[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are most of WD's color coded HDDs memedrives?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

File: WD-Drive-Colours[1].png (119KB, 630x300px) Image search: [Google]
WD-Drive-Colours[1].png
119KB, 630x300px
Are most of WD's color coded HDDs memedrives?
>>
All WDs are color coded. Are you asking if WD is a meme? Do you even know what you're trying to ask?
>>
>>56961235
>using WD
>proven NSA Backdoor
>year of our lord 2016
Why
>>
>>56961382
I'm asking if there's TRULY a real, palpable difference in, for instance a Red and a Purple drive, and so on.
>>
>>56961483
I'm pretty sure they all have differences in power usage, max rpm and fail rate. Don't quote me on that though
>>
>>56961235
Yes, get Toshiba
>>
>>56961467

Built in NSA Backdoor in a HD Drive? What?
>>
So i should get Seagate for my new NAS?
>>
running WD SE drives in my htpc.
no colour codes here.
feels good man.
>>
>>56961663
WD's network-enabled external drives have NSA backdoors.

WD also gave the master key to self-encrypting hard drives to NSA.
>>
What >>56961502 said. There are indeed differences between them, but the real question should be whether you get WD consumer tier drives or a better brand like HGST? Sure, a WD "Red" might have passed certain QC tests related to (or verifying its suitability for) the expected use characteristics of a NAS unit, when compared to a WD "Green" or "Blue", but I would pick an equivalent HGST NAS drive over the WD drives, of any color.
>>
>>56961534
>getting aboshit
>literally hitachi with no customer support
>year of our lord 2016
Why
>>
File: image.png (122KB, 229x274px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
122KB, 229x274px
Can't you just run your own encryption though? Bypass WD's bullshit encryption defaults & run a 256 RES?

Is there a storage company that legit values customer privacy, that makes External HDDs & SSDs without the U.S. govt having access to all my embarrassing dick pics?
>>
>>56961781
Idk I didn't like WD from the start but when I read about the backdoors I knew I'd never use it. I got 4 Seagate HDDs that all work well. The Toshiba one I owned burned up for no reason on a 850 evga gold power supply and they never responded to me.
>>
>>56961781
>that makes External HDDs & SSDs without the U.S. govt having access to all my embarrassing dick pics
>makes External HDDs
For fuck's sake please don't buy pre-built external drives. Buy a quality internal drive and put it in an enclosure of your own choosing.

Most consumer external drives contain a solid mix of drives which didn't quite pass QC to sell as an internal, but were still "good enough" for a low use external. Except the company's definition of "good enough" might not be your definition, and those drives fail at a much higher rate. They are a production line triage and cash cow with no upside for the you, the customer. You're rolling the dice any time you buy a pre-built external.
>>
>>56961776

Is Seagate also fine for a Home-NAS? And is HGST really that good for company use? Got a job as sysadmin with around 40 coworkers. Kinda slipped into, so i have to learn a lot.
>>
>>56961830
If you're purchasing at a corporate level and your job is to provide reliability and/or servicing of hardware, then a bit more thought goes into it than just consumer NAS usage. I would advise you to get your favorite drink and settle in to read a bunch of articles published by by Backblaze about HDD reliability and monitoring. They don't have that many Toshiba drives to test, but in this year's reliability stats comparing the numbers from their many thousands of Seagate drives and many thousands of HGST drives, well... I've attached pic for comedic effect but you should definitely read the article to understand the details. Seagate does not come out looking good, but one graph alone does not convey everything.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

