[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black DVD for a PS2, how in the fuck does this work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

File: DSC_0019.jpg (839KB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0019.jpg
839KB, 3104x1746px
Black DVD for a PS2, how in the fuck does this work?
>>
>>56979218
Black vinyl records, how in the fuck does this work?
>>
>>56979242
A vinyl is not optical media you faggot
>>
That's a CD, you mouthbreather.
PS2 DVDs were silver
>>
>>56979247
The principle is the same you fucking retard
>>
>>56979218
it's still translucent for the wavelength of the laser you're reading it with.
>>
>>56979269
Then why does my record player work with the lights out by my CD player doesn't dumbass?
>>
>>56979269
Kek
>>
>>56979282
Because you're retarded, simple as that
>>
>>56979251
ps1 or ps2 actually had a few black ones and a few blue ones.
>captcha is "calle museum"
Its a sign
>>
>>56979282
>>56979247
you've been tricked hard friend :^)
>>
>>56979251
>>56979218
Ps1 CD Black
PS2 CD Blue
PS2 DVD Silver

not all ps2 cds were blue though
>>
Doesn't this affect the reflectivity of the media? And by extension, the life of the lens? Why would they do this?
>>
> ITT; fucklords who don't understand how optical media works

The plastic can be any fucking colour you want, as long as it is transparent enough for the laser to hit the data layer and bounce back out. Why the fuck are you people on this board?
>>
>>56979446
1) It gave them a unique look
2) They thought that using black discs would make them unreadable by a regular CD drive, obviously they found out they were wrong pretty quickly.
>>
>>56979496
>2) They thought that using black discs would make them unreadable by a regular CD drive, obviously they found out they were wrong pretty quickly.
Why didn't they test it instead of just assuming?
>>
File: disdain.png (183KB, 540x386px) Image search: [Google]
disdain.png
183KB, 540x386px
>>56979496
On some ps1 CDs (Tekken 2) there was one or two tracks you could read with a CD player.
I never knew if it was a feature or if the cd player was just reading the first thing it could apprehend.
>>
>>56979506
Why the fuck do you think we know..?
>>
>>56979528
>On some PS1 CDs

Should read
>On most CD format games ever released on any platform
>>
>>56979491
>The plastic can be any fucking color you want
can it be infrared?
>>
>>56979218
CD uses an infrared laser, so long as the material doesn't block IR, it'll work
>>
>>56979535
Because you know the story of why they chose black!!?!??
>>
>>56979218
Plastics that look almost opaque and black are transparent under IR light. Your TV remote has a little black window at the front where the IR LED's are located.

>>56979496
2) No competent engineer anywhere would think that
>>
>>56979506
From what I've heard early CD drives do have a problem reading PS1 discs, but most made after the PS1's release have no problem with it. Besides, they implemented other security measures, so it wasn't that important anyways, it was mostly done for the first reason.
>>56979528
Some PS1 games actually had regular CD audio after track 1, which could be played on any CD player. Some games used it to store audio, others just used it as a bonus feature or as a warning to not play it in a regular CD player.
>>
>>56979528
they were mixed-mode (both CD-ROM and CD-DA tracks on the same disc), the audio tracks are proper CD-DA
>>
>>56979547
What if the material is ir?
>>
Not sure why you faggots are talking about PS1 cd's being playable in a CD player are some special thing, they were ALL known for it.

CD-i, 32x, Ps2, PC, etc, if it had games on CD format then almost universally the music tracks, which were usually stored at the end of the disc and simply called to be played by the game, were playable on anything.

It is in no way some sort of special PS1 feature, it's because CD audio formatting was far far more space efficient than storing the audio as a wave file.

Jesus christ half the comments on here sound like they were lifted from a wiki page, did any of you shits even use these machines or were you too young?
>>
>>56979680
born 91
>>
>>56979680
We're talking about PS1 CDs because this is a thread about the PS1, retard. Obviously it wasn't the only console to have it, the Dreamcast even made having a CD-DA track mandatory.
>>
>>56979680
I owned a ps1 and saturn when I was like 5

How can I remember that shit?
>>
>>56979576
>2) No competent engineer anywhere would think that
It's the reason sony gave.
>>
>>56979242
Very differently, that's how
>>
>>56979218
It still reflects light so the laser can see it
>>
>>56979539
IR is not a color
>>
>>56979786

Brainlet
>>
>>56979816
gtfo kid
>>
>>56979786
Sure it is, just because you cant see it doesnt mean its not a color.
A person with a very low cone/rod count cant see normal colors
A mantis shrimp can see ir
learn to science.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (24KB, 687x215px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
24KB, 687x215px
>>56979982
> just because you cant see it doesnt mean its not a color.

That is literally the definition of colour. By your logic, everything from VLF to x-ray is colour..
>>
>>56980026
>because YOU cant see it
>>
>>56980026
pretty sure ir has an effect on the eyes. go weld without a mask and tell me how many colors you can see then.
>>
>>56980174
because IR light is the only light welding emits, fucking retard.
>>
>>56980174
>blast shit tons of the entire visible spectrum into your eyes to see the effects of IR
fucking retard
>>
>>56979982
IR is a spectrum and people can't define a spectrum they can not see in terms of color. Can a shrim write a science report on IR and define some of the colors?

Color is arbitrary, thats what people agreed on, because we share that same perception. ( an analogy would be the flow of electricity, people agreed it goes from + > -, but in terms of physics it goes from - > +)
>>
>>56980048
If the human eye cannot detect it, it is not a colour. Simple.

