[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you apply your thermal paste /g/? Is there a right/wrong way?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: 1zf0qwj.jpg (106KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1zf0qwj.jpg
106KB, 640x480px
How do you apply your thermal paste /g/?

Is there a right/wrong way?
>>
Pre-applied thermal paste on coolers always cover the entire thing, so that's what I do, too.
>>
>>56963457
Only do this if you want the smoking man to appear
>>
>>56963457
>put an amount equalling a grain of rice on CPU
>apply heatsink
>run pi95
>CPU shouldn't go above 40-50 degrees on full load with a good cooler
>>
Should I spread or blob?

I've always used the spread method when I've had to apply paste, with no issues and good temps. But recently, after checking youtube and reading up on it, it seems everyone favours the blob, line or X.
>>
File: Cool Case.jpg (60KB, 440x227px) Image search: [Google]
Cool Case.jpg
60KB, 440x227px
>>56963457
I start in the center and make a really autistic looking spiral, but it squishes out to cover the whole thing like >>56963472 says.
>>
>>56963457
i did a pea then I used a credit card and levelled it off thinly. Its dropped 7 degrees off my idle temp
>>
>>56963561
depends on airflow, cpu and cooler.
>>
>>56963761

Yeah, I just meant as a starting point. Then adjust accordingly, with reference to benchmarks.
>>
>>56963457
Look up the manufacturer's recommended method, or at least a diagram of the chip to know whether you should drop, line, or X. Never pre-spread.
>>
>>56963457
the only real way is the natsoc way, swastika apply it to make your cpu be the master race.
>>
>>56963588
Put a single dot sized amount in the middle. Put the cooler on top. The cooler will spread the paste evenly over the cores. Spreads it by hand is unnecessary and you run the risk of it spread off the CPU onto the motherboard. If you're an idiot and need a video, Tek Syndicate has a video.
>>
Just apply the thermal paste, your little designs don't matter, retards.
>>
>>56963811
I'll try the blob. I'm not complete pleb.
I use Arctic Silver and it's pretty thick, so it doesn't appear as though it will leak down the sides of the CPU. If I was using a thinner, more watery paste, I probably wouldn't have used the spread method.
>>
>>56963457
Everthing other than blob method runs the risk of getting airpockets between cpu and cooler which makes the cooling inefficent. Only exclusion is liquidmetal coolant but that stuff is only for ppl who know what they are doing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk
>>
>>56963986
The horror
>>
File: ponyboobs.jpg (76KB, 716x960px) Image search: [Google]
ponyboobs.jpg
76KB, 716x960px
>>56963457
>delid cpu
>put liquid metal tim on die
>slap 1kg nickel cooler right on it
>>
>want to reapply thermal paste after cleaning pc cuz it's been 8 years
>spend a million years trying to remove shitty intel cooler
>apply paste nicely
>spend two million years trying to reinstall the cooler

why are intel coolers such a fucking trouble?
>>
>>56964058
>no wings

Neato
>>
>>56963986
the gloves make it look professional
>>
So what's the conclusion here?
Blob or spread?
>>
>>56964380
yes.
>>
>>56964469
Which one nigger
>>
>>56964502
spread
>>
I just make sure the entirety of the surface is evenly coated with a very thin layer. If my average temp is above like 31-35 degree's I take off and try again. Make sure your cooler doesn't suck.
>>
>>56963457
I've used Liquid Pro on all recent installs so I spread fully on the die and IHS it with a toothpick.
>>
>>56963457
Paste in the middle and then spread it to make a small square. I don't like the blob method because the paste become circular, and neither the chip underneath nor the IHS is circular.
>>
>>56964531
I recently did spread it even on an old i5 CPU. It's at an idle 33-36. My new build is an i7 6700k, I ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for it. It should be OK I think.
>>
>>56963457
half a pea in the center. Install heatsink from corner to corner or well diagonal top left > bottom right >top right > bottom left.
Had Zero problems with over heating doing it this way
>>
>>56964628
>i7 6700k
great processor

That's a classic cooler, should be fine.
>>
I don't know shit about cpus or thermal paste.

But I do know about this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KtyCxKtEc
>>
>>56964380
See>>56963971
>>
>>56963457
it more or less doesn't really matter, just put enough on there and when you put the heatsink on don't lift it back up or you will create bubbles.
>>
>>56963479
Mr. X, not smoking man. Smoking man only showed up when you do something stupid that he doesn't like like you making a circle with the thermal paste
>>
>>56963799
>Manufacturer's recommended method
Enjoy using a liter of thermal paste.
>>
X or grain method are the best methods.
Only faggots spread and get air bubbles.
>>
I'm getting 30+ on idle with i5 6700k oc to 4.3

~65-70 on load

Using water cooler for $60

Did i do something wrong or I need a better cooler
>>
>>56965354

>i5
>6700k

well.. is it a quatum computer or something?

or shrodingers computer maybe?

is it i5 or 6700k?

maybe you lost hard the silicon lottery. do you have good airflow in your case? what model is your water cooler exactly?(price doesn't give any idea)
>>
>>56965354

oh and the voltage is important too! how did you do your OC? clock speed, multiplyer and voltage numbers?
>>
DO WHAT YOUR MANUAL FUCKING SAYS/CHECK MANUFACTURERS OWN WEBSITE AND VIDEOS SPECIFIC TO YOUR CPU. JESUS.
>>
>>56963457
To start, you should always use as little as possible.

Next, the entire heat spreader does not need to be covered. Every die is a different shape and/or orientation between generations.

For example, Core2 quads need a line going horizontally, with respect to the mounting cutout being top/bottom.
Nehalem/Westmeres need a line that goes vertically.

Heatsink, paste, or even the CPU manufacturers should have documentation for the specific recommended paste application methods.

Dot method sucks and leaves too much paste at tue edges, criss cross sucks and leaves bubbles, spreading is total shit wastes a lot and leaves air bubbles.

You should only ever apply a line that spreads out to cover the die area and die shape, using the minimum possible that your sink mounting pressure will spread properly.
>>
Pea sized dot (or slightly smaller) in the center then when you press your cooler onto your CPU face it spreads the paste out equally
>>
i personally always use siccors to cut open the back of the termal compound tube, that you you can apply all contents way faster then squeezing that silly tube for 3 mins
>>
File: gentoo-penguin.jpg (21KB, 368x400px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-penguin.jpg
21KB, 368x400px
>>56964058
that nips
>>
>>56963457
I use a shaving razor to apply it uniformly.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.