For home use, frankly most internal drives are going to be equivalent as long as you double-check whatever your manufacturer's settings are for head parking, and set it to something appropriate for your NAS use. If I recall correctly some of the Seagate and WD "NAS" drives or "Green" drives come with a silly-aggressive number like 15 seconds (i.e. if you keep them internal to a live system, they suffer significant wear in a year from OS logging alone). I keep my NAS' drives at 30 minutes, but if you're not hyper worried about your power bill, you can just disable head parking entirely.
>>
The differences are in
- Spin down timers
- RPM
- Data transfer rates
- Variable RPM (green)
The differences are important for the application of the drive.
Blues - General purpose
Black - High performance (but louder)
Green - Cheap mass storage (not OS drive)
Red - NAS, RAID
Purple - Constant write operation.
>>
>>56961997
Didn't expect a one liner with a solution for me. You pointed me in the right direction. At the moment we also have HGST in our Bays. Just want to be prepared if i have to expand the system in the future, or i have to replace some HDDs. Thank you a lot, anon!
>>
>>56961997
Sorry, just to rephrase and be extra clear in what I mean when I say
>They don't have that many Toshiba drives to test
I mean that the numbers of Toshiba drives are so low that I wouldn't use their numbers for Toshiba to make any conclusions. Meaning, not statistically significant, so neither good nor bad, but simply inconclusive for lack of sample data.
>>
>>56961778
Cheaper than Hitachi though.
But I'd get a Hitachi over any other one too if i could afford more.
>>
>>56961801
>Idk I didn't like WD from the start but when I read about the backdoors I knew I'd never use it.
[citation needed]

>>56961997
>but if you're not hyper worried about your power bill, you can just disable head parking entirely.
How so sempai? I'm genuinely interested in knowing such settings
>>56962009
I get it with the blue green and black colors.

So purple are for DVR's or CCTV use right?
I know that reds are for NAS, but fail to see the difference with blue or black for instance
>>
>>56962090
Reds have a much faster spin up time so that file requests can be completed quicker from sleep states.
>>
>>56962090
WD fag detected. Literally search it up. Kaspersky or some other lab discovered it. I'm on mobile so I'm not going to bother but at least
>>56961735 some people know.
>>
>>56962038
I don't know why its cheaper since they're now the same company. But I really don't trust Toshiba drives. I thought they were quality and all but customer support doesn't respond and their website doesn't even load sometimes.
>>
>>56962090
>How so sempai?
I don't know the deep ins-and-outs on Windows I think each vendor tends to ship their own special snowflake configuration utility. Some of them are polished and functional, some of them definitely look like "Babby Electrical Engineer's First GUI Adventure!"

In Linux the tool you are looking for is hdparm, which is my ultimate recommendation.

There's a lot to read, but w.r.t. spindown the flag you're looking for is -S followed by a number. It's a little unusual, because the values are measured in multiples of five seconds until a certain cutoff (something around 200, so like 15 mins?), and then the remaining values up to 255 scale up massively, going by 30 second increments and other special values. Basically like many things sysadmin-y and Linux, do be sure to RTFM.

However, because device manufacturers literally do whatever-the-fuck-they want, you should do a search for "hdparm [model_number]" of your HDDs to sanity check details of your specific drive. There have been examples in the past of (for instance) WD drives using weird special snowflake values like "3" to mean 10 minutes instead of 15 seconds on random models instead of using the default. I've never heard of HGST or Toshiba deviating from the standard, though.
>>
>>56961235
Forgot WD Gold
>>
>>56962268
Model #             Interface           Form Factor     RPM Class  Capacity  Cache     
WD101KRYZ SATA 6 Gb/s 3.5 Inch 7200 10 TB 256 MB

>Shieeeeet
>>
>>56962305
>256MB Cache
Damn, son.
Worth noting though, that WD Gold is actually produced by HGST and are almost literally HGST Ultrastar He10 models being branded as "WD Gold" to improve WD's image. For those who are unaware, HGST is owned by WD now, but maintains separate production facilities.
>>
>>56962130
k, thanks
>>56962198
So asking for a reliable source is shilling now? never change /g/entleman
>>56962248
I see, thanks!

I heard that some NEW PULL discs die early despite having low SMART hours because those were used in array controllers that modify their parameters to "cry wolf" at earlier times because of the lower error tolerance those arrays can allow.

