[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started reading effective modern C++ (C++11 and 14 update

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1475802281176.png (453KB, 496x484px) Image search: [Google]
1475802281176.png
453KB, 496x484px
I just started reading effective modern C++ (C++11 and 14 update book) and it got me thinking, why does Stourstroup insist in adding even more to the core language instead of developing the native library?

I would honestly rather have a more complete repertoire of native functionality (simple 2D renderer, terminal options, C++ sockets, pretty much all of libboost etc). I've been working as a C/C++ dev for 3 years now, and even those I work with that have more than a decade experience barely use most of C++11 features, its just too fucking massive, and they're already coming up with C++14. Even Stoustroup himself said he uses maybe 80% at most of the language on his projects.

Whats the reason behind this?
>>
nooblet C++ programmer bump for interest
>>
If there weren't so many libraries doing that already they probably would.

The thing is that C++ is used in everything, literally everything. So there has to be some use for some of its more complex features.
>>
>>56968575
I don't think this is an appropriate question for the /g/ community. You probably won't get anything but memes and people shittalking C++.

I am in the same boat as you and have to agree though. Maybe he's addressed it at a conference?
>>
File: 0336.png (146KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
0336.png
146KB, 640x360px
>>56968686

>Maybe he's addressed it at a conference?

He constantly states that C++ isn't meant to be used in its entirety, but I'm not sure why exactly he ignores the native library though.

I do remember a member of the dev team saying something about the 2D renderer, not sure what happened.
>>
>>56968575
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnWhqhNdYyk
>>
I apologize if this does not belong here but consider it a bump.

I just got a job where I will be working with C++. What is the best book/resource to get me up to speed? I have not used C++ since intro to programming in freshman year, I still remember the basics but I will need a resource that will allow me to go deep into the language as I will be using it for the next couple of years most likely.
>>
>>56970241

You shouldn't have said you knew C++ mate, its a bitch to get up to speed and work on big projects. I've seen 4 programmers fired for this same reason. Never lie about knowing C++.

Anyway C++ primer and effective C++ are among the best starting points.
>>
>>56970331
I didnt lie, they knew my level of experience with C++. I have only one C++ project on my github, I mainly use Go and C. They are fine with me reviewing it in my off time. But thanks Ill check those out.
>>
>>56968575
Because not everyone needs to code the same way. Only autistics spaz out when one programmer uses a range base for and another uses the vanilla version.
>>
>>56968950
I believe she talks an hour of useful things, but is there text version of this speech?
>>
>>56968575
>why does Stourstroup insist in adding even more to the core language instead of developing the native library?
Stroustrup is not in charge of C++ and hasn't been for 20 years you flaming faggot.

If it was up to him, C++ would have had a garbage collector some time during the 90s.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.