[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Normalfag tries out Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: normalfags.jpg (106KB, 500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
normalfags.jpg
106KB, 500x1200px
So I have a 'client' that wants to try out GNU/Linux. He is a normalfag for the most part and is only use to Windows, but says he can adapt.

My Question: What is the best GNU/Linux distro out there for normalfags?
>>
Ubuntu or elementary OS.
>>
templeOS
>>
>>56940918

>client

What kind of business are you running that you have to have /g/ do your job for you
>>
>>56941243
He roleplays on the internet
>>
>>56941243
What this guy said.>>56941289
>>
https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/soas/
>>
>>56940918
Linux Lite

>Debian
Freetard Autism
>Fedora
Freetard Autism
>Ubuntu
Unity slow as shit
>Xubuntu
almost ok
>Ubuntu MATE
Okay as well
>>
OpenSUSE
>>
>>56940918
I've installed ubuntu mate with the Linux Mint start menu on a laptop that ended up being my mom's classmate. The thing used to crash within seconds of Windows booting (hardware or GPU driver issue), so I know they didn't reinstall. Haven't heard a single complaint, she probably uses it to browse the internet and it still works a treat.
>>
>>56940918
Ubuntu or solus
>>
Ubuntu isnt babby first linux distro for no reason.
Recommending anything else will be a pain in the ass for a normie who cant even search properly
>>
>>56940918

Moar shitposting.......

If you need to be asking these kinds of questions you obviously have no clue what you are doing.

OP's client phones him at 3am(OP has installed Linux) saying "Muh Computer is Rekt, OP. You need to fix it"

Good Luck and God Bless you, OP.
>>
>>56943033

This. The fact that there's a lot of already replied questions is enough to make it the best GNU/Linux for a noob.

>>56943071

>OP will get more work and charge the nightly fee

And earning money is bad because...?
>>
>>56940918
install Linux Mint. it's goat.

if your'e coming from Win, LM will look familiar.
>>
>>56942673
A million times this.

Make it openSUSE Tumbleweed.
>>
>>56940918
>anyone who doesn’t hold a politically correct opinion
Woah that was out of nowhere. Being a conservative is literally the most normie thing I can think of. Just demographically.
>>
File: clean_sakuya.jpg (154KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
clean_sakuya.jpg
154KB, 1280x851px
Ubuntu or Linux Mint
>>
>>56943133

OP doesn't know what they are doing.
>>
>>56940918
mint
>>
>>56940918
Do not do Mint. It's absolute shit. Do Ubuntu or Debian. Ubuntu if he's stupid. Debian if you actually think he can take it seriously and learn.
>>
Your friend must be a pretty nice guy to put up with your pushy bullshit
>>
File: 1475581961779.jpg (68KB, 500x417px) Image search: [Google]
1475581961779.jpg
68KB, 500x417px
>>56940991
this. anyone who doesn't use templeOS is a heathen.
>>
File: untitled.png (46KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
46KB, 250x150px
Don't you guys get tired of this same thread everyday?
>>
Don't do ubuntu or debian. ubuntu is stupid. Debian if you want him to commit suicide.
Use mint.
>>
>>56940918
>he thinks his love of anime makes him special
>>
>>56940918
noobuntu is the way to go

very normie friendly
>>
>>56943994
WTF is wrong with Debian ?. It's god tier comfy.
>>
>>56943970
Yeah
but where else am i gonna go?
>>
Ubuntu. Ubuntu mate. Or Solus.
>>
>>56945244
This. But only Ubuntu mate if you're willing to help him. I setup Ubuntu mate for my mom and made it look more like windows.

She's really happy with it. Made her turionx2 laptop run faster than new according to her
>>
>>56943225
Go with mint. All the other linux will freak him out. If he's into it he'll move on to other linux.
>>
>>56940918
Linux Mint

/thread
>>
*buntu.
Say it's shit all you want it works for new users and if they can run Windows they can handle unity, if not then xubuntu.
Mint is also pretty good
>>
>>56943071
if i'm OP, i casually ask that just to have conversations because i'm lonely
>>
>>56943033
>Ubuntu isnt babby first linux distro for no reason
This.

Ubuntu is (for Linux anyway) a just-werx OS.

Everything that can go wrong is already answered on askubuntu or segfault.
>>
>>56943033

Mint > Ubuntu, though.

Ubuntu lets you "upgrade" your system which can be a total data loss if you dont know how to fix it.

Also Ubuntu is pretty wierd when it comes to codecs, Mint "just werks" without being retarded about policies and licensing.
>>
>>56940918
Give him arch and if he survives you've made a real person out of him
>>
>>56948658
Mint is so much easier to break though
>>
>>56948658
I would say this aside my fn hotkeys dont work for brightness
>>
File: TwFdvykK-Jo.jpg (51KB, 604x510px) Image search: [Google]
TwFdvykK-Jo.jpg
51KB, 604x510px
>>56940918
This >>56942465
Linux Lite is the most normie of all distros, even easier to use than windows xp.
>>
LXLE
>>
Obviously Ubuntu?
>>
>>56940918
Imo, the best distro in the Ubuntu family is Ubuntu MATE. I dont' know if GTK3 has made it upstream in Ubuntu for MATE, but it's the first Ubuntu distro (having tried Ubuntu GNOME, and Xubuntu) that really gave me good vibes on. No bloat, everything works, easy to make look good. I run mine like I would Cinnamon. (MATE menu, one bar). Best of all is that it is lightweight, and probably the most stable DE in the market since it is a fork of GNOME 2. Linux Mint gets a lot of praise around here...I think it's a meme but it is an option.

I don't think Ubuntu Unity is a BAD place to start, but I find myself really turned off by canonical's pet project and Unity. Also Xubuntu is good.

I hesitantly recommend looking at KDE neon, but I don't know a lot about it. I believe it's the official distro of the KDE devs, so perhaps it is a bit more stable.

Manjaro isn't bad; coming form Arch I can't think of a single Arch related thing I've had to do. But I would tend more towards a Debian based distro first and foremost.
>>
>>56940918
Manjaro, seriously. I am maintaining a PC running openSUSE Leap and it's buggy as hell, although this is supposed to be the "stable" version. I don't want to know how Tumbleweed runs. I've seen what a clusterfuck Ubuntu/-based distros are with several of my friends who used them as daily-driver, which wondered me as Ubuntu was supposed to be the go-to distro for beginners.
>>
>>56943326
>Being a conservative is literally the most normie thing I can think of. Just demographically
retard
>>
Whatever version the latest Ubuntu LTS is.
>>
>>56950916
I use tumbleweed on my laptop for work, school and play as daily driver. All fine no issues with stability. More stable than *ubuntu
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.