[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long until my computer runs on antimatter, /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: df1.gif (15KB, 523x379px) Image search: [Google]
df1.gif
15KB, 523x379px
How long until my computer runs on antimatter, /g/?
>>
You would never even be able to afford one /b/ro
>>
Highly unlikely if it will ever. If anything it would be destroyed in an instant.
>>
File: negroid.jpg (25KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
negroid.jpg
25KB, 500x500px
what is dis equation
>>
We haven't even had the degree of technology development in human history to make the most naive prediction. More than one hundred years probably.

First, we'd have to figure out an efficient way to make anti-matter in something like bulk. Right now, we can make nano-grams and the energy cost is something like a full fifty times what the annihilation would release (much less what you'd be able to capture from an annihilation).

Take note, anybody that's curious anti-matter will always take more energy to create than it would release; it's good for fuel, not for actual power generation. And so far we're not likely to find some kind of anti-matter mine hidden in a nebula.

We'd have to make isotopes amenable to whatever manipulation would be necessary and possible. Probably magnetic, but who knows, maybe the best way would be some kind of anti-plasma manipulated electromagnetically.
For large quantities, like what we'd use to fuel interstellar ships, anti-hydrogen is perfect, we'd be able to compress it until it became magnetic and store it that way. But maintaining metallic hydrogen at a small scale... I feel like it'd be more difficult than just making a heavier element, but we don't know how we'd make anti-matter
I haven't looked into it specifically, but I seem to recall that our best bet for small quantity anti-matter power would be super-cooled lithium.

And then we have to figure out a way to efficiently capture all the energy output of anti-matter annihilation, which is one of the broadest spectrum energy releases imaginable. I mean, the only way we can efficiently capture the energy from nuclear decay is by heating up stuff and driving turbines. Maybe that's seriously what we'd do, some kind of nanoscopic molten salt turbine. Or maybe some kind of magnetic lithium gas turbine, that's an interesting idea.
>>
>>56945406
(cont) anyways I'm not sure it would ever make sense; except maybe in the way that you'd be in a military or deep space vehicle powered by anti-matter that leaches a little of that juice off to run its computer systems.

Plus, it's not likely to even be necessary. A portable nuclear "battery" would need a thin wrapper of lead or something, instead of complex cooling and magnetic manipulation systems, and would have, by a very rough calculation, well over a million times the unit energy per unit weight of lithium.
>>
>>56945121
Looks like finding a result using the derivative of a density-time graph.

>>56943279
Most likely never since they'll annihilate with their corresponding particle (electron and positron), just like >>56944910 said.

>>56945406
You could try and hope that a pair-production occurs, however there is an large element on unreliability in that course since there are no known conditions for pair-production to occur.
>>
How do you think you even bought it in the first place?!
>>
>>56943279
Depends on how long it takes for you to install gentoo
>>
>>56943279
Researching about other exotic matter might be beneficial for us desu.
>>
File: gap1.jpg (4KB, 298x180px) Image search: [Google]
gap1.jpg
4KB, 298x180px
>>56943279
How long until my computer went back in time?
>>
File: 1471895934898.jpg (56KB, 418x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471895934898.jpg
56KB, 418x720px
>>56943279
Incoming MBP is using antimatter power suppy, so you better get one.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.