[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seriously explain to me the ThinkPad meme. Are they actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
Seriously explain to me the ThinkPad meme.

Are they actually good or is it just another "hurr dhurr install gentoo"
>>
>>56945779

This gets explained about twice every day.

lurk moar
>>
>>56945779
From someone who still hasn't fully bought into the meme....

> Extremely durable laptops with near-desktop levels of customization and servicability
> Easily the best value you can get. A $150-200 refurbished T420 will get you a capable i5 processor, 4-6GB of RAM, and a large HDD.
> Product line is diverse enough to suit autists, casuals and retards
>>
>>56945779
One of the best purchases I've made in years.
>>
you got 3 people who buy them

>people who need decent specs for little money
>collectors of old thinkpads for /retro/'s sake
>autists who buy a load of t60/61's and create a frankenpad that runs arch

Thinkpads are good buys because of how they come into the market. A company buys like 20 of them new, uses them for a few years, removes the HDD or just wipes/resets them and sells them cheap to a reseller who sells them on ebay for next to nothing.
They sell for next to nothing because there are just so many of them being sold. A decent i5, 4/8gb of ram and a 500-1tb HDD shouldnt be 200$ when we're talking about a laptop that was once 2000$ and is only a few years old

but thats just how market inflation works
so you get great specs for low cost, its the optimal laptop choice for general use

i collect old shit, i dont own a thinkpad made by lenovo and i own 6 of them
>>
>>56945779
Gentoo is good you shitposter
>>
>>56945779
I own a refurbished X220
>amazing battery life
>great hardware for low cost
>great mobility
>amazing keyboard
>durable
>actually very usefull trackpoint

Only downside would be that it doesn't come with a dedicated GPU, but the integrated one is powerfull enough to handle all normal tasks, especially when using Dual Channel RAM.
>>
>>56945779
they're pretty good for being cheap I use to have one and I loved it but the screen died after two years so I threw it away I miss it, it was better than my current cheap hp laptop
>>
Theyre good if youre on a tight budget and need more performance than portability. If all you do is take notes at uni and browse Facebook you're better off just getting a used ultrabook of some sort
>>
I tried to get a T430, but the right side USB port was DOA. It was the first DOA component I've had in 20 years
>>
>>56945779
They look like shit and their displays are trash. You can pick up a packaged Pixel 2013 for under $400. Don't be a fuckhead; do the right thing.
>>
File: 33546.jpg (783KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
33546.jpg
783KB, 2272x1704px
>>56945779
>Stallman. The movie.
>>
>>56945779
All laptops are shitty.

If it comes out of China then buyer beware.
>>
File: atSD7qQ.jpg (835KB, 3450x2296px) Image search: [Google]
atSD7qQ.jpg
835KB, 3450x2296px
>>56945779
>>
easiest and most affordable way to get a malware-infected BIOS. What's not to love?
>>
They are good, cheap laptops. Using my X220T has made me fall in love with a computer all over again. The keyboard feels fucking awesome to type on; I legitimately enjoy typing on it while all the other fags at my school struggle to type because of their weird ass keyboard spacing or mushy keys.

The displays aren't great, but I have an x220T with IPS; it's sufficient. The resolution is disappointing, but at 12.5 inches I'm really not upset. I wouldn't mind something like 1600 x 900 at the least for this size, but not much you can do about it. The newer X series computers are pretty damn nice if resolution is that important to you.

Battery life is fine for what, like 200-300 bucks?

Easy to upgrade, two drive slots (one for ssd, one for HDD/SSD).

Cheap as hell if you are patient; I picked this one up for 185 because it had some sticky shit on the lid. I cleaned it all off with some goo b gone, upgrade the ram to 8 gb, and popped in a 128 GB SSD in addition to the 300 main drive.

>I used one and they were shit xDDD
They are literally 300 fucking dollar laptops. Don't come in expecting top tier performance and 2016 battery lives. For me, I don't mind bring my cord to class since I have a chink cell, but most people get an hour per cell of internet browsing I believe.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.