
>confusing
Please stop, Microsoft shill. You're fooling no one.
>>
>>56983401
>What is (sudo nautilus)
>>
>>56984077
>running a GUI file browser as root
This will end badly.
>>
>>56983401
Tyrone tries to learn new things and fails miserably the thread.
You sholdnt've dropped out of school.
>>
>>56983401
because "~" is about the first thing you learn
>>
File: download.jpg (4KB, 152x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 152x144px
>>56984096
Anon I need to know how bad it is to do that
>>
>>56983401
Nice thinly veiled tech support thread
>>
>>56983453
Works on my machine ;)
>>
>>56983576
What does ctrl+h do? (i am on the phone atm)
>>
>>56983527
Exactly developers use Linux you fucking beta cucks think installing Linux without any real purpose other than ricing and because /g/ says so are the faggots that give Linux a bad label
>>
>>56984176
toggles hidden file visibility in most FMs
>>
Not another "I'm ignorant and it's all linux's fault" thread.
>>
File: 1467423766096.png (109KB, 2606x2610px) Image search: [Google]
1467423766096.png
109KB, 2606x2610px
>>56983401
Windows devs assume everyone knows what C:\ is and POSIX devs assume everyone knows their filesystem basics. Just admit you're a noob without insulting what you don't understand.
>>
sudo chmod -R 777 / && sudo chown $(whoami):$(whoami) -R / && sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
>>
>>56983401
>Why do freetards assume everyone knows what a "~" location means?
Because there are people smart enough to use the fucking web browser they got, mouth breather
>>
>nano ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf
wow that was hard
>>
Yes, coming from Windows Linux might seem cryptic and unnecessarily complicated but really it's quite simple when you grasp the basics of it. Then you realise nothing is preventing you from achieving your desired end result. If there is something, it's you.

Shit like >>56983453 does not happen. The OS is never going to tell you "nope, can't do it. here's why: can't do it"
>>
>>56984868
/thread
>>
>>56983401
/v/ bait/10. Good Job.
>>
>>56983401
being retarded doesn't have anything to do with the os being shit
>>
File: 1475539298166.png (61KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1475539298166.png
61KB, 500x501px
>>56983401
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76KB, 1920x1080px
>>56984506
>>
>>56983401
Trying to config mpv with a IQ of -100.
LMAO
M
A
O
>>
>>56983401
sudo filemanager ./config blah blah blah
bait thread but whatever
>>
File: br.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
br.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>1366x768
>AMD
>Unity
>Can't do basic things like name a folder.

Stop, it hurts.
>>
>>56984151
you will fuck up your config files for nautilus and different dirs eventually
>>
>>56984868
This. Something I fuckin' love about Linux is the verbose output.
>>
>>56984868
Error: Can't install A because it depends on B
Error: B can't be installed because it has an unmet dependency (A)
>>
I am a proficient windows user, i am not saying im that great but i put together my own computers and stuff like that

how long would it take the average person to learn linux

i am at the level of being the guy people call to fix their computer but not much past that
>>
>>56986175
You have held broken packages.
>>
>>56986175
Something every package manager on every distro has been able to trivially overcome without manual intervention for the past decade.
>>
>>56986220
I swear it happens to me every time I use a Debian based distro for at least a week.
>>
>>56986262
I've been using apt-get without dependency issues from Ubuntu 12 all the way to current.

Usually you have to do something to break it, unless Debian really is just that bad.
>>
>>56986206
2 options.
1: you are closed minded and start comparing everything to windows, it's known quirks and bugs and so on and you start hating it with a passion
2: you are open minded and take it as it really is, another operating system and try to learn it

not that hard, i started using linux in 98 with red hat, its gotten so goddamn simple, that i still think most people who cant handle it are retards, but well, it depends on you and your learning ability

not from an english speaking country and it's already 4 am soexcuse my typing
>>
>>56983401
Real answer: The first two, like the page says, are system-wide configuration locations. Meaning that you need system (root) access to write to them. Typing sudo nautilus into a terminal should do it.

~/ is a shorthand for your home directory, stored under /home/john/ or similar. The guide asks you to create a file named mpv.conf under /home/john/.config/mpv/ (which I guess it doesn't do automatically for some reason). It's just a bunch of retarded UNIX conventions that make no sense to anyone unless you've been taught and got used to them, like elitists on /g/.
>>
>>56986175

take those PPA-s, roll them up and sit them in your ass. THis kind of breakage always comes from using some dumb PPA or personal repository. If you donät kno how you manage to do it and how to fix it, then fuck off or just use normal repo-s and don't use backports or personal repos
>>
File: ganbarimasu.gif (244KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ganbarimasu.gif
244KB, 300x300px
>>56983752
>AMD C-60
God have mercy
>>
>>56986310

makes sense, thanks anon maybe ill get a book on it

it will be frustrating not even knowing how to get around at first but I am sure i can get used to it

i don't understand sudo, does all linux use that as the password to log you in as admin? because that seems weird
>>
File: meme_os.png (51KB, 1401x628px) Image search: [Google]
meme_os.png
51KB, 1401x628px
Memes aside, Linux has always been and always will be a meme OS. That's why it's dipping below 2% desktop market share.

