[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Fortran is so fast, why it isn't used instead of C?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: ibm1.jpg (12KB, 250x325px) Image search: [Google]
ibm1.jpg
12KB, 250x325px
If Fortran is so fast, why it isn't used instead of C?
>>
because c has epic libraries 40 years and growing
>>
>>56927242
/Thread
>>
we use it all the time
>>
>>56927200
Look at Java
>>
>>56927200
I use both in my work.

The speed thing is less and less of a concern with each passing year.
>>
>>56927200
Because it's barely faster than C and far more annoying to program in
>>
>>56927352
>far more annoying
How? i use it and its not annoying and its actually easier than C
>>
>>56927352
It's really not more annoying to work with Fortran. In-fact after a while you learn to appreciate just how strait-forward it is. It's a language with a purpose that's well defined. I'm going to miss it when we phase it out next year.
>>
>>56927608
This. The real reason is the same reason people unironically use java and javascript and python.
>>
>>56927662
> missing languages
/g/ needs more of this calibre senpai
>>
>>56927662
>strait-forward
straightforward
>>
Most contemporary books on Fortran focus on its use in mathematics/scientific calculation. Almost no Fortran books cover its use in general purpose programming.
>>
Waiting for Fortran 2015
Fortran + C. Perfect
>>
But machine language is the fastest
the closest to the hardware you go the faster the operations will be.
>>
>>56927200
Because all of the low level Intel libraries are bound exclusively to C. So you kinda have to follow their rules to even write software.

In other words, we've been cucked since the early 1990s.
>>
File: FortranCardPROJ039.agr.jpg (376KB, 1687x809px) Image search: [Google]
FortranCardPROJ039.agr.jpg
376KB, 1687x809px
>>56927200
here ya go, cram this in your CD/DVD from drive and come back and tell us how it worked
>>
>>56927200
As hard as it is to believe C is actually more forgiving in some very subtle but important ways.

In any case, C won out because of its libraries and because the edge cases where Fortran code would be faster can almost all be solved by proper use of compiler flags and code styles. This isn't to mention that getting Fortran to work consistently across architectures or dealing with its I/O system was a nightmare for a long time.
>>
>>56927732
>tfw spend my days maintaining web applications written in Fortran
>>
Fortran is domain specific, the domain being number crunching.
C is more general purpose and has a wide ecosystem.
>>
>>56927945
good ol' carriage control column!
>>
>>56927945
Computing went downhill after this
>>
>>56928294
Computing went downhill after the introduction of symbolic assemblers. All that came after that was essentially bloat.
>>
>>56927804

Only if you think you can do a better job then compilers. So in practise, not for for most people.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.