[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to /get good/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: distros.jpg (85KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
distros.jpg
85KB, 1024x768px
I started using GNU/Linux at the beginning of last summer, it's fun to mess around with the different desktops and I can could easily use any of the distros I messed with as my main OS (and I do) but I still feel like I don't know much about how to use Linux. Mostly all I ever have to do is install/uninstall programs. What are some things I could do that will force me to better understand it? Any tasks I should try to do that will force me to get better?
>>
>>56970975
Linux from scratch
>>
>>56970975
break shit, fix it
run more services
compile your own kernel
create an embedded system
I recommend doing all of this in a VM unless you've got an extra shitbox you want to dick around on
>>
make a LAMP stack
figure out how to use dm-crypt and encrypt your hard drive
try compiling a program from source
>>
>>56970975
>GNU/Linux

nice meme, fag.
>>
Use (exotic) hardware
>>
>>56970975
well i found going over the source code for various GNU tools will not only cement them in your mind as to their use but will also help you understand how the system works.

tldp has a good guide simply called the linux kernel which discusses the different kernel subsystems and how they're implemented, though you might be doing a lot of googling as you read it.
>>
Install Arch. Pacman has fucked me over so many times over the years that I've learned more about Linux than I possibly could from all the other distros combined.
>>
>>56971015
>iktf
>have laptop running variations of linux for few years
>wifi led never worked
>couple weeks ago complie kernel with 'led_triggers=y'
>now led illuminates when wifi card is active/on
>>
>>56971299
I used Manjaro for a while and even in that, pacman gave me a lot of trouble. Which is great, as long as I have time I glad it forces me to learn more. I might try Arch and see how far I can get. It was way over my head when I first tried it but maybe it will be easier now.
>>
Learn how to cool shit with pipes
No really pipes are fucking amazing. Pipe video / audio to an application. Pipe something into bash if you're edgy.
>>
The ride never ends.
>>
Use Slackware for a while. After you have mastered Slackware then install Gentoo. Your final trial shall be building your own distro.
>>
>>56971871
>Your final trial shall be building your own distro.
No! Fuck people want another distro. Just use Trisquel.
>>
>>56971871
i used slackware for ~2years and now use gentoo and funtoo on my main systems.
by the end, my biggest hate for slack was users that derailed threads trying to defend it
>>
just do more with it as others have suggested, set up webservers, learn nodejs, build shit, automate the shit you build with perl scripts, just have fun
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.