[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This board has a serial port at the 9oclock position towards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

This board has a serial port at the 9oclock position towards the middle and I use a dell latitude from fucking 2008 that weighs 100lbs to get information.

How do I reverse engineer this bitch? I just wanna plug my fucking smart phone into it to read the data it's putting out
>>
why not start a bit easier and try the USB port right next to it?
>>
bumping till i hit thread limit
>>
>>56966508
it might contain malware
>>
>>56966508
It doesn't output data through firewire port
>>
>>56966389
>from 2008
clealy has 2005 written on it

>>56966517
what, some kind of privilege elevation?
heh, elevation, from an elevator control board, i'm so silly
but seriously, you really think someone put android malware on a 2005 elevator control board?, just get a serial cable and serial>usb adapter then. why even post a thread? it's a standard port, no fucking around required
>>
serial to USB adapter, usb to micro usb adapter in your phone. terminal emulator.
>>
>>56966389

Serial->USB adapter
USB OTG adaptor for your android smartphone.
Was that that hard?
>>
>>56966389
So that's how a control board for an elevator looks like
>>
>hacking an elevator control board
Don't do it, OP. You could end up hurting people.
>>
>>56966598
yes

>>56966623
I don't want to hack an elevator control board. I want to simplify the control of the elevator.

I use an old laptop, outdated software, and it could be much simpler.
>>
>>56966644
>I use an old laptop, outdated software, and it could be much simpler.
and your phone has better software for interacting with this control board?
>>
>>56966389
Are you really so bored at work you're trying to fix elevators now?
>>
>>56966678
Holy fuck just about anything is better than the software I currently use, it's just as outdated (doesn't run on anything but Windows XP)

>>56966702
Fixing elevators is my work
>>
>>56966732
>Holy fuck just about anything is better than the software I currently use
i seriously doubt there is any software at all that will interface with your elevator available for android
you will at best be able to control it through serial via a terminal, but then you'd still be better off on a laptop as you'll have a physical keyboard
>>
>>56966732

>Holy fuck just about anything is better than the software I currently use, it's just as outdated (doesn't run on anything but Windows XP)

Anon
I have to have a native Parallel Port on my laptop for diagnosing issues with certain building control boards.
I have a 3.9kg CF-29 Toughbook running Windows 2000 I have to, frequently, lug up several flights of stairs, balance on step-stools, chairs, ladders, and more to debug and reset these boards. I can't even have a cable longer than ~12 feet. And even that cable rarely works. I frequently have to be within 6 feet of a box that may be mounted 30+ feet off the ground in the corner of a Warehouse.

Stop fucking bitching. Go work for the company that makes these fuckers and get them to modernize.
>>
>>56966926
great advice, thank you.
>>
>>56966732
Do you know what the communication protocol is like? Do you have detailed documentation?

Unless the board uses something pretty obvious, like a serial terminal arrangement, you'd have to re-implement the protocol.
>wire a serial-to-usb adapter in parallel to the serial connection, and record the communication between the laptop and the board
>correlate the recordings with commands from the laptop and replies from the board
>write a program that mimics the laptop's commands and interprets the board's replies
This could be simple or very difficult, depending on just how deep the protocol goes and how much information you have about it. You could end up with something that appears to work but can't handle a situation you haven't accounted for while implementing.
>>
>>56966968

The Comm protocol should be easy enough to RE over a serial connection.
>>
>>56967206
Not necessarily.
Suppose, for example, that the message structure is simple enough, but it has a large variety of error codes or bit fields representing various errors or states.
If the software usually handles the translation of these errors to meaningful text, and the actual codes or bits aren't documented, then OP would be in trouble whenever an error showed up that he hasn't seen before.
Since he supposedly makes his living dealing with faulty elevators, this could be a problem.
>>
>>56967328
>If the software usually handles the translation of these errors to meaningful text
Yep.
>actual codes or bits aren't documented
This information is purportedly proprietary, because if a fault is generated and someone clears it, then someone gets hurt, they look at who reset the fault.

You can see the fault codes and what they mean through our shitty windows XP software though.
>>
ITT: /g/ struggles to understand how to connect via COM port
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.