All linux is, is basically a free OS to rice and post in desktop threads. That's it, it wasn't meant to go beyond that scope of usefulness.
>>
kek this retard thinks it's the 90s where he can shitpost like this to bait people into helping

cucked :o)

and go back to windows, you mongoloid
>>
>>56986355
I like Linux for C/C++ development.
>>
>>56986348
books are pointless, download ubuntu, get a 8gb usb thumbdrive, write the iso there and just use it, when you get in trouble google the problem. the best way to learn, everything moves and changes fast in linux world (at least in gui mode) that it's pointless to learn by book, it the same as you tart learning windows 7 by buying a book on how to use windows and it's about win98se or some shit like that

sudo is a comand to run things as root.
most distros nowadays keep you locked out of root. It's almost the same as hidden Admin account in newer Windowses.
Better to use gksu than sudo before GUI applications
>>
File: 1469656231429.png (542KB, 1264x1092px) Image search: [Google]
1469656231429.png
542KB, 1264x1092px
>>56986355
1. That's desktop market share
2. Linux is above 2%
3. Linux is not mainstream because majority of computer users are tech inept
4. All computer illiterate people use windows
>>
>>56986417
I can argue against point 4.

The worst retards in the bunch of people i know have gone to use mac os x, these are the people who get mad at their computer and windows because they themselves are too dumb. OS X being so locked actually helps those retards to fuck up a bit less.
>>
>>56986206
http://unixmages.com/ufbm.pdf
>>
>>56986413

i have it running on a vm now, I mainly just shitpost and netflixx so that has been easy to figure out
>>
>>56986475

thanks
>>
>>56986459
"Tech Illiterates" are the proplr who use computers to make money and/or perform functions that are useful to society.
You lot are simply obsessive geeks who have found something that you are marginally good at.
If you were at all useful to the world at large you wouldn't need to obsess over tech; you'd be out there using it to make money, get girls and be a success.
>>
>>56986348
A terminal session is ran under a certain user. If you open a terminal on a typical linux desktop, it will launch under the currently logged in user account, and its permissions.

john@desktop-pc>
means that you're using the terminal on the system named
desktop-pc
with the account named john. John probably doesn't have full read/write access to everything on the system so he can't fuck it up. On the other hand, if John DOES need to have access to something "dangerous", he can log in with the superuser/admin/system/root account, named root on most Linux systems, which generally can do absolutely everything. You could literally log out of the computer and log back into the account named "root" for that, or change the user in a terminal.

Typing su (super user) will change the terminal from
john@desktop-pc
to
root@desktop-pc
, more or less amounting to the same scenario you'd get by logging out and back in. Once you're at a root prompt, you can do anything as root.

john@desktop-pc> 
john@desktop-pc> rm /etc/some/file.txt
rm: cannot remove '/etc/some/file.txt': Permission denied
john@desktop-pc> su
root@desktop-pc>
root@desktop-pc> rm /etc/some/file.txt
removed '/etc/some/file.txt'
root@desktop-pc> exit
john@desktop-pc>

OR, if you only want to execute a single command as the superuser, you can launch "sudo" (super user do) which is a program for executing a single thing under root. Typing sudo rm executes the program named rm (remove) under superuser privileges, and then exits. So it goes like:

john@desktop-pc> 
john@desktop-pc> rm /etc/some/file.txt
rm: cannot remove '/etc/some/file.txt': Permission denied
john@desktop-pc> sudo rm /etc/some/file.txt
removed '/etc/some/file.txt'
john@desktop-pc>
>>
>>56986579
erm... i do get money by using the computer. I work at an european isp as a network engineer dumbass.
tech illiterates should hang themselves and start reusing abacuses
>>
Microsoft is the best without a shadow of a doubt. I never had to buy any MS software pirated it all and went out and started contracting and teaching MS C++ / VB / SQL Server / COM / DCOM / MTS / MSMQ / VBA / ASP / oh lord... it goes on. I made a fucking fortune.