So hdparm maybe is the tool to revert those modified parameters to "common user" settings . Thanks
>>
>>56962379
This. It's why WD's quality has turned to shit. They just sell HGST drives as the reliable ones and throw WD branded QC out the window.
>>
>>56962198
So what's a decent HDD that isn't backdoored or doesn't such a thing exist?
>>
>>56962392
https://community.wd.com/t/nsa-malware-targets-wd-drives/68433
Since you need to be spoonfed both by a stranger on the internet for a link and from WD by giving you simplified colours to justify your purchase when there's little difference, you really are a /g/entooman
>>
>>56962664
>https://community.wd.com/t/nsa-malware-targets-wd-drives/68433
I have read the der spiegel article and it does not suggest a backdoor

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/nsa-secret-toolbox-ant-unit-offers-spy-gadgets-for-every-need-a-941006.html

It is well known that many telecommunication infrastructure (like cellular towers) and IT "items" like routers firewalls and HDD's are accesible to the NSA, what piqued my interest was the use of the word backdoor

So there is a difference between getting owned by the NSA and to actively cooperate with them, but with the state of affairs I would be worried not for WD alone but for the entire industry,

I have yet to watch the applebaum's talk: https media.ccc.de / v / 30C3_-_5713_-_en_-_saal_2_-_201312301130_-_to_protect_and_infect_part_2_-_jacob#video&t=2246

inb4 shill
>>
>>56962444
>It allows them to reprogram the hard drive firmware of over a dozen different hard drive brands, including Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba, Maxtor and IBM
>dozen different hard drive brands
it doesn't
>>
>>56961671
My seagate was slowing down my raid array because it was so slow at spinning up. Take that for what you will.
>>
>>56961235
not really.
>purple
is for survailence only, it has no error checking. If you use it for data storage youre going to have a bad time (and currupt data)
>red
is for nas, designed ot be on 24/7 and has a different firmware for nasy stuff and iirc some setting for noise cancelation.
>black
is supose to be performance, might be a meme
>green
they killed this line and merged it with blue
>blue
pleb tier but just werks drive. Ive been using one for 10 years now, it just werks.. its sata 2 if that tells you anything, no relocated sectors, 3 years 9 months on time.
>>
>>56961671
Not if you want to keep your data.
seagate was good in the 90s, then in the mid 2000s went to shit. I lost my childhood data because of seagate. Around 2010 they made some good drives, have a 2tb that runs good still, but then Ive heard they went to shit again with an astronomical fail rate.
If you do go with them, have it in raid 1.
>>
>>56964409
>I lost my childhood data because of seagate
that sucks.
hitachi and WD kept mine safe until I was old enough to backup <3
>>
>>56964420
ubuntu wiped my backup drive and I was too young to into data recovery and continued to use it.
I actually still have the original drive, Im going to buy a few donor drives and learn to into headswaps.
Im really nervous about when I go to do the real swap though.
>>
>>56964384
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWD0g43ZoEk

Blacks are a meme
>>
>>56961735
People don't seriously use self-encrypting drives though right? No one who is serious about security can be that stupid.
>>
>>56961235

If you aren't buying an HGST you don't care about your data.
>>
>>56961235
>Yellow Re missing
consumer plebs
>>
>>56961776
Hitachi For Raid
>>
>>56964550
Are the Travelstars any good? Or do you only recommend the Ultrastars and the Deskstars?
>>
>>56964533
Thats pretty much what I expected.
My old sata 2 blue only gets about 100-115mbps, but with my os on the drive I only see about 50mbps write.
I know.. its time to upgrade. In the market for an ssd but thats a pain in the ass to find a good price to performance to lifespan ratio
>>
>>56964564
>Deskstars
More like Deathstars
>>
>>56964547
There is a thread up for an anon that encrypted his drives with a tpm and he is trying to reinstall windows and its wanting to wipe the tpm and wont let him continue until he does
>>
>>56964564

I've used all tiers of hitachi drives, and while the travelstars and deskstars have an URE rate that's an order of magnitude higher than the ultrastars, it's generally as good or better than competitors enterprise drives. And longevity of all the grades of HGST units in my experience has been top notch. In the five years that I've been in charge of our datacenter, I haven't had a single ultrastar bite the dust, but I've probably replaced 20 seagates. That's just abysmal.
>>
>>56964615
Thanks. That's an incredibly low failure rate. I might just buy a 3TB deskstar then. I have had 4 Seagate Barracudas die on me in the last 5 years. One of them was 11 years old, though.
>>
>>56964665
>one was 11
oh god, please dont say that.
Thats about where my seagate drive is from that I have maxed off and nothing else to back up on..
>>
>>56964615
Would you recommend that I buy a Toshiba drive that is supposedly a rebranded Hitachi drive?

