[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck RAM and Everything About It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: IMAG0013.jpg (508KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0013.jpg
508KB, 1920x1080px
This is 2 sticks of RAM. 1 is the 4 gig piece of shit currently powering my hamsterbox. The other is a same size, same timing, pulled from the fucking "compatible RAM list" on my mobo manufacturer's website replacement stick I'm trying to sub in with 3 of the same to replace the other stick.

How the fuck do you install new RAM? It can't be plug and play. It fucking can't. If it were, I would be done by now. My BIOS is running the current version. Is there some other fucking black magic ritual I have to undertake for my fucking PC to power back up with an IDENTICAL stick of different brand RAM in it? Is there something wrong with my motherboard that it wouldn't accept any other RAM except the shit it came installed with? What the fuck is going on? Why is this so goddamn difficult?
>>
...you've got to be joking
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+the+fuck+do+you+install+new+RAM%3F
>>
>>56954880
Super helpful, thanks for contributing.

>>56954897
>google says it's power down, plug, and play

Then why the fuck won't my BIOS even boot when I plug in the new RAM and power the shit on?
>>
>different brand
>IDENTICAL stick

This does not mean what you think it does
>>
>>56954916
Try booting with only one stick of RAM in it.
If this fails your motherboard may be fucked
>>
>>56954916
>>Then why the fuck won't my BIOS even boot when I plug in the new RAM and power the shit on?

because you haven't seated it correctly
>>
Pro tip:
Always buy the exact same ram
Same manufacturer, same size, same timing, same speed and same everything else
Only exception includes color if you want two different ram colors
>>
>>56954932
I did, started with all 4, moved down to 1 new one in the slot the old RAM usually sits, still nothing. I don't think it's the motherboard since the old RAM goes back in just fine and everything works with it, actually posting with the old RAM now.

Unless it's possible for a "bad motherboard" to only work with 1 specific stick of RAM? I'm a complete novice to expanding my rig here, I don't even know.

>>56954944
Click, click, yes I did. I'm confused, not stupid.

>>56954971
So, compatible RAM lists are just so MOBO companies can laugh as everyone tries to use tons of RAM that won't work with their shit anyway?
>>
guessing you got 2 ram slots

start with your first stick alone, leave the other on your desk or in a box
put into slot 1, nothing in slot 2, boot into windows see if it works
move it to slot 2, nothing in slot 1, boot into windows

then use the other stick alone
put in slot 1, nothing in slot 2, boot into windows
move to slot 2, nothing in slot 1, boot into windows

if all of these tests 4 tests go well then the fault is not in the ram
and for whatever reason your motherboard refuses to take 2 sticks
>>
>>56954993
you cleared cmos, right?
>>
>he didn't just download more RAM instead
>>
>>56955008
I'm not even sure what that means. Like I said, every guide I read off google says "just turn your shit all the way off, unplug it, slap the new shit in there, congrats on winning at computers!!11!!" Is that something that needs to be done before you can put in new RAM?
>>
>>56954864
YOU MOTHERBOARD PROBABLY DOESNT SUPPORT 16GB DIMMS!

AKA RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>56955043
unplug power cord
hold down power button for 5 seconds
find clear cmos jumper and jump it for 15 seconds
replug power cord
turn on
>>
>>56955043
information is stored on the motherboard even when it doesnt have power

it has a tiny battery the same size those you put into cheap watches, it's tiny and round and clips out, remove it for 30 seconds and put it in to completely clear your bios settings, it may solve the problem
>>
>>56955104
I'm looking at a video of clearing a CMOS on youtube. Is that little jumper something you should be able to get at a computer supply store or something? Is that the only tool you can get to accomplish this feat?

