[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cumulative updates coming to windows 7 and 8.1!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: cancer.png (168KB, 705x500px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.png
168KB, 705x500px
These announced rollup updates for windows 7 and 8.1 worry me.

As far as I've read the first cumulative updates will not remove the current pick-and-choose system for already existing patches, but in time they will disable it and you'll only have the option of cumulative updates (and if you install any cumulative patch the telemetry gets installed aswell).

How should I go about creating a comfy option to get 8.1 with security updates on new computers with no telemetry?

>Clean install 8.1, get all the essential KBs, disable updates, and then image that disk? (Never used imaging before so would that even work for any future hardware build?)

>Use http://www.wsusoffline.net/ to create a custom offline patch?

>Just keep installing cumulative updates and then clobbering any telemetry executables/libraries/services? I don't know if this is feasible at all.

Are there any other options?

>inb4 just use Windows 10/telemetry is your friend/gentoo etc.
>>
At all the lengths winfags will defend using an OS with no updates, my question is why? If you have to do all the special crap just to be self to run .exe's at a subpar level, is t that the same as doing it with wine?
>>
>>56947745
You see, some people actually develop software.
Those people often want to make sure that software will work on all target platforms.
This means they need to test on those platforms.
Wine is not one of those platforms.

I am aware MS offers images of older OSes free of charge for testing purposes but that does not fit my needs.

The neets are always the loudest aren't they...
>>
>>56947595
Just a Linux neet reporting: wusus should do it. But if you only have a professional use for windows, it will suffice to disable the telemetry in the vanilla settings.
Your post reeks of bait, but will bite.
>>
>>56947595
They did not just do this to force shit telemetry updates they did it because the update system in place since vista is completely broken.

For example, take a fresh RTM XP install and install all updates to EOL. You will find that although it will take a long ass time it will work in a consistent way.

Now do the same thing for windows 7. You will find the update process will stall for FUCKING HOURS no matter what hardware you have be it a shitbox p4 or i7 haslel and even when it does start downloading and installing updates it will revert and reinstall them on reboot 100% of the time and keep doing this loop until it eventually works. This is because whatever clusterfuck the Vista+ Windows Update system is cant scale at all to the huge number of individual updates.

This is why Windows 10 has cumulative updates and does a "complete OS upgrade" style install to update the builds rather than service pack style upgrades. They are pushing it to 8 and 7 because updating from clean install is hell now and will only get worse.

At most this is a shitty workaround and I am fully convinced the monkeys at MS don't even know how to fix it.
>>
>updating w7
It's only bloat and botnet.

Make 2 vms, one fresh out the box with drivers and the other with drivers but fully updated, the second one will run slow as shit in comparison.
>>
>>56947914
It's a semi-professional use, I'd still like to have it on the network and not worry if I happen to get some private info on it.
I guess I'll look more into wusus, just did a fast skim-read.

It really isn't bait, I'm just facing the reality of my situation and trying to come up with a solution before it's all locked away.

>>56948835
I am aware of their reasons, and I would probably do the same in their place.
I'd say it would be fantastic if they put all the security patches in separate cumulative channel and the bullshit telemetry/"features"/ etc. in another one.
But they really really like our memes and would like to save them, and just keep them forever because reasons. So they'll just bundle it all up and jam it down our throats.
Honestly I hope the EU does something about this dragnet data collection because 'murrica sure as shit isn't gonna do anything.

>>56949204
Well, using the release-state 7 and 8.1 in an internet-connected environment is probably asking for it. I'd like to at least have a way to install the bulk of security updates while offline.
>>
>>56949232
Just use a firewall that whitelists the programs you use and blocks everything else.
>>
>>56949286
Any good software to figure that out per-app?
>>
>>56949682
TinyWall
>>
>>56949943
I see you can look at currently used IPs like this https://tinywall.pados.hu/images/screenshots/tinywall_connections.png but wouldn't it be impossible to freely surf the web if I operated on a whitelist instead of a blacklist?