>>56964703
It died a slow and painful death. It was a real champ, though. Just get a new one, dood.
>>
Why are HGST NAS Drives spinning with 7200rpm? Though all NAS Drives are 5200 or 5400 rpm since it will lower the power consumption and increase the life time?
>>
>>56964533
1TB Blues just happen to work as well as Blacks because of the low platter count. At higher capacities, Blacks destroy Blues.
>>
>>56964574
Except the whole reason their quality is so top-tier now is because they really poured a lot of hard work into fixing their shit after the "Deathstar" debacle.
>>
>>56961235
Blue = Regular desktop use.
Green = Power Efficient.
Black = Performance, speed.
Red = Camera recording, NAS use.
Purple = Camera recording solely.

And yes, there is a difference, buy the one you need.
>>
>>56964878
I don't think lower RPM will give you a longer lifetime. That's just dumb. It lowers noise output, maybe reduces vibration, heat output a bit maybe? But that's it.

If you want better access speed, 7200 is the way to go.

>>56964760
Toshiba? NO.
Hitachi? Yes.
>>
>>56964533
Blue: 2-3 years warranty.
Black: 5 years warranty.

> Just a meme.

And we are on fucking /g/.
I mean if this comment was on Reddit, or 9gag, I could understand. BUT ON FUCKING /g/ WE HAVE SUCH DUMBFUCKS.

WHY.
Get the FUCK OUT.
>>
What with this thread? just get 2 of the cheapest GB/price hard drive and reliablilty isn't a problem, if you're looking for performance go for ssd
>>
>>56965627
What do you expext? /g/ nowadays is 90% people parroting bullshit
>>
>>56966327
>>56965627
Who the fuck gives a shit about warranties?
>>
>>56965627
Warranty is a meme.

At least for me, never used any kind of warranty and i import 90% of my things.
>>
>>56967362
>>56967427
/g/ - /g/ood goys and consumerism
>>
>>56961778
>Needing customer support to help you plug in a SATA drive
>>
>>56967900
Well yesterday someone made a thread asking how to install a RAM stick so..
>>
>>56968028
And I bet it went for 100 posts while a bunch of fucking tools tried to act smart talking to some fucking retard making shit up.
>>
I use WD Purples because I found them for cheap, kek. Aparently they're just Greens tweaked for constant write
>>
>>56967900
I don't think you realise what customer support actually means.
>>
>>56964572
Just buy used and have redundancy (raid) or disk imaging. You shouldent put data on ssds (except shit you use a lot) anyway.
>>
>>56961467
how does the backdoor work?
>>
>>56969473
>Implying that it is real
>>
>>56967427
A longer warranty means they're more confident in the reliability of the product.
>>
>>56961997
I don't know that I'd trust the Backblaze studies, as in 2011 they bought a shit ton of used/RMAd/refurbished drives due to flooding, and even took apart external drives and use their own enclosures that weren't vibration treated...
In other words the results are skewed because the majority amount of drives in production aren't actually new drives, and if the drives aren't in their newer enclosures they are vibrating a hell of lot more than they would be if they were in a proper enclosure...
>>
>falling for the WD shills and the Blackblaze "studies"
You're all a bunch of goys, WDs, Seagates and Samsungs are all literally made in the same factory in Thailand
>>
>>56971842
>tfw your samsung ssd is a trap
>>
>>56971842
And here come the WD shills right on time
>>56969623
>>
>>56964574

I guess you are too young to know that the "deathstar" was actually an IBM product.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.