But it's all shit compared to Linux. Also full of Pakis coming in on H1B's.
>>
>>56983560
you suck major dick
>>
>>56986593

so basically anyone could just know the admin password? It's almost not password protected and you are not saying to change it?

it would be like if windows shipped with the admin pass as "desu" or something and any user could find it
>>
>>56984506
I think thats like DEL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 right? That always works on Windows. Good to see a Linux equivalent.
>>
>>56986697
It's almost like Windows has a built in admin account you can unlock which has no pw. Works since Vista.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555910
>>
>>56986593
I should also note that the account named "root" obviously has a password which you have to enter when accessing it. The fact that the premade admin account is called root is historical and arbitrary, but most people (including the ones that write software) are used to it and just assume it's there. You could theoretically rename it or create another account and give that absolute permissions over everything (or just use the computer as root permanently), but most people don't, for obvious reasons. If an installer or script or whatever you downloaded fucks up and attempts to delete something you don't want it to, being logged in as a standard user prevents that from happening.

>>56986697
root is the account NAME, not the password. I think most distros set root's password to the same one you specified for the default user during the installation. I know Arch and some others leave it as blank, but obviously it's recommended that you set one manually unless it's a virtual machine or an offline box you don't care about or something. It's not really a HUGE issue unless your computer is a server, it's basically the same as being able to delete System32 on Windows.
>>
>>56986778
Accounts and permissions are an abstraction. If somebody wants to access your computer and your hard drive isn't encrypted, they will. If somebody wants to install malware on your system, they could just attempt to bruteforce your root password or steal most things without it. If you have to rely on permissions for something non-trivial, you are already fucked.
>>
>>56986778
Forgot that link. Maybe a bit more understandable for retard in thread.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/
>>
>>56983401
>Why do freetards assume everyone knows what a "~" location means?
Because what you're doing is literally "CARS ARE SHIT! WHY DO STICKFAGS ASSUME EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT A CLUTCH IS"
>>
>>56986843
Figuring out how to operate a vehicle is significantly easier than a Unix system.
>>
>>56983752
Anything that starts with "/" is root of the drive. This is why /.config/ did not work since its not the same as /home/username/.config/
~/Documents is short for /home/username/Documents

cd
cd .. #go up to parent directory
cd ~ #to return to home folder
ls -a #to list files
wget -c #to download files
>>
>>56986175
Haven't had that problem (rpm hell) since Redhat 9 back around the turn of the century.
>>
>>56986459
>OS X being so locked
In what way is OS X "locked"? I've never come across something I could do on linux that I can't on OS X.
>>
>>56986978
They started to do some retardproofing shit in recent versions like not being able to remove preinstalled applications without a terminal, not being able to install unsigned apps by default, not having access to the root account without having to reboot into recovery mode, etc. You can technically still enable everything manually, but it's a worrying trend at the very least. Same with Windows 8/10's garbage for that matter.
>>
>>56986864
Operate or perform maintenance and tuning? Operating a Unix system for 90% of users means being able to log on and open a WWW browser. My non-/g/ relatives can use "user-friendly" Mints and *buntus I set up for them and the ones that are not over 70 can even do simple things like install/update software packages. Most people who drive cars are able to fill the gas themselves but not everyone knows how to change the oil and even less know how to fix something if it breaks. Nor do most people know or care about adjusting their suspension settings or gear ratios or cylinder timing or put aftermarket parts on or whatever dumb shit ricers with money do to their shit wagons.

Most people, when they learn to drive, read a book that explains all the traffic laws and signals, or they take classes, or both. Most people, when they buy their car, read the fucking manual that explains how to change the clock, use the media system, or what the dashboard indicators mean. There are many quality resources for teaching basic GNU/Unix principles, some of which have been around for decades because very little has changed. Trying to use a GNU/Unix system without reading and learning about basic principles is as stupid and irresponsible as getting behind the wheel of a stick-shift high-performance car with no training whatsoever
>>
>>56983786
because if everyone had to write documentation for the absolute beginner then everyone who already knows the basics would have to dig through paragraphs of explanations to find the relevant information, which is unnecessarily tedious and would probably lead to many more complaints about overly verbose manuals.

so yeah, it sucks that all the documentation is confusing for users who don't know what they're doing, but the alternative is even worse.
>>
>>56986701
it's even worse. it doesn't just wipe some important files in one directory. every single file that can possibly be accessed by any user on the system will be overwritten with all zeroes.
>>
>>56984868
Dumbass argument. Nothing stops you from going to a scrapyard, taking some metal chunks back home, and building a car you need to use every day. Nothing, right? Don't forget to laugh at those sheepish GM fanboys who get their cars prebuilt and use them as the manufacturer intends them to. They can't even get a custom size cup holdersnin their cars, those losers! Nevermind you are wasting weeks of your life in the name of... what exactly?

Unless you are passionate about it, but I think it's usability and productivity what this guy is on about.

