[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which thermal compound?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

A good friend of mine told me that I should be changing thermal compound on my CPU and GPU every 6 months. Well, it's been 6 months since I bought my computer and I feel like it's getting slow so I guess I should change.

Which thermal compound do you guys recommend? Also, how difficult is it to change it on a GTX 980?
>>
Download more RAM too, and remember to refill the blinker fluid in your car!
>>
you should never change the thermal compound on your GPU infact if you have no idea what youi are doing dont even take it apart
>>
Toothpaste
>>
>>56970263
except that thermal compound is an actual thing and should be changed every so often on the CPU but do not touch your GPU
>>
>>56970301
Don't forget to change the thermal compound on your ram sticks
>>
>>56970242
Your friend seems misinformed. You may change it if you swap out a cooling fan for a new one, but generally speaking you don't need to bother with a "6 month" regiment. If you want to get a good cleaning in, then MAYBE, if you want to, but it's definitely not necessary if you do it right the first time, but I take it you're able to apply enough paste the first time in a proper manner.

Just don't do it unless you change cooling systems for your cpu.

And for the gpu? Depends. Some are shitty and it might be better if you do, but most of them are fine as is. If it's crashing or you can see temps are getting way to high then generally you just leave it alone.
>>
>>56970522
>then generally you just leave it
Don't leave it alone. My bad. If temps are getting too high then look into it, but otherwise you don't need to worry about the gpu.
>>
>>56970242
You don't need to change "every 6 months"
Replace once and log your temps
When you see your temps dip(even after giving it a through dusting) then go ahead and replace it.
>>
>>56970242

There is literally no objective reason to change your thermal paste. Even if you are running a very old computer you do not need to do it if it was applied right the first time. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out how to apply thermal paste, so in most cases if your heatsink fins are dust free and your fans work, and the temperatures are reasonable, changing the paste will effectively change nothing.

If you haven't changed your CPU thermal paste like 10 times I wouldn't suggest you take on a GPU. They apply too much paste at the factory, but even if you changed the paste yourself you might see a drop of 2 degrees celcius. Not worth burning the warranty.

Instead of worrying about the paste just try to keep your system dust-free.
>>
>>56970596
>Instead of worrying about the paste just try to keep your system dust-free.
This. I'm a rocket surgeon and this is the number one way to prevent your computer from getting shitty and raising temps.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.