And for the actual blocking I should probably get the router to block IPs since MS will probably hard code the telemetry IPs in updates for 7/8.1 like they are for 10.
>>
>>56947595
If your wanting 8.1 then you might as well go to 10. 8.1 fucking sucks stay on 7 if possible
>>
>>56947595
>running anything but w7 sp1 x64 with updates disabled
>>
>>56950081
>>>56949943 (You)
>wouldn't it be impossible to freely surf the web if I operated on a whitelist instead of a blacklist?
Why? Whitelist the browser and that's it.
>since MS will probably hard code the telemetry IPs in updates for 7/8.1
That's why you aren't supposed to touch Windows update ever again.
>>
>>56950096
Gotta have at least one 8.1 on metal machine unfortunately

>>56950138
>Not running XP speed edition SP5

>>56950320
Oh I see what you meant, using software firewall and whitelisting the processes, not IPs. I was stuck on the idea of using a hardware firewall so OS couldn't bypass it.
The problem is I'll probably have to install it on a new machine in a year or two, and I don't think I can have it run with absolutely no updates even with this method and be safe from attacks. I'd at least like a way to patch some of the security holes, which I guess wsusoffline should be able to provide.
Just wanted to see if anyone here is faced with the same problem and already came up with a smart solution.
Anyone knows if making an image of a clean patched install would work on a completely different config?
>>
>>56947595
This old thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOSY4mcUMa8
>>
File: Windows_7_colored_logo.png (488KB, 900x860px) Image search: [Google]
Windows_7_colored_logo.png
488KB, 900x860px
>>56947595

> Simplix UpdatePack7R2 (curated update pack for 7sp1, does not include any telemetry updates or w10 related ones)
http://forum.oszone.net/thread-257198.html

> WSUS Offline Update (manual download and install whatever/whenever you want, supports Vista+ and Office2010+)
http://www.wsusoffline.net/

Choice is yours.
>>
>>56947826
>not testing on wine
actually,
>not exclusively making software for OS X
it's easier to develop (cocoa isn't shit) and people there pay more anyway
>>
File: pic related.png (29KB, 715x519px) Image search: [Google]
pic related.png
29KB, 715x519px
>>56952908
Kinda

>>56953131
I'm a bit apprehensive about that russian page, but I've just done a test run of wsus for 8.1.
Clicked on "Start" in pic related after ticking these checkboxes on my current 8.1 install, and it finished successfully, filled a folder with files and created both an "wsusoffline-w63-x64.iso" which is almost 3GiB and a hashes file in ...\iso\.
This should be for 8.1 x64 version with all C++, .NET and service packs (even though there are none for 8.1) together with security updates and some recommended ones? The instructions are not super beginner friendly.
I'm not sure if they removed the botnet KBs from the lists, I guess I'll have to find a list of shady/broken KBs and cross-reference...

>>56953191
I'll try migrating eventually, but until I get my macOS legs I'll have to stay on windows.
>>
>>56947595
Our good friends from MDL will help us.
>>
The solution to this problem is simple.
By a machine. Use this machine when you do not care about your privacy.

Get another machine. Use it when you care about your privacy.

Really how hard is this to understand?
>>
>>56953698
What is this MDL you speak of?

>>56953772
Look, kid, I know you're really smart and all, but you should just fuck off.
>>
>>56949204
>the second one will run slow as shit in comparison.
This. Strangely enough, my updated clone uses every bit of the allocated ram (8 gigs), while the untainted version does not. I'm not sure if this is a Virtualbox thing or a bug in Windows though.
>>
>>56953535
>I'm not sure if they removed the botnet KBs from the lists, I guess I'll have to find a list of shady/broken KBs and cross-reference...
Idk, I guess it downloads all the updates. I got mine for 7, but didn't use them, I used Simplix pack. I understand Russian language from that + my experience, everything went well.
>>
>>56953862
Mydigitallife my dear newfag.

The ones that created Daz Loader, MSToolkit, KMSPico/AutoKMS, the base of W10 botnet blockers all programs use, W10 update blockers and removers and the info about all updates and more.
And more but those are all i remember.
>>
>>56954035
Cool thanks for chiming in.

>>56954063
Haven't been called a newfriend in a long time :^) Ahh to be a new fag again...
It's just that I've been using legit windows for over a decade now so never used any of that, but I've heard of it. Thanks for the answer, I'll definitely check their forums out.
>>
>>56953131
How up-to-date is the Simplix pack? I can't read russian. I haven't updated since july of last year and I've been getting a bit scared, thinking of updating before MS really shits everything up for good.
>>
Someone will probably just develop a script or block to prevent the files from ever being written, similar to one of the things some Spybot anti-malware does.

Writing "telemetry" files with one admin account, system set, then forcing Windows Update through a lesser account, boom, get fucked teleshit.

Of course, when Microsoft find out, like any malware writer they will write a new update for it that will write the files using basic random naming schemes so you can't block it based on the filename approach.
Now you will need to do some hash checks.
Then they will write random junk in the file that isn't important.
Now you are going to need some binary matching.
Welp, now they have made a full advanced morphing malware, just to spy on your location.
>>
>>56955485
I want Bill to come back :'(
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.