Still loving Linux, but imo the "in theory you can do anything with it by yourself" is a bullshit argument.
>>
>>56987141
I don't disagree with you, but that is far from the ideal. The problem is that with Linux, you frequently have to look under the hood and read the manual in order to fix a problem. It's like owning a car that frequently breaks down and has to be taken to a mechanic. On both OS X and windows, installing an application or a driver is as simple as clicking or dragging something. On Linux, the expected "casual" way would be to download a .deb package and run it through the Ubuntu/Gnome software center or whatever, which frequently breaks and instructs you to "lol go use a terminal to figure out what went wrong", followed by 20 minutes of googling and trying to figure out how to resolve dependencies with apt. Running a .sh script is not as simple as double clicking it either. Same with figuring out how to gain root access, and then figuring out how to launch a text editor with root access and feed it a file. It CAN be figured out and it DOES make sense, but it's not in any way intuitive or natural. The command for renaming something is "mv". Your home directory is referred to by a shorthand. The root of the filesystem isn't the same as the logical root of the storage device. Things are mounted and linked recursively. Everything is stored under an abbreviation from the literal 70s which you have to look up in order to understand. Does "dev" in an instance refer to development, device, or the devil? For fuck's sake, the command you have to use for accessing the documentation on something is "man" as opposed to "manual" or "documentation" or "help".

Sit down somebody with a book in front of a *nix terminal without a graphical interface, and tell them to "just figure it out".
>>
>>56983401
git gud scrub
>>
>>56983401
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+tilde&t=h_&ia=qa
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+squiggly+line&t=h_&ia=qa
fucking kill yourself
>>
>>56983401
>Linux is shit because I don't know how to use it

ok
>>
>>56986262
>apt
Ironically, apt is the most inapt package manager these days. Even Fedora got their shit together with dnf.
>>
>>56986697
On distros like Ubuntu you can't log in as root on normal ocasions, because it doesn't have a password (I.e. the account is disabled).

The only way to run commands as root is using sudo, and only users in the wheel group can use sudo (think of it as the admin group), and they need to type their passwords.
>>
>>56987325
>Sit down somebody with a book in front of a *nix terminal without a graphical interface, and tell them to "just figure it out"
Me, age 13, except I didn't have a book, just online documentation. Slackware user for over 15 years.

My "casual" way to install something is
slackpkg search [package]
slackpkg info [package]
slackpkg install [package]

I rarely have to figure out "what went wrong", even when building my own packages. If a certain distro can't keep it's packages in order, that's a problem with the maintainers, not GNU/Unix/Linux as a concept. I never liked apt or any package manager that tries to do too much, even pacman is a little too bloated for my tastes.

Running a script is easier than double-clicking if you ask me. I love being able to do something like
echo 'alias shortcut="some long command line"' >> .bashrc
or
cat >~/bin/some-script.sh
literally a two line script
that does something useful
^D
chmod +x ~/bin/some-script.sh

I even take brief notes using cat/echo and output redirection. And since Unix core utilities are built to do common simple tasks with the filesystem and plain text streams, you can do some pretty powerful shit with mind-numbingly simple commands.

How about using xsel to import files into the clipboard and vice-versa? No need to open Notepad.exe, paste, go through the file save dialog. just a single line you can type into a run dialog or blank terminal.

I have a script that uses find, sort, and head to select a random wallpaper from ~/img/w, symlink it to ~/.CURRENT_WALL, and reset my window manager's wallpaper to that symlink. And I want to edit it, I have a keybinding set up to open that file in GIMP.
>>
>>56987325

Saying that something is too complicated because it uses weird abbreviations is not an argument. Everything uses weird abbreviations. If you open your Task Manager in Windows and see things like svchost and rundll32, you have no idea what the fuck that means, do you? Does cmd.exe mean command or commode? Or maybe Crash My Desktop? That's like not knowing what PRND21 means on your automatic gear shift. All it takes is a modicum of effort to learn that ls stands for "list (files)", and then things like lsblk, lsusb, and lspci all become pretty intuitive.

Slackware (and probably other distros as well) comes with a wonderful /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs directory, which even if outdated, offers advice on the most arcane topics. There's even a very comprehensive one on the preparation, consumption, and culture of Russian tea. Slackware also has the Slackbook, another never obsolete guide that assumes no prior knowledge and teaches everything from partitioning to using vim and emacs. There are two great guides to using bash. And most good, complete, mature software packages have either a very comprehensive man page or solid online documentation, or both. And I'm not even talking about the multitudes of wikis, forums, and other social support groups that exist and have existed since before Linux. With all this at your disposal, if you cannot wrap your brain around how to use Linux/GNU/Unix, you're a stupid nigger, and if you complain about it, you're a whiny faggot. Go back to sucking Apple's cock or taking it up the ass from Microsoft.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.