[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we please have a solar panel thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

File: download.jpg (9KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 290x174px
Can we please have a solar panel thread?
>>
>>56943148

First for meme low-efficiency expensive technology.
>>
>>56943148
If you think solar panels are efficient you're delusional.
But sometimes they are the most convient short/medion-term solution
>>
>>56943148
Solar is a meme, nuclear power is better
>>
>>56943179
It'll be a few more years before anyone breaks the barrier and mass produces a 30% conversion efficiency panel. They have an awful long way to go.
Energy storage is as much of an issue today as it ever was.

We *could* solve these issues, but its billions of dollars in earnest work to be done. Too many of these so called green companies only exist to pilfer government grant money. No huge firm is spending $10,000,000,000 a year in R&D for mass solar power.
>>
>>56943148
Pretty hard to have a decent solar panel thread because exxon has a web crawler constantly looking for instances of the term "solar panel" on websites with a comments sections.
>>
>>56943219
Wind power generates more electricity and jobs than nuclear in North America now.
>>
>>56943179
>If you think solar panels are efficient you're delusional

>"We should never use or fund emerging technologies in hopes that they'll eventually get better, because fuck progress"

Okay
>>
>>56943263

Yeah but that doesnt make it better.
Anyways wasnt this thread about solar not renevable?
>>
Daily reminder that there are people on this board who believe global warming is a hoax perpetrated by Al Gore to enrich the illuminati.
>>
>>56943357
Well you can't trust anything on the internet since Al Gore made it.
>>
>>56943276

Yeah but who funds emerging technologies with that kind of money since they havent proven themselves?

Anyway I really believe we should focus on making nuclear better be it with fusion or whatever. Nuclear just happens to be a red flag to people because of the things it can do when not harnessed properly.
>>
>>56943276

You're retarded if you don't understand what he said. Solar panels are to nuclear what phaser was to laser 50 years ago. How many applications of the wonderful once-emerging technology of phaser have you seen recently?
>>
>>56943232
So you're saying we have the physical resources and interest, but funny-colored paper is holding us back?
>>
>>56943542

And thats new to you how?
>>
>>56943542
Yes. The man power is already there, distributed across a hundred universities all with their own solar projects. The issue of increasing conversion efficiency is being attacked by a hundred different angles. None of these groups have the money to really flesh something out and cultivate a production ready panel technology. So much of what is done in research ends up filed away in reports and journals that never get looked at. There has been more than one famous example of a group of researchers thinking they made a new breakthrough only to find out later on that their exact findings were published a decade prior. The topic newer attracted much attention so it was forgotten.

A single umbrella project with real funding needs to be established to bring these people together and give them the money necessary to produce real results. Thats something only a government can really do, but they have to actually be interested in it. Today the likely outcome would be creating a huge bureaucratic circlejerk of green weenies who want to pat themselves on the back while not accomplishing much.
If this were tied to a military project like nuclear power was things would be much different.
>>
>>56943655

Hopefully someone comes up with a solarbomb theory.
>>
R.I.P sweet prince.
For once /g/ was talking about something else than distros and coding.
>>
>>56943542
Can someone remind me again why money is still used?
>>
>>56943848
To buy things? What kind of retarded ass question is that?
>>
*Warm water* solar should get deployed immediately almost everywhere where we need warm water.

Electrical solar is more of a problem. Even just LiPo storage buffers aren't in widespread use and most power grids are unprepared for lots of solar.
>>
>>56943861
It just seems more and more that the reason we can't have great products isn't because of lack of resources or man-power, its a lack of paper...an artificial barrier, if you will.

It's like humanity locked ourselves behind a paywall that doesn't need to be there.
>>
reminder that nuclear energy has been fully reusable and efficient for decades.
>>
>>>/sci/
>>
>>56944028
>let me tell you about the jews anon
>>
>>56943928

Theres big problem with smsrt grids. As you said most grids arent built to handle power coming in from all these wierd sources. Thr best use case for solar energy would that everyone has their own panels and when they arent using that energy theyre sellinh it to the grid so there wont be that big of a problem storing it.
>>
>>56944085

So energy solutions are not tech enough?
>>
>>56943219
solar is nuclear..... :^)
>>
>>56944028
stop fantasizing that nonsense, there will always be money and classes
>>
>>56944052
you konw the fusion constant?
we'll have commercial fusion power in 20 years from now
has been true for 40 years now
kek
>>
>>56944258
There should be a way derive energy from skeptics. Say if a person says something snarky about the a challenging project not going well they should run a squirrel cage generator for an hour.
>>
The day humans figure out Fusion will be 2 years after we master Zero Point Energy.
>>
>>56944250
>there will always be money and classes

except there was a time when there was not either of those things, nice nonsense you got there buddy
>>
>>56946683
> implying
Literally when?