>>56980174
That's UV, not IR.
>>
>>56979982
>A person with a very low cone/rod count cant see normal colors
Thats a defect with the individual, not a property of light.

> learn to science.
No u, you dense cunt.
>>
File: 1446159669743.png (269KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1446159669743.png
269KB, 1280x960px
>>56979218
>what is physics??????
>>
>>56980295
Its uv:a,b,c and IR.
>>
>>56980308
Holy shit youre retarded.
>defines colour as needing to be seen with the naked eye
>ignores creatures that can see ir with the naked eye
>claims a human having an even further lack of ability to see colour is just a defect
>cant understand the irony
Found the australian, stay exiled cutns!
>>
>>56980326
We're talking about impact to the eye, and UV is the sole killer here. You can stare at IR as much as you want and feel no effect. Go stare at an electric bar heater, it will be blasting out IR levels magnitudes greater than the arc of a welding stick, but it's not going to burn up your retinas like a UV source.
>>
>>56980285
>people agree on color so it has to be right

>people agreed it goes from + > -, but in terms of physics it goes from - > +
>even thought people agree on something they are fucking wrong
WEW, you have new levels of brain damage
>>
>>56979506
why didn't AMD test the 8pin in the rx480 instead of just assuming the 6pin was enough?

We'll never know anon, we'll never know
>>
>>56980366
>You can stare at IR as much as you want and feel no effect.
Then open a cd burner and watch it burn a disc.
>>
>>56980346
what wavelengths other creatures are able to perceive is entirely irrelevant to how humans define colors
>>
>>56979218
>it's because CD audio formatting was far far more space efficient than storing the audio as a wave file.
They're the same thing you retard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_Digital_Audio
>Encoding 2 channels of LPCM audio, each signed 16-bit values sampled at 44100 Hz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV
>The usual bitstream encoding is the linear pulse-code modulation (LPCM) format.
>>
meant >>56980408 for >>56979680
>>
>black DVD for a PS2
>how in the fuck does this work
It works because you're an underage faggot and you don't even recognize a PS1 CD when you see it. Fuck outta here fagdildo.
>>
>>56980380
that is retarded and not how things work.
>>
>>56980380
>humans cant perceive atoms therefore they are not matter and have no mass
>>
>>56980346
>defines colour as needing to be seen with the naked eye
Yes, as does the rest of the world..
> Color (American English) or colour (Commonwealth English) is the visual perceptual property corresponding in humans to the categories called red, blue, yellow, etc.
> in humans
see also >>56980026. Unless you view the world through butterfly eyes..?

>ignores creatures that can see ir with the naked eye
Colour is a human definition. If Creatures that see IR have a definition for the spectrum they see, im all ears, but it is irrelevant as the term "colour" is a human concept.

>claims a human having an even further lack of ability to see colour is just a defect
A wireless receiver with a broken antenna receives a lower signal because the transmitter is faulty, not the receiver. Sound logic anon.

>cant understand the irony
Yes.

>Found the australian, stay exiled cutns!
Yep, hell of an exile, seafood the size of buses, incredible wilderness and game to take, and one of the lowest population densities on the planet. Enjoy your fucking mudshits and riotous niggers you cock smoker :^)

>>56980379
You can't possibly be this retarded.

>>56980457
And I bet you think you're just pretending to be retarded, amirite?
>>
>>56980457
yes it is. you can reproduce all colors with just three wavelengths. even if IR was visible you wouldn't be able to perceive more colors, there are only three types of cones in our eyes.
>>
>>56979218

LOL I get it because blacks dont work right
Very humorous observation OP
7/10
>>
>>56979680
I only had pirated PS1 and PS2 games.
>>
>>56979680
lel, i've never heard of a ps2 game with redbook audio

also, redbook audio is huge as fuck (raw, uncompressed PCM), the only reason it was used on earlier consoles was because;
a. the games didn't need a fraction of the space a cd provided
b. redbook audio didn't require anything from the cpu
c. for various reasons, most notably access times, levels were typically loaded entirely into system memory, leaving the cd to do nothing while not in a loading screen
this all made CD-DA both free to implement, and also happened to be the highest quality audio available, too

your "it's more efficient than wave" comment is interesting, wave is a container format, so that alone makes no sense
and if you mean the modern typical usage (storing uncompressed PCM with a header for convinience), then it's slightly bigger than redbook audio (only because it has no header)
but that's not accurate either, as back then wave was used for more than that, things like mulaw and especially adpcm were quite common as very cheap compression methods
>>
File: cat vision.jpg (43KB, 660x276px) Image search: [Google]
cat vision.jpg
43KB, 660x276px
>>56980527
Cats cant see red or something, maybe it was green.. either way point stands. All creatures eyes are different. Heres a hierarchy
>mantis shrimp - sees shit you cant imagine
>humans - deems itself master of colors
>cats - cant see green
>dogs - color blind

So your saying if we were a cat species, there would only be two colors or whatever? Maybe you can see how this is fucking retarded now.

Good thing we arnt dogs, because then you would deem colors completely imaginary and nonexistent.

pic related, cat vision. Green is now nonexistent.
>>
>>56979496
It's Sony you retard. They had knew that this was nonsense.
It was just to mark them, so it was easier to differ if it is an original disc or a fakecopy. Of course after a few years companies offered colored CDR's because of this.
>>
> This thread
> from wrong stupid CD/DVD knowledge
> to questioning colors and wavelenghts to science
> /g/ 2016

I hope 4chan closes soon.
>>
>>56983329
how can CD-R's be real if cats eyes can't see green?
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.