[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Great Debate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: s5a.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
s5a.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
Back to the age old question, buttons. Or more specifically physical buttons.

Do you prefer physical buttons, or not? Why?

I really liked the well textured buttons the S5 Active
>>
you like them because they are actual physical buttons, not the bullshit touch ones that you can't feel or even fucking see in some cases, so you have zero feedback
>>
Physical buttons or bust
>>
>>56933006
>>56932969
I prefer capacitive buttons like in the Chinese phones.

Would be easier for waterproofing and looks more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.
>>
>>56933028
i'd rather have the onscreen buttons. capacitive buttons are dumb
>>
>>56933208
On screen buttons waste screen space you dumb nigger
>>
>>56933267
I just don't understand how anyone could be moronic enough to have this opinion. Capacitive button take up face space that could be used for extra screen. If you remove the capacitive buttons and put more screen in their place, you can have on screen buttons that are the exact same size and have the exact same functionality, but with the added benefit of disappearing when you're watching video or doing other full screen tasks.
>>
MUH BUTTONS
Fuck off dad. Smartphones should be one big screen on the front, no buttons whatsoever. Then add a little screenlock/poweron button on the side, and MAYBE volume controls.
>>
>>56934447
I agree. Capacitive button fags must be the 1% of the population that actually cares about having an extra centimeter of vertical space on their screens at all times instead of smaller bezels and the ability to have dynamic buttons. I'm sure that tiny slice of visible content really comes in handy.

It's physical buttons for that tactility or on screen buttons for those tiny bezels and dynamic buttons. There is literally no justification for capacitive buttons at this point.
>>
File: iphone se.jpg (378KB, 1313x889px) Image search: [Google]
iphone se.jpg
378KB, 1313x889px
>>56932969
Yes, because:
1. you can feel the orientation without looking at the phone
2. the best usability when combined with a fingerprint scanner
3. leaves the entire screen for actual content

I hate iOS, but iPhones are the best example of common sense/usability (if we ignore the removal of the 3.5mm port). Pic related is perfection. An Android maker that does something like this gets my money.
>>
File: moto-x-green-orange.jpg (197KB, 740x490px) Image search: [Google]
moto-x-green-orange.jpg
197KB, 740x490px
>>56934671
>you can feel the orientation without looking at the phone

That wouldn't be a problem if phones weren't so symmetrical. Moto X's design was great. I would never accidentally hold it upside down because the shape of the body made it impossible to make that mistake. I've pulled my S7 out and held it upside down several times even with the button on the bottom bezel.
>>
File: 5192015110823AM_635_oppo_r7.jpg (23KB, 635x476px) Image search: [Google]
5192015110823AM_635_oppo_r7.jpg
23KB, 635x476px
>>56934447
>capacitive buttons = bigger bezels
True, but the difference is like 1mm, vs the 1cm height of on screen buttons.
>>
Physical buttons are great, at the bare minimum on the home button so you can wake your phone easier
>>
I'm a physical button fag but I still have problems with buttins being on the bottom of the screen.
Why can't all controls be on the sides so I don't have to contrort my hand and get CTS just to bring up the home button on phones with fuckhuge screens?
>>
>>56932969
I could go either way really. Both get the job done when they work correctly, and both can be a serious pain in the ass when they don't.

Physical buttons are simpler, and therefore less likely to malfunction, and easier to repair or bypass if necessary. I'm a machinist. I like for shit to work as expected, and to be as easy as possible to deal with when they don't.
>>
>>56932969
On screen buttons are by far the best.