>>56955109
This seems like a simpler solution since popping out a battery is stupid easy, but I know little about operating a BIOS, if I clear all the settings, will my rig still boot without a lot of intervention on my part or is this a bad idea for a novice?
>>
>>56955158
>Is that the only tool you can get to accomplish this feat?

usually there are jumpers available on your mobo, otherwise you can just use a screwdriver or other piece of metal
>>
>>56954864
>decide to look up /g/
>first thread
>how do i install RAM
sasuga /g/
>>
>>56955158
Just touch and hold the jumper pins with any metal object. No this isn't "how /g/ ruins your PC" before you ask. It's just using the tiny watch cmos battery to restore the bios to new the forced way

If it doesn't work then, probably a dead ram slot. Try the first stick in that slot alone and see if it works
>>
>>56955191
>implying that installing RAM is like legos for adults
>>
>>56955214
Appreciate you and all the good anons posting actual advice. I'm gonna try a CMOS reset and see how that goes.
>>
>>56955214
My best on dead ram slot and op can't troubleshoot for shit
>>
File: 1337828636327.jpg (29KB, 396x500px) Image search: [Google]
1337828636327.jpg
29KB, 396x500px
>>56954864

>look at corsair stick
>4x4gb

that isnt a 16gb "stick", its a 4gb "stick" and it should have 3 brothers.

dont buy shit like this from garage sales you worthless cunt.
>>
>>56955047
this. your mobo doesn't support 16GB sticks m8.
>>
>>56954864
sound like you have a nvidia card with amd drivers
>>
>>56955286
>>56955264
>>56955047

kill yourselves
>>
>>56955310
k ima kms
>>
>>56955258
I didn't say it was, there are 3 more, reason comprehension is hard?

So the CMOS got the bios to boot, but it said bad checksum and defaulted to last good settings accomplishing nothing it seems. Gonna try again, not sure I can use the keyboard to stop the BIOS reversion timer.
>>
>>56955248
>op can't troubleshoot for shit
Hey man, just because I'm a retarded crossdressing trap on HRT, that bought a prebuilt computer, doesn't mean I should be scrutinized.
Brony power.
>>
And I can, loading OS, fucking beautiful. Windows wants to run startup repair, probably should let it, yeah?
>>
>>56955417
make sure your sata controller in the bios is set to ahci/raid and not ide
>>
>>56955417
Just delete system 32
You're a fucking idiot
Kids in middle school build gaming computers
>>
>>56954864
i dont know OP , i simply have put the corsair ram in the same color slot as my kingston ram , and it worked. Also i had 4 totally different sticks on my ddr2 machine and they all worked. maybe your mobo or one of the sticks is faulty.
>>
File: cmos-battery.jpg (34KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
cmos-battery.jpg
34KB, 600x399px
I dont know if someone told you before, but sometimes while changing RAM for whatever reason your bios goes full retard, take off the CMOS battery for 30 seconds then plug it again with the 2 ram sticks on it. pic related
>>
File: thankeesai.jpg (93KB, 679x550px) Image search: [Google]
thankeesai.jpg
93KB, 679x550px
>>56955716
Yeah, that was one of the first big recommendations. Worked like a charm (along with deleting system32 of course ;^) ), pic related.

Another big thanks to everyone who chimed in with something constructive, appreciate you folks.
>>
>>56955818
That's not running at the right frequency. Enable XMP in bios or whatever the AMD equivalent is.
>>
>>56955818
Why the hell did you get 4x4 if you only have a dual channel motherboard? 2x8 is actually cheaper. I guess if your motherboard doesn`t support 8gb dimms,
>>
OP probably didn't properly seat the RAM
>>
>>56955929
Correct, it supported only single channel 8's I believe.
>>
Here's your (You)
>>
>>56954944
I've had this problem. Check this OP.
>>
File: 1443248316584.jpg (66KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1443248316584.jpg
66KB, 600x450px
>>56955351

ok, this is now confirmed bait thread.

>i have 4 sticks of ram
>dont want to use them as it says to
>ill just throw in this bargain basment stick just cause

or thats not your pic, which would make you een more fucking retarded
>>
>>56956284
How is this difficult? I have 4 sticks that are now humming along nicely in my computer that I just installed fresh. There is one of them side by side with the "bargain basement" stick that has been solely powering my rig up until this point.

Do you people just not read threads before you come in screaming and memeing?
>>
>>56954971
>Always buy the exact same ram
/thread
>>
>>56956336

ok fine, did you up the dram voltage?

corsairs are notorious for requiring additional voltage

eg. i have corasair dominator 1866mhz (been a few years) i CAN NOT get 1866mhz @ default voltage, i have to up it to 1.65v
>>
File: 1451703844720.jpg (53KB, 444x337px) Image search: [Google]
1451703844720.jpg
53KB, 444x337px
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.