> inb4 JEWZ
Please say it.
>>
File: CSP-power-tower.jpg (143KB, 500x397px) Image search: [Google]
CSP-power-tower.jpg
143KB, 500x397px
>ITT: Programming monkeys discussing engineering.
EE here, and solar energy isn't restricted to only PV system (ie, silicon based), you can use CSP (pic related) for a better results.
>>
>>56947163
i'm guessing PV is photovoltaic, what is CSP?
>>
>>56947176
concentrated solar power
>>
File: sjH5r.jpg (144KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sjH5r.jpg
144KB, 1600x1200px
>>56944258
that's only true because we are not willing to invest properly in fusion
it's expensive as fuck to get it started
>>
>>56947163
Solar-thermal towers seem to also be pretty solid.
>Nuclear
Fusion probably never, but Liquid Thorium seemed good if a bit of a meme, and i think there's certain Fast-Breeders that actually run on spent waste but i can't remember much now.
>>
>>56947271
>because we are not willing to invest properly in fusion

Thanks Obama. And, Thanks, Killary, for your fucking War on Coal.
>>
>>56947271
So long as oil comes out of the middle east we'd rather spend money on tanks and guns to shoot the mudslimes threatening our oil wells
>>
File: Screenshot-5.png (398KB, 1366x1417px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-5.png
398KB, 1366x1417px
>>56947327
It is, and it doesn't have the limitation of PV (the PV efficiency is decreased when the temperature increase), no batteries problems, it is only a mirror with a controller (for tower type)
Still not popular though as it is only beneficial on hot areas (desert)

As a note: I'm designing one right now (pic related)
>>
>>56947851
>I'm designing one right now
what do you work as?
>>
>>56943420
>since they havent proven themselves?
Half of the houses in germoney have them, and we don't even have much sun. They produce plenty of energy to be worthwhile.
>>
File: solar-panels-german-roofs.jpg (45KB, 530x300px) Image search: [Google]
solar-panels-german-roofs.jpg
45KB, 530x300px
>>56947934
Pic related
>>
>>56947327
I read the recent Solar tower in california (?) is failing commercially
>>
>>56947934
>Half of the houses in germoney
source or bust, i see them rarely here
>>
>>56948114

This?
>>56947963
>>
>>56948574
you can always cherrypick, from personal experience far less than 1/2 the houses here have solar panels
>>
>>56946683
Even fucking cavemen had a form of economy.
Fiat currencies just make trading easier.
>>
File: solar.png (506KB, 998x584px) Image search: [Google]
solar.png
506KB, 998x584px
>>56943179
They bring in as much energy as it took to make them in roughly 20 years. It's not great yet, but it's getting better.

As >>56943232 said, the problem with high-efficiency solar panels is mass production. Those in my picture are mostly just tested in a lab.
>>
>>56943148

Everything you will ever need to know about sowa panels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVYUPmjJ9bU
>>
>>56948655
>trade
Resource Based Economy
>>
>>56948617
It's still a shitload of them. Especially in bavaria where I live. People here act like solar panel technology is non existent and has yet to be developed, which is absolutely not true.

Murica I guess.
>>
>>56947924
Lead design engineer.
>>
>>56946683
>will
>was

Not even a proper response to what he said. The last man that spat bullshit like you anon was nailed to two pieces of wood.

Modern society can't run without currency.
>>
Why not harvest helium 3 from space?
>>
>>56943688
wasnt that nuclear?
>>
>>56943148
Daily reminder we are headed full Mad Max
>http://www.vox.com/2016/10/4/13118594/2-degrees-no-more-fossil-fuels

Bring on the solar
>>
>>56944028
Id like to interject that not a lot of funny green paper actually is moved its litteraly just the theory that green paper is moving.
>>
>>56945659
solved
>>
>buy solar panels
>get government funding on power that you deliver
>paid off after 10 years
>funding runs out after 20 for an installation
>good amount of money left over

>new negotiated power price is shit
>thing breaks all the time, delivering no power for days or weeks at a time
>have to pay taxes on power you use yourself from your own solar panel installation
Germany
>>
>>56951518
That's terrible, but I don't understand why you have to pay for your power from your solar panels, unless you get support as far as repairs or something from the government.
>>
File: Nuclear-symbol.png (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nuclear-symbol.png
27KB, 600x600px
I absolutely hate it

I just, jesus, oh please, do you imagine the future where we sacrifice HUGE amount of surfaces to panel to get some pitiful amount of energy?

Or huge turbines on every hilltop?

fucking jew nigger faggots hippies.

We need to go for 4th gen nuclear full throthle.
Liquid Floride Thorium Rector is the light

maybe beyond that theres fusion, but thats so damn complicatted.

LIFTR could provide whole planet with CHEAP, SAFE energy for centuries :(
>>
>>56951590
>unless you get support as far as repairs or something from the government.
Nothing like that, you get the price that the local power offers + subsidy. You have to organize all repairs, etc. from that money yourself, and big solar owners need to register a business for it.
I guess the tax is because power gets fed into the grid first, then you get it back to your home via power line. Even if you modify your installation in a way that avoids this (battery or similar) taxes still apply.
>>
>>56951475
So what you're saying is its a make-believe game of numbers?
>>
File: 1474358679646.jpg (35KB, 391x332px) Image search: [Google]
1474358679646.jpg
35KB, 391x332px
The Russians and Chinese are building nuclear cheaper than wind.

Russia just started up a Gen IV fast reactor.

Solar is an expensive meme.
>>
>>56954160
>Russia building more nuclear plants
Can't wait to see how they break this one
>>
Solar is not a replacement source of power, but it can supplement a home well. If you have your own personal battery then you can store your own energy too. You can power an entire home with solar if your house is insulated and you're not a huge power hog. That said I can't imagine many industries using solar, just homes.
Fuck wind turbines. I was all for them until I saw them in real life- they are humongous and ruined the area were they were planted.
>>
>>56954562
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollution_of_Lake_Karachay
>>
>>56954676
>They are humongous and ruined the area were they were planted
Couldn't that be said for every form of power generation? Admittedly you need more turbines and have them spread out but still.
Anyone know if wave energy technology ever evolved past being a meme?
>>
>>56954562
It was technically in modern day Ukraine made by Soviets, not Russians.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.