[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

you like teh KDE neon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (511KB, 1645x1237px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
511KB, 1645x1237px
you like teh KDE neon?
>>
never used it
>>
I dont see the point of it over debian with kde unless youre like a big fan of kde software package or something
>>
File: Rei is KDE.webm (384KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Rei is KDE.webm
384KB, 640x360px
>>56928847
KDE Man uses it
>>
>>56928847
>try KDE neon today
>it starts booting
>screen goes black
>Monitor: signal out of sync
>Ctrl+Alt+F1
>nothing
>GTX 1080/Pascal support is so nonexistent that it won't even give me a text-only terminal
>>
>>56929266
more like you fucked up your kernel boot parameters, happens every other nvidia model with nouveau
>>
>>56929326
It was a live image, bog-standard ISO. I also tried Ubuntu 16.04.1, Debian, Fedora and some other shit (not today, a few months back) and nothing works. After a bit of read I found out that pretty much everything that's released and stable does not support Pascal at all because nouveau is apparently too old.

It's mind-boggling that all these different desktop distros don't even have some sort of emergency fallback built-in that would at the very least dump me at a text mode terminal so I could install the proprietary driver. It can be worked around (by using an iGPU for instance), but I couldn't believe this shit was happening. The fucking UEFI manages to draw shit to the screen and have mouse support with no special drivers but all these modern Linux distros completely shit themselves and refuse to function.
>>
>>56929447
It's not about the iso, it's about the libre nvidia driver being garbage. It has absolutely nothing to do with pascal because nouveau basically supports nothing.

When you're on nvidia under linux you use the nvidia proprietary driver. The nvidia driver in linux is as good/better than the driver in windows. You boot around them trying to forcefeed you nouveau because nouveau usually doesn't work.

They literally can't ship you a working driver because nvidia won't let them, that's the cost you pay for dealing with nvidia.
>>
>>56929480
I'm not sure why exactly Ubuntu can't ship with the proprietary driver, it has an applet that downloads and installs it automatically anyway. Purely for ideological reasons, or what? NVIDIA won't allow Linux distros to ship with their proprietary driver, but will allow it to be downloaded and installed automatically?

I've been running Linux on my headless home server for years and never had to fuck with kernel boot parameters, I take it I have to go digging through that crock of shit if I even want to have a chance at installing the proprietary driver?

I mentioned the ISO because you said I fucked up the kernel parameters - if they're fucked up then they're fucked by default, not because I did anything to them.
>>
>>56929628
Theres a bootflag 'nomodeset' or something, or you normally blacklist the nouveau kernel module.

They're fucked by default cause novueau is fucked by default. Should just boot to whatever, mesa or a framebuffer driver or something.
>>
>>56929690
I just tried Neon with nomodeset, didn't do shit but I'm not going to fuck with it anymore right now.
>>
>>56929818
Just blacklist the fucking nouveau.
>>
And btw, you can try sysreq + k combo (google it) to shut down X.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.