Physical buttons just waste space and are clunky.
>>
>>56934447
Except you're wrong. All mainstream phone screens are 16:9, and the on-screen buttons take up around 1/10 of the screen. So, yes, the on-screen buttons waste otherwise usable screen space.
>>
>>56934906

double tap for waking up
>>
>>56935133
>Physical buttons are simpler, and therefore less likely to malfunction

That's totally wrong though. The failing home button is one of the reasons Apple moved to the capacitive home button on the new iPhone.
>>
>>56933267
not when the buttons disappear dumb fuck
>>
>>56935199
see
>>56934578

What are you using that tiny amount of vertical space for? Have you ever moved from a phone with capacitive buttons to one with on screen buttons and thought "damn I really miss having that extra centimeter of vertical space"?
>>
>>56935133
Unless you're using a dumb phone, if your onscreen buttons are fucked chances are your whole shit is fucked anyway.
>>
Physical buttons, impossible to accidentally press them
>>
>>56935314
Yes, actually. I have a OP2 and I can use on-screen buttons if I want. I choose not to due to the loss of screen real estate.
>>
>>56935524
Uhh but the buttons just take up more phone real estate. If they removed the buttons, they could make the phone smaller.
>>
Capacitive buttons
>don't take up screen real estate
>located on the chin that's there anyway, might as well make that space useful
>can be easily remapped to do whatever
>the icons will always be wrong though (OP3 has dots but it won't tell you which button does what)

On-screen buttons
>take up a small amount of screen real estate
>endlessly customisable, can change according to context on screen
>won't work if the screen gets fucked

I have an OP3 and I choose to use capacitive buttons because of reasons stated by >>56935524
>>
I'd rather have some buttons on the bottom than a huge, empty bezel.
>>
>>56935752
Capacitive buttons usually don't work if the screen gets fucked either. They're usually all on the same digitizer.
>>
In theory I like software buttons because it grants you more screen real estate if you hide them, in practice nobody ever takes advantage of this by decreasing the lower bezel so it actually kind of sucks.
>>
>>56932969
Dislike them for simple use like in smart phones. Mostly because they require significantly more pressure to activate and make holding the phone more awkward. At least, that's the case with the s5a, might be different with other implementations.
>>
>>56935237
Doesn't always work
>>
I've got the oneplus 2 ( A THREE? ) it has a non moving home button/fingerprint scanner with 2 capacitive buttons. Can switch to on-screen if i want. Tap to wake functions too.
>>
Onscreen buttons because you can turn them off. Buttons are a waste of space.
>>
Physical buttons break. I love the double tap on screen to wake up feature in new phones, I press the power button like once a day now. Compare that with 10 an hour with my old phone - had to replace the damn button after two years.
>>
>>56937506
I'd rather have the chance of my phone breaking than be plagued with capacitive or on screen bullshit
>>
Physical buttons.

Physical landscape keyboard.

Everything else is just shit.
>>
>>56939228
>not a portrait keyboard
>>
>>56939351
Portrait is worthless trash.
>>
File: motorola-nexus-6-1.jpg (46KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
motorola-nexus-6-1.jpg
46KB, 600x426px
Nexus 6 did software buttons amazingly well. Small bottom bezel that still manages to fit front facing speakers, and with the buttons showing is the same size as the top bezel.
>>
>>56934482
>maybe volume controls
what are you on? How would you change volume with your phone in your pocket or otherwise without having to look at the thing? Do you never wear headsets out of the house?
>>
>>56939987
Top kek
>>
>>56935288
Then what the fuck do you press?
>make buttons disappear for more screen space
>can't press any buttons anymore

HaHa capacitive master race you stupid nigger
>>
>>56941206
>capacitive
>master race
kek
>>
>>56933267
I liked having a pop-out keyboard.

Then faggots like you ruined everything good in handheld phones and tried to make them into computers.
>>
>>56941206
The screen is still touchscreen moron
>>
>>56932969
I like on screen and physical buttons but the capacitive ones are shit. I always end up triggering them by accident and the light up ones hurt my eyes at night.
>>
>>56941257
So you pretty much cripple your phone into needing iPhone tier back buttons that'll waste screen space in order to hide your Navigation keys in an attempt to save screen space?

No thanks. I've used both and I'm sticking to phones with superior capacitive buttons.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.