[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on "mob programming?"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 8

File: mob-programming-768x512.jpg (85KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
mob-programming-768x512.jpg
85KB, 768x512px
Thoughts on "mob programming?"
>>
>>56953745
Any time we programmed in a group in university it just ended up with us cracking shitty jokes for hours and getting nothing done
>>
>>56953760
/thread
>>
Seems like a lot of pressure and bad for anxious persons like me. Also, bunch of people trying to get THEIR ways through never goes well.
>>
Maybe I'm just autistic but I am way more productive when no one is bothering me
>>
Way better if the problem is addressed individually and then "mobbed".
Otherwise dumb shit and excuses
>>
>>56953745
One of the most inconvenient ways to get code done, it just ends with people throwing ideas or 'why do you do it like that' for 2 hours for something that could've been done in 10 minutes alone.
>>
There's two ways this usually works out

1. The person behind the keyboard is the most knowledgeable in the group and could solve the problem completely on his own. He now has a mob behind him giving him incorrect suggestions and telling him not to forget the semicolon. He'll try to appease the group by trying the ideas out and acting surprised when they fail. He then writes the program as he intended.

2. Nobody knows what to do, nothing gets accomplished. The most autistic person in the group will mull over it for hours on his own until he has it figured out. This is now scenario 1
>>
Can't stand other human's smell.
>>
Bad for 99.9% of tasks, might work if you're working on some high-level design and want input but a whiteboard would be better for that.
>>
>>56953745
This is the shit you get when normies overtake a field. pls don't let this be the future.
>>
>>56953745
It's why you need an idea guy.
>>
>>56953745
Just a huge waste of time. See: >>56955161

Much better to just have one person program it and have other audit it later and make changes as necessary.
>>
>>56953745
no reason to program anything at the moment.
>>
It lets women be programmers without having to do any programming.
>>
>>56953745
look at all those WHITE MALES

that code is going to need to be run with elevated privileges, for sure
>>
Terrible.

The only good compromise is minute meetings to discuss ideas every so often.
Small meetings every hour, 2 hours, just a break to get away from it, clear your head, discuss any ideas.

Doing a self-review of what you are doing can massively help yourself and your team.
Logging (not extreme logging) in simple pseudocode-like comments can massively improve cooperation.
Besides, top-bottom pseudo is a great way of organising your code and what to do without having to constantly think about it at each stage of development, and you also don't lose your place when you go home and come back to it the week after.

Constant interruptions by people talking over each other and talking about last nights Game of Thrones while stuffing their face with dewritoes just doesn't work well.
The faux geek method is just inferior.
Brogramming needs to die too.
>>
Multiple people but 1 keyboard? How is anything going to get done?
>>
>>56953745
Too many hands ruin the pie.
>>
That picture looks like the 9th circle of hell in any white collar job.
>>
>>56955325
kekd slightly
>>
I don't think you're supposed to scale pair programming beyond n=2.
>>
>>56953745
I am inmy first year of studying Business I.T. and logically we had to do this a lot. It is honestly nice and succesfull if all the people involved are autists. We learned some Modeling languages and could plan most of our projects as a group.
But just sitting in front of code and letting someone solve your problem since kind of stupid. Use a shared virtual workspace for that.
>>
>>56953745
If you get stuff done, then sure. Otherwise it's usually a waste of time.
>>
Pair programming is my limit. There should be a junior programmer who's doing the typing and a more senior programmer who points out issues in the code.
>>
>>56955325
>>
Even at its very best I can't see it being more efficient manhour-wise than a group of single programmers.
>>
>>56953745
Sounds like an interesting team building thing but would be a waste of resources in a production setting.
Working on industrial machines, I can feel the stupid leaking off the supervisors when they show up with suggestions.
>>
>>56955390
>most of programming is about typing speed.
>>
File: lolkl.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
lolkl.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
my last job all the fucking time because of my magical hidden chair filled corner desk

>ba
>project manager
>team lead
>annoying code monkey
>guy from downstairs who came to say hi to ba but stuck around

all crowded behind me talking about the project and asking me to show parts of it

>"yeah anon is hard at work. look how far ahead she is. blah blah blah blah buzzwords blah blah lets get lunch later blah blah look at the retarded code monkey give bad input blah
>>
>>56953760
>>56955161
>>56955119
>>56955179
>>56955213
>>56955266
These
>>
>>56953745
programming with my two friends right now.

It's great actually. Multiple minds on the same problems and we can work on our own and tackle much more while being able to ask each other for assistance.

Learning and solving problems in a group is great when you actually enjoy the people in said group.
>>
This isn't actually a real thing is it?

If anything it's just an idea that 'thought leaders' came up with to sound cool to each other right? RIGHT GUYS? GUYS PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T ACTUALLY A THING THAT IS DONE?
>>
>>56958245
I want to reassure you anon, but I really have no idea.
>>
>>56953745
It works if you specify what parameters each part should have.
Create a puzzle layout, make sure everyone knows the big picture, have people design puzzle pieces that fit nicely with those adjacent to it, piece the puzzle together as people finish their assignment.

