[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Razer Core alternatives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: SKU149984-56.jpg (33KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
SKU149984-56.jpg
33KB, 600x600px
So, when are we going to get cheapy chinky Thunderbolt 3 eGPU docks?

You can already get cheap mPCIe/expresscard stuff from Banggood:
http://www.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1011222.html
>>
>>56947371
>You can already get cheap mPCIe/expresscard stuff from Banggood:
That work like shit and are full of bugs. With the combination of software/bios/hardware compatibility plus the low quality docks full of electrical signaling issues they're a nightmare to troubleshoot and get working properly, i'd rather wait for a reputable brand to come up with proper tb3 docks.
>>
https://www.google.fr/search?q=akitio+thunder+2+inferno&oq=akitio+thunder+2+inferno&aqs=chrome..69i57.4399j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
>>
>>56947394
Mine has been working fine for months.
>>
>>56947394
I bouth one last year to try out a low end graphics card in my laptop. Still works and haven't had a single problem.
>>
>>56947394
I see you've never used one
>>
http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V4.1.html
I'd go with the bplus PE4C V4.1 over that cheap Chinese one. They're engineered by a Japanese company that specializes in bus adapters.
The 4.1 is PCIe x4 which gives you the same performance as Thunderbolt docks.
>>
If I get this do I need to bring my own monitor too? I have an 770m.
>>
>>56947583
Yes, unless you hack your laptop to accept an input signal on one of its outputs that routes to the screen with a switch.
>>
>>56947593
Actually with nvidia you don't need to
>>
>>56947577

Ah nice. That looks pretty good even if it's a little bit more expensive.

I'm still waiting for a TB3 adapter of some sort because I don't want to sacrifice my Wifi adapter to get these solutions to work.

Is the intel licensing fee on thunderbolt the reason nobody has made a cheap bare-bones solution yet?
>>
>>56947616
Most likely, and the fact that thunderbolt is really expensive to produce.
>>
>>56947394

But when are we going to get other companies releasing products? the Razer core has been out for several months and nothing has appeared from anybody else.

We need competition. $500 is too much.
>>
>>56947371
I use a rackmount pc and I am fucking dying waiting for a competitor to come out with something cheaper - especially if they can give numbers on how long the cable can be for signal degradation is a big deal.

Something with a gigabit lan port and usb hub means I can run a pc with only one cable coming from my rack to my desk. A wet dream at this point tho
>>
>>56947371
I just can't see the point in these things when the majority of people who would have the know-how to use this would likely already have a desktop rig anyway. What's the point?
>>
>>56948387
It's fun to play with. Thinking about doing a similar project, except to connect old PCI cards externally to a system that only has PCIe slots. To see how well old chips and cards like the Vortex 2 and Voodoo3 would work on a current system.

It is a toy, it is for fun. And it is convenient when you want to try something.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.