[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Age discrimination in tech?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1475848905608.jpg (71KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
1475848905608.jpg
71KB, 500x503px
I know most of you here are around 18, but there's gotta be someone who's almost 30 like me.

Has anyone experienced age discrimination in tech? I know that some companies only hire kids out of college and as soon as you turn 30, they fire you and replace you with someone who has no life and is easier to exploit since they work very long hours.

I'm kinda starting to get worried that I'll get fired for no reason other than some kid will work for less and work 12hr days.

Is anyone else worried about this shit?
>>
I'm 21 and I worry about this shit, cause even if I'm fine now I might not be in ten years. I assume it's mostly the trendy startups doing this shit but who knows.
>>
>>56973740
You should be worried more about pooinloos than age, but it's pretty related too

I'm no oldfag but they gotta be fucking stupid to fire someone smarter and with better code than someone that got out of codemonkey university

But anyway, if you get fired (and i hope not) then get to the big leagues for better pay, OP.
>>
>>56973761
Yeah, it's crazy. If you go the uni route, you'll probably be saddled with student debt as well and that will take a decade to pay off. If you lose your job in the mean time, you're fucked.

Also fucked are people who look older than they are. A lot of guys with high testosterone look 10 years older than they actually are. And shit like that will get you fucked by the HR.
>>
>>56973740
I'm 27 anon, it does worry me a little but hey, if they would've fired you for being old they probably weren't worth working for anyway. It's their loss.
>>
File: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (14KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
8-inch-floppy.jpg
14KB, 430x319px
>>56973740
30 is still young. I could see this being an issue around 45, possibly.

If you've been continually learning and actually paying attention to your job, then very few 20-year-olds would be able to match you skills and productivity-wise, 12 hour days or not.
>>
>>56973740
If you were fired it's because you refused to learn the new technologies and are now useless, not because of your age.
>>
>>56973791
>I'm 27 anon, it does worry me a little but hey, if they would've fired you for being old they probably weren't worth working for anyway. It's their loss.
I turned 28 today. And shit dawned on me that I'll be 30 soon. And few months ago I read an article about age discrimination, "ageism, in tech and how even 30 year olds are being discriminated against. Shit's crazy.
>>
>>56973779
>You should be worried more about pooinloos than age, but it's pretty related too
thats a good point as well. all these big corps like Google and, especially Facebook, are lobbying for more and more H-1B visas. It's all to drive salaries down and replace workers with cheap labor.
>>
>>56973740
Not worried. Places that do that aren't places you want to work, and pay less. If you work for such a place, at any age, you need to have a second round interviews lined up by the time your first year review comes along.

It's not to say you won't work 50 hour weeks elsewhere, just that they won't exclusively how green techs and programmers.
>>
>>56973740
Tell them you don't have (or want) kids.
It's that easy.

You'll be an even easier hire than the kids then, you've got experience and you have no giant boat anchors.
>>
File: logan.jpg (182KB, 1200x813px) Image search: [Google]
logan.jpg
182KB, 1200x813px
>>56973740
it;s coming
>>
It all depends on the job market I guess. My last company only ever employed 40yr old + people for technical services roles. I'm 27 and think I'm too old to be seen in any low paying positions now because they are full of kids but otherwise I don't worry. I won't worry until I'm in my mid 40s at least
>>
>>56973740
Why would anyone work past the age of 30? Did no one teach you how to save money?
>>
>>56973740
33 and senior systems analyst. Younger kids these days have terrible work ethic and to be honest, many are dumb as shit. My place hires as contract workers first to try them out and then fulltime later on if they are any good. If youre good at your job shouldnt have anything to worry about.
>>
>>56974068
thats a good point too.
>>
>>56974068
The most true thing ever said.
>>
>>56974068

Even though I believe you, it's still scary.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.