It's really not that had to work cooperatively with people. The problem is everyone on /g/ is a basement neckbeard that doesn't know how to communicate with people other than their mother.
>>
>>56955119
>interviewing for my first real job
>interviewer asks "do you work better alone or in groups?"
>start sweating a little
>pull some roundabout bullshit answer out of nowhere
>"I feel that I can be more productive working alone, but I don't have a problem working in groups"
>interviewer: "oh good, because most of the time you'll be working alone here."
>get a nice comfy cubicle where nobody bothers me all day

Everything went better than expected.
>>
Shit like that is the reason I never leave the house. That and the crippling social anxiety.
>>
>>56953745
Hells no.

You can either focus on the program you're writing, or socialize.
>>
File: 1445920104932.png (365KB, 960x800px)
1445920104932.png
365KB, 960x800px
Rather shoot nails into my body than have to work like that.
>>
>>56957700
>she
>>
Pair Programming With Good Synergy > Solo Programming In Flow State > Solo Programming > Bad Pair Programming > Mobshit
>>
>>56959053
Probably this but I've never tried mob programming.

Another good one is two groups of pair programmers working on the same problem and periodically discussing progress.
>>
>>56953745
It fails when only one is capable of programming and the others just act as fancy syntax checkers.
>>
>>56953745
idiocy
>>
>>56953745
laughed irl
>>
>>56953745
"flash-mobs" in general are childish.

End of story
>>
File: oa.jpg (74KB, 800x600px)
oa.jpg
74KB, 800x600px
>>56953745

"agile"

just looking at this photograph (has been around for years, to illustrate, "agile")

makes me angry

I would not participate in such an approach
>>
>>56958498
Lucky. Even at school I hated working in groups because I'm an autistic control freak.
>>
>>56961930
look @ him there with his store bought $8 coffee

I hate him
>>
>>56961930
what's all that shit on the white board

they don't have a clue
>>
>>56958498
working in an office is not good for programming
>>
>>56957700
>she
tits or gtfo
>>
>>56953745
> mob programming

> you are at home, coding during the night
> suddenly your door ring bells
> it's the fucking programming mob
> they found out you used for loops instead of foreach
>>
>>56965120
kekd hard
>>
>>56965120
Holy fuck my sides
>>
File: HackersOnSteroids.webm (639KB, 960x552px) Image search: [Google]
HackersOnSteroids.webm
639KB, 960x552px
>>56953745
>Thoughts on "mob programming?"
>>
>>56965551
>>56953745
>Thoughts on "mob programming?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msX4oAXpvUE
>>
>>56958498
>TFW legit autismo
>Don't know when it's my turn to talk autismo
>Say things that are completely unrelated to the conversation level autismo
>Girlfriend suspects that I have assburgers
>End up getting a job in engineering
>Can't multitask
>I have literally 9 projects to manage
>Just end up ignoring stuff hoping it goes away
>It never does
>Thought id be doing analysis and calculations
>50% of my life is spent on the phone talking to architects
>Interrupt them constantly and feel guilty about it.
>Everyone thinks I'm god tier clever and 'observant' becasue I harness autismo that I've never told anyone about
>I hate everyone
>Tell someone this by accident
>But anon, why does everyone like you then?
>Fug
>Life is suffering

I want to die.
>>
>>56965120

I'm dying over here..

>>56966313

You are my hero, anon.
Don't be sad.
>>
>>56966593
The best way is to learn to live with the sadness
>>
File: 1460947043295.png (245KB, 595x842px)
1460947043295.png
245KB, 595x842px
>>56953760
What kind of jokes? Programming jokes?
>>
>>56961930
>agile
Hey dude lets not care about docs and just change everything on the fly. Oh yeah, enjoy all your daily meetings that get derailed and run way over time.
>>
>>56966313
It's a weird feeling when you're shit at something and you know it, but everyone else thinks you're the best at it.

You might want to get started on those projects, though.
>>
>>56959053
Solo in a flow state is the best, but this is pretty accurate. Fuck one keyboard and two people though. More people each with their own workstation in close proximity committing to source control often and able to talk about it while not leaving their seat is pretty good too.
>>
>>56953745
Design in 4 over a whiteboard for general idea of the whole system and then split in two pairs for the coding part with me on the keyboard for my team.

This was the most pleasurable way form me.. of course not considering coding alone with coke || ritalin || mdma
>>
>>56958295
...what you described is how it's usually done.. OP was talking about N people around one computer.

Are you very young or just never had a group project?
>>
>>56969478
>MDMA
What a waste of good drugs. Maybe scribbling some ideas, but actually programming?
>>
>>56959053
Chemical Induced Flow Solo Programming > Pair Programming With Good Synergy > Solo Programming In Flow State > Solo Programming > Bad Pair Programming > Mobshit

Now it's perfect
>>
>>56961931
This, but I was in a shitty high school so I just used to tell my group to sit back while I'd do everything, and delegate the little details, and everybody was happy.
>>
>>56953745
You get dragged down by the weakest link in your group and end up putting in more time that needed to recover.

