[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Direct Connect still the thing for filesharing at LAN-parties?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: DCPlusPlus.png (83KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
DCPlusPlus.png
83KB, 256x256px
Is Direct Connect still the thing for filesharing at LAN-parties?
>>
>>56980111
No, these things called "Shared Folders" are.
>>
>lan parties
You need to be 18 or older to post here.
>>
You realise pretty much every OS on the planet can share files natively, right? I have never used anything other than SMB shares at LAN parties.
>>
>>56980123
> implying anyone under the age of 20 has been to a LAN party

Do they even happen anymore now that we have fast internet and online gaming? Last time I went to one was in the early 00's..
>>
>>56980171
>fast internet and online gaming
I'm not into that cloud shit, tell me how to best share files on a LAN.
>>
>>56980111
This is used in our uni network to share pirated movies, games and music between students. Some guys have 50tb servers running.
>>
Samba
>>
>>56981211
That sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>56980111
Just use torrents
>>
File: 12401741_f520.jpg (53KB, 520x415px) Image search: [Google]
12401741_f520.jpg
53KB, 520x415px
>>56981015
FTP with access restricted to local addresses only
>>
Can you use direct connect with tor?
>>
>>56981751
>>56981774
Not suitable for LAN filesharing.
>>
>>56982306
Why are torrents not suitable?
>>
>>56981751
>>56982306

Torrents worked extremely well last time we had a LAN party.
>>
>>56982387
>>56982448
Well, having a DC hub is practical, you can see what files are available, and you can chat too, all without anything extra.
>>
>>56982306
While not ideal there's nothing wrong with torrents for lan.

They're not ideal because they're restricted to a specific file set where with other things like DC you can browse and pull anything people are sharing.

I'm waiting for IPFS to be finished myself, that should be pretty nice for file sharing in general (lan, wan, whatever).
>>
>>56982707
Isn't IPFS some kinda permanent web? I'm really not fond of the idea of distributed storage.
>>
>>56982718
More or less, it's permanent in the same way a torrent is permanent, someone has to have the data and be reachable.

>I'm really not fond of the idea of distributed storage.
Why not? It's great for reliability, in BitTorrent it's called "swarming" and with DC it's "segmented downloads", it's nice to be able to fetch content from whoever is closest/fastest instead of relying on a single server like with FTP. Although with LAN these are much less of a problem.
>>
>>56982768
Well, I'd prefer to use something more simple like DC for LAN filesharing.

I guess having it be permanent is more of a problem for websites.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.