[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solaris

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: Oracle_Solaris_logo.png (9KB, 252x122px) Image search: [Google]
Oracle_Solaris_logo.png
9KB, 252x122px
Now that Solaris is officially dead, we need to determine what went wrong.
>>
>>56979016
Sun trying to jump on the open source bandwagon too late. If they went open source in the 90s when solaris was relevant maybe it would have went somewhere
>>
>>56979016
It's not dead though
>>
Meh, who cares?
OpenIndiana works fine on my workstation.
>>
>>56979016
Solaris doesn't have killer apps like Gimp or OpenOffice.
>>
>>56979016
It was only a matter of time. Oracle bought Sun. Even today, it's the saddest purchase in tech I've ever seen.
>>
>>56979452
They had a photoshop port :^^)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history#3.0
>>
>>56979492
Shit, that's pretty good. Photoshop 3 is better than GIMP.
>>
What kind of applications is it used for? Custom, internal enterprise software?
>>
>>56981538
Yes

but in the 90s it ran on expensive workstations and had major cad applications that ran for it like autocad, catia, solidworks, solidedge, nx, and pro/e
>>
File: can't arson the carson.jpg (208KB, 736x525px) Image search: [Google]
can't arson the carson.jpg
208KB, 736x525px
>>56979016
THE FUCKING LICENSE

Oracle, make Solaris GPL already!
>>
>>56979016
oracle killed sun
>>
>>56982453
Not really, GPL would mean nothing in this case as it's a copyleft license. For Solaris to survive it would need to be BSD licensed with more development so it can be used like the BSDs are today.
>>
>>56979466
>>56982474
These.

Anyway, I wonder if there is anyone proficient on /g/ with Solaris.
Why iwas this system good as UNIX?
>>
>>56982705
kek
>>
>>56982798

I've run it in a VM, it's not really a desktop OS so there is nothing to run on it, nothing being comparable got annoying so i gave up on it, im sure it was good for it's intended purpose but it made a shitty desktop experience
>>
>>56982705
Are you retarded? First, the bsd license is also copyleft. Second, developers went crazy for Linux, not bsd.

Check your facts before taling nonsense.
>>
If you want to rescue Solaris then this >>56982453

You won't get more attention than having your code GPL. To attract the broader kind of developers you got to give them stability. Oracle is not, but a license with which Linus Torvalds made all the buzz is.

Even linux users will try Solaris when they hear is GPL, Think on all those stallman lovers.

Is a sure foot on the linux community, even if Oracle is blind to see it.
>>
>>56984723
>BSD
>Copyleft
>kek
>>
OpenIndiana is the opensource Solaris. It has a rolling release distro called "hipster" that has versions of the most common GNU software that are comparable to Ubuntu LTS. If you're looking for bleeding edge software packages use joyents pkgsrc based builds.
https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/
>>
>>56982798
Sysadmin here.
Most of our servers are running Solaris 11 and some old Solaris 10.
It won't be dead anytime soon since Oracle gives you free licences with every server they sell.
It's a great enterprise server OS, really stable and we rarely get to find important bugs.
That said, it isn't really for you if you're more into free software.
>>
>>56987539
B-but nexeta OS!
>>
>>56979466
>tfw Apple and Sun didn't merge
It was a match made in heaven.
>>
>>56979016
>Now that Solaris is officially dead
did i travel back in time or wtf is going on?
>>
>>56979016
What went WRONG?
ORACLE of course. Has oracle ever produced a single piece of software that was:
-feature-par with the competition
-not more full of bugs than your mum is full of cum
-not slower than molasse suspended in cryostasis
-not the biggest security risk since their previous software release
-not priced at about a million (that's 6 zeros!) times what it's actually worth
?
>>
>>56989835
Wasn't that scrubbed? What about it?
>>
>>56987539
Is there any particular computing application for which OpenIndiana is preferable to Linux or a BSD? Or do people like it because they've gotten used to Solaris workstations and want what they're used to?
>>
>>56979016
Oracle bought it. Simple as that.

Why do you have to open up these old wounds?
>>
>>56990173
Mainly it was the first great containerization with zones. Zones are true containers rather than the cgroup/namespace hacks Linux uses.

It. was the home to ZFS/Dtrace before it was ported to *BSD. And BSD still uses Jails containerization.

So it really comes down to Solaris vs BSD for Unix guys and Solaris SMF (its init) is really great.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.