>source: had to learn Agile methodologies and work with an end-year faggot that somehow doesn't know what a for loop is

Luckily, out of 5, he was the only goober.
>>
>>56969608
>>source: had to learn Agile methodologies and work with an end-year faggot that somehow doesn't know what a for loop is

what
>>
>>56969371
Yeah.
Went to the pub with a few colleagues.

Had a whiskey for my nerves. Now I'm Working on my list as we speak.

9pm on my own in my flat is where I do my best shit anyway
>>
>>56969621
What confused you?
>>
>>56969598
Yeah I love modafinil and caffeine too.
>>
>>56969666
He probably doesn't know what you mean by "Agile methodologies"
>>
>>56969666
Nothing, I'm just trying to wrap my head around how that guy got so far. Was he just carried by the rest of the class?
>>
>>56969371
I think it's called Impostor Syndrome and it's pretty common for computer people
>>
>>56953760
Everytime me and my bros try to do some coding together, we just end up banging to be honest.
>>
>>56969574
mdma is cheap.

If you take small doses it's all right, but you are quite right. On normal to large doses my pupils start swinging left-right when I try to focus my sight on the code.
>>
>>56953745
>"shut the fuck up and let me type"
>>
>>56969756
>tfw no bros to code with and bang
>>
>>56969743
From the wikipedia of that page:
>Avoiding display of confidence: Another way that a person can perpetuate their impostor feelings is to avoid showing any confidence in their abilities. A person dealing with impostor feelings may believe that if they actually believe in their intelligence and abilities they may be rejected by others. Therefore, they may convince themselves that they are not intelligent or do not deserve success to avoid this.

Yeah that basically sums it up for me.
>>
>>56969699
Sheeeeeeeeeit you and me both. When I asked him to write a loop to iterate through some user tables he gave me this half-constipated, half-"I copied code from people dude help" look.

So yes, he more than likely had others stand behind him and talk the code out for him. I say this because my teachers were insanely good at finding cheats and I can't see him tricking them with plagiarized code.
>>
Pair programming with someone you get along with is pretty comfy. Never tried mob programming but I imagine it isn't very productive.
>>
>>56969756
#!
>>
>>56953745
looks like 5 people with jobs and only one actually doing his job
>>
>>56953745
>1 programmer and 4 idea guys
>>
>>56953745
looks like a waste of fucking time
how many codemonkeys do you actually need banging on the same pot or pan
if you need help with a particular section of logic or whatever autistic library you're using, you just ask whoever knows the most about this shit and then go on your way
>>
>>56958162
>programming with my two friends right now
>posting on 4chan

you're the friend that nobody likes
>>
>>56970166
clean
>>
File: monkeys-typewriter-o[1].gif (297KB, 270x180px) Image search: [Google]
monkeys-typewriter-o[1].gif
297KB, 270x180px
>>56970347
can't have enough monkeys
>>
Management doesn't know what git is for.
>>
>>56969821
...fuck
>>
>>56966313
Just divide up your day into blocks for each project. Maybe only work on 3 projects one day then the other 3 the next. That way you aren't multitasking but working on one at a time.
>>
>>56969821
Isn't that the same thing as being lazy?
>>
>>56970881
In what way?
>>
>>56953745
equivalent of hyper carry for programming
>>
>>56955325
You made my day sir
>>
>>56953745
That seems fun.

It would be more comfy in a large room with some projectors and some kind of etherpad situation rather than literal shoulder surfing
>>
>>56970881
No.

Just because you are too stupid to recognize my brilliance and hard work doesn't mean that I am not brilliant and didn't work hard.
>>
>>56970852
I do.
The nature of my work is erratic.

So, let's take tuesday.

We get a call in from a contractor that the site manager has resigned on one of my projects. Turns out the retard resigned becasue he set out a secant piled wall in the wrong location.

A wall of 35 piles - each 600mm in diameter - forming one side of a two storey basement intersects the grid line it's supposed to be on - diagonally cutting across it.

Some of the wall cuts so close to the boundary wall, we have no idea if they're actually crossing the boundary line 10 metres down, others are within the footprint of the basement.

Shit like this happens all the time. There is literally no way to stick to a schedule.

>Meanwhile I have architects calling me up asking why I'm using 50mm wide timbers instead of 49mm wide timbers like they asked.

Like. I feel like everyone is retarded.
>>
>>56971280
It's possible that you have the opposite of Impostor Syndrome.

Which I guess would either be Dunning-Kruger effect, or maybe just plain narcissism.
>>
>>56953745
gay af to be honest famicom
>>
Sounds like a meme to me...

At most one person would be helpful, and only if they knew exactly what technologies I was using and had stronger architectural skills than me. If he was just as skilled as me, then what's the point? Might as well split the tasks required to get the job done and just commit to the same repository...
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.